IJN T.103 Class Landing Ship Tank

By Bob Hackett

with Sander Kingsepp

(Landing Ship Tank by T. Yuki)

IJN LST T.111:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2014 Bob Hackett

Osaka. Laid down at Osaka Zosenjo. Allocated to the Imperial Army (IJA).

5 February 1944:
Numbered Army Ship No. SB-1.


5 September 1944:
Transferred to the Imperial Navy (IJN). Re-numbered T.111. and rerated a 2nd Class Yusokan. Lt Fujita Yoshinao is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

15 September 1944:
Completed and attached to the Kure Guard Office. Lt Fujita is the Commanding Officer.

25 September 1944:
Assigned to the First Transport Squadron, Combined Fleet. Attached to the Southwest Fleet.

21 October 1944:
Departs Sasebo for Keelung, Formosa carrying troops.

30 October 1944:
Departs Keelung for Takao, Formosa.

1 November 1944:
Arrives at Takao

2 November 1944:
At 1130, T. 111 departs Takao for Manila with LST's T. 140 and T. 160 in convoy TAMA-31A also consisting of seaplane tender KAGU MARU escorted by subchaser CH-21 and minesweeper W-20. The ships are part of an emergency transport run to Manila following the Battle for Leyte Island and are carrying 1,820 men including a naval construction unit from Kure, an anti-aircraft unit and a Special Naval Landing Force.

3 November 1944:
Near Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, Philippines. A temporary wolf pack is formed consisting of consisting of Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Wreford G. Chapple’s BREAM (SS-243), LtCdr William T. Kinsella’s RAY (SS-271), LtCdr Maurice W. Shea’s RATON (SS-270) and LtCdr (later Captain) Enrique D. Haskins’s GUITARRO (SS-363).

Bashi Channel. At 1627, T. 111 and convoy TAMA-31A evade four torpedoes probably fired by LtCdr Robert E. Ward's USS SAILFISH (SS-192). Minesweeper W-20 conducts an unsuccessful depth charge counter-attack. At 1800, the convoy arrives and shelters in Lapoc Bay, N of Vigan.

4 November 1944: At 0700, T. 111 and convoy TAMA-31A depart Lapoc Bay for Manila. During the day, subchaser CH-5 and auxiliary subchaser KEISHU MARU join TAMA-31A's escort. At 1627, LtCdr Shea's RATON attacks the convoy and fires six torpedoes at KAGU MARU, but they all miss. The convoy’s escorts and air cover counter-attack without effect. Later that day, Cdr Chapple’s BREAM fires four torpedoes at KAGU MARU and gets one hit.

10.5 miles NW of Cape Bolinao, Lingayen Gulf. That evening, GUITARRO attacks KAGU MARU. At 1748 (JST), KAGU MARU’s lookouts spot six torpedoes approaching from astern. She attempts to evade, but more incoming torpedoes are sighted off her starboard bow. One of a spread of eight torpedoes hits her amidships. A fire starts in the engine room. After GUITARRO's attack, RAY fires two torpedoes and blows off KAGU MARU’s bow. At 2010, KAGU MARU sinks at 15-54N, 119-45E. 22 passengers and 24 sailors are killed. Credit for the sinking is divided among the wolfpack’s submarines.

5 November 1944:
Convoy TAMA-31A undergoes an air attack. T.111 engages in surface-to-air combat. Later, T.111 arrives at Olongapo, Subic Bay and departs.

6 November 1944:
T.111 arrives at Sarangani Bay, Mindanao, then departs for Santa Cruz, Mindanao.

23 November 1944: Operation "TA No. 5" - The Reinforcement of Leyte:
T. 111 departs Manila with LST's T-141 and T-160 in the first echelon of convoy TA No. 5 escorted by subchaser CH-46.

24 November 1944:
Masbate Island. In the early morning, convoy TA No. 5 arrives at Port Cataingan and takes shelter. Shortly after noon, USAAF 13th Air Force P-40 "Warhawks" and P-47 "Thunderbolts" fighter-bombers attack and set T. 111, T-141 and T-160 and their cargos on fire. T.111 sinks at 11-58N, 123-59E as do T.141 and T.160. CH-46 rescues the survivors and heads towards Manila.

10 January 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

-Bob Hackett

Back to T.103 Class Landing Ship Tank Page