© 1998, 2009 Allyn D. Nevitt

IJN Amatsukaze: Tabular Record of Movement

KAGERO-class (18 ships) profile (Ships of the World)

@Updated - February 27, 2012 - Allyn Nevitt

@Revised - Allyn Nevitt with Anthony Tully

Name Translation: "Heavenly Wind"

Initial Command Structure:
Ship's captain: Commander Hara Tameichi [49] (prev. C.O. YAMAGUMO). Assigned to Desdiv 16 (YUKIKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE, AMATSUKAZE, HATSUKAZE), Desron 2, Second Fleet.

26 November-1 December 1941:

Desdiv 16 steamed with Desron 2 from Terashima Strait to Palau.

6-15 December:

Escorted RYUJO out of Palau, supporting Southern Philippine attack forces.

20 December:

With Davao invasion force. One crewman killed while securing shipping in harbor.

11 January 1942:

With Menado invasion force.

24 January:

With Kendari invasion force.

31 January:
With Ambon invasion force.

20 February:
With Timor invasion force.

27 February:

With Eastern Java invasion force.

27 February: Battle of the Java Sea

Took part in torpedo attack on Allied fleet.

1 March:

Escorted Dutch hospital ship OP TEN NOORT to Bandjermasin (Borneo).


Antisubmarine operations in the Java Sea. Has been credited with sinking USS PERCH (see also USHIO) but her opponent more likely a Dutch submarine, perhaps K.10.

31 March-3 April:

With Christmas Island invasion force: escorted NATORI towing torpedoed NAKA as far as Bantam Bay; then to Makassar.

25 April-3 May:

Steamed from Makassar to Kure, then docked for maintenance.

21-25 May:

Desdiv 16 steamed with Desron 2 from Kure to Saipan.

3-6 June: Battle of Midway

Desdiv 16 escorted Midway troop convoy.

14 July:

Desdiv 16 reassigned to Desron 10, Third Fleet.

16 August:

Departed Kure, escorting fleet towards Truk.

24 August: Battle of the Eastern Solomons

With TOKITSUKAZE, escorted RYUJO and TONE. Assisted in rescue of RYUJO survivors. Also recovered a ditched ZUIKAKU bomber crew.


Escorted fleet patrolling out of Truk north of the Solomons.

12-13 October:

With YUKIKAZE, scouted Ndeni Island, looking for U.S. seaplane base.

26 October: Battle of Santa Cruz

Escorted Admiral Nagumo's Striking Force.

12-13 November: First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal

Escorted Admiral Abe's Bombardment Force. Torpedoed and sank USS BARTON (DD-599). Medium damage: by gunfire of USS HELENA (CL-50): hydraulic systems crippled, silencing guns and jamming rudder; 43 dead.

18-25 November:

Emergency repairs at Truk.

26 November-1 December:

Steamed from Truk to Kure, then docked for repairs. Repairs probably included twin 25mm machine guns added on bandstand forward of bridge; twin 25mm machine guns at aft funnel replaced by triple mountings; and radar-detecting device installed on bridge.

10 January 1943:
Commander Hara (to Comdesdiv 27, later C.O. YAHAGI) relieved by Commander Tanaka Masao [50] (prev. C.O. FUMIZUKI).

5-10 February:

Escorted SUZUYA from Kure to Truk.

15-17 February:

With URAKAZE, aircrew (ground-support units of ZUIHO) transport run from Truk to Wewak.

17-23 February:

Assisted URAKAZE towing damaged HARUSAME from Wewak to Truk.

29 March-3 April:

Escorted convoy from Truk to Palau.

6-18 April:

With Subchaser No. 34, escorted troop convoy (Hansa No. 2A: SYDNEY MARU, TOHO MARU and TEIRYU MARU, lifting units of 20th Division) from Palau to Hansa Bay and back. On 12 April SYDNEY MARU lost in bombing attack in Hansa Bay.

26 April-6 May:

With URAKAZE and Subchasers Nos. 26 and 34, escorted troop convoy (Wewak No. 3: No. 1 Shinsei Maru, Bunzan Maru, Kanko Maru, Hofuku Maru, No. 13 Hakutetsu Maru, and San Francisco Maru, lifting units of 41
st Division) from Palau to Wewak and back.

8-17 May:

With URAKAZE and Subchaser No. 34, escorted troop convoy (Wewak No. 4: TEIRYU MARU, No. 3 YOSHIDA MARU, TOHO MARU, MAYA MARU, and ARATAMA MARU, lifting units of 41
st Division) from Palau to Wewak and back.

