Transport TEIFU MARU:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2009-2015 Bob Hackett, Gilbert Casse and Peter Cundall.

Revision 3

Le Havre, France. Laid down at the Forge et Chantiers et Ateliers de la Mediterranee shipyard as a 7,110 gross register ton mixed refrigerated cargo liner for Compagnie Française de Navigation à Vapeur Chargeurs Réunis (United Shippers).

Launched and named BOUGAINVILLE.

April 1914:

1914-1918: World War I:
Requisitioned by the Marine Nationale (French Navy) and armed.

In service on Chargeurs Réunis Far East routes between Antwerp-Haiphong and Hamburg-Shanghai. These routes are terminated by the Japanese occupation in World War II.

3 September 1939-World War II Begins:
After the German invasion of Poland, Britain and France declare war on Nazi Germany.

25 June 1940: Franco-German Armistice:
After the Armistice, BOUGAINVILLE becomes part of the Vichy fleet.

September 1940:
Vichy France grants Japan limited military occupation of Indochina.

17 May 1941:
BOUGAINVILLE arrives at Saigon.

8 June 1941:
Arrives at Diego Suarez.

29 July 1941:
Under the Franco-Japanese "common defence" agreement signed at Vichy by Deputy-Premier Admiral Darlan and Japanese Ambassador Kato, Indo-China is "integrated" in "common defence" and the Japanese are allowed to use Saigon as an advance base for operations in South-East Asia.

21 March 1942:
Departs Saigon for Yokohama with her French crew carrying a cargo of rice.

3 April 1942:
Arrives at Yokohama.

12 April 1942:
Yokohama. The Japanese Government requisitions BOUGAINVILLE under the Right of Angary. Chartered by Teikoku Senpaku Kaisha (Imperial Steamship Co.), wholly owned by the Japanese Government. Renamed TEIFU MARU. [1]

28 April 1942:
Yokohama. Operated by a Mitsui Line captain and crew and used as a cargo ship under civilian control.

12 August 1942:
At 1200 TEIFU MARU is attacked by USS POMPANO in 33-30N 135-52E. The escorting destroyer OBORO counterattacks and is allegedly damaged in response by USS POMPANO.

7 October 1942:
At 0645, TEIFU MARU departs Tokyo for Moji in an unescorted convoy consisting of HAGUE, IKOMA, TETSUYO and ROKUYO MARUs.

8 October 1942:
At 1015, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Robert H. Rice's (USNA ’27) USS DRUM (SS-228) attacks the convoy. Rice fires six torpedoes and gets two hits on HAGUE MARU transporting 4000-tons cargo of wheat, machines, steel, oil, automobiles and paper money for the Formosa bank. She breaks in two and, at 1035, sinks at 34-01N, 135-06E taking down five crewmen. Later, TEIFU MARU arrives safely at Moji.

26 October 1942:
At 1630 while en route from Yokohama via Moji to Saigon via Mako TEIFU MARU runs ashore at 23-33N 117-21E Fukien Province coastline, China.

28 October 1942:
At 0300 the ship is refloated by the combined efforts of the gunboat HASHIDATE and small merchantman KYOSEI MARU. The ship has strained her engines and proceeds to Hong Kong for repairs.

29 October 1942:

25 March 1943:
TEIFU MARU is at Saigon.

25 May 1943:
Convoy No. 394 departs Mako, Pescadores for St Jacques consisting of TEIFU, ATLANTIC and KONSAN MARUs without escort.

31 May 1943:
Arrives at St Jacques.

1 July 1943:
TEIFU MARU departs Takao in D convoy also consisting of HAVRE, SHINKYO, KONSAN, TAINAN, CHOJO, TAJIMA, SHONAN MARUs and one unidentified merchant ship escorted by the destroyer SANAE.

5 July 1943:
SHINKYO MARU is detached at Sakito.

6 July 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

28 September 1943:
At 1615, convoy No. 102 departs Mutsure for Takao consisting of TEIRITSU (ex-French LECONTE DE LISLE), SUEZ, BELGIUM, CHIYODA, MISAKI, TAIAN, FRANCE and YUBAE MARUs escorted by patrol boat PB-36.

