Tabular Record of Movement

© 2011-2016 Gilbert Casse, Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Revision 2

25 February 1932:
Uraga. Laid down by Uraga Senkyo K.K. Kojo shipyard as a 2,670-ton cargo ship for Chosen Yusen K.K., Jinsen.

24 November 1932:
Launched and named SHINKYO MARU. [1]

11 April 1933:
Completed. Her registered port is Jinsen, Chosen (now Korea). Her gross registered tonnage and net registered tonnage respectively are 2,670-tons and 1,554-tons.

E 1933:
Calls at Hanshin region (Osaka – Kobe area) ~ Busan (Fusan), Chosen (now Pusan, Korea) ~ various northern Chosen ports ~ Vladivostok, U.S.S.R.

April 1935:
Departs Niigata, Honshu and calls at northern Chosen east coast’s various ports.

E 1935:
Her gross registered tonnage and net registered tonnage are changed respectively to 2,672-tons and 1,553-tons.

E 1936:
Calls at Hanshin region ~ Busan ~ northern Chosen east coast’s various ports ~ Vladivostok.

24 September 1940:
Requisitioned by the IJN as a transport (Ippan Choyosen). [2]

15 October 1940:
Registered in the IJN under internal order No. 716 and attached to the Sasebo Naval District as an auxiliary gunboat. Her home port is Sasebo.

15 November 1940:
Rerated under internal order No. 830 as a special auxiliary gunboat and attached to First Fleet.

27 December 1940:
The conversion is completed. SHINKYO MARU is fitted with three 12cm/45Cal 3rd Year Type guns. [3]

15 January 1941:
Assigned to minelaying operations as a under internal order No. 56.

23 March 1941:
Departs Tokuyama, Yamaguchi Prefecture.

E March-April 1941:
Operates in Korea waters.

4 April 1941:
Arrives at Karatsu, Saga Prefecture, Kyushu.

9 May 1941:
Reserve Lt. (later Cdr) Maniwa Kennanji is posted CO.

10 June 1941:
Departs Sasebo.

E June-July 1941:
Operates in southern China waters.

8 July 1941:
Arrives at Mako, Pescadores. Transfers later to Takao, Formosa (now Kaohsiung, Taiwan).

12 July 1941:
Departs Takao.

E July-August 1941:
Operates in southern China waters.

5 September 1941:
An unknown officer assumes command.

7 September 1941:
Arrives at Sasebo.

15 October 1941:
Attached to the 3rd Naval District, Sasebo Guard Force in Rear Admiral Tashiro Sohei’s (41) (ex CO of SHOGEI) Sasebo Local Defense Squadron also consisting of auxiliary patrol boat SHINKO MARU No. 5. Lt (later Cdr) Yamazaki Kidaichi (45) (former CO of auxiliary gunboat KONGOSAN MARU) is appointed CO.

18 April 1942:
Arrives at Seso, Kakeroma Island, S Amami-Oshima.

15 May 1942:
Departs Seso.

16 May 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

21 May 1942:
Departs Seso. Returns back later that same day.

25 May 1942:
Departs Seso.

27 May 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

31 May 1942:
Departs Seso.

18 June 1942:
Arrives at Sasebo.

17 July 1942:
Departs Oshima Island arriving later that same day at Sasebo.

18 July 1942:
Departs Sasebo for Seso.

20 July 1942:
Arrives at Seso. Unloads 829 gun ammunition and 300 rifle bullets.

24 July 1942:
Departs Seso for Ishigaki-Jima, Yaeyama Retto, NE Formosa.

26 July 1942:
Arrives at Ishigaki-Jima. Departs later that same day for Iriomote, Yaeyama Retto.

27 July 1942:
Arrives at Iriomote. Calls at Ishigaki and transfers back at Iriomote, arriving at Funauki Port later that same day.

29 July 1942:
Departs Funauki arriving that day at Yonakuni Island, Yaeyama Retto. Departs later for Miyako, Miyako Retto.

30 July 1942:
Arrives at Miyako. Departs later that day for Naha, Okinawa.

31 July 1942:
Arrives at Naha.

3 August 1942:
Departs Naha for Seso.

4 August 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

6 August 1942:
Undergoes repairs and cleaning to her No. 2 tank nozzle.

14 August 1942:
Departs Seso.

15-16 August 1942:
Conducts random antisubmarine patrol.

17 August 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

22-23 August 1942:
Loads raw food.

25 August 1942:
Departs Seso, conducts random antisubmarine patrol and arrives back at Seso. Loads again raw food. Undergoes repairs to her water pumps fans axle (‘til 26 Aug).

28 August 1942:
Loads raw food.

6 September 1942:
Departs Seso. Calls at Sasebo and arrives back at Seso later that day.

7 September 1942:
Departs Seso.

E 8-9 September 1942:
Conducts random antisubmarine patrol.

