(Tatekawa Maru prewar as a Kawasaki Kisen tanker)

Tabular Record of Movement

© 1998-2018 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall.
Revision 11

20 October 1934:
Kobe. Laid down by Kawasaki Heavy Industries shipyard as a 10,009-ton merchant tanker for Kawasaki Kisen K. K., Kobe.

20 April 1935:
Launched and named TATEKAWA MARU.

30 June 1935:

1 July 1935:
Departs Kobe for Oha (Okha), Sakhalin.

19 July 1935:
Departs Kobe for San Luis and returns to Yokohama.

Completes regular round trip voyages from Yokohama to Los Angeles, California.

25 July 1941:
Arrives at Shimotsu from San Pedro (Los Angeles), California.

20 December 1941:
Requisitioned by the IJN and registered to Kure Naval District. Departs Shimotsu for Kinoe, Kure, Mako, Tainouchi and Yokkaichi.

23 December 1941:
Departs Kure.

25 December 1941:
Arrives at Yokkaichi.

17 January 1942:
Departs Kure.

19 January 1942:
Arrives at Yokkaichi.

24 January 1942:
Departs Yokkaichi.

28 January 1942:
Arrives at Mako.

31 January 1942:
Departs Mako.

3 February 1942:
Arrives at Kure.

8 February 1942:
Departs Kure for Yokkaichi and Mako.

10 February 1942:
Arrives at Yokkaichi.

13 February 1942:
Departs Yokkaichi.

17 February 1942:
Arrives at Mako.

20 February 1942:
Departs Mako.

23 February 1942:
Arrives at Kure.

2 March 1942:
Departs Kure.

4 March 1942:
Arrives at Yokkaichi.

8 March 1942:
Departs Yokkaichi.

11 March 1942:
Arrives at Mako.

12 March 1942:
Departs Mako.

18 March 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

19 March 1942:
While at Singapore, refuels heavy cruiser MIKUMA.

28 March 1942:
Departs Singapore.

29 March 1942:
Arrives at Penang.

1 April 1942:
Departs Penang.

4 April 1942:
Arrives at Port Blair, Andaman Islands.

8 April 1942:
Departs Port Blair.

10 April 1942:
Arrives at Penang.

17 April 194:
2 Departs Penang.

19 April 1942:
Arrives At Singapore.

30 April 1942:
Arrives at Kure.

6 May 1942:
Departs Kure.

7 May 1942:
Arrives at Osaka. Docked at Osaka Tekkosho’s yard for engine repairs.

31 May 1942:
Departs Osaka and later that day arrives Kure.

3 June 1942:
Departs Kure and later that day arrives at nearby Hiro.

5 June 1942:
Departs south through the Bungo Straits, possibly on a training exercise.

7 June 1942:
Departs Hiro.

12 June 1942:
Arrives at Keelung (Kirun).

13 June 1942:
Departs Kirun.

14 June 1942:
Arrives at Mako.

16 June 1942:
Arrives at Takao.

19 June 1942:
Departs Takao.

26 June 1942:
Arrives at St Jacques.

28 June 1942:
Departs St Jacques in convoy No. 509 consisting only of TATEKAWA MARU without escort.

30 June 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

1 July 1942:
Departs Singapore.

2 July 1942:
Arrives at Palembang River mouth and later that day departs Moesi (Palembang) River mouth.

3 July 1942:
Arrives at Palembang.

8 July 1942:
Departs Palembang.

10 July 1942:
Arrives again off Palembang (Moesi) River mouth.

11 July 1942:
Departs Palembang River mouth.

12 July 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

18 July 1942:
Departs Singapore.

19 July 1942:
Arrives at Palembang River mouth.

20 July 1942:
Departs Palembang River mouth.

26 July 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

30 July 1942:
Departs Singapore.

7 August 1942: American Operation "Watchtower" - The Invasion of Guadalcanal, Solomons:
Rear Admiral (later Admiral) Richmond K. Turner's (former CO of ASTORIA (CA-34) Amphibious Task Force 62, covered by Vice Admiral (MOH '14/later Admiral) Frank J. Fletcher's (former CO of VERMONT, BB-20l) Task Force 61 and Rear Admiral (later Admiral) John S. McCain's (former CO of RANGER, CV-4) Task Force 63's land-based aircraft, lands Maj Gen (later Gen/MOH/Commandant) Alexander A. Vandegrift's 1st Marine Division on Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, Tanambogo and Guadalcanal opening the campaign to take the island.

