(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-132:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2009-2016 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Revision 4

10 April 1944:
Harima. Laid down at Harima Ship Building, Ltd.

25 June 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-132.

31 July 1944:
Reserve LtCdr Takemura Misao (former navigating officer of AKASHI) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

7 September 1944: 1944:
Completed and registered in the IJN. Reserve LtCdr Takemura Misao is the Commanding Officer.

18 October 1944:
CD-132 is assigned to the General Escort Command's First Surface Escort Division.

20 October 1944: Operation SHO-I-GO ("Victory") – The Battle of Leyte Gulf:
CD-132 departs Yashima anchorage with kaibokan CD-22, CD-29, CD-31, CD-33 and CD-43 escorting oilers TAKANE and JINEI MARUs of Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo's (37) (former CO of HARUNA) Northern "decoy" Mobile Force’s Second Supply Force. The Supply Force supports Ozawa's CarDiv 3's ZUIKAKU, ZUIHO, CHITOSE and CHIYODA and CarDiv 4's hybrid HYUGA and ISE.

21 October 1944:
TAKANE MARU and kaibokan CD-33 and CD-22 and CD-29 depart Tokuyama Navy Fuel Depot for Koniya, Kakaroma-Jima, Ryukyus. JINEI MARU and CD-31, CD-43 and CD-132 depart Kure. Destroyer AKIKAZE is to follow.

24 October 1944:
S of Ashizuri Saki, Japan. At about 0400, Cdr Thomas L. Wogan's (USNA ’30) USS BESUGO (SS-321) torpedoes and heavily damages CD-132 at 30-19N, 132-49E. CD-132 was escorting the Second Supply Force (which also included JINEI MARU) with two other kaibokans and possibly AKIKAZE when attacked. The torpedo hits the bow, detonates the magazine and a gasoline tank; the entire bow section is blown away and fires broke out. The bridge is wrenched loose from its foundation and crushes the stack abaft it. Five officers (including the CO) and 66 sailors were killed.

The forward boiler room is partially flooded, but the crew manage to restore power aboard and pump the boiler room dry, thus saving the ship.

26 October 1944:
Arrives at Kure.

October 1944-10 December 1944:
CD-132 undergoes battle-damage repairs at Kure Navy Yard. A new bow and bridge were fitted.

10 November 1944:
Reserve Lt Fubuki Norishige is appointed CO.

10 December 1944:
CD-132 is reassigned to the General Escort Command's First Escort Command.

5 January 1945:
At 1400 departs Saiki after training exercises.

6 January 1945:
At 0700 arrives at Kure.

11 January 1945:
At 0700 departs Kure and at 1500 arrives at Moji.

14 January 1945:
At 0700, CD-132, departs Moji with kaibokan MANJU, CD-31, CD-144, destroyer SHIOKAZE and subchasers CH-19 and CH-57 escorting convoy MOTA-32 consisting of DAIKYO, TENSHO, SAMARANG, AIZAN, SHUNSHO, MASASHIMA and DAISHUN MARUs, TAMON MARU No. 16 and four unidentified merchants, possibly including TETSUYO and TATSUHARU MARUs. The convoy hugs the continental coast as it heads south.

20 January 1945:
Arrives at Heiniu Wan.

21 January 1945:
At 0700 departs Heiniu Wan and later that day arrives at Sanmen Bay.

22 January 1945:
Early in the morning, convoy MOTA-32 departs Sanmen Bay, China. At 1600, arrives at Namkwan (now Namquan) Bay and joins convoy TAMO-38 sheltering there consisting of DAINAN, BINGO, TOYOKAWA, RASHIN, SHINNO and TATSUWA MARUs and NICHIYU No. 7. MOTA-32 anchors in five columns nearest the bay entrance.

23 January 1945:
At 0402, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral/MOH) Eugene B. Fluckey's (USNA '35) USS BARB (SS-220) discovers the anchored ships and skillfully enters the bay. At 0402, Fluckey fires a full salvo of torpedoes. DAIKYO MARU is hit and her cargo of munitions detonates in a massive explosion killing 56 crewmen, 28 gunners and 360 of 558 troops; also lost are six Daihatsu and two shohatsu landing craft.