10 September 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

17 September 1942:
Undergoes repairs to her ballast lifts sliding valve lid and sliding valve frame.

21 September 1942:
Undergoes repairs to her oil pipe cooling generator.

23 September 1942:
Departs Seso.

26 September 1942:
Arrives at Ishigaki. Departs later that day for Funauki.

27 September 1942:
Arrives at Funauki.

E October 1942:
Departs Funauki and conducts random antisubmarine patrol.

4 October 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

7 October 1942:
Departs Seso, proceeds to gunfire trials and arrives back at Seso later that same day.

9 October 1942:
Departs Seso, proceeds to gunfire trials and arrives back at Seso later that same day.

22 October 1942:
Departs Seso with auxiliary gunboat NISSHO MARU No. 2 and arrives at Naze, Amami Oshima, later that same day.

23 October 1942:
Departs Naze and arrives at Seso later that day.

27 October 1942:
Departs Seso for some training exercises in various whereabouts.

29 October 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

31 October 1942:
Replenishes 10-tons of fresh water.

5 November 1942:
Undergoes repairs to broken seals in the main mechanical pressure cylinder packing boxes.

18 November 1942:
Departs Seso and comes back later that same day.

20 November 1942:
Departs Seso for Sasebo.

22 November 1942:
Arrives at Sasebo.

E 23-27 November 1942:
Loads 110-tons of cargo and embarks 55 troops.

28 November 1942:
Departs Sasebo for Seso.

29 November 1942:
Arrives at Seso.

30 November 1942:
Proceeds to unloading operations.

1 December 1942:
Departs Seso for Sasebo.

3 December 1942:
Arrives at Sasebo.

18 December 1942: Operation C (HEI-GO) - The Reinforcement of New Guinea:
Assigned to a transport mission under Combined Fleet secret instruction No. 178. The objective of this transport operation is to rush the 20th and 41st Army Division to Wewak. The operation consists of three separate operations, two of them divided into sub echelons sailing at different dates: The first operation HEI-ICHI GO (HEI-GO 1) is to land the main strength of the 20th Army Division consisting of 9,443 men, 82 vehicles, arms and 12,267 bundles of provisions at Wewak. The third operation is to land the main strength of the 41st Army Division consisting of 13,657 men, 123 vehicles and 95, 617 bundles of supplies and provisions at Wewak. [5]

19 December 1942:
Departs Sasebo for Seso.

20 December 1942:
Arrives at Seso. Proceeds to unloading operations.

23 December 1942:
Departs Seso.

28 December 1942:
Arrives at Kawasaki in East Convoy No. 59 also consisting of MISHIMA, ISSEI, WOOSUNG and DAISHIN MARUs escorted in the latter stages by hydrographic survey ship KOMAHASHI.

5 January 1943:
Arrives at Busan. Loads 399 troops of the 20th Army division assigned to the first operation HEI-ICHI GO (HEI-1) and 300 bundles of supplies.

7 January 1943:
Departs Busan for Wewak, New Guinea with transport group “HINOE-GO No. 1” in the 3rd transport echelon also consisting of JUSAN MARU escorted by destroyer YUGURE.

15 January 1943:
At 1000, the 3rd transport echelon arrives at Palau, Carolines.

19 January 1943:
At 0800, SHINKYO MARU departs Palau for Wewak in the 3rd transport echelon also consisting of ARATAMA and JUSAN MARUs escorted by destroyer YUGURE.

23 January 1943:
At 0200, the convoy arrives at Wewak and unloading operations are proceeded. At 1100, the convoy departs Wewak for Palau.

26 January 1943:
The convoy arrives at Palau. Departs later for Seito (Tsingtao), China in the same convoy arriving there at an unknown date.

E February 1943:
Loading operations of 41st Army Division troops, vehicles, supplies and provisions are proceeded.

10 February 1943:
Departs Seito escorted by destroyer YUGURE.

21 February 1943:
Arrives at Palau.

22 February 1943:
At 1300, departs Palau in the 4th transport echelon convoy also consisting of JUSAN and ARATAMA MARUs escorted by destroyer YUGURE.

26 February 1943:
At 1200, after a submarine alert, in which a Nakajima B5-N Kate drops bombs on a shadow in the water, the convoy arrives at Wewak, discharges troops and cargo. At 2330 the same day, departs Wewak back to Palau.

E March 1943:
Arrives at Palau. Departs later for Sasebo.

15 March 1943:
SHINKYO MARU is attached to the 5th Fleet, 22nd Picket Boat Squadron also consisting of AKAGI, AWATA, ASAKA, SHOKO and KAMITSU MARUs.

17 March 1943:
Arrives at Sasebo. Probably undergoes maintenance and repairs.

E April 1943:
Assigned to patrol E of Japan’s mainland.

21 April 1943:
At 0900 departs Sasebo for Yokosuka.

24 April 1943:
At 1000 arrives at Yokosuka.

3 May 1943:
Reserve LtCdr Hiroe Shinichiro is appointed CO. Lt Yamazaki is later posted CO of auxiliary gunboat MAGANE MARU.