29 September 1943:
At 1300, TEIFU and HAVRE MARUs depart Miike and later join convoy No. 102.

3 October 1943:
At 1925, arrives at Takao.

3 January 1944:
TEIFU MARU departs St Jacques in convoy No. 454 consisting of SHUNTEN, SUZAN (SUNGSHAN) MARUs and three unidentified merchant ships escorted by auxiliary gunboat KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARU.

8 January 1944:
Two unidentified ships are detached from the convoy for Hong Kong.

11 January 1944:
TEIFU and SHUNTEN MARUs both run aground at Taisha Shoal (East Pratas area), South China Sea. Both are later refloated, SHUNTEN MARU on 20th January, arriving Takao 28 January. It is unclear if TEIFU MARU proceeds to Takao after salvage.

13 January 1944:
The tanker SHONAN MARU arrives at the reef presumably to tranship fuel from the stricken vessels.

14 February 1944:
At 1000 after refloating TEIFU MARU together with KISHU MARU depart East Pratas Reef area, with TEIFU MARU presumably under tow. The minelayer MAESHIMA escorts the ships.

16 February 1944:
At 1000 due to arrive at Mako.

20 May 1944:
TEIFU MARU departs Moji in convoy MOTA-20 also consisting of KAIKO MARU (851 gt), TATEBE (KEMBU), HIDA, HAKUSHIKA, KOSHIN, TATSUHATO, HIBI, JUNPO, HOKUSHIN, MACASSAR, YAMAGIKU, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA) and HOSEN MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by the destroyer KURETAKE.

26 May 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

28 May 1944:
TEIFU MARU departs Takao in convoy TAMA-20 also consisting of KAIKO MARU (851 gt), TATEBE (KEMBU), HAKUSHIKA, HAKUBASAN, KOSHIN, TATSUHATO, HIBI, JUNPO, HOKUSHIN, MACASSAR, YAMAGIKU, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA) and HOSEN MARUs and five unidentified merchant ships escorted by the destroyer KURETAKE and kaibokan CD-11.

1 June 1944:
Arrives at Manila.

18 June 1944:
At 1307, TEIFU MARU departs Manila for Miri, Borneo in convoy MI-05 also consisting of cargo/transports ARIMASAN, HINAGA, NIPPO (ex-Swedish NINGPO), TATSUJU, SURAKARUTA, ROKKO, DAIZEN, MIIKESAN, NICHIYO, HIDA and SEIWA MARU, fleet oiler NOTORO, and tankers TACHIBANA, SAN DIEGO, BAIEI, KENZUI, ATAGO, JINEI, AYANAMI, CERAM, OEI and TOKUWA MARUs, YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2, and KYOEI MARU No. 8 escorted by kaibokan CD-14 and CD-18, torpedo boat SAGI, patrol boat PB-38, minesweeper W-17, minelayer MAESHIMA and auxiliary subchasers CHa-22 and CHa-95 and two unidentified warships.

23 June 1944:
At 1257, convoy MI-05 arrives at Miri.

25 June 1944:
At 1915, TEIFU MARU departs Miri for Singapore in convoy MISHI-03 also consisting of fleet oiler NOTORO and tankers SAN DIEGO, NICHIYO, HIDA, FUYUKAWA, AYANAMI, KYOEI No. 8, BAIEI, NIPPO (ex-Swedish NINGPO), DAIZEN, SEIWA, SURAKARUTA, HINAGA, MANILA, ARIMASAN, ROKKO, TATSUTAMA (ex-American SS ADMIRAL Y. S. WILLIAMS), TOA, KENZUI and JINEI MARUs escorted by kaibokan CD-18, torpedo boat SAGI, minesweeper W-17, subchaser CH-21 and auxiliary minesweepers CHOUN MARU No. 6 and TOSHI MARU No. 2.

28 June 1944:
South China Sea. Off Singapore. At 2100, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Reuben T. Whitaker’s (USNA ’34) USS FLASHER's (SS-249) radar picks up the convoy. Whitaker, operating in relatively shallow water (150 feet) decides to wait until after the moon sets to make a surface attack.

