IJN Patrol Boat No. 2:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2007-2016 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 12

24 January 1918:
A MINEKAZE-class destroyer is ordered and named NADAKAZE.

9 January 1920:
Maizuru Navy Yard. Laid down.

26 June 1920:

30 September 1921:
Completed and registered in the IJN. Attached to Yokosuka Naval District. LtCdr Eguchi Kihachi is the CO.

20 November 1922:
LtCdr Eguchi assumes joint command of SHIMAKAZE.

1 December 1923:
LtCdr (later Capt) Takayama Chuzo (35) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1924:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Ishido Yuzo (36) assumes command.

20 April 1925:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Suzuki Kozo (36) assumes command.

1 December 1925:
LtCdr Suzuki is promoted Cdr.

1 December 1926:
LtCdr (later Cdr) Shimizu Chokichi (37)(former CO of AKIKAZE) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

1 March 1928:
Cdr Yamashita Fukashi (former CO of TACHIKAZE) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

23 July 1928:
LtCdr (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Goto Aritomo (38) assumes command.

10 December 1928:
LtCdr Goto is promoted Cdr.

January 1929:
Tokyo Bay. Participates in tests of the radio-controlled Hulk No. 3 (ex-UZUKI).

15 January 1929:
LtCdr (later Capt) Sakano Minbu (38)(former CO of ASAKAZE) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

15 November 1929:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Ueno Masao (40) assumes command. Placed in reserve at Yokosuka until 15 November 1930.

1 December 1931:
LtCdr (RAdm, posthumously) Narita Moichi (43) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1932:
Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Niimi Kazutaka (40) assumes command. Placed in reserve at Yokosuka until 1 May 1933.

1 May 1933:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Yamamoto Iwata (46) assumes command.

15 November 1935:
LtCdr Takeuchi Torashiro (49) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1936:
LtCdr (later Capt) Kumabe Tsutae (50) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

1 December 1937:
LtCdr (later Capt) Nakasugi Seiji (50) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

2 December 1938:
LtCdr (later Capt) Matsubara Ryuzaburo (52)(former CO of SAWAKAZE) is appointed the Commanding Officer.

20 January 1939:
Yokosuka Navy Yard. Placed in reserve. The two forward boilers are removed reducing speed to 20 knots. Additionally, the first and third banks of torpedo tubes, and No. 2 4.7-inch/45 cal main gun are removed.

1 April 1940:
Designated as Special Duty Patrol Boat No. 1. Later, she is renumbered PB-2 and attached to the Yokosuka Naval District. Assigned to Yokosuka Guard Unit.

24 April 1940:
Lt Umagoshi Masahiro (57) is appointed CO.

15 November 1940:
Lt Furuya Takuo (57) assumes command.

Late 1941:
PB-2 undergoes reconstruction. Nos. 3 and 4 4.7-inch/45 cal main guns, the second bank of torpedo tubes and depth charge equipment are removed. The stem is cut down to the waterline to form a ramp. She is fitted to carry and launch two 46-ft Daihatsu landing craft. Here interior spaces are modified to accommodate up to 250 troops.

10 September 1941:
An unknown officer assumes command. Lt Furuya is posted CO of OTORI.

20 November 1941:
Reassigned to Captain Nishikawa Hayami's (34) Patrol Boat Squadron 1 with PB-1, PB-32, PB-33, PB-34, PB-35, PB-36, PB-37, PB-38 and PB-39.

8 December 1941: Operation "M" - The Invasion of the Philippines:
Participates in the Luzon Strait landing at Batan Island.

17 December 1941:
At 1500 PB-1 and PB-2 depart Amami-Oshima.

24 December 1941:
At 0230 both arrive at Lamon Bay.

9 January 1942: Operation "H" - The Invasion of Celebes, Netherlands East Indies:
PB-2 departs Davao, Philippines with PB-1 and PB-34 in Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Kubo Kuji's (38) 1st Base Force with light cruiser NAGARA, MineSweepDiv 21's W-11, W-7, W-8, W-9 and W-12 and SubChasDiv 1's CH-1, CH-2, CH-3 escorting transports HOKUROKU, NANKAI, KINAI, AMAGISAN, KOSHIN, SHOKA, KATSURAGI and CHOWA MARUs carrying Captain (later Vice Admiral) Mori Kunizo's (40) (former CO of SATA) Sasebo No. 1 Combined Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF).

11 January 1942:
At 0300, the SNLF lands on Kema, Celebes. At 0400, they land on Menado. Later, 334 men of Cdr (later Captain) Horiuchi Toyoaki's (50) (later XO of TAKAO) Yokosuka No. 1 SNLF (Air) are dropped successfully from Mitsubishi G3M1-L Nell converted transport aircraft in the Menado-Kema area. The paratroops seize Langoan airfield.

15 January 1942:
PB-1 and PB-2 and other units arrive at Banka.

21 January 1942:
At 1200 along with various units departs Banka.

24 January 1942:
At 0200 both PB-1 and PB-2 arrive off Kendari. At 1100 arrives at Kendari.

2 February 1942:
At 0800 PB-2 departs Banka with survey ship TSUKUSHI, minelayer AOTAKA, submarine chasers CH-3 and CH-14, PB-1, IKUSHIMA, MATSUE, MONTEVIDEO, SAN CLEMENTE and YAMASHIMO MARUs. IKUSHIMA MARU carries 5th and 6th construction units.