8 August 1942:
Arrives at Marifu (near Kure), then steams to Hitose.

12 August 1942:
Departs Marifu and later that day arrives at Kure.

20 August 1942:
Departs Kure and arrives later that day at Kanokawa.

21 August 1942:
Departs Kanokawa and later that day arrives at Hitose.

22 August 1942:
Departs Hitose.

23 August 1942:
Departs south through the Bungo Straits.

30 August 1942:
Arrives at Truk. Refuels BatDiv 11's HIEI and KIRISHIMA that also arrive that day. Also refuels destroyer MAIKAZE.

1 September 1942:
Departs Truk.

12 September 1942:
Arrives at Palembang.

15 September 1942:
Departs Palembang.

16 September 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

23 September 1942:
Departs Singapore.

2 October 1942:
Transits the Bungo Straits. Later that day arrives at Marifu.

5 October 1942:
Departs Marifu.

6 October 1942:
Departs Tainouchi and later that same day arrives at Hitose.

7 October 1942:
Departs Hitose and later that day arrives at Yoshiura (near Kure).

9 October 1942:
Departs Yoshiura. Later that day arrives at Tokuyama.

15 October 1942:
Departs Tokuyama.

21 October 1942:
Arrives at Truk.

22 October 1942:
Departs Truk.

30 October 1942:
Arrives at Balikpapan.

2 November 1942:
Departs Balikpapan.

9 November 1942:
Arrives at Truk in a convoy with TOKYO MARU.

10 November 1942:
Departs Truk escorted by destroyer YUZUKI.

11 November 1942:
YUZUKI is detached.

22 November 1942:
Arrives at Surabaya.

26 November 1942:
Departs Surabaya.

28 November 1942:
Arrives at Balikpapan.

1 December 1942:
Departs Balikpapan.

5 December 1942:
Arrives at Miri.

9 December 1942:
Departs Miri.

20 December 1942:
Arrives at Marifu.

23 December 1942:
Departs Marifu and later that day arrives at Kure.

24 December 1942:
Departs Kure.

25 December 1942:
Joined by subchaser CH-39 off Mizunoko lighthouse and escorted south until 90 degrees off Toi Misaki.

3 January 1943:
Arrives Palembang.

5 January 1943:
Departs Palembang.

7 January 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

11 January 1943:
Departs Singapore.

21 January 1943:
Arrives at Genzan (Wonsan), Korea.

27 January 1943:
Departs Genzan.

4 February 1943:
Arrives at Palembang, Sumatra and loads 7,000 kilolitres (5,880-tons) of crude oil.

6 February 1943:
Departs Palembang.

8 February 1943:
Arrives at Singapore and loads a further 7,000 kilolitres crude oil.

11 February 1943:
Departs Singapore.

E 19 February 1943:
Escorted by an unknown warship from 90 degrees off Toi Misaki to Fukajima.

20 February 1943:
Arrives at Tokuyama.

24 February 1943 :
Departs Tokuyama.

25 February 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

26 February 1943:
Departs Kure.

6 March 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

15 March 1943:
Departs Singapore.

25 March 1943:
Arrives at Amagasaki.

29 March 1943:
Departs Amagasaki and later that day arrives at Kobe.

3 April 1943:
Departs Kobe.

7 April 1943:
Joined by minelayer YURIJIMA and escorted to Fukajima.

9 April 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

17 April 1943:
Departs Kure.

25 April 1943:
At 1200, arrives Palembang.

28 April 1943:
Departs Palembang.

30 April 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

3 May 1943:
Departs Singapore with transport KACHIDOKI MARU and possibly others.

12 May 1943:
At 1400, arrives at Tokuyama Fuel Depot. Off loads oil.

16 May 1943:
Departs Tokuyama.

17 May 1943:
Arrives at Hiro.

18 May 1943:
Departs Hiro.

20 May 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

25 May 1943:
Departs Yokosuka in convoy 7525B with an unknown ship alledgedly tanker AKATSUKI MARU. The convoy sails at 14 knots and is met en route by minelayer NIIZAKI.

26 May 1943:
Arrives at Kobe. Drydocked at Kawasaki's yard.

29 June 1943:
Undocked and departs Kobe later that day.

30 June 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

4 July 1943:
Departs Kure and later that day arrives at Kanokawa.

5 July 1943:
Departs Kanokawa.

6 July 1943:
Arrives at Tokuyama.

9 July 1943:
Departs Tokuyama.

19 July 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

23 July 1943:
At 1600, TATEKAWA MARU and cargo ship TARUSHIMA MARU depart Singapore in convoy HI-02 escorted by kaibokan SADO.

