(HASHIMA-class cable-layer TSURUSHIMA on trials 20 Mar Ď41)

IJN Cable-Minelayer TSURUSHIMA:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2011 Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp

15 January 1940:
Kobe. Laid down at Kawasaki Shipbuilding as a 1564-ton (standard) HASHIMA-class cable-layer.

1 March 1941:
Launched and named TSURUSHIMA.

28 March 1941:
Completed and registered in the Kure Naval District. Cdr (later Rear Admiral, posthumously) Yamamoto Iwata (46)(former XO of TSURUGISAKI) is posted Chief Equipping Officer. Attached to the Saeki Guard Force.

1 July 1941:
An unknown officer assumes command. Cdr Yamamoto is posted ComDesDiv 32.

14 December 1942:
TSURUSHIMA and subchaser CH-37 depart Saeki in convoy "I" consisting of UCHIDE, CHINZEI, MEXICO, TSUKIKAWA, SHINSOKU MARUs and DAIGEN MARU No. 3

E 15 December 1942:
The escorts are detached at 29N.

3 January 1943:
TSURUSHIMA and patrol boat PB-31 depart Saeki escorting convoy "S" (No. 8 Military Movement) consisting of KOSHU MARU No. 2, ASAKA, NISHIYAMA (SEIZAN), IWATE, IKOMA, HOKO MARUs.

E 4 January 1943:
The escorts are detached at 29N.

21 January 1943:
TSURUSHIMA departs Saeki with minelayer NATSUSHIMA escorting the V Convoy (No. 8 Military Movement) consisting of DAKAR and KENYO MARUs.

E 22 January 1943:
At latitude 29 degrees north the escorts are detached.

27 February 1943:
TSURUSHIMA and minelayer YURIJIMA join civilian tanker TAINAN MARU off Fukajima and escort her south.

E 28 February 1943:
The escorts are detach at 29N.

9 February 1943:
TSURUSHIMA and subchaser CH-36 join KAMIKAZE MARU off Mizunoko lighthouse and escort her south.

E 10 February 1943:
The escorts are detached 90 degrees off Toi Misaki.

7 March 1943:
At Ariake Bay (Shibushi Wan), TSURUSHIMA and subchaser CH-36, patrol boat PB-31, minelayer NATSUSHIMA and auxiliary minesweeper TAMA MARU No. 7 escort damaged transport CLYDE MARU north.

16 July 1943:
Off Hojo, Ehime Prefecture, Shikoku. URADO MARU is sunk in a collision with SEIZAN MARU. TSURUSHIMA and auxiliary minesweeper YACHIJO MARU are dispatched to assist SEIZAN MARU that rescued the survivors.

At an unknown date and place, TSURUSHIMA is converted to a minelayer. Two Type 2 depth charge throwers are fitted and her mine storage capacity is increased from 12 to 120 Type 93 mines. Her armament is increased by the addition of six Type 96 25-mm AA guns.

2 June 1944:
At 0825, TSURUSHIMA departs Singapore for Saigon, Indochina in convoy SHISA-21 consisting of TATEISHI and HEIAN MARUs escorted by minesweeper W-18.

6 June 1944:
At 0700, arrives at Saigon.

30 October 1944:
TSURUSHIMA departs Kirun (Keelung) in convoy TAMO-27 also consisting of DAIKO, TEIKA (ex-Vichy French CAP VARELLA), UNZEN and EIYO MARUs and seven unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyer HASU, TSUGA, kaibokan DAITO and CD-25.

5 November 1944:
TAMO-27 arrives at Moji.

15 August 1945: Hostilities Cease:
Surrendered to the Allies.

30 November 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Transferred to the Allied Department of Transport and renamed TSURUSHIMA MARU.

September 1951:
Under the terms of the United Nations Peace Treaty, TSURUSHIMA MARU is officially returned to the Japanese Government. Serves with the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (J.M.S.D.F.)

Transferred to the Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (now NTT) Corporation of Japan.

February 1968:
During drydocking, three cracks are discovered in the propeller.

Sold for scrap.

9 October 1968:
Scrapping commences at Numakuma.

Authors' Note:
[1] Some sources say CH-40 rather than CH-30.

Thanks go to Peter Cundall of Australia.

Photo credit goes to Fukuiís Japanese Naval Vessels 1860-1945. Fukui Shizuo Collection via J. Ed Low.

-Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp

Back to Cable-Layers Page