23 May-3 June:

With URAKAZE, escorted troop convoy (Hansa No. 3: HOFUKU MARU, No. 1 SHINSEI MARU, DENMARK MARU, SHINYU MARU and No. 13 HAKUTETSU MARU, lifting units of 20
th Division) from Palau to Hansa Bay and back.

5-15 June:

With URAKAZE, escorted troop convoy (Wewak No. 5: MAYA MARU, No. 3 YOSHIDA MARU, BENGAL MARU, and HAKKA MARU, lifting units of 41
st Division) from Palau to Wewak and back. During return voyage convoy joined by auxiliary gunboat KAZAN MARU.

21 June-2 July:

With URAKAZE, escorted troop convoy (Hansa No. 4: DENMARK MARU, NAGANO MARU, KANKO MARU, YUBAE MARU and SHINYU MARU, lifting units of 20
th Division) from Palau to Hansa Bay and back.

5-17 July:

With URAKAZE and SHIRATAKA, escorted troop convoy (Wewak No. 6: BENGAL MARU, No. 3 YOSHIDA MARU, No. 1 SHINSEI MARU, MAYA MARU and TOHO MARU, lifting units of 41
st Division) from Palau to Wewak and back. On return voyage escorted URAKAZE towing disabled TOHO MARU back to Palau.

19-24 July:

With URAKAZE, escorted convoy from Palau to Truk.

25 July-1 August:

With URAKAZE, escorted convoy from Truk to Kure, then docked for maintenance. Possibly received Type 22 radar mounted on foremast during this refit.

16-23 August:

With HATSUKAZE, escorted YAMATO from Kure to Truk as part of larger fleet deployment.

18-25 September:

Escorted fleet from Truk to Eniwetok and back in response to U.S. carrier raids in the Central Pacific.

21-27 October:

Escorted tanker HOYO MARU from Truk to Eniwetok and back in support of fleet operating in Marshalls-area.

2 November:

Departed Truk on aircrew transport run to Rabaul, but diverted to assist damaged tanker NISSHO MARU.

11 November:
Commander Tanaka promoted to Captain.

12-24 November:

Escorted convoys from Truk to Palau and back.

7-14 December:

Escorted CHITOSE and IRAKO from Truk to Yokosuka.

10 January 1944:
Relief of Captain Tanaka by Lieutenant Commander Suga Akiji [56] (C.O. SAZANAMI) ordered but never realized due to Suga's death in SAZANAMI's sinking.

11-16 January:

With YUKIKAZE and CHITOSE, escorted high-speed tanker convoy (HI-31: OMUROSAN MARU, TATEKAWA MARU, ITSUKUSHIMA MARU, GENYO MARU, KUROSHIO MARU, HOKUROKU MARU) from Moji bound for Singapore. Heavy damage: torpedoed north of the Spratly Islands by USS REDFIN (SS-272). Explosion of No.1 TT mount severed bow and killed 80, including Comdesdiv 16 (Captain Furukawa Bunji [49]). However, Captain Tanaka (to 2
nd Surface Escort Group; later Instructor, Torpedo School) survives to take charge of the aft section. Presumed sunk by convoy, left adrift for six days until discovery by patrol plane.[1]

24-30 January:

Towed by ASAGAO to Cape St. Jacques, then emergency repairs.

15 March:
Captain Sasaki Takanobu [47] (X.O., 11
th Special Base Force) assigned extra duty as ship's captain, releiving Captain Tanaka.

31 March:

Removed from Desdiv 16; attached to First Southern Expeditionary Fleet, Southwest Area Fleet.

2 September:
Captain Sasaki relieved by Captain Hasebe Yoshizo [40] (C.O. HAYATOMO).

15 November:

Arrived in Singapore for fitting of temporary bow, then local escort duties.[2]

10 February 1945:
Captain Hasebe relieved by Lieutenant Morita Tomoyuki [68].

19-30 March:

Escorted convoy (HI-88J: last convoy to depart Singapore for Japan) from Singapore to Yulin. Heavy losses led to convoy dissolution at Yulin.[3] However, when enemy B-25's raid Yulin, AMATSUKAZE shoots one down.

