Tabular Record of Movement

© 2009-2018 Bob Hackett, Gilbert Casse and Peter Cundall.
Revision 9

Dunkerque (Dunkirk), France. Laid down at the France Shipyard as a 5,795-ton cargo ship for Louis Dreyfus Armateurs.

25 January 1936:
Launched and named PIERRE L.D. [1]


3 September 1939-Outbreak of World War II :
After the German invasion of Poland, Britain and France declare war on Nazi Germany.

8 October 1939:
Departs Saigon via Batavia, Java for France.

11 October 1939:
Arrives at Batavia.

8 November 1939:
Arrives at Dakar.

25 June 1940: Franco-German Armistice:
Morocco. At the time of Armistice, PIERRE L.D. is at Mazagan coming from Casablanca. Part of Vichy’s fleet, she remains idle at Mazagan.

September 1940:
Vichy France grants Japan limited military occupation of Indochina.

Acquired by the Compagnie Marseillaise de Navigation Coloniale. The name of PIERRE L.D., as all other Louis Dreyfus' ships, is changed to PERSEE. [2]

Early 1942:
Steams via Dakar to Madagascar and Indochina.

March 1942:
Departs Saigon for Yokohama with her French crew.

10 April 1942:
Indochina. The Japanese requisition PERSEE under the Right of Angary.

April 1942:
Arrives at Yokohama. Chartered by Teikoku Senpaku Kaisha (Imperial Steamship Co.) wholly owned by the Japanese Government. Renamed TEIHOKU MARU. Operated by the Mitsui Line and used as an armed cargo ship under civilian control.

April-May 1942:
PERSEE's French crew and those crewmen of requisitioned CAP VARELLA, BOUGAINVILLE and VILLE DE VERDUN are repatriated to Haiphong, northern Indochina on board CAP VARELLA now renamed TEIKA MARU.

8 May 1942:
Registered in the port of Kobe. Assigned call sign JKJR.

6 July 1942:
At 1300 Departs Mako, Pescadores for Tokyo via Moji in convoy No. 230 also consisting of HAKUBASAN, SHOYO, TAIBUN, WAKATSU, SHOGEN, NAGANO, MURORAN, RYUUN, HAMBURG, TAIKA, BRAZIL, NORFOLK and GINYO MARUs and MIKAGE MARU No. 3 and one unidentified merchant ship escorted by auxiliary gunboats PEKING and CHOHAKUSAN MARUs.

11 July 1942:
At 2200 arrives at Moji.

20 July 1942:
At 1030 departs from off Futtsu in a west bound convoy also consisting of TAIRYU (1912 grt), TATSUTAGAWA, SHINWA, KIZUGAWA, WAKATAKE, YOMEI, SHICHISEI and YOMEI MARUs escorted by the destroyer OKIKAZE.

2 September 1942:
The charter to Teikoku Senpaku Kaisha expires.

7 September 1942:
At 0830 departs from off Futtsu in a west bound convoy also consisting of ISSEI and HAKONE MARUs escorted by the destroyer OKIKAZE.

25 March 1943:
Departs Moji in convoy also consisting of tanker OTOWASAN MARU with unknown, if any escort.

1 (or 3) April 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

18 April 1943:
TEIHOKU MARU departs Singapore in convoy No. 683 consisting of RASHIN MARU and tanker SEISHIN MARU escorted by auxiliary gunboat KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARU.

21 April 1943:
Arrives at St Jacques.

21 May 1943:
At 1600, TEIHOKU MARU departs Manila in the MB convoy consisting of TEIKO MARU (ex-French D’ARTAGNAN) escorted by one unidentified escort. Steams at 12 knots.