29 July 1943:
At 1020, arrives at Takao. The convoy is joined by three other ships.

30 July 1943:
At 1400, departs Takao.

3 August 1943:
At 1030, the convoy arrives at Moji.

4 August 1943:
Arrives at Shimotsu.

6 August 1943:
Departs Shimotsu.

7 August 1943:
At 1400, TATEKAWA, AKI, OTOWASAN and HAKUYO MARUs and one unidentified ship depart Moji in convoy HI-05 escorted by destroyer ASAKAZE.

9 August 1943:
At 1201, arrives at Koniya, Amami-Oshima.

10 August 1943:
At 1400, departs Koniya.

13 August 1943:
At 1000, arrives at Mako. ASAKAZE is detached and replaced by kaibokan MATSUWA.

19 August 1943:
At 1700, arrives at Singapore.

24 August 1943:
At 1400, departs Singapore in convoy HI-06 consisting of oilers TATEKAWA, OTOWASAN MARUs, Naval tanker ASHIZURI, transport KAGU MARU and an unidentified merchant ship escorted by MATSUWA.

1 September 1943:
Rerated from a General Oil Transport to Special Navy Tanker in the Kure Naval District.

3 September 1943:
At 0930, arrives at Moji then departs for Tokuyama.

9 September 1943:
Departs Tokuyama for Moji.

10 September 1943:
At 1600, departs Moji in convoy HI-09 also consisting of tanker NICHINAN MARU (5175 gt), cargo-passenger ship MIIKE MARU, Army landing craft depot ship AKITSU MARU and two unidentified ships likely tankers MIRI and OTOWASAN MARUs escorted by the kaibokan MATSUWA.

21 September 1943:
At 1830, the convoy arrives at St Jacques where it is dissolved.

22 September 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

28 September 1943:
At 1900, departs St Jacques in convoy HI-10 consisting of TATEKAWA and MIRI MARUs and probably OTOWASAN MARU and passenger ship ASAMA MARU with two unidentified merchant ships.

6 October 1943:
At 0900, the convoy is amalgamated with convoy MA-06, no details of which are known.

9 October 1943:
At 0730, arrives at Moji, then departs for Tokuyama. Arrives that same day.

12 October 1943:
Departs Tokuyama. Later that day, arrives at Moji.

14 October 1943:
Departs Moji and arrives back at Tokuyama later that day.

22 October 1943:
Departs Tokuyama. Later that day, arrives at Moji.

28 October 1943:
At 1607, departs Moji in convoy HI-17 consisting of ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, TATEKAWA, SAKITO and ASAMA MARU’s and landing craft depot ship AKITSU MARU escorted by destroyer FUYO and kaibokan ETOROFU and MATSUWA.

1 November 1943:

2 November 1943:
At 1500 departs Takao escorted by destroyer FUYO and kaibokan MATSUWA.

4 November 1943:
At 1900 arrives at Manila. AKITSU MARU and FUYO detach.

5 November 1943:
At 1430 departs Manila still in convoy. FUYO has rejoined as an escort.

6 November 1943:
At 1830 ETOROFU is detached from the convoy and begins a submarine hunt. 11 November 1943:
At 1000, arrives at Singapore.

15 November 1943 At 1300, departs Singapore in convoy HI-18 consisting of tankers ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, TATEKAWA MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyers FUYO (to Manila) and KURETAKE (from Manila).

23 November 1943:
At 1400, arrives at Manila.

24 November 1943:
At 1518, departs Manila.

28 November 1943:
At 0655, arrives Moji and later that day departs.

3 December 1943:
Arrives Tokuyama. Probably discharges fuel oil cargo. Departs later that day.

4 December 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

5 December 1943:
Departs Moji as the second echelon of convoy HI-23. The first echelon departed 1 December and consisted of oilers OMUROSAN, ICHIU and ASASHIO MARUs and two other ships escorted by NAMIKAZE.

The second echelon consists of oilers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA and BOKUEI MARUs, with SUNOSAKI, OSE (ex-Dutch GENOTA) and probably TAKASAKI, all escorted by OSE. Oiler RYUEI MARU and passenger cargo ships AKI and NOSHIRO MARUs are also in the convoy. [1]

10 December 1943:
Arrives Takao.

12 December 1943:
Departs Takao.

17 December 1943:
Arrives at Singapore. [2]

21 December 1943:
Departs Singapore for Moji via Takao in convoy SA-20 also consisting of tankers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA and OMUROSAN MARU escorted by torpedo boat KARI and kaibokan SHIMUSHU.

