© 1998 Allyn D. Nevitt

IJN Harukaze: Tabular Record of Movement

Name Translation: "Spring Breeze"

Initial Command Structure:
Ship's captain: Lieutenant Commander Koeu Keiji [57]. Assigned to Desdiv 5 (ASAKAZE, HARUKAZE, MATSUKAZE, HATAKAZE), Desron 5, Third Fleet. Flagship of Comdesdiv 5, Commander Nomaguchi Kanetomo [48].

26-29 November 1941:
Desdiv 5 steamed with Desron 5 from Terashima Strait to Mako (Pescadores).

7-10 December:
Departed Mako, then with Aparri (Philippines) invasion force. Minor damage: in air attack due to near-miss.

22 December:
Desdiv 5 with Lingayen invasion force.

31 December 1941-18 January 1942:
Escorted troop convoys from Formosa to Singora (Malaya) and back.

2-8 February:
Desdiv 5 escorted troop convoy from Formosa to Camranh Bay.

27 February:
Desdiv 5 with Western Java invasion force.

1 March: Battle of Sunda Strait
Contributed torpedoes to spreads that helped sink HMAS PERTH and USS HOUSTON (CA-30). Minor damage: to bridge, engine room and rudder: three dead and 15 injured.

10 March:
Desron 5 deactivated; Desdiv 5 reassigned to First Southern Expeditionary Force, Southwest Area Fleet.

10-13 March:
Desdiv 5 escorted convoy from Java to Singapore, then docked for repairs.

19 March-14 April:
Escorted troop convoys from Singapore to Penang and Rangoon and back.

25 April:
Departed Singapore, then French Indochina-area convoy escort duties.

19 September:
Departed Surabaya, escorting troop convoy to Rabaul.

30 September:
Lieutenant Commander Koeu (to C.O. NUMAKAZE) relieved by Lieutenant (s.g.) Morimoto Yoshihisa [60].

1 November:
Lieutenant Morimoto promoted to Lieutenant Commander. Departed Ambon, escorting troop convoy to Western New Guinea.

16 November:
Heavy damage:
hit mine in Surabaya's North Channel: bow severed.

17 November 1942-2 May 1943:
Emergency repairs at Surabaya.

25 February 1943:
Desdiv 5 deactivated; reassigned to 1st Surface Escort Division, Southwest Area Fleet.

15 April:
Designated "reserve ship."

8-27 May:
Steamed from Surabaya to Kure, then docked for repairs.

25 August:
Reassigned to Kure Naval District.

6 September:
Departed Kure, escorting convoy to Palau.

23 September-9 October:
Escorted Aobasan Maru and Mayasan Maru from Palau to Ujina.

5 November:
Lieutenant Commander Morimoto (later C.O. KAYA) relieved by Lieutenant Commander Fukuyama Tsuyoshi [58] (prev. C.O, MINAZUKI).

18-29 December:
Escorted convoy from Saeki to Palau.

1-12 January 1944:
Escorted convoy from Palau to Ujina.

25 January-5 February:
Escorted convoy from Moji to Palau.

18 February-1 March:
Escorted convoys between Palau and Formosa.

19-24 March:
Escorted Convoy HI-55 from Moji to Takao.

28 April-2 May:
Escorted convoy from Takao to Manila.

11-17 September:
Escorted convoy from Moji to Takao.

8-10 October:
Joined and escorted convoy into Manila from Miri, Borneo.

20-26 October:
Escorted Convoy Mata No. 30 from Manila to Takao; on 24th possibly sank USS SHARK (SS-314) with depth charges.

4 November:
Medium damage:
torpedoed by USS SAILFISH (SS-192) in Luzon Strait.

10 January 1945:
Attached to First Escort Fleet, General Escort Command.

21 January:
Medium damage: in attack by aircraft of TF 38 near Mako; later towed to Japan.

29 March:
Arrived Sasebo, then docked for repairs.

30 April:
Designated "reserve ship," then in Sasebo, unrepaired, through end of war.

10 November 1945:
Removed from Navy List. Later used as breakwater in Kyoto Prefecture.

Back to Long Lancers Page