26 May 1943:
At 1200, arrives at Singapore.

18 June 1943:
At Takao.

25 June 1943:
Departs Takao in convoy No.757 also consisting of TAIFUKU and ISUZU MARUs without escort.

28 June 1943:
Arrives at Manila.

6 July 1943:
Departs Tokyo for Singapore with tanker OTORISAN MARU and possibly others for Singapore.

16 July 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

4 September 1943:
Merchant captain Akutagawa is in command.

8 September 1943:
Departs Kobe and later that day arrives at Osaka.

13 September 1943:
Departs Osaka.

28 September 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

15 October 1943:
Departs Singapore in convoy No. 628 also consisting of tanker ICHIYO MARU and one unidentified ship without escort.

18 October 1943:
Arrives at St Jacques.

20 October 1943:
Arrives at Saigon.

3 November 1943:
Departs Saigon.

21 November 1943:
Minesweeper W-27 departs Kobe escorting convoy No. 8121A consisting of NIKKIN, TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE) and KOKUYO MARUs. The convoy sails at 8.5 knots.

23 November 1943:
Arrives at Kawasaki.

30 November 1943:
Departs Kawasaki and later that day arrives at Tokyo. Enters dock at Ishikawajima's shipyard.

12 December 1943:
Undocked. Departs Tokyo.

15 December 1943:
Arrives at Kobe.

24 December 1943:
Departs Kobe and later that day arrives at Osaka.

27 December 1943:
Departs Osaka.

28 December 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

29 December 1943:
At 1500 departs Moji in convoy No.125 also consisting of SEINAN, KOKKO, KOSHIN, YAMAMIYA, KANAN, KENZUI, KAZUURA MARUs escorted by destroyer ASAGAO and minesweepers W 4 and W 5.

4 January 1944:
At 0932 arrives at Takao.

6 January 1944:
Departs Takao in convoy No.351 also consisting of KENZUI, KANAN MARUs, and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by the destroyer ASAGAO.

12 January 1944:
Arrives Cap St Jacques. Later that day departs in convoy No.539 also consisting of tanker EIHO MARU HAKUSHIKA, KANAN, and HAVRE (5467 gt) MARUs without escort.

15 January 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

28 January 1944:
Departs Singapore and later that day arrives at Bintan.

29 January 1944:
Departs Bintan and later that day arrives at Singapore.

6 February 1944:
At 1300 departs Singapore with KONAN MARU No. 1 and sails at 11 knots.

9 February 1944:
At 0900 expected ETA arrival at St Jacques.

24 February 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

10 March 1944:
Departs Takao.

23 March 1944:
Arrives at Osaka.

4 April 1944:
Departs Osaka and later that day arrives at Kobe.

15 April 1944:
Departs Kobe.

17 April 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

19 April 1944:
Departs Moji.

20 April 1944:
At 0600 departs Moji in convoy HI-59 also consisting of OKIGAWA, NIPPO, EIHO, NIYO, MANEI, OTORISAN, AOBASAN, TENEI, and MANKO MARUs escorted by kaibokan KURAHASHI, CD 10, CD 11, ands CD 20.

22 April 1944:
Anchors off Ssu Chiao Shan.

26 April 1944:
Departs Ssu Chiao Shan. Later that day NIYO MARU suffers an engine breakdown and is towed by MANKO MARU to Woosung with CD 11 as escort.

28 April 1944:
At 1410 arrives at Takao.

29 April 1944:
At 0920 departs Takao.

2 May 1944:
At 1200 arrives Manila and the convoy is dissolved.

5 May 1944:
TEIHOKU MARU departs Manila in convoy MAMI-09 consisting of cargo ship OMINE MARU and tankers SAN LUIS, TAKETOYO and SEISHIN MARUs escorted by destroyers ASAKAZE and HARUKAZE and kaibokan CD-11 enroute to Singapore via Miri.

9 May 1944:
Arrives at Miri.

12 May 1944:
At 1440, TEIHOKU MARU departs Miri in convoy MISHI-01 consisting of OMINE MARU and tanker SEISHIN MARU escorted by minesweeper W-18.