At 0600, the remainder of the convoy departs the anchorage. Later that day arrives at Niu Shan Tao.

24 January 1944:
At 0400 departs Niu Shan Tao.

25 January 1945:
At 1200 arrives at Keelung.

26 January 1945:
At 0600 departs Kirun. Together with CD-31 and CD-132 meets up with KIBITSU MARU and escorts the ship with kaibokan MANJU to join YUTA-15 bound for Moji and also consisting of TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE) and AKISHIMA MARUs escorted by kaibokan UKURU, TSUSHIMA, DAITO and CD-27.

27 January 1945:
At 0600 MANJU, CD-31, CD-132 and CD-144 arrives at Mako. At 1700 departs Mako with CD-31, CD-144 and MANJU.

3 February 1945:
At 1200 arrives at Singapore.

9 February 1945:
At 0800, CD-132 departs Singapore with patrol boat PB-104 and subchaser CH-63 escorting convoy HI-88E consisting of tanker ENKEI MARU and cargo ship SHINYU MARU.

E 14 February 1945:
Arrives at Cap St Jacques. CH-63 is detached.

15 February 1945:
At 1640, arrives at Camranh Bay, Indochina.

16 February 1945:
At 0700, departs Camranh Bay. That evening, at 1124, anchors at Binhoang Bay.

17 February 1945:
At 0600, departs Binhoang Bay Indochina.

18 February 1945:
At 1928, arrives at Tourane.

19 February 1945:
At 0800, departs Tourane. A B-24 heavy bomber attack is beaten off without loss.

21 February 1945:
Hainan Island Strait. Lays over several hours because of dense fog.

28 February 1945:
At 0530 arrives at Meisan Liehtao.

2 March 1945:
At 0650 departs Meisan Liehtao.

6 March 1945:
At 1724 arrives at Choshohori, Koje Island.

7 March 1945:
At 0556 departs Koje Island. At 1605, arrives Miura Wan, Tsushima

8 March 1945:
At 0532 departs Miura Wan and at 1617 arrives at Moji.

9 March 1945:
At 0807 departs Moji, and at 1607 arrives at Kure. Undergoes repairs.

23 March 1945:
At 1820 departs Kure.

24 March 1945:
At 1153 arrives at Moji and departs at 1703.

25 March 1945:
At 1650 arrives at Komun Island.

26 March 1945:
At 0435 departs Komun Island.

27 March 1945:
At 0937 arrives at Komun Island.

29 March 1945:
At 0700 departs Komun Island.

30 March 1945:
At 0907 arrives at Komun Island.

7 April 1945:
At 1200 CD-14, CD-16, CD-46, CD-112 and CD-132 all depart Kobun Island on an anti submarine sweep.

8 April 1945:
At 0800 CD-14 and CD-132 arrive at Songsanpo and departs there at 1450.

9 April 1945:
At 0730 CD-14 and CD-132 arrive at Kobun Island.

17 April 1945:
At 1930 CD-14 and CD-132 depart Kobun Island.

18 April 1945:
Korea Strait, SE of Chejudo (Quelpart) Island. At dawn when conducting an anti-submarine sweep in the area 33-42N, 128-36E, CD-132 and CD-14 sight a surfaced submarine and start a chase. This is Cdr Harry H. Greer Jr.'s (USNA '34) USS SEAHORSE (SS-304) on her seventh war patrol. At 0512 (I), her SJ radar detects two small targets at 8,000 yds; two patrol boats are sighted two minutes later.

At 0530 CD-14 opens fire from the 12-cm deck gun, forcing the submarine to dive to the 300-ft depth. USS SEAHORSE attempts to confuse the attackers, releasing two electronic decoys. Nevertheless the kaibokans, later joined by CD-16, stay on target, dropping a total of 48 depth charges. A large oil slick is observed on the surface. Upon the return to their base CD-14 and CD-132 claim the submarine as sunk.

In reality the crippled USS SEAHORSE is forced to terminate the patrol and to return to Guam.