4 February 1942:
At 0637, arrives at Kendari.

5-10 February 1942: The Invasion of Macassar, Celebes:
PB-2 is with Rear Admiral Kubo’s 1st Base Force with PB-1 and PB-34, light cruiser NAGARA, MineSweepDiv 21, SubchasDiv 2 and SubChasDiv 1’s CH-1, CH-2 and CH-3 escorting the Macassar invasion force consisting of transports HOKUROKU, NANKAI, KINAI, MONTEVIDEO, MATSUE, IKUSHIMA and YAMASHIMO MARUs carrying Captain Mori's Sasebo Combined SNLF.

12 February 1942:
At 1700 both PB-1 and PB-2 arrive back at Kendari.

18 February 1942:
PB-2 departs Ambon for Dili, Portugese Timor with PB-1 and PB-34 and troop transports AFRICA, YAMAURA, MIIKE, ZENYO and RYOYO MARUs escorted by MineSweepDiv 21's W-7 and W-8, DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE and YAMAKAZE and a subchaser. CruDiv 5's HAGURO and MYOKO, DesDiv 6's INAZUMA and IKAZUCHI and DesDiv 7's AKEBONO provide distant cover. Air cover is provided by seaplane carrier MIZUHO.

20 February 1942:
Portugese Timor is invaded.

25 February 1942:
At 0700 PB-1 and PB-2 arrive at Kupang escorting YAMAURA and KASUGA MARUs. LYONS MARU transfers supplies to PB-1.

1 March 1942:
PB-1 departs Kupang escorting LYONS, TENRYU and NANIWA MARUs. At some point the ships are joined by PB-2 and LYONS MARU is detached and KATSURAGI MARU joins.

29 March 1942: The Invasion of Dutch New Guinea:
Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Fujita Ruitaro's (38) (former CO of FUSO) "N" Expeditionary Force assembles at Ambon Island. Fujita's Force includes CarDiv 11's seaplane carrier CHITOSE, light cruiser KINU, DesDiv 16's YUKIKAZE and TOKITSUKAZE, torpedo boats TOMOZURU, HATSUKARI, patrol boats PB-2, PB-1, PB-38 and PB-39, SubChasDiv 54's SHONAN MARU Nos. 5 and 17 and FUKUEI MARU No. 15, oiler SEIAN MARU and transport HOKUROKU MARU plus a Special Naval Landing Force. The N Expeditionary Force departs Ambon.

31 March 1942:
Arrives at Boela, Ceram Island. Moluccas.

1-21 April 1942:
The N Expeditionary Force invades Fak-Fak, Babo, Sorong, Manokwari, Moemi, Nabire, Seroei, Sarmi and Hollandia, New Guinea.

2 April 1942:
Fak-fak. From 1510, PB-2 acting as special type cargo and landing ship lands troops from Sasebo Naval Landing Force ashore assisted by auxiliary gunboat MANYO MARU.

4 April 1942:
Sorong. From 1655, PB-2 acting as special type cargo and landing ship lands troops from Sasebo Naval Landing Force ashore assisted by auxiliary gunboat MANYO MARU. At 1805 troops from patrol boat PB-38 are landed as reinforcements.

23 April 1942:
The N Expeditionary Force is dissolved. All units return to Ambon Island.

13 April 1942:
At 1930, OSEI MARU departs Saeki escorted by PB-2.

1 May 1942:
Reattached to Yokosuka Naval District with PB-1.

15 May 1942:
At 1230 PB-1 and PB-2 depart Yokosuka escorting Seaplane carrier AKITSUSHIMA and transport ex liner BRAZIL MARU. The convoy sails at 16 knots.

19 May 1942:
Arrives at Saipan.

28 May 1942:Operation "MI" - The Battle of Midway:
PB-2, PB-1 and PB-34 depart Saipan in Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Kondo Nobutake's (35) (former CO of KONGO) Midway Invasion Force's Transport Group with oiler AKEBONO MARU, transports ZENYO, ARGENTINA, BRAZIL, AZUMA, KIYOSUMI, KEIYO, GOSHU, KANO, HOKUROKU, KIRISHIMA and NANKAI MARUs and TOA MARU No. 2. The transports carry an airfield construction unit, LtCol Ichiki Kiyonao's IJA detachment and two battalions of Special Naval Landing Forces (SNLF).

Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Tanaka Raizo's (41) (former CO of KONGO) DesRon 2's light cruiser JINTSU and DesDiv 15's KUROSHIO and OYASHIO, DesDiv 16's AMATSUKAZE, HATSUKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE and YUKIKAZE and DesDiv 18's KAGERO provide the escort with destroyer-transports SHIRANUHI, KASUMI and ARARE. Air cover is provided by Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Fujita Ruitaro's (38) (former CO of FUSO) seaplane tenders CHITOSE and KAMIKAWA MARU.

3 June 1942:
The convoy is bombed by nine Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortresses". Later, the convoy is also attacked by three torpedo-carrying Consolidated PBY "Catalina" amphibious patrol planes. Oiler AKEBONO MARU is hit in the bow and KIYOSUMI MARU is strafed.

5 June 1942:
At 0255, the Combined Fleet's Commander-in-Chief Admiral (Fleet Admiral, posthumously) Yamamoto Isoroku (32) (former CO of AKAGI), aboard his flagship YAMATO, orders Operation MI cancelled.

13 or 16 June 1942:
The Transport Group arrives at Guam and disembarks LtCol Ichiki's detachment.