15 May 1944:
At 1500, the convoy arrives Singapore.

25 May 1944:
Departs Singapore and later that day arrives at Bintan.

27 May 1944:
Departs Bintan and later that day arrives at Singapore.

3 June 1944:
At 1000, TEIHOKU MARU departs Singapore for Moji in bauxite convoy HO-02 consisting of TAMAHOKO, HIYORI, TAINAN, KENNICHI, SHONAN, NICHIWA, HONAN (ex WAR SIRDAR) and HIOKI MARUs and KONAN MARU No. 1, and nine unidentified ships escorted by kaibokan CD-1, CD-8, CD-15, CD-20 and minelayer AOTAKA.

6 June 1944:
S of Nishino-Torishima Island. 160 miles off Cape St. Jacques, Indochina. LtCdr (later Cdr) James W. Davis' (USNA ’30) USS RATON (SS-270) attacks the convoy. At 2225, Davis torpedoes and sinks CD-15 at 08-57N, 109-17E. 104 crewmen are KIA. CD-8 and CD-20 rescue 34 survivors. CD-1, CD-8 and CD-20 counterattack, dropping a total of 57 depth-charges. USS RATON is damaged, but remains on patrol.

11 June 1944:
Arrives at Manila. NASUSAN MARU joins the convoy.

14 June 1944:
Departs Manila.

20 June 1944:
TEIHOKU MARU departs Takao for Moji in convoy HO-02 consisting of NASUSAN, TAMAHOKO, KENNICHI and TAINAN MARUs and seven other unidentified ships escorted by kaibokan CD-1, an unidentified kaibokan, minelayer and whaling ship. TAMAHOKO MARU is carrying 772 Allied POWs from camps at Batavia, Java, including 42 American POWs.

24 June 1944:
Koshiki Straits, 40 miles SW of Nagasaki, Kyushu. At 2350, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Richard H. O’Kane’s (USNA ’34) USS TANG (SS-306) attacks the convoy. At 2354, Kane torpedoes and sinks NASUSAN, TAMAHOKO, KENNICHI and TAINAN MARUs at 32-24N, 129-38E. NASUSAN MARU sinks with 11 crewmen KIA; KENNICHI MARU with two gunners and 34 crewmen KIA; and on TAINAN MARU 39 crewmen were killed together with an unknown number of the 454 repatriates from Formosa that were onboard. The whaling ship picks up some survivors, but 560 POWs are lost including 15 American soldiers and sailors. CD-1 attempts to counterattack, but is not fast enough to pursue USS TANG.

26 June 1944:
At 1400, the remainder of convoy HO-02 arrives at Moji.

27 June 1944:
Arrives at Kobe.

29 June 1944:
Departs Kobe.

1 July 1944:
Arrives at Shimizu.

4 July 1944:
Departs Shimizu.

6 July 1944:
Arrives at Tama. Enters dock at the Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Tamano shipyard.

20 July 1944:
Undocked. Departs Tama.

21 July 1944:
Arrives at Kobe.

28 July 1944:
Departs Kobe.

30 July 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

4 August 1944:
TEIHOKU MARU departs Moji for Takao in convoy MOTA-22 consisting of KENJO, GASSAN, HAKUSAN, TEIKA (ex-French CAP VARELLA), TERUKUNI, TACHIBANA, NANREI, GENKAI, HIOKI, MANSHU, RAKUTO, SHIRANESAN, SHONAN and KOSHIN MARUs and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2, DAIBOSHI MARU No. 6 and five unidentified ships escorted by kaibokan HIBURI, FUKUE, ETOROFU, CD-8, CD-10, CD-25, CD-32 and CH-49, minelayer TAKASHIMA and gunboat UJI. Among other cargo, the convoy carries the IJA's 25th Tank Regiment redeploying from Baotau, North China to Formosa.

6 August 1944:
Off SW Kyushu. At 0411, LtCdr (later Admiral/CINCPACFLT) Bernard A. Clarey’s (USNA ‘34) USS PINTADO (SS-387) torpedoes and sinks SHONAN MARU at 30-53N, 129-45E. The ship was carrying elements of IJA's 25th Tank Regiment redeploying from Baotau, North China to Formosa, general cargo and four daihatsu barges. Two crew and 3 gunners are KIA.

