Tabular Record of Movement

© 1997-2014 Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp
Revision 4

4 August 1922:
Kobe. A SENDAI-class light cruiser is laid down at Kawasaki's shipyard.

10 November 1923:
Captain Takushoku Michiji (30) is appointed the Chief Equipping Officer.

8 December 1923:
Launched and named JINTSU.. Captain Fukushima Kanzo (32) is posted Chief Equipping Officer.

21 July 1925:
Completed and registered in the IJN. Captain Fukushima is the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1925:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Yamauchi Toyonaka (32) (former ComDesDiv 3) assumes command.

1 November 1926:
Captain Mizushiro Keiji (32)(former CO of NATORI) assumes command.

1 December 1926:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Arichi Jugoro (33) (current ComDesDiv 30) assumes command as an additional duty.

24 August 1927:
4 miles E of Jizo Zaki lighthouse, Shimane Prefecture. During night maneuvers off Mihogaseki Bight, JINTSU rams destroyer WARABI and receives heavy damage, losing a large section of her forefoot. WARABI sinks with 92 sailors lost. JINTSU is towed to Maizuru.

5 September 1927:
Placed in reserve at Kure for repairs.

7 October 1927:
Captain Mizushiro is replaced by Captain Miya Shiro (31)(former CO of AZUMA) for the duration of court proceedings. On 26 December, Captain Mizushiro commits suicide at his home.

15 November 1927:
Captain (later Rear Admiral Akiyama Toraroku (33) (former CO of OI) assumes command.

10 December 1928:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Machida Shinichiro (35) (former ComDesDiv 9) assumes command.

30 November 1929:
Captain Toyama Hikozi (34) assumes command.

1 December 1930:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Izawa Haruma (35) (former XO of MUTSU) assumes command.

1 December 1931:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Iwashita Yasutaro (37) (former 1st Fleet / Combined Fleet Staff) assumes command.

15 November 1932:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Okuma Masakichi (37)(former CO of TSUTA) assumes command.

15 November 1933:
Captain (later Rear Admiral, posthumously) Suzuki Kozo (36) (former CO of TSURUMI) assumes command.

15 November 1934:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Hara Kenzaburo (37)(former CO of ISONAMI) assumes command.

11 November 1935:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Abe Koso (40)(former CO of ERIMO) assumes command.

20 August 1937:
JINTSU departs Atsuta (near Nagoya) with cruisers ASHIGARA, HAGURO, MAYA, MYOKO and NACHI, light cruiser and destroyers AKEBONO, AMAGIRI, ASAGIRI, AYANAMI, ISONAMI, OBORO, SHIKINAMI and YUGIRI. JINTSU is carrying the 1st Battalion (less 1st Company) of the 6th Infantry Regiment.

21 August 1937:
Arrives at the Saddle (Ma'an) Islands, NE Zhoushan archipelago, China. Troops are transferred to JINTSU and destroyers AMAGIRI, ASAGIRI, MURASAME, OBORO, SAMIDARE, USHIO, YUDACHI and YUGIRI.

1 December 1936:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Abe Hiroaki (39)(former CO of KAKI) assumes command.

1 December 1937:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Tanaka Raizo (41)(former CO of USHIO) assumes command.

15 December 1938:
Captain Nanba Sukeyuki (39) assumes command.

15 November 1939:
Captain (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Isaki Shunji (42) (current CO of MOGAMI) assumes command as an additional duty.

5 December 1939:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Kimura Masatomi (41)(former CO of SHIRETOKO) assumes command.

15 October 1940:
Captain Kozai Torazo (42) assumes command.

26 November 1941:
JINTSU is the flagship of Rear Admiral Tanaka Raizo's (former CO of KONGO) DesRon 2. Departs the Terashima Strait, Japan.

2 December 1941:
Arrives at Palau. DesRon 2 is in Vice Admiral Takahashi Ibo's (former CO of YAMASHIRO) Third Fleet, Southern Force, Philippine Seizure Force. JINTSU receives the signal "Niitakayama nobore (Climb Mt. Niitaka) 1208" from the Combined Fleet. This signifies that X-Day hostilities will commence on 8 December (Japan time).[1]

6 December 1941: Operation "M" - The Attack on the Southern Philippines:
Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Kubo Kyuji's (former CO of KAGA) Fourth Surprise Attack Force's seven transports depart Palau for planned landings at Davao and Legaspi. The convoy is escorted by the light cruiser NAGARA, DesDiv 24's YAMAKAZE, SUZUKAZE and UMIKAZE and DesDiv 16's TOKITSUKAZE.