1 July 1942:
Reassigned to the Yokosuka Guard Unit.

4 July 1942:
At 0900 arrives at Nagaura.

6 July 1942:
At 0905 departs Nagaura.

15 July 1942:
At 0800 arrives at Yokosuka.

16 July 1942:
At 1550 departs Yokosuka. Later N and 12 nautical miles off Sunosaki. PB-2 joins as escort to auxiliary gunboat NIKKAI MARU towing water barge KOSHO No. 4008 from Yokosuka to Rabaul.

19 July 1942:
80 degrees and 12 nautical miles off Muko Jima, Bonins, PB-2 is detached.

20 July 1942:
At 1800 arrives at Nagaura.

21 July 1942:
At 1125 departs Nagaura.

22 July 1942:
Ar 1240 arrives at Nagaura.

25 July 1942:
At 0725 departs Nagaura.

31 July 1942:
At 1245 arrives at Nagaura.

7 August 1942: American Operation "Watchtower" - The Invasion of Guadalcanal, British Solomons:
Rear Admiral (later Admiral) Richmond K. Turner's (USNA ’08) (former CO of USS ASTORIA, CA-34), Amphibious Task Force 62, covered by Vice Admiral (MOH/later Admiral) Frank J. Fletcher's (USNA ’06) (former CO of USS VERMONT, BB-20) Task Force 61 and Rear Admiral (Admiral posthumously) John S. McCain's (former CO of USS RANGER, CV-4) Task Force 63's land-based aircraft, lands MajGen (later General/MOH/Commandant) Alexander A. Vandegrift's 1st Marine Division on Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, Tanambogo and Guadalcanal opening the campaign to retake the islands.

9 August 1942:
At 1000 PB-1 and PB-2 depart Yokosuka.

13 August 1942:
Due to arrive at Saipan.

16 August 1942:
Truk. At 0500, DesDiv 4's ARASHI and HAGIKAZE, DesDiv 15's KAGERO and DesDiv 17's HAMAKAZE, TANIKAZE and URAKAZE depart Truk for Guadalcanal as the first echelon of a reinforcement convoy carrying 917 men of LtCol Ichiki Kiyonao's 28th Infantry Regiment.

The second echelon of the reinforcement convoy departs Truk consisting of BOSTON and DAIFUKU MARUs carrying 1,100 men of Ichiki's Regiment escorted by light cruiser JINTSU and PB-35 and PB-34. Rear Admiral Tanaka in JINTSU is in command of the convoy.

PB-1 and PB-2 depart Truk escorting the third echelon consisting of armed merchant cruiser KINRYU MARU carrying about 1,000 troops of the Yokosuka No. 5 SNLF.

18 August 1942:
About noon, DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE, SUZUKAZE and UMIKAZE join the second and third echelons still enroute to Guadalcanal.

19 August 1942:
Cape Taivu, E of Lunga Point, Guadalcanal. At 0100, the first echelon lands LtCol Ikki's troops.

20 August 1942:
At midnight, Ichiki's troops storm Guadalcanal's "Henderson Field" to retake the airfield, but almost all of Ichiki's men are cut down by U. S. Marines. Ichiki commits suicide.

21 August 1942:
That evening, Tanaka receives a signal from Headquarters, Eighth Fleet that Vice Admiral Kondo's Second Fleet and Vice Admiral (Admiral posthumously) Nagumo's (36) Third Fleet will support Tanaka's reinforcement convoy consisting of the second and third echelons.

24 August 1942: The Battle of the Eastern Solomons.
At 1230, Tanaka's force sights light carrier RYUJO, covered by CruDiv 8's TONE and DesDiv 16's AMATSUKAZE and TOKITSUKAZE. Later, RYUJO launches two strikes against Henderson Field. At 1357, RYUJO is attacked by aircraft from Vice Admiral Fletcher's Task Force 61's USS SARATOGA (CV-3). RYUJO is hit by four bombs and a torpedo hit that floods her starboard engine room. At 1800, RYUJO capsizes and sinks.

CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU launch aircraft that find and damage ENTERPRISE (CV-6). That evening, aircraft from SARATOGA damage seaplane carrier CHITOSE. The same night, DesDiv 15's KAGERO, DesDiv 17's ISOKAZE, DesDiv 24's KAWAKAZE and DesDiv 30's MUTSUKI and YAYOI shell Henderson Field, then race northward to join Tanaka's convoy.

25 August 1942:
150 miles N of Guadalcanal. At 0600, six USMC Douglas SBD "Dauntless" dive-bombers attack the convoy. KINRYU MARU is hit and begins to sink. Her embarked troops are evacuated by DesDiv 30's MUTSUKI and YAYOI and PB-1 and PB-2.

BOSTON MARU is damaged by an SBD near-miss bomb. A bomb hits JINTSU's forecastle and starts fires that cause her forward magazines to be flooded. Rear Admiral Tanaka is injured and shifts his flag to KAGERO. B-17 bombers arrive and sink MUTSUKI still evacuating troops from sinking KINRYU MARU. 41 sailors are KIA. YAYOI rescues survivors, including Comdesdiv 30 Captain (Rear Admiral posthumously)Yasutake Shiro (47) and her CO, LtCdr Hatano Kenji (57).

25 August 1942:
The convoy returns to Shortland, Bougainville that night.

3 October 1942:
PB-2 and PB-39 depart Rabaul escorting Army transport YAMAURA MARU.

4 October 1942:
The ships arrive at Basuba (near Buna).

23 October 1942:
Shortland. Refueled by oiler OMUROSAN MARU (255 tons).

24 October 1942: Shortland. Refueled by oiler OMUROSAN MARU.

26 October 1942:
Shortland. Refueled again by OMUROSAN MARU (43 tons).

2 November 1942:
At 1000 departs Shortland.

4 November 1942:
Begins patrolling the northern approaches to Shortland.

7 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland.