9 August 1944:
At 1310, KOSHIN MARU's ammunition cargo explodes and the ship sinks at 26-10N, 124-15E. 28 crewmen are KIA.

10 August 1944:
Arrives at Keelung. GASSAN, HAKUSAN, KENJO, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA) and HIOKI MARUs are detached.

11 August 1944:
Departs Keelung.

12 August 1944:
Arrives at Saei.

22 August 1944:
At 1410, TEIHOKU MARU departs Takao for Manila in convoy TAMA-24 consisting of HIOKI, KOTOKU, RAKUTO, BATOPAHAT, GENKAI and MANSHU MARUs and tankers TACHIBANA and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 and an unidentified ship, probably YUKIKAWA MARU escorted by kaibokan YASHIRO, CD-8, CD-25, CD-32, torpedo boat HATO and minesweepers W-38 and W-39.

24 August 1944:
Arrives at Aparri, Philippines.

25 August 1944:
CD-25 and GENKAI MARU are detached. Destroyer YUNAGI joins TAMA-24. At 1024, Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Glynn R. Donaho's (USNA ‘29) USS PICUDA (SS-382) torpedoes and sinks KOTOKU MARU at 18-42N, 120-49E with the loss of 16 of her crew. At 1026, in the same position, Donaho torpedoes and sinks YUNAGI as the destroyer attempts a counter-attack. 32 sailors are KIA, the survivors including her CO, LtCdr Iwabuchi Goro (61), are rescued by CD-25. At 1325, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Louis D. McGregor's (USNA ‘30) USS REDFISH (SS-395) torpedoes and sinks BATOPAHAT MARU at 18-31N, 120-32E. The ship was carrying 480 troops, weapons and war supplies. 17 crewmen and an unknown number of passengers are KIA.

28 August 1944:
At 2100, arrives at Manila.

5 September 1944:
Departs Manila in convoy MAMI-10 consisting of FUKUJU, TEIHOKU MARUs, tanker ZUIYO MARU and four unidentified merchant ships escorted by kaibokan CD-8, CD-25 and CD-32.

11 September 1944:
Arrives at Miri.

13 September 1944:
Departs Miri in convoy MISHI-09 consisting of FUKUJU, TEIHOKU MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by auxiliary minesweepers CHOUN MARU No. 7, CHOUN MARU No. 6 and TOSHI MARU No. 2.

17 September 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

26 September 1944:
Departs Singapore and later that day arrives at Bintan.

27 September 1944:
Departs Bintan and later that day arrives at Singapore.

2 October 1944:
At 1700, TEIHOKU MARU departs Singapore for Moji in convoy HI-76 consisting of oilers NICHIEI, NICHINAN (5175 gt), RYOEI, SERIA, FUJISAN, KUROSHIO, TARAKAN and TOHO MARUs and ex-seaplane tender KIMIKAWA MARU escorted by escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan MANJU, KANJU, MIYAKE, KURAHASHI, CD-28 and torpedo boat HIYODORI.

8 October 1944:
South China Sea. At 0100, LtCdr Henry D. Sturr’s (USNA ’33) USS BECUNA (SS-319) attacks the convoy at 14-12N, 115-53E. Sturr fires four torpedoes and claims two hits on KIMIKAWA MARU. She is detached from the convoy and heads for Manila escorted by CD-28 and HIYODORI.

11 October 1944:
Arrives at Samah, Hainan Island.

16 October 1944:
Samah. TAMA-28 joins convoy HI-76. The new convoy consists of TEIHOKU MARU and oilers NICHIEI, NICHINAN (5175 gt), RYOEI, SERIA, FUJISAN (1944), KUROSHIO, TARAKAN and TOHO (1944) MARUs escorted by DAITO, escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan KANJU, MANJU, MIYAKE, KURAHASHI, CD-28 and torpedo boat HIYODORI. At 0745, the convoy, delayed because of an enemy task force near Formosa, departs port.