DesRon 2's JINTSU and DesDiv 15's HAYASHIO, NATSUSHIO, OYASHIO and KUROSHIO, DesDiv 16's YUKIKAZE, HATSUKAZE and AMATSUKAZE and DesDiv 20's ASAGIRI provide cover. The covering force also includes Rear Admiral (Admiral posthumously) Takagi Takeo's (former CO of MUTSU) CruDiv 5's NACHI, MYOKO and HAGURO.

Light carrier RYUJO, escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE, and CarDiv 11's seaplane carriers CHITOSE and MIZUHO provide air cover.

10 December 1941:
JINTSU and DesDiv 15's HAYASHIO and NATSUSHIO are detached from Kubo's force to escort MineDiv 17's minelayer YAEYAMA.

10-11 December 1941:
YAEYAMA lays 133 mines in the Surigao Strait.

12 December 1941: The Invasion of Legaspi, Luzon.
Early in the morning, about 2,500 men of MajGen Kimura Naoki's 16th Infantry Division's 33rd Infantry Regiment, a battery of the 22d Field Artillery and engineer detachments accompanied by 575 men of the Kure No. 1 Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF) land at Legaspi without opposition. By 0900 hours, the airfield is secured.

DesRon 2's JINTSU with DesDiv 15 and DesDiv 16 and Takagi's CruDiv 5 provide distant cover. RYUJO, escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE, provides air cover.

14 December 1941:
JINTSU arrives at Kossol Roads, Palau.

17 December 1941: Operation "M" - The Attack on the Southern Philippines:
At 1400, Tanaka's Southern Philippines Attack Force of 14 transports departs Palau carrying MajGen Sakaguchi Shizou's 56th Regimental Group, the Kure No. 2 SNLF and a naval airfield maintenance unit. Close escort is provided by Tanaka's JINTSU and DesDivs 15 and 16. Takagi's CruDiv 5 provide distant cover, while air cover for the convoy is provided by RYUJO and CHITOSE.

19 December 1941:
200 miles E of Davao. In the afternoon, RYUJO launches six planes to attack the radio station at Cape San Augustin, at the eastern tip of Davao Gulf, while seaplane carrier CHITOSE launches planes to reconnoiter Davao.

19/20 December 1941: The Invasion of Davao, Philippines.
The transports arrive off Davao after midnight. At 0400, troops of LtCol Miura Toshio's 33rd Infantry Regiment's detachment, covered by RYUJO's aircraft, begin landing in the northern section of Davao while elements of the Sakaguchi Detachment come ashore along the coast SW of the city. By 1500, Davao and its airfield are occupied. That evening a seaplane base is established S of the city.

23 December 1941: The Invasion of Jolo, Philippines.
In the morning, nine transports set out from Davao with about 4,000 men consisting of a partial infantry battalion with attached artillery, engineer and communications units and the Kure No. 2 SNLF. The convoy is escorted by JINTSU and her destroyers. RYUJO and CHITOSE provide air cover.

24 December 1941:
At 2000, the landings on Jolo begin.

25 December 1941:
Jolo is secured.

29 December 1941:
Arrives at the old American naval anchorage at Malalag Bay, near Davao. Assigned to Rear Admiral Kubo's Eastern Netherlands East Indies Seizure Force with DesDiv 15 and 16.

9 January 1942: Operation "H" - The Invasion of Celebes, Netherlands East Indies:
Eight transports depart Davao carrying Captain (later Vice Admiral) Mori Kunizo's (former CO of AO SATA) Sasebo No. 1 Combined Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF) and Rear Admiral Kubo's 1st Base Force with light cruiser NAGARA and patrol boats PB-1, PB-2, PB-34, Minesweeper Div 21's W-7, W-8, W-9, W-11 and W-12 and Subchaser Div 1's CH-1, CH-2 and CH-3.

The convoy is also escorted by Rear Admiral Tanaka's DesRon 2's JINTSU with DesDiv 8/1's OSHIO and ASASHIO, DesDivs 15 and 16 and patrol boat PB-39. Air cover is provided by Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Fujita Ruitaro's (former CO of FUSO) CarDiv 11's seaplane tenders MIZUHO and CHITOSE. Rear Admiral Takagi's CruDiv 5's NACHI and HAGURO with DesDiv 6's IKAZUCHI and INAZUMA constitute the surface cover force.