11 November 1942:
Departs Shortland and begins patrolling the northern approaches.

12 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland and later departs with PB-34.

13 November 1942:
Arrives at Munda.

14 November 1942:
PB-2 and PB-34 depart Munda and later that day arrive back at Shortland.

18 November 1942:
Departs Shortland and patrols the northern approaches.

20 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland.

21 November 1942:
Departs Shortland on an anti submarine sweep.

22 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland.

24 November 1942:
Departs Shortland and patrols the northern approaches.

25 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland.

26 November 1942:
Departs Shortland and later that day arrives at Munda.

28 November 1942:
Departs Munda.

29 November 1942:
Arrives back at Shortland.

30 November 1942:
Departs Shortland.

1 December 1942:
Arrives at Rabaul.

10 December 1942:
Departs Rabaul.

12 December 1942:
Arrives at the Solomons and begins patrolling the northern approaches off Shortland.

17 December 1942:
Arrives at Shortland.

18 December 1942:
Departs Shortland and patrols the western approaches before departing the area.

20 December 1942:
Arrives at Rabaul and remains there for the rest of the month.

E 5 January 1943:
Departs Rabaul.

7 January 1943:
Arrives at Buin.

9 January 1943:
At 1430 departs Buin. At 2030 arrives at Buin.

10 January 1943:
At 0200 departs Munda and later that day arrives back at Buin.

11 January 1943:
At 1200 departs Buin.

12 January 1943:
Arrives at Rabaul. Later departs back to Japan.

24 January 1943:
At 0630 arrives at Saipan,

25 January 1943:
At 0910 due to depart for Yokosuka.

15 February 1943:
Reassigned to the General Escort Command’s 1st Escort Division. Lt (Reserve) Kito Takejiro is the CO.

21 February 1943:
At 0945 departs Yokosuka.

23 February 1943:
At 0900 arrives at Moji.

26 February 1943:
At 1600 PB-2 departs Moji escorting convoy No. 131 consisting of SHOZUI, KINKA, BOKO (ex British SAGRES), REIYO, NITTETSU, SHONAN and MANTAI MARUs. TOZAN MARU possibly joins from Sasebo.

3 March 1943:
At 1100 arrives at Takao.

4 March 1943:
At 1000 departs Takao and at 1600 arrives at Mako.

9 March 1943:
At 0900 departs Mako and at 1500 arrives at Takao.

10 March 1943:
At 1100 departs Takao.

12 March 1943:
At 1300 arrives back at Takao but departs again at 1630.

13 March 1943:
At 1640 arrives at Takao.

15 March 1943:
At 0930 PB-2 departs Takao escorting convoy No. 741 consisting of NITTATSU MARU and two unidentified merchant ships. At some point PB-2 is detached.

17 March 1943:
At 0915 PB-2 arrives back at Takao.

18 March 1943:
Convoy No. 741 arrives at Manila.

19 March 1943:
At 1020 PB-2 departs Takao.

21 March 1943:
At 0900 arrives at Takao.

22 March 1943:
At 1300 PB-2 departs Takao escorting convoy No. 742 consisting of two unidentified merchant ships.

25 March 1943:
At 1100 arrives at Manila.

27 March 1943:
At 0800 PB-2 departs Manila escorting convoy No. 3101 consisting of one unidentified merchant ship.

1 April 1943:
At 1400 arrives at Palau.

4 April 1943:
At 1200, PB-2 departs Palau escorting convoy No. 3202 consisting of RYUYO, SHONAN, NAGATO, RYUZAN, SHANGHAI and YASUSHIMA MARUs.

9 April 1943:
Off Mindoro in 13-12N 121-45E SHANGHAI MARU is torpedoed and sunk by USS GRAYLING.

10 April 1943:
At 1100 arrives at Manila.

12 April 1943:
At 1100 departs Manila.

14 April 1943:
At 1200 arrives at Manila.

17 April 1943:
At 0900 PB-2 departs Manila escorting convoy No. 3102 consisting of one unidentified merchant ship.

21 April 1943:
At 0810 arrives at Palau.

23 April 1943:
At 1200 PB-2 departs Palau escorting convoy No. 3205 consisting of TSUYAMA, KAIFUKU MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships.

29 April 1943:
At 1140 arrives at Manila.

3 May 1943:
At 0600 departs Manila.

8 May 1943:
At 2000 arrives back at Manila.

12 May 1943:
At 1100 PB-2 departs Manila escorting convoy No. 847 consisting of one unidentified merchant ship.

15 May 1943:
At 1000 arrives at Takao.

17 May 1943:
At 0750 departs Takao and at 1310 arrives at Mako.

25 May 1943:
At 0900 departs Mako and at 1500 arrives at Takao.

27 May 1943:
At 1000 PB-2 departs Takao escorting convoy No. 266 consisting of JUYO, GINYO, KIYO, SHOKO, HAKUBASAN MARUs, OGURA MARU No. 1 and seven unidentified merchant ships.

29 May 1943:
At 2245 in position 29-50N 129-35E LtCdr Anthony H Dropp's USS SAURY (SS-189) torpedoes and sinks SHOKO MARU loaded with 7250 tons of iron ore, with two torpedoes. All 57 crewmen and four watchmen are killed.

1 June 1943:
At 2030 arrives at Moji.

4 June 1943:
At 1200 PB-2 departs Moji escorting convoy No. 162 consisting of NITTETSU MARU and nine unidentified merchant ships.

