(DD-224 (ex-USS STEWART, ex-PB-102) at San Francisco after her recapture - 1946)

IJN Patrol Boat No. 102:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2006-2015 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 7

9 September 1919:
Laid down by William Cramp and Sons, Philadelphia, PA as DD-224.

4 March 1920:
Launched, named and numbered USS STEWART (DD-224).

15 September 1920:
Commissioned in the USN.

20 June 1922:
Departs Naval Base Newport Rhode Island via the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Indian Ocean.

26 August 1922:
Arrives at Chefoo, China. Conducts training exercises with the United States Asiatic Fleet at Chefoo and at Tsingtao, China in the summer and at Manila, Philippines during in the winter months.

2 September 1923:
Departs Dairen, Manchuria for Yokosuka.

5 September 1923:
Arrives at Yokosuka and participates in the relief of the victims of the Great Kanto Earthquake at Yokosuka, Tokyo and surrounding areas.

21 September 1923:
Departs Yokosuka for Shanghai.

24 September 1923:
Arrives at Shanghai.

6 April 1924:
Seattle, WA. Four Army Air Corps Douglas World Cruiser biplane seaplanes named "Seattle", "Boston", "Chicago" and "New Orleans" take off on an around-the-world flight. Enroute, "Boston" and "Chicago" crash. Boston is replaced by "Boston II."

25 May 1924:
Tokyo. USS STEWART and other Asiatic Fleet destroyers support the flight.

16 June 1924:
Shanghai. USS STEWART again supports the flight.

28 September 1924:
"Seattle","Boston II" and "New Orleans" arrive back at Seattle completing a record 27,553 mile flight around-the-world.

January 1925:
USS STEWART transports elements of the USMC's 4th Regiment to Shanghai to safeguard US interests in the Shanghai/Yangtze area.

24 March 1927:
USS STEWART is at Shanghai when Chinese Communist troops attack foreigners at Nanking.

April-July 1927:
USS STEWART is stationed at Wuhu, Nanking, Shanghai, and Chenglin to protect American nationals and shipping along the Yangtze.

18 September 1931: The Manchurian ("Mukden") Incident:
The Japanese Kwantung army attacks the Chinese Army and soon conquers all of Manchuria.

28 January 1932: The "First Shanghai Incident":
The Shanghai Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF) of about 2,500 troops is dispatched to evict two divisions of the Chinese 19th Route Army from Shanghai, but on 1 February, the IJA is called in to assist the badly outnumbered SNLF. By the end of the month, IJA troops number 50,000 men.

1-3 February 1932:
USS STEWART is off the coast of China. She protects Americans at Swatow and Amoy.

9-24 February 1932:
USS STEWART again protects Americans at Swatow and Amoy.

26 February-23 May 1932:
USS STEWART moves to Shanghai to protects Americans and their interests in the area.

7 July 1937: The Marco Polo Bridge (First "China") Incident:
USS STEWART is at Tsingtao when at Lugouqiao, Japanese troops on night maneuvers at the bridge fire blank cartridges. Chinese troops fire back, but do not cause injuries. The Japanese discover a soldier missing and assume the Chinese captured him. They demand entry to Beijing to look for the soldier. The Chinese refuse. The Japanese shell the city. An undeclared war on China begins.

5 August-18 December 1937:
Rotates between Tsingtao and Shanghai.

21 February -21 March 1938:
Rotates between Tsingtao and Shanghai.

6 March - May 1939:
Ordered to Manila for patrol duties in the Philippines.

5 April 1940:
Cavite Navy Yard. Drydocked

1 June 1940:

7 July 1940:
At Tsingtao and nearby Yellow Sea ports.

23 September 1940:
Returns to Cavite. Remains in the Philippines.

November 1941:
Manila. LtCdr Harold P. Smith's USS STEWART is the flagship of Cdr Thomas H. Binford's DesDiv 58 consisting of USS PARROTT (DD-218), USS BULMER (DD-222) and USS BARKER (DD-213) based at Cavite Navy Yard.

27 November 1941:
USS STEWART is ordered to Tarakan Roads, Borneo.

8 December 1941:
Tarakan. USS STEWART and other ships of the U. S. Asiatic Fleet and Dutch ships receive news of the opening of hostilities by Japan.

Late December 1941:
USS STEWART escorts naval auxiliaries from the Philippines to Port Darwin, Australia.

20 January 1942:
USS STEWART and USS BARKER are ordered to Ratai Bay, Sumatra to escort troop convoy MS 2 that arrives that day from Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). The convoy consists of large British liner AQUITANIA transporting 3,500 Australian troops reinforcements for Singapore and escorting cruiser HMAS CANBERRA.