11 January 1942:
At 0300, the Sasebo No. 1 SNLF lands on Kema, Celebes. At 0400, they land on Menado, Celebes. Later, 334 men of Cdr (later Captain) Horiuchi Toyoaki's (later XO of TAKAO) Yokosuka No. 1 SNLF (Air) are dropped successfully from Mitsubishi G3M1-L Nell converted transport aircraft in the Menado-Kema area. The paratroops seize Langoan airfield.

12 January 1942:
185 more SNLF paratroops are dropped in the Menado-Kema area.

17 January 1942:
JINTSU launches a reconnaisance floatplane, probably a Kawanishi E7K2 Alf . The pilot claims downing a Dutch Lockheed A-29 "Hudson" light bomber near Menado. The victory is short-lived because soon thereafter, the floatplane is shot down.

18 January 1942:
Arrives at Malalag Bay.

26 January 1942:
Departs Malalag Bay with DesDivs 15 and 16.

27 January 1942:
Arrives at Bangka Roads, Celebes.

31 January 1942: The Invasion of Ambon Island, Netherlands East Indies:
The invasion convoy includes ten transports carrying 820 men of Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Hatakeyama Kouichiro's (former CO of KINUGASA) Kure No. 1 SNLF, elements of the Sasebo SNLF and the 228th Infantry Regiment.

The convoy's escort is provided by Rear Admiral Tanaka in JINTSU with DesDiv 8's ASASHIO, OSHIO, ARASHIO and the MICHISHIO, DesDiv 15's HAYASHIO, KUROSHIO, NATSUSHIO and OYASHIO and DesDiv 16's AMATSUKAZE, HATSUKAZE and TOKITSUKAZE, Minesweeper Div 21, Subchaser Div 1 and patrol boats PB-34 and PB-39. The convoy's air cover is provided by CarDiv 11's MIZUHO and CHITOSE. CruDiv 5's NACHI and HAGURO, DesDiv 6's IKAZUCHI and DesDiv 7's USHIO and SAZANAMI provide the covering force.

2 February 1942:
Rear Admiral Hatakeyama's troops capture Laha airfield on Ambon. Hatakeyama orders the execution of Dutch and Australian POWs a few days later. [2]

4 February 1942:
JINTSU enters Ambon Bay.

8 February 1942:
Departs Ambon. Arrives at Kendari, Celebes.

9 February 1942:
Departs Kendari. Arrives at Ambon.

17 February 1942:
At 0800, nine transports carrying the 228th Infantry Regiment and men of the Yokosuka No. 3 SNLF depart Ambon for Kupang, Dutch Timor. JINTSU provides close escort with the No. 2 Escort Unit's DesDiv 7's USHIO and SAZANAMI, DesDivs 15, 16 and DesDiv 24's UMIKAZE.

18 February 1942:
A second convoy of five transports departs Ambon for Dili, Portugese Timor. The convoy also includes fast transports (converted destroyers) PB-1, PB-2 and PB-34. DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE and YAMAKAZE provide close escort with Minesweeper Division 21's W-7 and W-8 and a submarine chaser. CruDiv 5's HAGURO and MYOKO, DesDiv 6's INAZUMA and IKAZUCHI and DesDiv 7's AKEBONO provide distant cover. Air cover is provided by Mitsubishi F1M2 Pete floatplanes from the seaplane carrier MIZUHO.

19 February 1942:
That night, both convoys arrive off Timor. Operating as part of the American-British-Dutch-Australian ABDA FLOAT, the U. S. Asiatic Fleet's USS PIKE (SS-173) under LtCdr W. New, LtCdr L. Wallace's TARPON (SS-175) and LtCdr B. E. Bacon's PICKEREL (SS-177) make contact with the invasion force.

20 February 1942:
Alor island. At 0243, PIKE attacks what LtCdr New misidentifies as two "light cruisers". The ships, in fact, are the small minesweepers W-7 and W-8. LtCdr New fires two torpedoes from 4,000 yards, but they miss ahead. The minesweepers move out of range before he can set up for another attack.

At dawn, JINTSU launches a reconnaisance floatplane, probably a Kawanishi E7K2 Alf. Later, Captain Kozai throttles JINTSU down to idle speed to recover the plane. LtCdr Bacon maneuvers PICKEREL for a shot at the motionless JINTSU, but he is slow in closing and setting up. JINTSU moves out of range while PICKEREL is still 5,000 yards out. She soon returns with one of her destroyers. They detect PICKEREL and together launch a depth charge attack that drives PICKEREL deep, but she escapes. Wallace's TARPON is never able to close on any of the ships that he sights.

