(TSUBAME by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

Tabular Record of Movement

© 2008-2014 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 4

28 July 1939:
Tokyo. Laid down at Ishikawajima Shipbuilding as minelayer No. 61.

30 September 1939:

9 December 1939:

31 October 1940:
Completed and assigned to the Yokosuka Naval District. Attached to the Yokosuka Guard Unit at Tateyama.

December 1941:
Participates in ASW patrols in Yokosuka-Toba area.

5 December 1941:
At 0820 departs Nagaura. At 1545 arrives back at Nagaura.

6 December 1941:
At 0810 departs Nagaura and at 1345 arrives back at Nagaura.

7 December 1941:
At 0600 departs Nagaura and at 1700 returns to Nagaura.

8 December 1941:
At 0625 departs Nagaura, arrives back at 1520 with SARUSHIMA before departing again at 2130 with SARUSHIMA.

10 December 1941:
At 2240 arrives at Nagaura.

11 December 1941:
At 0700 departs Nagaura.

12 December 1941:
At 1345 arrives at Nagaura but departs at 1515 before returning later that day.

16 December 1941:
At 1800 UKISHIMA and SARUSHIMA depart Nagaura.

8 January 1942:
At 1455 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA arrive at Nagaura.

9 January 1942:
At 0930 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA depart Nagaura.

16 January 1942:
At 1725 UKISHIMA arrives at Nagaura.

17 January 1942:
At 1250 departs Nagaura.

18 January 1942:
At 1055 arrives at Nagaura and departs at 1505.

26 January 1942:
At 1620 arrives at Nagaura.

27 January 1942:
At 0830 departs Nagaura.

29 January 1942:
At 0930 arrives at Nagaura.

5 February 1942:
At 1400 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA depart Nagaura.

16 February 1942:
At 1140 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA return to Nagaura.

17 February 1942:
At 0800 UKISHIMA departs Nagaura.

24 February 1942:
At 1830 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA arrive at Manazuru.

25 February 1942:
At 2120 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA depart Manazuru.

26 February 1942:
At 1240 UKISHIMA arrives back at Nagaura.

3 March 1942:
At 0930 arrives at Nagaura.

6 March 1942:
At 1230 departs Nagaura but returns to port at 1600.

8 March 1942:
At 1200 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA depart Nagaura.

9 March 1942:
At 0700 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA arrive at Toba. UKISHIMA departs Toba at an unknown date.

15 March 1942:
At 0935 arrives at Nagaura.

16 March 1642:
At 1450 departs Nagaura.

21 March 1942:
At 1640 arrives at Nagaura.

26 March 1942:
At 1520 departs Nagaura.

12 April 1942:
At 1110 arrives at Nagaura and departs there at 1600.

27 April 1942:
At 1300 arrives at Nagaura.

28 April 1942:
At 0900 departs Nagaura.

11 May 1942:
At 1920 arrives at Nagaura.

12 May 1942:
At 1215 departs Nagaura.

E 17 May 1942:
Returns to Tokyo Bay.

18 May 1942:
At 0900, UKISHIMA departs from off Futtsu Saki, Tokyo Bay escorting a westbound convoy consisting of SHICHISEI, KIYO and YAMAZURU MARUs.

21 May 1942:
UKISHIMA arrives at Yokosuka escorting DAIBOSHI MARU No. 6.

24 May 1942:
In the morning survey ship escort KOMAHASHI and UKISHIMA both depart from Tokyo Bay escorting an unnumbered northbound convoy consisting of SAPPORO, AMAHO, FUKOKU, NICHIUN, HEIWA MARUs and SHINSEI MARU No.18. Late that day when 55 degrees off Katsuura KOMAHASHI is detached and returns to Yokosuka.

25 May 1942:
At 0700 arrives at Nagaura and at 1405 departs port.

7 June 1942:
At 1700 arrives at Nagaura.

12 June 1942:
At 1230 departs Nagaura.

22 June 1942:
At 0500 departs Tokyo Bay escorting the tankers NIPPON and SHINKOKU MARUs en route to Ominato with destroyer YAMAKAZE. At some point UKISHIMA detaches and returns to Tokyo.

27 June 1942:
UKISHIMA and submarine chasers CH-13 and CH-14 and possibly auxilliary minesweeper MUSASHI MARU departs Tateyama escorting seaplane tender CHIYODA.

28 June 1942:
SE of Tateyama. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral, retired) William H. Brockman's (USNA í27) USS NAUTILUS (SS-168) attacks the convoy and fires three torpedoes. At 1525, CHIYODA lookouts spot two incoming wakes. CHIYODA evades both and contacts UKISHIMA patrolling in the area with subchasers CH-13 and CH-14.