29 June 1944:
At 0117, two or three torpedoes hit NIPPO MARU, transporting 598 troops and 30 other passengers, and two or three torpedoes hit NOTORO. NIPPO MARU breaks in two and sinks by the bow. 10 crewmen, two passengers and 75 soldiers are KIA. NOTORO remains afloat, but goes dead in the water. The escorts begin blindly dropping depth charges. Whitaker, still on the surface, leaves the area on four engines.

30 June 1944:
At 1437, convoy MISHI-03 arrives at Singapore.

12 July 1944:
At 1100 departs Singapore in convoy SHIMI-06 also consisting of HAKUBASAN, HIDA, KENZUI, DAIZEN, TOYOFUKU MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships escorted by kaibokan YASHIRO and the destroyer ASAKAZE.

17 July 1944:
Arrives at Miri.

19 July 1944:

24 July 1944:
At 2030 arrives at Manila. TAKETSU (BUTSU) MARU detaches from convoy and KUROGANE, MYOGI and FRANCE MARUs likely join.

27 July 1944:
At 1100 departs Manila.

28 July 1944:
At 1040 HAKUBASAN MARU is torpedoed and sunk by USS CREVALLE in 16.28N 119.38E. Three of the crew are killed and the cargo of 7351 tons crude oil and 710 tons of rubber lost.

2 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao. MATSUMOTO and NICHINAN MARUs detach as well as escorts YASHIRO and ASAKAZE. SEIGA and HAKOZAKI MARUs join as well as minelayer MAESHIMA.

4 August 1944:
Departs Takao.

10 August 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

9 September 1944:
At 1200, TEIFU MARU departs Moji for Miri, Borneo in convoy MI-19 also consisting of cargo ships DAIBIN, ENOURA, MATSUURA, YULIN, HAKUROKU, ARISAN, TASMANIA, SHINSEI, DAIA, NIKKO and SHUNSHO MARUs, tankers EIHO, CHIHAYA, SAN DIEGO, IWAKUNI, DAIMEI, KENZUI and MITSU MARUs escorted by kaikoban SHONAN, ETOROFU, CD-6 and CD-16, torpedo boat SAGI and auxiliary gunboat CHOHAKUSAN MARU.

10 September 1944:
At 1212, LtCdr (later Cdr) Edward E. Shelby's (USNA ’33) USS SUNFISH (SS-281) torpedoed and sinks CHIHAYA MARU, carrying 413 troops, six daihatsu barges and 2 armored cars from the 2nd Company, 10th Tank Regiment, at 33-49N, 127-41E. Nine crewmen and 76 troops are KIA. The convoy immediately retires to Chinto (Chin Hajo Island) where it regroups. The escorts launch an unsuccessful attempt to find the submarine.

12 September 1944:
Convoy MI-19 departs Chinto.

17 September 1944:
MI-19 splits. SHUNSHO, NIKKO, MATSUURA, ENOURA and KENZUI MARUs head for Keelung escorted by kaikoban SHONAN.

18 September 1944:
Convoy MI-19 arrives at Takao. Undergoes reorganization.

1 October 1944:
At 1300, TEIFU MARU departs Takao for Manila in convoy TAMA-29 also consisting of EJIRI, TOKO, RYUEI, KOSHO and URADO MARUs and seven unidentified merchant ships, escorted by torpedo boat HIYODORI, kaibokan CD-6, CD-16 and CD-20, minesweepers W-38 and W-39 and subchaser CH-61 and auxiliary subchaser CHa 95, CHa 96.

3 October 1944:
At 1703, the convoy arrives at Camiguin Island. At 1910, TEIFU MARU escorted by minesweeper W-39 are detached for Aparri, northern Luzon. At 2357, they arrive at Aparri and begin unloading. They arrive back at Camiguin Island at 1935 the next day.

6 October 1944:
At 1900, the convoy departs Camiguin Island.

10 October 1944:
Near the Cape Rena Sea. At 1335, LtCdr Donald G. Baer’s (USNA ’37) USS LAPON (SS-260) torpedoes EJIRI MARU carrying 1589 troops and tanks of the 2nd Division, at 16-10N, 119-45E. Eight crewmen and 191 troops are KIA. Fires break out and become uncontrollable. Abandon Ship is ordered. Unmanned, at 1700, it runs aground on a reef and violent explosion occurs. At 1800, EJIRI MARU sinks. The escorts drop 28 depth-charges, but USS LAPON is not damaged.