8 June 1943:
At 2140 arrives at Takao.

11 June 1943:
At 0910 departs Takao and at 1610 arrives at Mako.

14 June 1943:
At 1300 PB-2 departs Mako escorting convoy No. 399 consisting of 13 unidentified merchant ships.

21 June 1943:
At 1000 arrives at St Jacques.

23 June 1943:
At 0900, PB-2 departs St Jacques escorting convoy No. 587 consisting of HAWAII, HITORA, TAISHIN and ARIAKE MARUs.

26 June 1943:
AT 1500 arrives at Singapore.

29 June 1943:
At 1055 PB-2 departs Singapore escorting convoy No. 601 consisting of oiler OGURA MARU No. 2 and three unidentified merchant ships.

2 July 1943:
At 1000 arrives at St Jacques.

5 July 1943:
At 0800 PB-2 departs St Jacques escorting convoy No. 408 consisting of oiler OGURA MARU No. 2, RIKKO MARU and three unidentified merchant ships. The convoy sails at 8 knots.

10 July 1943:
At 2200 arrives at Takao.

13 July 1943:
At 1200 PB-2 departs Takao escorting the "M" convoy consisting of KINUGASA MARU and eight unidentified merchant ships.

18 July 1943:
At 1712 arrives at Moji.

25 July 1943:
At 1930 PB-2 departs Moji escorting convoy No. 180 consisting of TATSUHARU, JAMBI MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships.

30 July 1943:
At 0015 arrives at Takao.

2 August 1943:
PB-2 departs Takao escorting convoy No. 288 consisting of tanker KIYO MARU and six unidentified merchant ships.

7 August 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

12 August 1943:
PB-2 departs Moji escorting convoy No. 186 consisting of MAEBASHI, HIROTA MARUs and five unidentified merchant ships.

17 August 1943:
Arrives at Takao.

22 August 1943:
PB-2 departs Takao escorting convoy No. 317 consisting of tankers KIYO MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No.3 and RYUKO, CHOJO, KOYU, KACHOSAN and KAIKO MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships.

30 August 1943:
Arrives at St Jacques. Later transfers to Saigon.

6 September 1943:
At 0905 departs Saigon and at 1225 arrives at St Jacques.

7 September 1943:
At 1400, PB-2 departs Saigon for Mako, Pescadore Islands with auxiliary gunboat HUASHAN (KAZAN) MARU escorting convoy No. 424 consisting of KENSEI, CHINA, MIYO, CHIYODA, JINZAN, FUKUJU, TOSEI, BELGIUM, TEIRYU (ex German AUGSBURG), ANKO and KAIKO MARUs.

14 September 1943:
At 0800, the convoy arrives at Mako less TOSEI, TEIRYU, ANKO and KAIKO MARUs that detached earlier.

19 September 1943:
At 0950, PB-2 departs Mako for Moji with auxiliary TOYO MARU No. 3 escorting convoy No. 205 consisting of KYOKKO, SEIZAN, CHINA, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA), NICHIEI, FUKUJU, DENMARK and HOKUAN MARUs.

20 September 1943:
The convoy is joined by BIYO, GINREI, KENZUI, TATSUHA, TOSEI and JINZAN MARUs.

24 September 1943:
At 1600, the convoy arrives at Moji less HOKUAN MARU that detached earlier.

25 September 1943:
At 1005 PB-2 departs Moji.

26 September 1944:
At 0600 arrives at Kobe.

27 September 1943:
At 1100 departs Kobe escorting convoy No. 8927 consisting of FUKUJU, CHINA, TOSEI, MATSUMOTO and KASUGASAN MARUs bound for Tokyo Bay.

28 September 1943:
At 0100 off Shiono Misaki an unsuccessful torpedo attack on the convoy takes place.

29 September 1944:
At 1214 arrives at Nagaura. Undergoes repairs.

7 October 1943:
At 0935 transfers to No. 1 graving dock of Yokosuka Repair Yard.

12 October 1943:
At 1200 undocked. Remains in port undergoing repairs.

18 October 1943:
At 1525 departs Yokosuka and at 1633 arrives at Yokohama.

19 October 1943:
At 1200 departs Yokohama escorting convoy No. 7019 consisting of MAGANE and SHOEI MARUs (the latter joining from Yokosuka, 2764 gt) and HOKKAI MARU that joins from Shimizu. At 1620 PB-2 suffers an engine breakdown and is forced to detach from the convoy and returns to Yokosuka, arriving at 1830.

26 October 1943:
At 1300 departs Yokosuka escorting convoy No. 7026 consisting only of fleet gasoline tanker TAKASAKI. At 1445 TAKASAKI suffers a fuel pump failure but this is repaired by 1505 and the convoy resumes.

28 October 1943:
At 1730 both ships arrive at Moji.

30 October 1943:
At 1600, PB-2 and auxiliary gunboat KAZAN (HUASHAN) MARU depart Mutsure escorting convoy No. 110 consisting of ASAHISAN, MALTA, HANAKAWA, TERUKAWA, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA), KIZAN, YOZAN, SANKO, SEIZAN, TEIKON (ex German WINNETOU), OSHIMA, CHINKAI, TAINAN, TOYO, YULIN, SHINKOKU and SEIWA MARUs.

4 November 1943:
At 1410, arrives at Takao.

7 November 1943:
At 1225, PB-2 departs Takao for Manila escorting convoy No. 776 consisting of CHINKAI, TOYO, SHINKOKU, ASAHISAN, YOZAN, RIZAN, MADRAS, TOTTORI, AKAGISAN, KIZAN MARUs and LST BANRYU (later SS-2).