UKISHIMA detects the submarine first and drops 11 depth-charges. Later, she and the subchasers are joined by minesweeper W-17, destroyer KAGERO and two patrol bombers from the Tateyama Naval Air Group (NAG). USS NAUTILUS undergoes a severe depth charging, which forces her back to Pearl Harbor for repairs. [1]

1 July 1942:
At 1530 arrives at Nagaura.

2 July 1942:
At 1110 departs Nagaura.

8 July 1942:
At 0950 arrives at Nagaura.

10 July 1942:
Reassigned to the Fifth Fleet.

11 July 1942:
At 0900 departs Nagaura.

14 July 1942:
At 1230 ISHIZAKI and UKISHIMA depart Ominato.

19 July 1942:
At 1020 both arrive at Kataoka Wan, Shimushu Jima.

21 July 1942:
At 0800 both depart Kataoka Wan.

24 July 1942:
At 0600 both arrive at Kiska.

26-28 July 1942:
Escorting HINO MARU No. 2 and departing at 1600 the 3 vessels lay a protective net in the vicinity of Kiska harbor.

28 July 1942:
At 1723 all arrive back at Kiska

30 July 1942:
At 0200 UKISHIMA alone departs Kiska but returns later that day.

31 July 1942:
Off Kiska, Aleutians. At 0547, LtCdr Mannert L. AbeleĎs (USNA í26) (former CO of USS S-31) USS GRUNION (SS-216), on her first war patrol, torpedoes freighter KANO MARU and gets a hit on the starboard machinery room. LtCdr Abele fires three more unreliable Mark-14 torpedoes. One runs deep and the others hit, but fail to explode. Abele attempts to surface and sink KANO MARU by gunfire, but an old 8-cm/40 (3-inch) Type 41 gun opens fire on USS GRUNION's periscope. KANO MARU's 84th shot hits the conning tower. USS GRUNION crash dives, but AbeleĎs green crew loses control. USS GRUNION exceeds crush depth, implodes and is lost. [2]

Later that day, UKISHIMA, subchaser CH-26 and mine layer ISHIZAKI arrive on scene. They observe much oil, a piece of lifeguard buoy, submarine deck material and other things. At 0735, a crew from ISHIZAKI board KANO MARU and assist with urgent repairs while ISHIZAKI stands by. At 0813, all crewmen, but damage parties, and passengers are transferred to ISHIZAKI and leave for Kiska. Aboard KANO MARU, preparation is made for towing. The 5th Guards Unitís commander orders auxiliary transport KIKUKAWA MARU to tow KANO MARU. At 1545, transport KIKUKAWA MARU arrives and connects up a towline by 1645. At 1700 towing commences with ISHIZAKI providing escort. At 1735, most of KANO MARUís remaining personnel board ISHIZAKI. At 1900, the towing cable breaks. Later, due to dense fog KIKUKAWA MARUís Captain requests permission to suspend towing. The damaged KANO MARU drifts the entire night on the Bering Sea.

1 August 1942:
Because of the difficult towing conditions, at 1100 ISHIZAKI takes over the tow and at 1206, KIKUKAWA MARU is lashed to the starboard side of KANO MARU to provide buoyancy and support. At 1430, towing is resumed.

2 August 1942:
At 0600 ISHIZAKI and at 0625 UKISHIMA arrive back at Kiska. Take stores from storeship HYUGA MARU.

5 August 1942:
At 2040 both minelayers depart Kiska on a preliminary sweep, returning at 2245.

6 August 1942:
At 0100 ISHIZAKI and UKISHIMA depart Kiska escorting KIKUKAWA MARU.

9 August 1942:
At 0914 arrives at Kataoka Wan.

11 August 1942:
At 0700 ISHIZAKI and UKISHIMA departs Kataoka Wan.

13 August 1942:
At 1300 both arrive at Wakkanai.

14 August 1942:
At 0800 both depart Wakkanai.

16 August 1942:
Returns to Yokosuka. At 1645 arrives at Nagaura.

17 August 1942:
At 1435 departs Nagaura.

25 August 1942:
At 0805 arrives at Yokosuka.

26 August 1942:
At 1015 departs Yokosuka.

27 August 1942:
At 0840 arrives at Nagaura.

3 September 1942:
At 0800 departs Nagaura.

5 September 1942:
At 1645 arrives at Nagaura.

8 September 1942:
At 0625 departs Nagaura.

17 September 1942:
At 1000 departs from off Futtsu escorting a west bound convoy consisting of KIZUGAWA, SHICHISEI, FUKKEN and NIIGATA MARUs. The convoy sails at 9 knots.

20 September 1942:
At 1030 departs from off Futtsu escorting a west bound convoy consisting of YAMAZURU, CHOKO and DAISHIN MARUs. The convoy sails at 9 knots.

21 September 1942:
At 1420 arrives at Nagaura.

22 September 1942:
At 1930 departs Nagaura.

23 September 1942:
At 1030 departs from off Futtsu escorting a west bound convoy consisting of SEICHU (KIYOTADA),YOMEI, KINREI and TAKASAGO MARUs. The convoy sails at 9 knots.

25 September 1942:
At 1435 arrives at Nagaura.

1 February 1943:
At 0500 departs Nagaura probably escorting a convoy.

2 February 1943:
At 0230 arrives at Suruga Wan.

3 February 1943:
At 0600 arrives at Matoya Wan.

4 February 1943:
Convoy 7204 departs Tokyo for the Inland Sea consisting of TAIRYU, KURETAKE, CHIYO and YUZAN MARUs part way escorted by UKISHIMA. At 2200 UKISHIMA departs Matoya Wan to meet the convoy.