27 December 1943:
The convoy arrives at Takao. Both escorts are detached and destroyer SHIOKAZE takes over escort of the convoy.

28 December 1943:
The convoy departs Takao.

1 January 1944:
The convoy arrives at Moji.

7 January 1944:
Arrives at Kobe.

9 January 1944:
Departs Kobe.

10 January 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

11 January 1944:
At 0830, departs Moji in convoy HI-31 consisting of oilers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA, GENYO, OMUROSAN, KUROSHIO MARUS and passenger-cargo ship HOKUROKU MARU escorted by carrier CHITOSE and destroyers AMATSUKAZE and YUKIKAZE.

16 January 1944:
N of the Spratly Islands. AMATSUKAZE detects a submarine and closes the target, but is hit portside by one of four torpedoes fired by LtCdr Robert D. King's USS REDFIN (SS-272) at 14-40N, 113-50E. AMATSUKAZE loses her bow and 80 crewmen. Presumed sunk by the convoy, it proceeds onward. The destroyer is left adrift for eight days until discovered by a Japanese patrol plane. She is later towed to Saigon by the ASAGAO.

20 January 1944:
At 1645, the convoy arrives at Singapore.

25 January 1944:
At 0730, departs Singapore in convoy HI-32 consisting of oilers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA, GENYO, OMUROSAN, KUROSHIO MARUs and passenger-cargo ships KINUGASA and HOKUROKU MARUs escorted by carrier CHITOSE and destroyer YUKIKAZE.

E 28 January 1944:
Kaibokan MIYAKE joins the convoy from Manila.

1 February 1944:
A patrol plane from the CHITOSE spots a small drifting boat ahead of the convoy, about 60 nm east of Okinawa. MIYAKE is detached to investigate. When closing it becomes clear that the small boat is actually a landing barge with more than 100 survivors from the TARUSHIMA MARU 4865gt. MIYAKE takes over 54 survivors, followed by YUKIKAZE which takes over the remaining 57 survivors.

4 February 1944:
CHITOSE detaches and heads to Sasebo. At 1100, the convoy arrives at Moji. Later that day TATEKAWA MARU arrives at Tokuyama.

14 February 1944:
Departs Tokuyama and later that day arrives at Moji.

16 February 1944:
At 0600, departs Moji in convoy HI-45 consisting of oilers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, and KUROSHIO MARUs, Army transport ARIMASAN and IJA landing craft depot ship TAMATSU MARU and another unidentified ship escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE.

20 February 1944:
SHIOKAZE is detached from the convoy.

21 February 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU develops engine trouble, drops behind and diverts to Takao.

22 February 1944:
Kaibokan MIYAKE joins as escort.

23 February 1944:
TAMATSU MARU is detached from the convoy and heads for Manila. The SHIOKAZE rejoins as an escort.

27 February 1944:
At 1700, arrives at Singapore.

11 March 1944:
At 0730, convoy HI-48 departs Singapore consisting of oilers TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, SEIYO, NICHIEI and KUROSHIO MARUs, passenger-cargo ships AWA, SANUKI, TEIA (ex-French ARAMIS) and HOKUROKU MARUs and two unidentified ships escorted by kaibokans MIYAKE, SHIMUSHU, IKI and ETOROFU.

14 March 1944:
At 1700, arrives at Ban Phong Bay, French Indochina.

15 March 1944:
At 1100, departs Ban Phong Bay.

18 March 1944:
At 0114, HOKUROKU MARU is hit by four torpedoes fired by LtCdr Lowell T. Stone's USS LAPON (SS-260) and sinks at 19-24N, 116-50E. She blows up and sinks in about one minute taking down 80 crewmen and 248 passengers. TEIA MARU sends off a report of the attack. Later that day, KASHII MARU joins the convoy.

19 March 1944:
At 0600, kaibokan SHIMUSHU runs aground, but later that day is refloated. At 1600, the convoy arrives at Takao.