10 November 1943:
At 1300, arrives at Manila.

15 November 1943:
At 1350 departs Manila to assist convoy No. 777 that has been attacked by an enemy submarine. Meets up with TOYU and RYUSEI MARUs from the convoy and escorts the vessels.

16 November 1943:
At 1715 arrives back at Manila.

18 November 1943:
At 1225, PB-2 departs Manila for Kau, Halmahera Island, Moluccas escorting convoy H-5A consisting of ASAHISAN, RIZAN (ex British MUNLOCK), MADRAS, TOTTORI, EICHIZEN, AKAGISAN and MATSUEI (SHOEI) MARUs.

22 November 1943:
At 1330 auxiliary subchaser KYO MARU No. 2 joins the convoy.

23 November 1943:
At 0600, in 03-21N 126-18E PB-2 is detached.

25 November 1943:
At 1030 arrives at Balikpapan.

30 November 1943:
At 0700, PB-2 departs Balikpapan with CHa-37 and auxiliary minesweeper Wa-103 escorting convoy 2612 consisting of YAMAGIKU, NICHIRYO and FRANCE MARUs.

1 December 1943:
At 2205, LtCdr (later Cdr) Thomas W. Hogan's (USNA ’31) USS BONEFISH (SS-223) torpedoed and sinks NICHIRYO MARU carrying 18 passengers and 3,300-tons of nickel ore, at 01-28N, 120-53E. Six passengers, one guard and 18 crewmen are killed. The convoy immediately reverses course.

2 December 1943:
At 0040, arrives at Kabetan Bay.

3 December 1943:
At 0700, departs Kabetan Bay.

5 December 1943:
SHIRANESAN MARU joins convoy.

7 December 1943:
At 1020, arrives at Palau.

13 December 1943:
At 0730, PB-2 departs Palau with auxiliary subchasers CHa-26 and CHa-27 escorting convoy 2515 consisting of oilers FUJISAN MARU, OGURA MARU No. 3, HAKUBASAN MARU and SHOYU MARU bound for Tarakan and SHINKOKU MARU and ammunition ship ARATAMA MARU bound for Balikpapan.

17 December 1943:
At 1700, subchaser CH-6 joins the escort. At midnight, the subchaser and the Tarakan-bound ships split away from the convoy.

19 December 1943:
At 1045, arrives at Balikpapan.

25 December 1943:
Reassigned to the Southwest Area Fleet’s 22nd Special Base Force at Balikpapan, Borneo. Escorts convoys to Saigon, Singapore and Manila.

26 December 1943:
At 1325, PB-2 departs Balikpapan escorting convoy 2614 consisting of oiler OGURA MARU No. 3.

30 December 1943:
At 0740, NIPPONKAI MARU joins the convoy.

31 December 1943:
At 1800, subchaser CH-33 joins escort.

1 January 1944:
At 1959, arrives at Palau.

3 January 1944:
At 0731 departs Palau escorting convoy NE-202 consisting of tanker GENYO MARU also escorted by the destroyer TACHIKAZE.

5 January 1944:
At 1245 in position 04-04N 125-12E meets up with tanker KOKUYO MARU being escorted by the Storeship ARASAKI.

7 January 1944:
At 1320 arrives at Balikpapan.

13 January 1944:
At 0143 departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep.

15 January 1944:
At 1400 arrives back at Balikpapan.

17 January 1944:
At 0825 departs Balikpapan escorting convoy KU-702 consisting of tankers NICHIEI and KYOKUTO MARUs bound for Truk.

22 January 1944:
At 1345 in position 130 east the destroyers TANIKAZE and SHIMAKAZE meet the convoy and PB-2 is detached for Palau.

24 January 1944:
At 1115 arrives at Palau.

26 January 1944:
At 0700 PB-2 and auxiliary submarine chaser CHa-26 depart Palau escorting NE-602 convoy consisting of NAGISAN MARU and TSURUMI.

1 February 1944:
At 1700 arrive at Balikpapan.

1 May 1944:
At 0820, PB-2 departs Balikpapan with auxiliary sub-chaser CHa-41 escorting the "Tsurumi convoy" consisting of fleet oiler TSURUMI and tanker NASUSAN MARU.

3 May 1944:
At 1904, arrives at Tarakan.

4 May 1944:
At 1036, departs Tarakan, still with TSURUMI.

5 May 1944:
At 1207, arrives at Balikpapan.

6 May 1944:
At 1255 departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep.

8 May 1944:
At 0830 arrives back at Balikpapan.

9 May 1944:
At 0800 departs Balikpapan escorting KANAN MARU.

10 May 1944:
At 1907 arrives at Tolitoli.

11 May 1944:
At 0555 departs Tolitoli.

12 May 1944:
At 1345 arrives at Menado.

13 May 1944:
At 1108 departs Menado.

14 May 1944:
At 1614 arrives at Tolitoli.

15 May 1944:
At 0808 departs Tolitoli.

16 May 1944:
At 0743 arrives at Menado.

17 May 1944:
At 0852 departs Menado.

18 May 1944:
At 2315 arrives at Balikpapan.

19 May 1944:
At 0202 departs Balikpapan and at 0835 arrives at Tolitoli. At 1552 departs Tolitoli.

20 May 1944:
At 0830 arrives at Balikpapan.

23 May 1944:
At 1337 departs Balikpapan on an anti-submarine sweep.

24 May 1944:
In response to an attempted torpedo attack on SHIOYA (by USS CABRILLA) at 01-45N 121-04 PB-2 is sent to the scene to assist by hunting the submarine.