Timor Island. 308 paratroops of LtCdr Fukumi Koichi's Yokosuka No. 3 SNLF (Air) are dropped successfully from G3M1-L Nell transport aircraft in the Dili-Kupang area to capture Penfoei airfield.

21 February 1942:
323 more SNLF paratroops are dropped successfully in the Dili-Kupang area.

24 February 1942:
Departs Kupang with the No. 2 Escort Unit.

25 February 1942:
Arrives at Makassar, Celebes. Departs that day with light cruiser NAKA and the No. 2 Escort Unit escorting a troop convoy to invade eastern Java.

27 February 1942: The Battle of the Java Sea:
At 1547, CruDiv 5's NACHI and HAGURO, DesRon 2's JINTSU with DesDiv 7's USHIO, SAZANAMI, YAMAKAZE and KAWAKAZE and DesDiv 16's YUKIKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE, AMATSUKAZE and HATSUKAZE and NAKA and her six destroyers engage Dutch Rear Admiral Karel W. F. M. Doorman's (former CO of SUMATRA) Strike Force's light cruiser HNMS DE RUYTER, cruisers HMS EXETER, USS HOUSTON (CA-30), light cruisers HMAS PERTH, HNMS JAVA, destroyers HMS ELECTRA, ENCOUNTER, JUPITER, HNMS KORTENAER and WITTE de WITH and old destroyers USS ALDEN (DD-211), JOHN D. EDWARDS (DD-216), JOHN D. FORD (DD-228) and PAUL JONES (DD-230).

JINTSU, NAKA and NACHI launch floatplanes to mark Doorman's ships' positions and to spot IJN salvos.

At 1603, Captain (later Rear Admiral) Tawara Yoshioki's light cruiser NAKA of DesRon 4 and DesDiv 2's MURASAME, HARUKAZE, SAMIDARE and YUDACHI with DesDiv 9's ASAGUMO and MINEGUMO launch 43 Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes at the Allied force from about 16,250 yards. More than a dozen torpedoes premature or collide with each other after a run of only a few thousand yards. None hits an Allied ship.

At 1638, the EXETER is hit by a 7.9-inch shell from HAGURO and set afire. At 1640, Dutch LtCdr A. Kroese's HNMS KORTENAER is hit by a torpedo from HAGURO, blows up and sinks at 06-29S, 112-05E. Sixty crewmen are killed, but LtCdr Kroese is a survivor.

At 1727, JINTSU launches a salvo of eight Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes at Doorman's force. These are followed by torpedoes from DesRon 2's destroyers. In all, 72 Long Lances swim towards Doorman's Strike Force, but not one hits.

At 1731, JINTSU launches her recon plane. At 1746, British Cdr C. W. May's HMS ELECTRA and ASAGUMO engage in a gun battle. ELECTRA is sunk at about 1800 and takes down Cdr May and most of her crew.[3]

At 2000, British LtCdr Norman V. J. T. Thew's HMS JUPITER hits a Dutch mine and sinks. LtCdr Thew survives, but becomes a POW.

At 2027, Vice Admiral Takagi Takeo recalls all five recon planes to their respective ships. At 2336, Dutch Captain P. B. M. Van Straelen's light cruiser JAVA is hit by a torpedo. Soon thereafter, her stern breaks off.

At 2340, the Allied flagship, Dutch Cdr Eugène E. B. Lacomblé's HNMS DE RUYTER is hit by a torpedo from HAGURO and set afire aft. As a result of a complete power failure, the fire can not be extinguished, but DE RUYTER remains afloat for several hours.

At 2345, JAVA sinks taking down 512 crewmembers including Captain van Straelen.[4]

HOUSTON and PERTH retire to Batavia (Jakarta), Java.

JINTSU departs the area.

28 February 1942:
DE RUYTER sinks in the early hours, but the exact time remains unknown. Rear Admiral Doorman and 344 crewmen are killed.

At mid-day after the battle, Lt James R. Reynolds' submarine USS S-37 sights a 50-foot open boat from DE RUYTER carrying 60 Allied survivors. Although S-37 is unable to accommodate all of those in the boat, Reynolds approaches to take on casualties. Finding no casualties, he takes on two American sailors who had performed signals liaison on DE RUYTER. Reynolds transfers provisions to the Dutch sailors and dispatches enciphered messages on the boat's location to ABDA (American-British-Dutch-Australian) Command headquarters. Then S-37 resumes her patrol.