20 April 1945:
At 1400 CD-14 and CD-132 arrive back at Kobun Island.

29 April 1945:
At 1530 CD-14, CD-46 and CD-132 depart Kobun Island.

30 April 1945:
At 1900 the ships arrive at an unknown location.

10 June 1945:
CD-132 departs Daito Bay for Tsingtao, China with kaibokan CD-16 escorting convoy TASE-04. The convoy consists of FUKUI MARU No. 2 and SOKKYU MARU No. 3.

12 June 1945:
SE of Shantung Peninsula. Aircraft bomb and sink FUKUI MARU No. 2. 37 crewmen are killed.

14 June 1945:
Arrives at Tsingtao.

25 June 1945 :
CD-132 departs Dairen, Manchuria with kaibokan KANAWA, CD-14, and auxiliary minesweepers Wa-19 and Wa-20 escorting convoy DAFU-05 consisting of KYUKO, KONEI, HOSHI MARUs and KINRYU MARU No. 8. Enroute to Daito Bay, SHOKAI MARU and SHOEI MARU No. 8 join the convoy.

E 28 June 1945:
Arrives at Daito Bay. CD-132, KANAWA and CD-14 are detached.

15 August 1945:
CD-132’s crew receives notification of the termination of the war.

5 October 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

31 October 1945:
Departs Kure on her first repatriation voyage.

5 November 1945:
Arrives at Manila. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

9 November 1945:
Departs Manila.

14 November 1945 :
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

24 November 1945:
Enters Urabe dockyard for repairs.

1 December 1945:
Formally assigned to the Allied Repatriation Service. [1]

5 December 1945:
Repairs are completed.

8 December 1945:
Departs Kure.

14 December 1945:
Arrives at Manila. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

16 December 1945:
Departs Manila.

22 December 1945:
Arrives at Pusan. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

23 December 1945:
Arrives at Sasebo. Disembarks troops and passengers.

2 January 1946:
Departs Sasebo.

5 January 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

6 January 1946:
Departs Shanghai.

8 January 1946:
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers.

10 January 1946:
Departs Hakata.

11 January 1946:
Arrives at Pusan. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

14 January 1946 :
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

17 January 1946:
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers.

29 January 1946:
Departs Hakata.

30 January 1946:
Arrives at Pusan. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

1 February 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

3 February 1946:
Departs Shanghai.

5 February 1946 :
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers.

26 February 1946:
Departs Hakata.

28 February 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

1 March 1946:
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers and departs later that day.

2 March 1946:
Arrives at Pusan. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later the same day.

3 March 1946:
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers.

6 March 1946:
Docked at Mukaijima Dockyard for repairs.

21 March 1946:
Repairs are completed.

3 April 1946:
Departs Hakata.

4 April 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later the same day.

6 April 1946:
Arrives at Hakata. Disembarks troops and passengers.

May - 1 July 1948:
Sasebo. Scrapped.

Authors' Note:
[1] Allied occupation forces were responsible for the return of six million Japanese military personnel and civilians from Japan's defunct far-flung Empire. In addition, there were over a million Korean and about 40,000 Chinese prisoners and conscript laborers and approximately 7,000 Formosans and 15,000 Ryukyu Islanders to be repatriated.

Some Allied and many former IJN warships, from aircraft carriers to kaibokan, were used to facilitate the enormous repatriation effort. Japanese vessels and crews were used to the fullest extent possible to conserve Allied manpower and accelerate demobilization. Each ex-IJN ship first had to be demilitarized; guns removed or, in the case of large warships, barrels severed, ammunition landed, and radar and catapults removed, if fitted. Repatriation of the Chinese on Japanese ships began early in October from Hakata, but U.S. guard detachments had to be placed on many ships to prevent disorder because the Japanese crews could not control the returnees.

Japanese-run repatriation centers were established at Kagoshima, Hario near Sasebo, and Hakata near Fukuoka. Other reception centers were established and operated at Maizuru, Shimonoseki, Sasebo, Senzaki, Kure, Uraga, Yokohama, Moji and Hakodate. Allied line and medical personnel supervised the centers. Incoming Japanese were sprayed with DDT, examined and inoculated for typhus and smallpox, provided with food, and transported to his final destination in Japan.

Thanks to Mr. Gilbert Casse of France and Mr. Sander Kingsepp of Estonia.

-Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page