27 May 1944:
At 0910 arrives at Balikpapan.

28 May 1944:
At 0800, departs Balikpapan escorting a convoy consisting of HOKKAI and NIPPO MARUs. At 2137, arrives at Kotabaru, Laut Island.

29 May 1944:
At 0755, departs Kotabaru.

30 May 1944:
HOKKAI MARU suffers steering problems and a long delay is experienced.

3 June 1944:
At 1537, arrives at Seletar Naval Base, Singapore.

4 June 1944:
At 1235 docked.

13 June 1944:
At 1055 undocked but remains under repairs for the rest of the month.

11 July 1944:
At 2300 departs singapore escorting NANKAI MARU.

16 July 1944:
At 1612 arrives at Macassar.

18 July 1944:
At 0715 departs Macassar, still escorting NANKAI MARU.

19 July 1944:
At 1903 arrives at Balikpapan.

22 July 1944:
At 1110 departs Balikpapan escorting Shiretoko Convoy consisting of Naval oiler SHIRETOKO and Naval Transport T-101.

26 July 1944:
At 1608 arrives at Bongao, Tawi Tawi.

30 July 1944:
At 0640 departs Bongao still with SHIRETOKO and T-101.

3 August 1944:
At 0500 departs Zamboanga still with SHIRETOKO and T-101.

4 August 1944:
At 1037 arrives at Cebu.

5 August 1944:
At 0010 departs Cebu.

6 August 1944:
At 1145 arrives at Bongao where T-101 and SHIRETOKO are detached.

7 August 1944:
At 0630, PB-2 departs Tawi Tawi with subchaser CH-4 escorting TATSUHARU MARU to Balikpapan.

8 August 1944:
At 1338 arrives at Tarakan.

9 August 1944:
The convoy is joined off Kalanbenna by converted tanker SEIAN MARU and at 0425 departs Tarakan.

11 August 1944:
At 2030, arrives at Balikpapan.

13 August 1944:
At 0648 PB-2 departs Balikpapan escorting TATSUHARU MARU bound for Surabaya.

14 August 1944:
At 2158 PB-2 returns alone to Balikpapan.

16 August 1944:
At 0658 departs Balikpapan and meets up and escorts transport KIMIKAWA MARU bound for Macassar. At 1749 arrives back at Balikpapan.

18 August 1944:
At 0950 departs Balikpapan on a transport mission.

19 August 1944:
At 1555 arrives at Tarakan.

20 August 1944:
At 0900 departs Tarakan.

21 August 1944:
At 1310 arrives back at Balikpapan.

22 August 1944:
At 0750 departs Balikpapan.

24 August 1944:
At 1501 arrives at Bongao.

25 August 1944:
At 0630 departs Bongao with submarine chaser CH-4 escorting fleet oiler SHIRETOKO.

26 August 1944:
At 2000 arrives at Tarakan.

28 August 1944:
At 0628 departs Tarakan.

30 August 1944:
At 1032 arrives at Balikpapan.

31 August 1944:
At 1339 departs Balikpapan with subchaser CH-4 escorting Navy transports T-102 and T-131 bound for Jolo.

4 September 1944:
At 1711 arrives at Jolo.

7 September 1944:
At 0116 (?) departs Jolo with Subchaser CH-4 escorting Navy transport T-131.

8 September 1944:
At 1031 arrives at Tarakan.

9 September 1944:
At 1147 departs Tarakan.

11 September 1944:
At 1825 arrives at Balikpapan.

14 September 1944:
At 1149 PB-2 departs Balikpapan with minesweeper W-30 escorting Navy oiler SHIRETOKO and Navy transport T-131.

20 September 1944:
At 1849 arrives at Bongao, Tawi Tawi.

21 September 1944:
At 0655 departs Bongao with Navy transport T-131 and later that day at 1100 arrives at Jolo. Returns to Bongao arriving back at 1420.

22 September 1944:
At 0620 departs Bongao with minesweeper W-30 escorting Naval oiler SHIRETOKO.

24 September 1944:
At 0627 anchors off Puerto Princesa. The ships are held there because of a large air-raid on Manila, the intended destination.

27 September 1944:
At 1750 departs Puerto Princesa for Manila but the danger of air attack forces the ships to return.

28 September 1944:
At 1732 arrives back at Puerto Princesa.

30 September 1944:
At 0454 departs Puerto Princesa to Taytay Bay, NE Palawan.

1 October 1944:
At 0652 departs Taytay Bay.

3 October 1944:
At 1950 arrives at Manila.

4 October 1944:
At 1408 PB-2 departs Manila escorting No.27 convoy but at 1650 detaches and at 2151 arrives back at Manila Port.

6 October 1944:
At 0929 PB-2 and Minesweeper W-30 depart Manila escorting Shiretoko Convoy consisting of Naval Oiler SHIRETOKO and tanker KYOEI MARU.

7 October 1944:
NW of Manila. At 0334, LtCdr (later Cdr) James A. Adkins' (USNA ’26) USS COD (SS-224) attacks SHIRETOKO by SJ radar. He fires four torpedoes on radar bearings and range and gets two hits at 13-30N, 119-20E. Later that day at 1706, arrives at Busuanga anchorage and stays there carrying out urgent repairs for the next five days.