31 March:
AMATSUKAZE, CD MANJU, No.18, SC-20, and No.9 depart Yulin for the homeland.

2 April:
Arrived at Hong Kong.

3 April:
Hong Kong raided by about 50 enemy B-24s. MANJU damaged in the attack.

4 April:
1730: AMATSUKAZE, No.18, SC-20, CD No.1, CD. No. 134 (Flag Cmdr. Hirano), and No.9 depart Hong Kong with convoy HO-MO-03 of two marus; KINE [or KOSHI] MARU and DAI 2 TOKAI MARU. MANJU remains at Hong Kong.

5 April:
Starting early morning throughout day, convoy undergoes air attack from land-based bombers. SC No.9 is damaged and forced to return to Hong Kong. KINE [or KOSHI] MARU and DAI 2 TOKAI MARU are sunk; after rescueing their survivors SC-20 returns to Hong Kong.

6 April:

- 1140 South of Amoy, twenty-four B-25s attack the small convoy. CD No.1 and No. 134 are quickly sunk.
- 1230 By this time AMATSUKAZE receives three three direct hits from the B-25s in turn. One struck in the auxiliary machinery room (forward of No.2 turret); a second in the radio room, and the third in the wardroom. In addition, multiple rocket hits damaged the barrels of No.2 and No.3 turrets. The rear bridge was collapsed and topside damage heavy. All power was lost and Amatsukaze became adrift with bad fires raging aft. Amatsukaze claimed five planes shot down, and four damaged.(It was actually three planes destroyed).[4]
- 2015 AMATSUKAZE has arrived off Amoy harbor continuing to drift.
- 2100 Rudder fails, and unable to anchor she runs aground (possibly deliberately to avoid sinking) on the shoals south of Amoy Harbor. Fires continue to burn throughout the night. Six officers, including Lt. Morita and 150 men survived; 3 officers, 1 passenger, and 41 crew lost.

8 April:
A message is sent requesting a tow vessel. However worsening weather and rising seas cause additional flooding. The ship is lightened, and that evening the storm floats her clear. Assisted by army boats AMATSUKAZE drifts across the bay and grounds at 24-15'N, 118-00'E. Continued bad weather frustrates salvage attempts. She soon fully bottoms with both engine rooms flooded.

10 April:
Sunk: By this time the destroyer is a wreck, reporting: Hull, ordnance, engine rooms, radio room, aft officer's ron. The wreck is blown up, and designated as a target to be used by Japanese bombers for training.[5]

10 May:
Designated “Reserve Ship 4
th Class,” later expended as target for Japanese aircraft.

10 August 1945:

Removed from Navy List.

[1] Editorial Note I - USS Redfin's patrol report reveals the submarine was stalking the convoy near dusk on the surface when the Amatsukaze was sighted overtaking steadily from astern. Suddenly the Japanese destroyer lit off all boilers, and commenced a charge. Redfin had been sighted, and a hot pursuit ensued. At 1949 (sub was using H-time, here adjusted to JST) the Amatsukaze opened fire. Cornered Redfin retaliated with four stern tubes; one of which struck the port bow at 1952 setting off the forward magazine and producing a fireball that caused the sub to believe all its torpedoes had struck and demolished the destroyer. - (Tully)

[2] Editorial Note II - Spectacular photographs taken during Amatsukaze's final action reveal the character of her transformation. Her hull had been cut off at the former location of No.1 TT mount, and a temporary bridge and snub-nosed bow fitted there. Her No.2 stack became her only stack, and was just abaft the temporary bridge. Perhaps not surprisingly, in this case No.2 5-inch turret was not removed, and she retained both aft turrets. From No.2 stack aft, Amatsukaze thus remained a normal looking Kagero-class destroyer.- (Tully)

[3] Editorial Note III - Hi88J indeed suffered heavily. Of the original composition of seven marus - Sarawak, Kaiko, Asokawa, Honan, Araosan, Tencho, Saigon Maru -- and seven escorts - No.134 (Flag), Nos. 18, 26, 84, 130,134, Manju, and Amatsukaze; four marus and three kaibokan were crippled or sunk by the time they arrived at Hainan Island on 30 March. - (Tully)

[4] These B-25s were from the 500th and 498th Bomb Squadrons of 345th Bombardment Group. With the 501st and 499 Squadrons they formed an anti-shipping strike launched that day. The 501st and 499th sank CD-1 and CD-134 only twenty minutes prior to the attack on Amatsukaze by the other two squadrons. - (Tully)

[5] Of interest Lt. Morita was appointed to command of the Sijiao Island garrison, China Theater Fleet and remained there till after the war. - (Tully)

Acknowledgements: Special thanks to Anthony Tully and Bill Somerville for contributing from their works to this TROM.

Back to Long Lancers Page