Later, LtCdr (later Captain) Henry G. Munson's submarine USS S-38 also surfaces at the scene of the battle. Munson rescues 54 of HMS ELECTRA's crewmen from the water.

During the next two days, IJN units and aircraft sink HOUSTON, PERTH and EXETER and destroyers HMS ENCOUNTER, HNMS EVERTSEN and USS POPE (DD-225).

1 March 1942:
Java Sea. Madoera Strait. S-38 transfers ELECTRA’s sailors to a surface ship. Munson then resumes the hunt for Japanese shipping.

2 March 1942:
Java Sea. Near Balwean Island. In the early morning, the S-38’s lookouts spot a cruiser – probably JINTSU - and a destroyer. Munson submerges and fires his four bow torpedoes at the cruiser and later fires two torpedoes at the destroyer. S-38’s crew hear explosions and later claim damage to the cruiser, but postwar the damage cannot be verified. S-38 waits on the bottom as destroyers search for her, but later escapes unscathed.

4 March 1942:
JINTSU arrives at Tarakan, Borneo and refuels.

12 March 1942:
Departs Tarakan. Arrives at Makassar.

15 March 1942:
Departs Makassar.

23 March 1942:
Arrrives at Kure. Refit.

28 March 1942:

6 April. 1942:

6-18 April 1942:
At Kure.

18 April 1942: The First Bombing of Japan:
Vice Admiral (later Fleet Admiral) William F. Halsey's (former CO of SARATOGA, CV-3) Task Force 16.2's USS HORNET (CV-8), VINCENNES (CA-44), NASHVILLE (CL-43), an oiler and four destroyers accompanied by Task Force 16.1's ENTERPRISE (CV-6), SALT LAKE CITY (CA-25), NORTHAMPTON (CA-26), another oiler and four other destroyers approach Japan. The carriers and cruisers come to within 668 nautical miles of the mainland.

Led by Lt Col (later General/MOH) James H. Doolittle, 16 Army B-25 "Mitchell" twin-engine bombers of the 17th Bomb Group take off from Captain (later Admiral) Marc A. Mitscher's HORNET and strike targets in Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya and Kobe.

19 April 1942:
JINTSU departs Kure in an unsuccessful pursuit of Halsey's carriers.

23 April 1942:
Arrives back at Kure. Training in the Inland Sea thereafter.

21 May 1942:
Departs Kure with DesDiv 15's KUROSHIO and OYASHIO, DesDiv 16's AMATSUKAZE, HATSUKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE and YUKIKAZE and DesDiv 18's KAGERO with temporary destroyer-transports SHIRANUHI, KASUMI and ARARE.

25 May 1942:
Arrives at Saipan.

28 May 1942:Operation "MI" - The Battle of Midway:
JINTSU is in Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Kondo Nobutake's (former CO of KONGO) Midway Invasion Force. DesRon 2 departs Saipan escorting the Transport Group's oiler AKEBONO MARU, transports KIYOZUMI, ZENYO, ARGENTINA, BRAZIL, AZUMA, KEIYO, GOSHU, KANO, HOKURIKU, KIRISHIMA and NANKAI MARUs, TOA MARU No. 2 and Rear Admiral Fujita's CHITOSE and KAMIKAWA MARU. The transports carry an airfield construction unit, LtCol Ichiki Kiyonao's IJA detachment and two battalions of Special Naval Landing Forces.

3 June 1942:
The convoy is bombed by nine Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortresses". Later, the convoy is also attacked by torpedo-carrying Consolidated PBY "Catalina" amphibious patrol planes. Oiler AKEBONO MARU is hit, but not JINTSU.

13 June 1942:
Arrives at Truk. The transports disembark the airfield construction unit.

15 June 1942:
Departs Truk.

16 June 1942:
Arrives at Guam. The transports disembark LtCol Ichiki's detachment. Departs that same day.

21 June 1942:
Arrives at Yokosuka. The transports disembark the Special Naval Landing Forces.

24 June 1942:
Departs Yokosuka for Hashirajima.

28 June 1942:
Recalled to Yokosuka.

July 1942:
Yokosuka. Conducts antisubmarine training.

14 July 1942:
The Eighth Fleet (Outer South Seas Force) is organized under Vice Admiral Mikawa Gunichi (former CO of KIRISHIMA).