20 March 1944:
At 1300, departs Takao.

25 March 1944:
At 0500, arrives at Moji.

8 April 1944:
Arrives at Tokuyama.

26 March 1944:
Arrives at Kobe and departs that port later that day.

27 March 1944:
Arrives at Tokuyama.

29 March 1944:
Departs Tokuyama.

30 March 1944:
Arrives at Sasebo and enters dockyard for hull repairs.

2 May 1944:
Repairs are completed.

3 May 1944:
At 0445, departs Moji in convoy HI-61 consisting of empty oilers TATEKAWA, AZUSA, NICHIEI, JINEI, EIYO, AKANE, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and ASANAGI MARUs and perhaps HAYASUI, and passenger cargo ship MIZUHO MARU escorted by carrier TAIYO and destroyers HIBIKI and INAZUMA and kaibokans SADO, KURAHASHI, and CD-5, CD-7 and 13.

6 May 1944:
ASAGAO apparently joins the convoy.

7 May 1944:
JINEI MARU is detached because of engine trouble.

8 May 1944:
About 0615, at 19-19N, 120-00E, LtCdr Victor B. McCrae's USS HOE (SS-258) attacks the convoy. In a submerged attack, McCrae fires all his bow torpedoes and gets a single hit on AKANE MARU. She is detached from the convoy and returns to Takao, Formosa for repairs.

9 May 1944: Operation "A-GO" - The Defense of the Marianas.
At 2055, arrives at Luzon. TATEKAWA, AZUSA and NICHIEI MARUs are detached from the convoy to participate in the planned "A-GO" operation.

11 May 1944:
At 1625, departs Manila in an unnumbered convoy with TATEKAWA and NICHIEI MARUs escorted by HIBIKI and INAZUMA.

14 May 1944:
Tawi Tawi Bay. At about 0300, while patrolling on the surface, LtCdr Thomas W. Hogan’s USS BONEFISH (SS-223) intercepts a three-tanker convoy making fourteen knots and consisting of TATEKAWA, AZUSA and NICHIEI MARUs with three destroyer escorts. Hogan selects the largest oiler to receive his last six torpedoes.

An HIBIKI class destroyer passes close ahead of USS BONEFISH as the convoy zigs bringing the target oiler within 3,000 yards. Hogan fires his forward torpedo tubes. Five torpedoes get away, but tube No. 6 refuses to fire. The first Mark -14 torpedo explodes against the oiler's bow. The second explodes under her bridge and Hogan thinks the third blows off her stern. Hogan sees the oiler enveloped in smoke and flame and claims two hits and a sinking, but, in actuality, none of the oilers are damaged. Hogan probably saw the unreliable Mark 14's compressed air flasks exploding against the hull.

At 0420, the fourth torpedo explodes under destroyer INAZUMA that blows apart and sinks. The two remaining destroyers charge in and drop twenty heavy depth charges, but USS BONEFISH slips away.

15 May 1944:
Arrives at Balikpapan.

17 May 1944:
Departs Balikpapan in a convoy also consisting of tankers AZUSA and NICHIEI MARUs escorted by destroyers ASASHIMO, SAMIDARE, HAMAKAZE and HIBIKI and kaibokan MANJU. Soon after departure a magnetic mine damages tanker NICHIEI MARU but the tanker is able to continue.

19 May 1944:
The convoy is attacked by an enemy submarine, NICHIEI MARU drops depth charges. Later this day, at 1250, convoy arrives at Tawi Tawi.

23 May 1944:
At 0640, departs Tawi Tawi for Davao in a convoy consisting of TATEKAWA, KOKUYO, NICHIEI and SEIYO MARUs escorted by destroyers HIBIKI, AKISHIMO and HAMAKAZE.

24 May 1944:
Off Saranagani Islands, Mindinao. In the early afternoon, lookouts aboard LtCdr Charles H. Andrews' USS GURNARD (SS-254) sight a convoy they identify as consisting of two oilers, "two cargo ships" and three destroyers. Slipping past the escorts, Andrews fires four torpedoes at an oiler. At 1517, TATEKAWA MARU is hit by two torpedoes, the first in oil tank No. 6 and the second in the engine room. She is set ablaze. Ten of her armed guard gunners and 17 crewmen are killed. TATEKAWA MARU sinks at 05-45N, 125-43E.

GURNARD goes deep and escapes the escorts.

20 July 1944:
Removed from Navy List.

Authors' Notes:
[1] It is unclear from available Japanese records as to which echelon these latter ships were assigned.

[2] The first echelon stopped at St Jacques, Indochina en route but it is unclear from available Japanese records if the second echelon did likewise. A three day difference separated their arrival times at Singapore.

Thanks for assistance goes to Mr. Allan Alsleben of Oregon and to Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

- Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall.

Back to the Oilers Page