17 October 1944:
Early in the morning, MANJU and MIYAKE are detached with RYOEI MARU and head for Mako. Later that day, after news of increased enemy task force activity, the rest of the convoy turns back to Samah.

18 October 1944:
Off Samah. Kaibokan CD-25 and CD-32 join the escort of convoy HI-76. Tankers FUJISAN, NICHIEI and NICHINAN (5175 gt) MARUs are detached and remain at Samah. Tanker TENEI MARU joins the convoy. At 1730, convoy HI-76, now consisting of TEIHOKU, TOHO and KUROSHIO MARUs depart Samah for Mako, escorted by SHINYO, KANJU (F) and CD-32. (NB: both tankers are excluded from fleet replenishing operation because they have no equipment for refuelling warships). SHINYO continuously has several planes flying anti-sub and CAP patrols.

20 October 1944:
KURAHASHI and CD-25 are detached to escort NICHIEI MARU to Coron Bay.

22 October 1944:
At 1200, convoy HI-76, now consisting of TEIHOKU, KUROSHIO and TOHO MARUs and escorted by KANJU, CD-8 and CD-130 arrive off Mako. KUROSHIO and TOHO MARUs are detached from convoy HI-76. Both tankers are now guarded by kaibokan KASADO arriving from Takao after being detached from convoy MOMA-05 (NB: KASADO had arrived Takao with convoy MOMA-05, at 1600 on 21 October). Later that day, TEIHOKU MARU, now the final remaining ship from original convoy HI-76, continues to Moji, escorted by KANJU, CD-8, CD-130 and YASHIRO, the latter joining off Mako that day.

23 October 1944:
The convoy is possibly joined by ORYOKU MARU out that departed Keelung (Kirun) the previous day.

24 October 1944:
TEIHOKU MARU develops engine troubles. She drifts for a while, but finally recovers and continues to Moji. One of TENEI MARU's engines also breaks down. She falls behind, but later catches up.

25 October 1944:
At 1030, The convoy arrives off Sasebo. YASHIRO is detached and proceeds to Sasebo.

26 October 1944:
SHINYO is detached to Kure. At 1130, the convoy now consisting of TEIHOKU MARU, KANJU, CD-8 and CD-130 arrive off Mutsure-jima and later that day departs.

27 October 1944:
Arrives at Kobe.

31 October 1944:
Departs Kobe.

1 November 1944:
Arrives at Shimizu.

5 November 1944:
Departs Shimizu.

9 November 1944:
Arrives at Osaka.

10 November 1944:
Departs Osaka.

11 November 1944:
Arrives at Wakamatsu. Loads 7,041 tons of coal.

14 November 1944:
Departs Wakamatsu.

15 November 1944:
Arrives at Hirohata. Unloads 7,041 tons of coal.

19 November 1944:
Departs Hirohata.

20 November 1944:
Arrives at Kure. Embarks 1,109 passengers and loads 4,700 tons of materiel. [3]

23 November 1944:
Departs Kure.

24 November 1944:
Arrives at Moji. Embarks 101 passengers.

25 November 1944:
Departs Moji.

3 December 1944:
Arrives at Takao. Disembarks 44 passengers and embarks another 50 passengers.

5 December 1944:
Departs Takao in convoy TAMA-35 consisting of TEIHOKU, ARIMASAN, NISSHO, ORYOKU, and KAZUURA MARUs escorted by kaibokan DAITO, CD -1, CD-34 and CD-134.

11 December 1944:
Arrives at Manila. Unloads 4,700 tons of materiel and disembarks 1,216 men, most likely from either the IJA's 10th or 23rd Divisions, or both.

14 December 1944:
Departs Manila in a convoy consisting of TEIHOKU and ARIMASAN MARUs and possibly others with unknown escort.