5 February 1943:
At 1155 arrives back at Uraga.

6 February 1943:
At 0930 departs Uraga and later arrives at Sagami Wan. At 1630 returns to Nagaura.

7 February 1943:
At 1415 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Bay. At 1600 arrives back at Nagaura.

9 February 1943:
At 0600 departs Nagaura escorting TATSUTA MARU. At 1350 off Sagami Wan UKISHIMA detaches and later at 2305 arrives back at Yokosuka.

10 February 1943:
At 0630 departs Yokosuka for Sagami Wan. At 1510 returns to Nagaura.

14 February 1943:
At 0830 departs Nagaura and enters No.3 Drydock for repairs.

19 February 1943:
At 1300 undocked and returns to Nagaura.

22 February 1943:
At 0830 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Bay. At 1745 arrives back at Nagaura.

23 February 1943:
At 0830 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Bay. At 1600 returns to Nagaura.

25 February 1943:
At 0830 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Bay. At 1220 returns to Nagaura.

26 February 1943:
At 0130 departs on patrol.

27 February 1943:
At 0815 arrives at Nagaura.

28 February 1943:
At 0820 departs Nagaura. At 2205 meets up with auxiliary patrol boat TOSEI MARU.

1 March 1943:
At 0215 departs Sagami Nada and at 0500 off Ito meets up with KASHII MARU in Sagami Nada and escorts ship. At 1500 arrives at Nagaura.

5 March 1943:
At 0900 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA depart Nagaura escorting a convoy.

6 March 1943:
At 1230 both escorts arrive back at Nagaura.

7 March 1943:
At 1000 SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA transfer from Nagaura to Tokyo Bay. At 1206 both depart Tokyo Bay.

8 March 1943:
At 0600 both depart and patrol the Sagami Nada. At 1530 both return to Nagaura.

9 March 1943:
At 0900 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Wan. At 1745 returns to Nagaura.

11 March 1943:
At 0840 transfers from Nagaura to Tokyo Wan. At 1615 returns to Nagaura.

12 March 1943:
At 1600 departs Nagaura and waits off Shioya Zaki. Then meets up with KASAGI MARU and escorts vessel.

15 March 1943:
At 2350 arrives at Nagaura.

18 March 1943:
At 0500 departs Nagaura for Sagami Wan. At 1600 arrives back at Nagaura from Sagami Wan.

19 March 1943:
At 1800 UKISHIMA departs Nagaura.

20 March 1943:
At 0100 both SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA temporarily anchor off Inubo Zaki.

21 March 1943:
At 0100 both SARUSHIMA and UKISHIMA arrive at Tsateyama. At 0800 both depart and at 1530 both anchor off Inuwaka.

22 March 1943:
At 0600 both depart Inuwaka and anchor off Inubo Zaki. At 1200 both anchor off Choshi.

23 March 1943:
At 0500 both depart Choshi.

25 March 1943:
At 2205 UKISHIMA arrives at Nagaura.

27 March 1943:
At 0900 departs Nagaura escorting a convoy.

28 March 1943:
At 1730 arrives at Tateyama.

29 March 1943:
At 0600 departs Tateyama and at 0800 arrives at Nagaura.

30 March 1943:
At 0540 departs Nagaura and later that day arrives at Katsuura.

31 March 1943:
Departs Katsuura and at 1000 arrives back at Nagaura.

7 April 1943:
UKISHIMA and the destroyer YUZUKI departs Tokyo Wan for Saipan escorting convoy No. 3408 consisting of KAGU, HIDE and TATSUMIYA MARUs. At some point UKISHIMA is detached.

16 November 1943:
11 nm SE of Hatsushima, off the coast of Shizuoka. UKISHIMA is returning to Uraga after an ASW sweep, when she is lost due to unknown causes and sinks at 34-55N, 139-22E. [3]

31 January 1944:
Removed from the Navy List.

Author's Notes:
[1] Kimata identifies target as the tanker CHIYODA MARU but this ship was only completed in March 1943. LtCdr Brockman (USS NAUTILUS) claimed an attack on a 3 funnelled cruiser which is consistent with a misidentification of seaplane tender CHIYODA, the extra two funnels being the pillars supporting the vessel's crane machinery.

[2] On 16 Aug 2006, the wreck of USS GRUNION was found N of McArthur Reef, Kiska by the Abele brotherís expedition. The cause of USS GRUNION's sinking is based on an Hypothesis Report made using pictures taken by an ROV of USS GRUNION's wreck in 2007 and published on the USS GRUNION Blog.

[3] Japanese sources claim UKISHIMA was torpedoed by an unidentified submarine. However, other souces claim she may have struck a mine laid by USS SUNFISH (SS-281).

No data were found on UKISHIMAís movements during most of 1943. Readers with access to such data are requested to post the information on the Discussion and Questions board or j-aircraft.org's IJN Ship Message Board

Thanks to Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall.

Back to Minelayer Page