7 August 1942: American Operation "Watchtower" - The Invasion of Guadalcanal, British Solomons:
Rear Admiral (later Admiral) Richmond K. Turner's (former CO of ASTORIA, CA-34), Amphibious Task Force 62, covered by Vice Admiral (MOH/later Admiral) Frank J. Fletcher's (former CO of VERMONT, BB-20) Task Force 61 and Rear Admiral (later Admiral) John S. McCain's (former CO of RANGER, CV-4) Task Force 63's land-based aircraft, lands MajGen (later General/MOH/Commandant) Alexander A. Vandegrift's 1st Marine Division on Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, Tanambogo and Guadalcanal opening the campaign to retake the islands.

11 August 1942:
Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Kondo Nobutake's (former CO of KONGO) Second Fleet's Advanced Force departs Hashirajima for Truk consisting of CruDiv 4's ATAGO (F), TAKAO and MAYA, CruDiv 5's HAGURO and MYOKO, BatDiv 2's MUTSU, CarDiv 11's seaplane tender CHITOSE, DesRon 4's light cruiser YURA and nine destroyers.

Yokosuka. JINTSU and DesDiv 15's KAGERO depart that same day for Truk.

15 August 1942:
JINTSU and KAGERO arrive at Truk. They load troops and supplies that night.

16 August 1942:
At 0500, DesDiv 4's ARASHI and HAGIKAZE, DesDiv 15's KAGERO and DesDiv 17's HAMAKAZE, TANIKAZE and URAKAZE depart Truk for Guadalcanal as the first echelon of a reinforcement convoy carrying 917 men of LtCol Ichiki's 28th Infantry Regiment. Ichiki rides aboard ARASHI.

The second echelon of the reinforcement convoy consisting of BOSTON and DAIFUKU MARUs carrying 1,100 men of Ikki's Regiment departs Truk escorted by JINTSU and patrol boats PB-34 and PB-35. Rear Admiral Tanaka in JINTSU is in command of the entire convoy.

The third echelon of the convoy consisting of fast transport (ex-AMC) KINRYU MARU carrying about 1,000 troops of the Yokosuka No. 5 SNLF departs Truk escorted by patrol boats PB-1 and PB-2.

17 August 1942:
Kondo's Advanced Force arrives at Truk.

18 August 1942:
About noon, DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE, SUZUKAZE and UMIKAZE join the second and third echelons of the convoy that are still enroute to Guadalcanal.

19 August 1942:
The first echelon's destroyers are bombed by B-17s. HAGIKAZE is hit and damaged.

Cape Taivu, E of Lunga Point, Guadalcanal. At 0100, the first echelon lands LtCol Ikki's troops.

20 August 1942:
At midnight, LtCol Ichiki's lightly-armed troops attempt to storm Guadalcanal's "Henderson Field" and retake the airfield without artillery support. Almost all of Ichiki's infantrymen are cut down by General Vandegrift's Marines manning fortified positions and the attack fails. Ichiki commits ritual suicide.

Rear Admiral Tanaka receives a signal from Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Tsukahara Nishizo's (former CO of AKAGI) 11th Air Fleet headquarters that directs Tanaka to turn his convoy about and head north to avoid an American task force. Shortly thereafter, Tanaka receives a signal from Vice Admiral Mikawa's Eighth Fleet headquarters that directs Tanaka to change course to 250-degrees (WSW). Tanaka, faced with conflicting orders from the senior officer in the area and his own superior, is further frustrated by atmospherics that cause communications failure with both headquarters. He compromises and changes course to 320 degrees (WNW).

190 miles S of Guadalcanal, off San Cristobal. A Kawanishi H6K Mavis flying boat spots USS LONG ISLAND (ACV-1) ferrying aircraft. Later, LONG ISLAND catapults 19 Grumman F4F Marine "Wildcat" fighters and 12 Douglas SBD Marine "Dauntless" dive-bombers. They are the first aircraft to land on Henderson Field, home of the soon-to-be named "Cactus Air Force".

At 1420, Tanaka receives a signal that 20 American carrier planes landed at Guadalcanal's airfield. That same day, Admiral (Fleet Admiral, posthumously) Yamamoto Isoroku (former CO of AKAGI), CINC, Combined Fleet, dispatches Vice Admiral Kondo's Advanced Force from Truk to rendezvous with Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Nagumo Chuichi’s (former CO of YAMASHIRO) Third Fleet, enroute from Kure.

21 August 1942:
Nagumo's Third Fleet comprised of CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU, CarDiv 2's RYUJO, BatDiv 11's HIEI and KIRISHIMA, CruDiv 7's KUMANO and SUZUYA, CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA and TONE and Desron 10's light cruiser NAGARA and three destroyers, is scheduled to arrive at Truk. Instead, Yamamoto orders Nagumo to refuel at sea from oilers and continue towards Guadalcanal.

