(RO-63 - Scanned from "Submarines of World War II" by E. Bagnasco)

IJN Submarine RO-63:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2001-2014 Bob Hackett & Sander Kingsepp:
Revision 3

2 April 1923:
Kobe. Laid down Mitsubishi Shipbuilding asSubmarine No. 48, a 990-ton L4 submarine.

24 January 1924:

20 October 1924:
LtCdr (later Vice Admiral) Hiraoka Kumeichi (39)(former CO of RO-60) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

1 November 1924:
Renumbered RO-63.

20 December 1924:
Mitsubishi Kobe Yard. RO-63 is completed and registered in the IJN. Attached to Maizuru Naval District. Assigned to SubDiv 33. LtCdr Hiraoka Kumeichi is the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1925:
LtCdr (later Captain) Kosokabe Yuzuru (38) is appointed CO.

An an unknown date, LtCdr Kosokabe is posted Chief Equipping Officer of I-22 as an additional duty.

15 January 1928:
LtCdr (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Ito Jotaro (42) is appointed CO. LtCdr Kosokabe assumes full-time command of I-22.

10 March 1929:
Placed in reserve at Maizuru.

29 June 1929:
Lt (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Nakaoka Nobuki (45) (former CO of RO-26) is appointed CO.

13 November 1929:
Off Sasebo. After conducting diving exercises in company of RO-64, RO-63, returning to Sasebo, collides with the small motor vessel SEGAWA MARU and receives minor damage to her starboard bow.

30 November 1929:
Lt Nakaoka is relieved of command and replaced by LtCdr (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Otake Toshio (45)(former CO of RO-65).

1 December 1931:
Lt (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Shimizu Taro (48) (former Torpedo Officer, I-58) is appointed CO.

1 December 1932:
LtCdr Shimizu assumes joint command of RO-64.

20 March 1934:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral, posthumously) Yamada Takashi (49) (former CO of RO-29/-30/-32) is appointed CO.

28 February 1935-15 February 1936:
Placed in reserve at Maizuru.

15 February 1936:
LtCdr (later Captain) Yamada Kaoru (50) is appointed CO.

20 March 1937:
LtCdr (later Cdr) Inaba Michimune (51) is is appointed CO.

31 July 1937:
LtCdr (later Captain) Yokota Minoru (51) (former CO of I-22) is appointed CO.

15 November 1937:
LtCdr (later Captain, posthumously) Hanabusa Hiroshi (51) (former CO of RO-64) is appointed CO.

19 March 1938:
LtCdr Inaba is posted CO for a second time.

15 December 1938:
LtCdr (later Cdr, posthumously) Yajima Yasuo (51) is appointed CO.

20 March 1939-27 July 1939:
Lt (later Cdr, posthumously) Taoka Kiyoshi (55) serves as CO of both RO-63 and RO-66.

1 September 1939:
LtCdr (later Captain) Tagami Meiji (51) (former CO of RO-68) is appointed CO.

20 November 1939:
LtCdr (Captain, posthumously) Ohira Masajiro (52) is appointed CO.

20 March 1940:
Lt (Cdr, posthumously) Izutsu Monshiro (57) is appointed CO.

15 October 1940:
LtCdr (later Cdr) Kusaka Toshio (53) (former CO of I-121) is appointed CO.

2 December 1941:
The coded signal "Niitakayama nobore (Climb Mt. Niitaka) 1208" is received from the Combined Fleet. It signifies that hostilities will commence on 8 December (Japan time). Mt. Niitaka, located in Formosa (now Taiwan), is then the highest point in the Japanese Empire.

8 December 1941:
RO-63 is in Rear Admiral Onishi Shinzo's (42) SubRon 7 with Captain Nagai Takeo's (47) SubDiv 33 in Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Inoue Shigeyoshi's (37)(former CO of HIEI) Fourth Fleet with RO-64 and RO-68. LtCdr Kusaka Toshio is the CO.

Departs Kwajalein for Howland Island.

12 December 1941:
Arrives within 85 miles NW of Howland. LtCdr Kusaka sights an enemy aircraft.

14 to 15 December 1941:
Reconnoiters Howland.