15 May 1943:
At 1425 departs Yokosuka.

23 May 1943:
At 2300 arrives at Kushiro, Hokkaido.

24 May 1943:
At 1500 departs Kushiro for Paramushiro, Kuriles.

29 May 1943:
At 0720 arrives at Paramushiro.

18 June 1943:
At 0800 departs Paramushiro.

24 June 1943:
At 0800 arrives at Yokosuka.

2 July 1943:
Departs Yokosuka.

4-13 July 1943:
Operates in patrol area.

14 July 1943:
Departs patrol area.

17 July 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka. Departs later and arrives at Ominato, Aomori Prefecture at an unknown date.

5 August 1943:
Departs Ominato.

E August 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

9 August 1943:
Departs Yokosuka.

25 August 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

15 September 1943:
Departs Yokosuka.

7 October 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

23 October 1943:
Departs Yokohsuka.

11 November 1943:
Arrives at Yokohama.

19 November 1943:
Yokohama. Docks at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries K.K. shipyard for a refit and military conversion.

1 December 1943:
Removed from the Navy List under internal order No. 2562. That same day SHINKYO MARU is re-registered under internal order No. 2763 and attached to the Sasebo Naval District.

4 December 1943:
Attached to the Sasebo Naval District as an auxiliary transport (Otsu) category. Her home port is Sasebo. [4]

31 January 1944:
The conversion is completed. Transfers to Tokyo.

3 February 1944:
Departs Tokyo.

9 February 1944:
Arrives at Kure.

13 February 1944:
Departs Kure for Moji.

14 February 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

16 February 1944:
Departs Moji in convoy MOTA-03 also consisting of six unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyer NAMIKAZE and auxiliary minesweeper TAIAN MARU.

21 February 1944:
Convoy MOTA-05 is attacked by US Submarines and later aircraft. As a result MOTA-03 is ordered to remain at Naha and await MOTA-05.

27 February 1944:
The two convoys merge and depart from Naha. MOTA-05 at this point consists of SHONAN, NICHIREI MARUs and tanker TEIKON MARU and one unidentified merchant ship escorted by kaibokan IKI.

29 February 1944:
Arrives at Kirun.

5 March 1944:
In the early morning departs Kirun and later that day arrives at Takao.

11 March 1944:
Departs Takao for Manila, Luzon, Philippines in convoy TAMA-10 also consisting of tanker SAN PEDRO MARU and passenger/cargo ANSHU, MITO, KURAMASAN, ATLAS MARUs and BANSHU MARU No. 32 escorted by auxiliary subchasers CHa-45, CHa-55, CHa-70, HINODE MARU and MISAGO MARU No. 2.

14 March 1944:
Arrives at Manila.

20 March 1944:
At 0630, departs Manila for Kau Bay, Halmahera Island, Moluccas in convoy H-22 also consisting of KUNIKAWA, ANSHU, ATLAS, TOYOOKA, BENGAL, KURAMASAN and MITO MARUs, escorted by torpedo boat HAYABUSA and minesweeper W-30.

23 March 1944:
Zamboanga Sea. At about 1530, auxiliary subchaser KYO MARU No. 12 joins the escort and W-30 is detached.

24 March 1944:
At 1430, as planned KUNIKAWA MARU is detached from the convoy and proceeds independently to Balikpapan Bay, Borneo arriving later that day.

About 28 nms E of Cape Chinaka, SE Mindanao, Philippines. LtCdr (later Cdr) Walter T. Griffith’s (USNA’34) USS BOWFIN (SS-287) makes radar contact with the convoy. At 2348, Griffith’s first salvo scores two hits on BENGAL MARU at 05-38N, 125-58E. In addition to her 54 crewmen, the transport is carrying 262 soldiers, 150 Formosans attached to a military labor unit and 54 other passengers. BENGAL MARU sinks rapidly taking down with her 41 crewmen, four gunners and 161 passengers.

At 2353, Griffith torpedoes and hits SHINKYO MARU at 05-37N, 125-58E. Awash from stern to bridge, SHINKYO MARU sinks in three minutes taking down with her 12 crewmen and 49 passengers.

15 May 1944:
Removed from the Navy List under internal order No. 654.

Authors Notes:
[1] Not to be confused with IJA transport (5204 GRT, ’18)
[2] See Zatsuyosen home page for full explanation.
[3] Additionally, SHINKYO MARU was fitted with two single 13mm Type 93 MGs, one 7.7mm single MG, 13 rifles, six pistols and two depth-Charge stern racks with storage for 32 Type 95 DCs.
[4] There were two categories of Zatsuyosen. (Ko) category with an IJN Captain as supervisor aboard and (Otsu) category without.
[5] The second of the three planned movements, Operation HEI-NI-GO (Hei-2), the transport of the 208th Air Group was cancelled.

Thanks go to Gengoro S. Toda of Japan. Thanks also go to Matthew Jones of Mississippi for IJN COs' info.

Photo credit and special thanks go to Erich Muehlthaler of Germany for his assistance concerning Operation C (HEI-GO).

-Gilbert Casse, Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Back to IJN Transports Page