That evening, Tanaka receives a signal from Headquarters, Eighth Fleet that the Second and Third Fleet's will support his reinforcement convoy.

23 August 1942:
200 miles N of Guadalcanal. Rear Admiral Tanaka's convoy is spotted by a Catalina PBY flying boat.

At 0830, Tanaka receives a signal from Vice Admiral Mikawa's Eighth Fleet headquarters that directs Tanaka to turn his convoy about and head north to avoid an American task force. At 1430, Tanaka receives a signal from Vice Admiral Tsukahara's 11th Air Fleet headquarters that directs Tanaka to land troops on Guadacanal the next day. Tanaka, faced with yet a second set of conflicting orders, replies that he cannot comply because some of his ships are too slow.

24 August 1942: The Battle of the Eastern Solomons.
At 1230, Tanaka's force sights light carrier RYUJO, covered by CruDiv 8's TONE and DesDiv 16's AMATSUKAZE and TOKITSUKAZE. Later, RYUJO launches two strikes against Henderson Field.

At 1357, RYUJO is attacked by aircraft from Vice Admiral Fletcher's Task Force 61's USS SARATOGA (CV-3). RYUJO is hit by four bombs and a torpedo hit that floods her starboard engine room.

CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU launch aircraft that find and damage ENTERPRISE (CV-6). That evening, aircraft from SARATOGA damage seaplane carrier CHITOSE. At 1800, RYUJO capsizes and sinks.

That same night, DesDiv 15's KAGERO, DesDiv 17's ISOKAZE, DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE and DesDiv 30's MUTSUKI and YAYOI shell Henderson Field. Afterwards, the five destroyers race northward to join Tanaka's convoy.

25 August 1942:
150 miles N of Guadalcanal. At 0600, six USMC Douglas SBD "Dauntless" dive-bombers attack the convoy. KINRYU MARU is hit and begins to sink. Her embarked troops are evacuated by DesDiv 30's MUTSUKI and YAYOI and two patrol boats. BOSTON MARU is damaged by a near-miss. A 500-lb. bomb hits JINTSU's forecastle and starts fires causing her forward magazines to be flooded. Twenty-four crewmen are killed. Rear Admiral Tanaka is injured. He shifts his flag to KAGERO because of the damage to JINTSU.

B-17's appear over the convoy and sink stationary old destroyer MUTSUKI that is evacuating troops from sinking KINRYU MARU.

25 August 1942:
Arrives at Shortland that night.

28 August 1942:
JINTSU arrives at Truk escorted by SUZUKAZE. JINTSU undergoes emergency repairs by repair ship AKASHI for over a month.

2 October 1942:
Departs Truk.

8 October 1942:
Arrives at Kure. Battle damage repairs/modifications. Two Type 96 triple-mount 25-mm. AA guns are installed.

26 December 1942:
Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Koyanagi Tomiji (former CO of KONGO) assumes command of DesRon 2. Rear Admiral Tanaka is reassigned as CO of the Maizuru Guard unit.

26 December 1942:
Captain Fujita Toshio (42)(former CO of TSURUMI) assumes command.

9 January 1943:
Repairs/modifications are completed.

16 January 1943:
Flagship of DesRon 2.

18 January 1943:
Departs Kure.

21 January 1943:
Rear Admiral Isaki Shunji (former CO of MAYA) assumes command of DesRon 2. Rear Admiral Koyanagi assumes command of DesRon 10.

24 January 1943:
Arrives at Truk.

31 January 1943: Operation "KE" - The Evacuation of Guadalcanal:
Cruises N of Guadalcanal covering the operation.

9 February 1943:
Arrives at Truk. Training duties thereafter.

27 February 1943:
Captain Fujita assumes command of KUMANO.

12 March 1943:
Captain Sato Torajiro (43) (former ComDesDiv 15) assumes command of JINTSU.

14 June 1943:
Departs Truk on a transport run carrying carrier JUNYO's air group.

16 June 1943:
Arrives at Roi, Kwajalein. Disembarks JUNYO's air group.

17 June 1943:
Departs Roi.

19 June 1943:
Arrives at Truk.

8 July 1943:
Departs Truk with DesDiv 31's KIYONAMI.

10 July 1943:
Arrives at Rabaul.

13 July 1943: The Battle of Kolombangara:
At 0330, the JINTSU departs Rabaul flying the flag of ComDesRon 2's Rear Admiral Isaki with DesDiv 16's YUKIKAZE, DesDiv 17's HAMAKAZE, DesDiv 27's YUGURE, DesDiv 30's MIKAZUKI and DesDiv 31's KIYONAMI and destroyer-transports SATSUKI, MINAZUKI, YUNAGI and MATSUKAZE carrying 1,200 troops to be landed at Vila on Kolombangara Island, New Georgia.