19 December 1941:
Returns to Kwajalein.

7 January 1942:
Departs Kwajalein for Truk.

11 January 1942:
Arrives at Truk.

15 January 1942:
Departs Truk with RO-64 and RO-68 to reconnoiter Rabaul, New Britain. Patrols S of Cape St. George.

29 January 1942:
Returns to Truk.

10 February 1942:
LtCdr (later Cdr, posthumously) Nagai Katsuhiko (57)(former CO of RO-57) is appointed CO.

18 February 1942:
Departs Truk for the Marshalls area in company of RO-64 and RO-68.

23 February 1942:
Arrives at Ponape.

24 February 1942:
Departs Ponape in company of RO-64 and RO-68 for the Marshalls area.

27 February 1942:
Soon after departure her horizontal rudder is rendered inoperable. RO-63 heads for Bikini for repairs.

1 March 1942:
Departs after makeshift repairs but the jury-rigged rudder breaks up again. Returns to Bikini.

2 March 1942:
Departs Bikini for Ponape.

5 March 1942:
Arrives at Ponape.

7 March 1942:
Departs Ponape for Truk.

9 March 1942:
Arrives at Truk.

19 March 1942:
Departs Truk for Saipan.

22 March 1942:
Arrives at Saipan.

26 March 1942:
Departs Saipan for Maizuru.

3 April 1942:
Arrives at Maizuru.Undergoes repairs.

5 June 1942:
Departs Maizuru for Saipan.

13 June 1942:
Arrives at Saipan, departs for Truk thereafter.

27 June 1942:
Departs Truk for Yokosuka.

4 July 1942:
Arrives at Yokosuka.

14 July ´42:
SubDiv 33 is transferred to the Fifth Fleet.

24 July 1942:
At 1600, departs Yokosuka for Paramushiro in company of RO-64 and RO-68.

29 July 1942:
Arrives at Paramushiro.

31 July 1942:
Departs Paramushiro for Kiska with RO-68.

4 August 1942:
Arrives at Kiska. RO-63 is in Cdr (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Kato Ryonosuke's (48) SubDiv 33 with I-6, RO-61, RO-62, RO-64, RO-65, RO-67 and RO-68.

8 to 10 August 1942:
RO-63, RO-61, RO-64 and RO-68 sortie to intercept TG 8.6 but fail to make contact.

11 to 13 August 1942:
Conducts a search for the crew of a ditched reconnaissance plane.

17 to 20 August 1942:
Patrols off Aleutians, then returns to Kiska.

28 to 30 August 1942:
Patrols off Aleutians, then returns to Kiska.

3 to 5 September 1942:
Patrols off Aleutians, then returns to Kiska.

6 to 11 September 1942:
Patrols off Aleutians, then returns to Kiska.

14 September 1942:
Kiska. During an air raid on Kiska, RO-63 manages to dive before the arrival of the planes, but a bomb dropped from a B-24 damages her No. 1 periscope underwater.

15 September 1942:
SubDiv 22 and SubDiv 33 are temporarily attached to Rear Admiral Akiyama Katsuzo’s (40) 51st Base Unit (HQ Kiska).

22 to 24 September 1942:
Patrols off Aleutians, then returns to Kiska.

25 September 1942:
SubDiv 33 is reassigned to Kure SubRon.

26 September 1942:
Departs Kiska for Maizuru with RO-64 and RO-68.

5 October 1942:
Arrives at Maizuru.

15 October 1942:
Lt (later LtCdr) Nambu Nobukiyo (61) (former Torpedo Officer of I-17) is appointed CO.

6 November 1942:
Departs Maizuru for Kure.

8 November 1942:
Arrives at Kure. Used as training ship thereafter.

1 January 1943:
Kure Naval District. RO-63 is in SubDiv 33 with RO-64 and RO-68. Training duties.

16 March 1943:
LtCdr Kondo Fumitake (former torpedo officer of I-122) is assigned as CO.

25 July 1943:
Lt (later Cdr, posthumously) Nishiuchi Shoichi (60) (former CO of RO-105) is appointed CO.

20 December 1943:
Lt (LtCdr, posthumously) Suzuki Katsuhito (63) is appointed CO.

23 February 1944:
Cdr (later Captain) Otani Kiyonori (49) assumes joint command of RO-63.

30 April 1944:
Lt (LtCdr, posthumously) Takema Chuzo (65)(former torpedo officer of RO-106) is appointed CO. [1]

5 August 1944:
Lt Koreeda Sadayoshi (64) )(former CO of RO-115) is appointed CO.

20 August 1944:
Lt (j.g.) (later Lt) Arai Kanichi (69) is appointed CO.

15 October 1944:
Lt (j.g.) Arai is promoted Lt.

6 November 1944:
Lt Imanishi Saburo (67)(former Torpedo Officer, I-36) is appointed CO.

1 January 1945:
Kure Naval District. RO-63 is in SubDiv 33 with RO-64 and RO-67. Training duties.

28 March 1945:
RO-63 is slated to become the tender of the newly-established Koryu type midget submarine detachment on Amami-Oshima Island (Amami Archipelago). She undergoes a makeshift conversion at Kure Navy Yard, during which a 25-mm Type 96 AA gun and an E27 Type 3 radar detector are installed.

8 April 1945:
Departs Kure for Sasebo.

10 April 1945:
At 1355 departs Sasebo for Amami-Oshima, carrying torpedoes and spares.

13 April 1945:
Arrives at Koniya, Amami-Oshima and unloads her cargo that night. During the next two weeks continual air attacks force RO-63 to spend the days submerged on the bottom and surface at night.

29 April 1945:
Receives the order to return to Sasebo.

30 April 1945:
Embarks a cargo of sugar at Kasari Bay, then departs for Sasebo.

3 May 1945:
Returns to Sasebo. Drydocked until mid-May.

Mid-May 1945:
Returns to Otake, resumes training duties.

30 July 1945:
Lt Taketomi Kunio (65) (former CO of I-367) is appointed CO.

15 August 1945:
Maizuru. Surrendered to the Allies.

20 November 1945:
Lt Taketomi is relieved of duty. Removed from the Navy List.

May 1946:
Scuttled in the Iyo Nada.

Authors' Note:
[1] Takema Chuzo's name appears in some Japanese references as Chikuma Chuzo.

Thanks go to Dr. Higuchi Tatsuhiro of Japan and Matthew Jones for additional CO info in Rev 1.

– Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp.

Back to Submarine Page