19 December 1944:
Arrives at Takao. Embarks 1,695 passengers, including many civilians, and unloads 1,650 tons of cargo.

27 December 1944:
TEIHOKU MARU departs Takao for Singapore in convoy HI-85 consisting of tankers DAINAN, ENKEI, YAMAZAWA, ENGEN, ENCHO, DAIGYO, OESAN MARU, FUEI, OEI, SERIA, SHINGI and SHINYU MARUs escorted by kaibokan UKURU, DAITO, TSUSHIMA, CD-23, CD-27 and CD-51.

28 December 1944:
TEIHOKU and TSUSHIMA MARUs are detached from the convoy and make for Yulin, Hainan Island.

29 December 1944:
South China Sea. At 1725, minesweeper W-101 joins the escort of convoy HI-85.

30 December 1944:
Arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island. Embarks 175 passengers and unloads 270 tons of cargo.

31 December 1944:
Departs Yulin.

3 January 1945:
At 0730, convoy HI-85 departs Nha Trang. While proceeding south, near the east entrance of Hainan Straits, the convoy is attacked by a lone B-24 which approaches from astern in a glide with its motors cut. One bomb hits TEIHOKU MARU, the last ship in the west column. TEIHOKU MARU and escort TSUSHIMA are detached to Yulin, Hainan Island for repairs. While en route to Yulin, they are bombed again and TSUSHIMA is damaged by a near miss.

21 January 1945:
At 0300, TEIHOKU MARU departs Yulin for Moji convoy YUTA-15 consisting of AKISHIMA and KIBITSU MARUs escorted by kaibokan DAITO, TSUSHIMA, UKURU and CD-27.

23 January 1945:
At 0930, the convoy is attacked at 21-N, 111-E by a single B-24 with no damage. A message is intercepted from this B-24 reporting the exact position and composition of the convoy in plain language.

24 January 1945:
At 0130, a night attack is made by a four-engine plane on TSUSHIMA, the leading escort at 25-N and 119-E. A bomb drops close by, but no damage is sustained.

1 February 1945:
Arrives at Seito (Tsingtao).

2 February 1945:
Loads 685 tons of cargo.

6 February 1945:
Departs Seito (Tsingtao).

10 February 1945:
Arrives at Moji.

11 February 1945:
Arrives at Kobe. Disembarks all 1,870 passengers.

15 February 1945:
Departs Kobe and later that day arrives at Hirohata.

20 February 1945:
Departs Hirohata and later that day arrives at Kobe.

21 February 1945:
Departs Kobe.

23 February 1945:
Arrives at Tama. Enters dock at Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding's Tamano shipyard.

15 May 1945:

26 May 1945:
Completes repairs. Departs Tama.

3 June 1945:
Arrives at Moji.

11 August 1945:
Departs Chongjin, Korea for Maizuru with 3,000 tons of rice and munitions aboard. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Joseph B. Icenhower’s (USNA ’36) USS JALLAO (SS-368) torpedoes and sinks TEIHOKU MARU between Korea and Japan, north of Utsuryo Island, by 38-06N, 130-20E in 859 meters of water. She takes down 27 seamen including her captain. She is the last ex-French ship sunk in WW2.

Authors' Notes:
[1] Named after Pierre Louis Dreyfus (LD).

[2] Louis Dreyfus Armateurs was owned by French Jews and therefore banned by the Nazi-sympathizing anti-Semitic Vichy French.

[3] Between Nov '44 and May '45, TEIHOKU MARU was a Kaigun Haitosen (Transports allotted to IJN by Sempaku Uneikai). When TEIHOKU MARU travelled south, she was loaded with military goods and personnel when she went north; she was loaded with civilian/merchant goods and personnel. If not a joint operation, naval ships did not transport army units.

Thanks go to Gengoro S. Toda of Japan for info in Rev 2 concerning HI-85 and Kaigun Haitosen. Thanks also go to Erich Muethlthaler of Germany for info in Rev 6.

- Bob Hackett, Gilbert Casse and Peter Cundall.

Back to Axis Merchants in Japanese Service