Kula Gulf, Solomon Islands. At 2016, JINTSU catapults her floatplane to reconnoiter the Gulf.

JINTSU and YUKIKAZE's E27 radar detectors detect the presence of enemy vessels 30 minutes before visual contact is made. This is Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Walden L. Ainsworth's (former CO of MISSISSIPPI, BB-38) Task Group 36.1 consisting of CruDiv 9's USS HONOLULU (F) (CL-48), ST LOUIS (CL-49), HMNZS LEANDER, DesRon 12's RALPH TALBOT (DD-390), MAURY (DD-401), GWIN (DD-433), WOODWORTH (DD-460) and BUCHANAN (DD-484), DesRon 21's RADFORD (DD-446), JENKINS (DD-447), NICHOLAS (DD-449), O'BANNON (DD-450) and TAYLOR (DD-468).[5]

At 2308, Rear Admiral Isaki orders a torpedo attack on the American force. His warships launch 31 Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes at TG 36.1. JINTSU snaps on her searchlight to illuminate Ainsworth's force.

At 2310, HONOLULU, ST LOUIS and LEANDER open fire on JINTSU and Ainsworth's other warships launch torpedoes at Isaki's force. JINTSU is hit by at least ten 6-inch shells from the Allied cruisers in her boiler rooms and set afire. Rear Admiral Isaki, Captain Sato and Executive Officer Cdr Kondo Issei are killed. A torpedo hits JINTSU to starboard in the aft engine room.

Captain Shimai Zenjiro, ComDesDiv 16, aboard YUKIKAZE assumes command of the IJN force. Shimai launches torpedo attacks on the Allied force that sink LtCdr J. B. Fellows' destroyer GWIN and severely damage New Zealand light cruiser LEANDER with an engine room, a boiler room and a 4-inch gun destroyed. ST LOUIS is hit by a torpedo that twists her bow. During the action, BUCHANAN glances off WOODWORTH's stern and causes some flooding and light damage.

At 2348, JINTSU breaks in two and sinks at 07-38S, 157-06E. 482 men are lost. Later, LtCdr (later Cdr) Kusaka Toshio's submarine I-180 arrives and rescues 21 of JINTSU's crewmen. The Americans also rescue a few of JINTSU's crewmen.

Rear Admiral Isaki is promoted Vice Admiral, posthumously and Captain Sato is promoted Rear Admiral, posthumously. Others lost are XO Cdr (Captain posthumously) Kondo Issei (50), Chief Torpedo Officer Lt (LtCdr posthumously) Irie Sukematsu (58), Chief Communications Officer Lt (LtCdr posthumously) Maeda Yuzuru (58), and Chief Air Officer Lt (LtCdr posthumously) Nakajima Masao (59).

The Transport Group successfully lands 1,200 men on Vila, so the Battle of Kolombangara is a major defeat for the Allies.

10 September 1943:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors' Notes:
[1] Mt. Niitaka, located in Formosa (now Taiwan), is the highest point in the Japanese Empire at the time.

[2] Vice Admiral Hatakeyama is KIA in China in Jan '45.

[3] On 19 August 2003, a group of divers operating off MV EMPRESS out of Singapore using side-scan sonar discover ELECTRA in about 160 feet of water in the Java Sea. She lays on her port side covered in trawler nets.

[4] On 1 December 2002, divers operating off MV EMPRESS discover DeRUYTER and JAVA at about 225 feet down off Bawean Island in the Java Sea.

[5] The E27 was a passive device derived from the German FuMB 1 Metox R.600.

Special thanks for assistance in researching the IJN officers mentioned in this TROM go to Mr. Jean-François Masson of Canada and Matthew Jones of Mississippi. Thanks also goes to Aldert Gritter/"Adm. Gurita" of the Netherlands and to Andrew Obluski of Poland for information on IJN paratroop operations.

Thanks also go to John Whitman of Viginia and Fontessa-san of Japan for info about 1937 troop movement.

- Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp.

Back to Cruiser Page