(Sister MARKLYN, prewar)

Tabular Record of Movement

© 2013-2017 Bob Hackett

E 1917:
Newcastle-on-Tyne, England. Laid down at Tyne Iron Shipbuilding, Ltd. as Yard No. 213, a 3,112 ton British WW1 Type C standard cargo ship for the Shipping Controller, London.

Launched and named WAR BEACH.

August 1918:
Completed. Managed by Gibbs & Co, London.

Sold to Reindeer SS Co. Ltd. London. Renamed REINDEER.

Sold to Sun Shipping Co. Ltd. London. Renamed SUNWOOD.

Sold to Utsunomiya Kaisoten K.K., Takasogo. Renamed SATSUMA MARU.


17 October 1941:
Requisitioned by the Imperial Army (IJA) to serve as a troop transport. Allotted Army No. 752.

18 December 1941: The Invasion of the Northern Philippines:
At 1200, SATSUMA MARU departs Mako, Pescadores for Lingayen Gulf, Philippines in Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Rear Admiral Nishimura Shoji's (39)(former CO of HARUNA) 2nd Lingayen Invasion Unit with 27 other IJA transports escorted by DesRon 2's light cruiser NAKA, DesDiv 9's ASAGUMO, MINEGUMO, NATSUGUMO, minesweepers W-9, W-10, W-11, W-12, W-17 and W-18 and subchasers CH-4, CH-5, CH-6, CH-10, CH-11, CH-12, CH-16 , CH-17 and CH-18.

The Japanese main invasion at Lingayen Gulf consists of three transport echelons. The first is composed of 27 transports from Takao under Rear Admiral Hara Kensaburo, the second of 28 transports under Rear Admiral Nishimura and the third of 21 transports from Keelung under Rear Admiral Hirose Sueto. This force of 76 transports carries the main part of LtGen Homma Masaharu's 80,000-man 14th Army.

24 December 1941:
SATSUMA MARU and Rear Admiral Nishimura's 2nd Lingayen Invasion Unit arrive at Lingayen Gulf between 0110 and 0430. At 0530, LtGen Dobashi's 2nd Lingayen Invasion Unit begins landing troops.

11 June 1942:
SATSUMA MARU departs Ujina in convoy No. 123 also consisting of transports CHOWA, COLUMBIA, RYUSEI, TOEI and TOYO MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by auxiliary gunboat PEKING MARU.

15 June 1942:
At an unknown point, TOEI MARU is detached.

5 March 1943:
SATSUMA MARU departs Saeki in Military Movement No. 8’s convoy “F2” also consisting of KIYO MARU and YOSHIDA MARU No. 3 escorted by minelayer NASAMI and patrol boat PB-46.

E 7 March 1943:
The escorts are detached at 28-30N.

30 April 1943:

20 May 1943:
SATSUMA MARU departs Palau in convoy No. 3208 also consisting of KASHU, NANKO and TEIKAI (ex-German FULDA) MARUs and two unidentified merchants.

25 May 1943:
Arrives at Manila.

8 June 1943:
SATSUMA MARU departs Takao in convoy No. 270 also consisting of KEMBU, SUEZ and TATSUNO MARUs and four unidentified merchants escorted by kaibokan SADO.

13 June 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

21 July 1943:
At 0750,

28 July 1943:
At 1500, SATSUMA MARU departs Sijiao Island (Ssu Chiao Shan), E of Shanghai for Takao in convoy Shi-106 also consisting of HORAI, JUNYO, TOYOURA, SATSUMA and TOYAMA MARUs and KOTO MARU No. 2 GO escorted by minelayer HIRASHIMA.

30 July 1943:
At 1900, arrives at Takao.

12 December 1943:
At 0800, convoy 4205A departs Saipan consisting of submarine tender YASUKUNI MARU and fleet supply ship IRAKO escorted by kaibokan HIRADO and MIKURA MARUs. SATSUMA MARU joins the convoy.

20 December 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

11 February 1944:
Off Wenchow, China. SATSUMA MARU is attacked and damaged by Chinese Air Force North American B-25 “Mitchell” medium bombers. At 1250, LtCdr W. S. Post, Jr’s USS GUDGEON (SS 211) torpedoes and finishes off SATSUMA MARU at 28-01N, 121-30E. Four crewmen are KIA.

Destroyer TSUGA and auxiliary gunboat SHINKO MARU No. 1 GO depart Taichow Liehtao in response to a distress call from SATSUMA MARU, but arrive too late. Instead, they rescue the survivors.

Author's Note:
Thanks to Erich Muehlthaler of Germany.

Bob Hackett

Back to IJA Transports