12 October 1944:
At dawn, the convoy reaches the Manila Bay area, but the convoy commander is reluctant to enter because of the danger of air attack, so the convoy continues southward.

N of Calavite Strait. At 1410, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) William T. Kinsella (USNA ’34) USS RAY (SS-271) torpedoes and sinks TOKO MARU at 13.32N 128-2IE. 29 crewmen and& 120 passengers are KIA. The escorts drop 30 depth-charges, but RAY is not damaged.

13 October 1944:
The convoy arrives at Manila.

17 October 1944:
At 1820, TEIFU MARU departs Manila in the "Taihi" (Refugee) convoy also consisting of MANILA, EIMAN, DAIIKU, KENEI, DAIMEI, SHIRANESAN, ARABIA, SHINSEI and TAIKAI MARUs and NICHIYU MARU No. 2 and tanker KYOEI MARU No. 6 escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE, torpedo boat HIYODORI, subchaser CH-21 and auxiliary gunboats CHOUN and KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARUs.

18 October 1944:
At 0716, LtCdr (later Captain) Eric L. Barr's (USNA ’34) USS BLUEGILL (SS-242) torpedoes and damages ARABIA MARU at 14-4N, 119-52E. She is carrying 2,635 men of whom 1870 are from the the IJA's 49th Infantry Division with others from the 20th Infantry Division and 5th Division. At 1208, BLUEGILL again torpedoes ARABIA MARU. She sinks taking down 1,658 troops and 89 crewmen and gunners. At 2210, LtCdr Maurice W. Shea's (USNA ’37) USS RATON (SS-270) torpedoes and sinks SHIRANESAN (1,318 troops, 47 gunners and 63 crewmen KIA) and TAIKAI (101 crewmen, 37 gunners and 445 troops KIA) MARUs at 12-30N, 119-10E.

20 October 1944:
At 1220, arrives at Bacuit Bay, Palawan Island, Philippines.

21 October 1944:
At 0855, the convoy departs Bacuit Bay now consisting of TEIFU, MANILA, EIMAN, DAIIKU, KENEI, TAIMEI, SHINSEI MARUs and NICHIYU MARU No. 2 and tanker KYOEI MARU No. 6 escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE, auxiliary gunboat KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARU and torpedo boat HIYODORI.

22 October 1944:
Attacked by B-24 "Liberator" heavy bombers.

23 October 1944:
Attacked by B-24 bombers.

24 October 1944:
Arrives at Gaya Bay, north Borneo. Some ships separate at this point.

26 October 1944:
At 0635, departs Gaya Bay and at 1835 arrives at Labuan Island, Borneo.

27 October 1944:
At 1045, departs Labuan.

28 October 1944:
At 1650, arrives at Miri. Only TEIFU, MANILA, SHINSEI and KENEI MARUs and KYOEI MARU No. 6 are in the convoy at this point.

30 October 1944:
At 0600, TEIFU MARU departs Miri in convoy MISHI-12 also consisting of MANILA, SHINSEI, EIMAN and DAIIKU MARUs and NICHIYU MARU No. 2 and tankers SAN LUIS MARU and KYOEI MARU No. 6 and three unidentified ships escorted by patrol boat PB-104 and auxiliary gunboat KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARU.

3 November 1944:
At 1030, arrives at Singapore.

3 January 1945:
Departs Takao, Formosa for the Philippines carrying 3,500 tons of rice and maize and materiel.

21 January 1945:
Takao. Vice Admiral John S. McCain’s (USNA ’06) Task Force 38 carrier planes attack TEIFU MARU. Hit by two bombs, she sinks at 22-37N, 121-15E. Eight crewmen are KIA.

Authors' Note:
[1] Also known as TAIHU MARU.

- Bob Hackett, Gilbert Casse and Peter Cundall.

Back to Ex-French Transports in Japanese Service