12 October 1944:
At 0450 departs Busuanga. Later that day at 1713, arrives at Taytay Bay.

13 October 1944:
At 0525 departs Taytay Bay. Later that day, arrives at Puerto Princesa, Palawan Islands.

16 October 1944:
Departs Puerto Princesa. Later that day, arrives at Brookes Point.

17 October 1944:
Departs Brookes Point. Later that day, arrives at Banggi Island.

18 October 1944:
CH-56 joins the convoy as escort. Later that day, tanker SHUNTEN MARU and minesweeper W-105 also join the convoy. At 0602 departs Banggi Island.

19 October 1944:
At 2117 arrives at Kudat.

20 October 1944:
At 0642 departs Kudat. Later that day at 1734, arrives at Turtle Island.

21 October 1944:
At 1252 departs Turtle Island.

22 October 1944:
At 1712 arrives at Tarakan.

25 October 1944:
At 0650, PB-2 departs Tarakan with subchasers CH-5 and CH-31 escorting convoy M-246 consisting of UNKAI MARU No. 12, CAROLINE MARU and oilers TAKASAGO MARU No. 2, NANSHIN MARU No. 8, NANKO MARU No. 1 and HORAI MARU No. 7. At 1437, UNKAI MARU No. 12 runs aground. PB-2 is detached to guard the ship.

29 October 1944:
At 2000 arrives at Honda Bay, N of Puerto Princesa. Later that day, PB-2 and UNKAI MARU No. 12 rejoin the convoy at Puerto Princesa.

31 October 1944:
At 2000, arrives at Taytay Bay, NE Palawan.

1 November 1944:
Departs Taytay Bay. Later that day, the convoy is attacked by LtCdr George H. Laird's (USNA ’33) USS BLACKFIN (SS-322) and LtCdr William T. Kinsella's (USNA ’34) USS RAY (SS-271). At 0923, Laird torpedoes and sinks UNKAI MARU No. 12 and CAROLINE MARU, both both with a full load of fuel oil each, at 12-57N, 120-12E. UNKAI MARU No. 12 sinks with the loss of 12 lives, while CAROLINE MARU has 13 crewmen KIA. At 1042, Kinsella sinks HORAI MARU No. 7, carrying 1425 tons of petroleum, at the same location. 10 of the crew are killed. Later that day, the rest of the convoy arrives at Manila.

8 November 1944:
At 1900, PB-2 departs Manila for Balikpapan with subchaser CH-4, three unidentified subchasers escorting convoy B-02 consisting of MANYO MARU and oilers HISHI MARU No. 2 and KYOEI MARU.

9 November 1944:
At 1530, LtCdr Franch C. Lynch's (USNA ’38) USS HADDO (SS-255) torpedoes and sinks HISHI MARU No. 2, sailing in ballast, at 12-24N 120-45E. 11 crewmen are killed. The escorts counter-attack USS HADDO with 20 depth charges, but are unsucessful.

E 10 November 1944:
The convoy arrives at Balikpapan.

December 1944:
Spends the whole month at Surabaya undertaking repairs.

19 January 1945:
At 1020 departs Surabaya escorting the storeship KITAKAMI MARU.

21 January 1945:
At 2004 arrives at Jakarta.

27 January 1945:
At 1840 departs Jakarta escorting a convoy consisting of SUITEN (ex Dutch SCHOUTEN) and TAITO MARUs.

30 January 1945:
At 1114 arrives at Surabaya.

6 February 1945:
At 0700, PB-2 departs Surabaya with minesweeper W-11 and auxiliary subchaser CHa-104 escorting the Suiten Maru convoy consisting of SUITEN (ex Dutch SCHOUTEN), SUGI and KENZAN MARUs and NANSHIN MARU No. 12.

9 February 1945:
At 1600, the convoy arrives safely at Balikpapan. SUGI and KENZAN MARUs are detached for Makassar prior to this time.

2 March 1945:
At 1450 departs Balikpapan.

5 March 1945:
At 0150 returns to Balikpapan.

9 March 1945:
At 1746 departs Balikpapan escorting a convoy.

13 March 1945:
At 1220 arrives at Surabaya. Remains at Surabaya for the rest of the month.

25 July 1945:
Java Sea. Lombok Strait, Lesser Sunda Archipelago. PB-2 is engaged in a transport mission from from Surabaya to Macassar when British LtCdr Albert G. Davies' submarine HMS STUBBORN (P-238) spots the zig-zagging PB-2. Davies sets up and fires four torpedoes from 3,000 yards. He gets hits with two torpedoes. PB-2 sinks at 07-07S, 115-40E.

Davies surfaces and maneuvers between the survivors in the water. One survivor makes a "suspicious gesture" and is immediately shot by HMS STUBBORN’s gunnery officer. Davies then orders all the remaining survivors shot. In the midst of the shootings, an aircraft appears and forces HMS STUBBORN down. When she resurfaces, no Japanese are in sight. Lt Kito and most of the crew are KIA.

26 July 1945:
At 1835, USN codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message that reads: “At 1100, 26th in position 07-07S, 115-53 E. PB-2 sank as a result of a torpedo attack from an enemy submarine. Special [auxiliary] subchaser CHa-36 is to proceed immediately to the above place and after having picked up survivors --.”

3 August 1945:
At 1109, codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message that reads: “PB-2 was attacked by one enemy submarine (1 torpedo) in position 07-06S, 115-42E at 1830 on July 25th while engaged in operational transportation from Surabaya to Makassar -.”

30 September 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Author's Notes:
Thanks go to John Whitman of the USA for info on CNO intercepts of Japanese messages and Saipan movement information, Matt Jones of the USA for info on Co's and to Gilbert Casse of France for wider general assistance.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Back to Patrol Boat Page