Since the Japanese hold air supremacy over Singapore and its approaches, it is decided to transfer the troops to smaller vessels. The troops are transferred to Dutch KPM steamers BOTH, REAEL, REYNST, VAN DER LIJN, VAN SWOLL, SLOET VAN DE BEELE, TAISHAN and a British ship. Cover during the transfer is provided by HMAS CANBERRA, light cruiser HMS DRAGON, destroyers USS STEWART, USS BARKER, HMAS VAMPIRE, HMS EXPRESS, Hr.Ms. VAN NES and patrol boats USS ISABEL and Hr.Ms. SOEMBA

21 January 1942:
The new convoy, now called as MS-2A, departs Ratai Bay for Singapore. Enroute, as the convoy nears the north end of the Sunda Strait, all of the escorts are detached except light cruiser Hr.Ms. JAVA and destroyer HMS THANET.

24 January 1942:
Arrives undamaged at Singapore.

3 February 1942:
Bunda Roads, Madura Island (near Surabaya), Java. USS STEWART is assigned to Dutch Rear Admiral Karel Doorman’s American-British-Dutch-Australian (ABDA) Striking Force. Doorman is in tactical command of the force comprised of light cruisers Hr.Ms. DE RUYTER (F) and Hr.Ms. TROMP, heavy cruiser USS HOUSTON (CA-30), light cruiser USS MARBLEHEAD (CL-12), old USN destroyers USS STEWART, USS EDWARDS, USS BARKER, USS BULMER, USS PAUL JONES, USS WHIPPLE and USS PILLSBURY and Dutch destroyers Hr.Ms. BANCKERT, Hr.Ms. PIET HEIN and Hr.Ms. VAN GHENT.

4 February 1942:
At midnight, Doorman leads his Striking Force out after receiving a report of a Japanese fleet in the southern end of Makassar Strait. They steam for Bandjermasin, southern Borneo, where a Japanese ship-born invasion from Balikpapan is expected. At 0935, off the eastern Kangean Islands, 37 twin-engine bombers are reported departing Kendari, Celebes for Surabaya. At 0949, four formations of nine bombers appear from the east. At 0954, nine bombers attack the two American cruisers, but this and another attack are beaten off with no damage suffered.

The third attack focuses on Captain Arthur G. Robinson’s USS MARBLEHEAD. Three bombs put her aft turret out of action and cause heavy damage. USS MARBLEHEAD settles by the bow and lists to starboard, but can still make 25 knots. USS HOUSTON takes one hit that disables her No. 3 aft 8-inch turret

At 1225, Doorman orders all ships westward. USS STEWART and USS EDWARDS screen USS MARBLEHEAD. At 1415, Doorman orders USS MARBLEHEAD and USS HOUSTON to proceed to Tjilatjap for repairs.

6 February 1942:
Early in the morning, USS STEWART, USS EDWARDS. USS MARBLEHEAD and USS HOUSTON arrive at Tjilatjap.

15 February 1942:
Bangka Strait. USS STEWART survives numerous air attacks. The Allied force retires.

16 February 1942:
STEWART is detached to refuel at Ratai Bay, Sumatra.

18 February 1942:The Battle of Badung Strait:
A Japanese convoy of two transports escorted by a light cruiser and eight destroyers lands a battalion of the IJA’s 48th Infantry Division on the island of Bali, Java against little resistance. During the day, B-17 "Flying Fortress" heavy bombers attack and severely damage transport SAGAMI MARU. The Japanese withdraw most of their force to the north, leaving four destroyers to guard the transports.

Rear Admiral Doorman decides to attack in three echelons. Dutch light cruiser Hr.Ms. TROMP and old USN destroyers USS STEWART, USS PARROTT, USS JOHN D. EDWARDS and USS PILLSBURY comprise the second echelon. At 2240, Dutch destroyer Hr.Ms. PIET HEIN is hit by torpedoes and gunfire from destroyer ASASHIO and goes down.

19 February 1942:
Sanur Roads anchorage off SE Bali. At 0136, USS STEWART and USS PARROTT each fire six torpedoes and USS PILLSBURY three into the anchorage, but all miss, or fail to detonate. At 0143, USS STEWART opens fire on two Japanese destroyers. OSHIO and ASASHIO reply with accurate fire. At 0146, USS STEWART is hit twice. Her boats are shot away, her torpedo racks and galley are hit and she suffers damage aft below the water line, opening her seams and flooding the steering engine room. Hr.Ms. TROMP gets hits on OSHIO.

IJN destroyers MICHISHIO and ARASHIO are detached from escorting transport SAGAMI MARU damaged by the B-17 strike the previous day. The two Japanese destroyers arrive at the scene of the ongoing battle, but MICHISHIO is caught in a crossfire between the Allied destroyers. USS EDWARDS, USS PILLSBURY and USS TROMP all hit MICHISHIO and heavily damage her. She goes dead in the water. Later ASASHIO tows her to Makassar. Meanwhile, shot-up USS STEWART is able to continue and returns to Surabaya in the morning.

22 February 1942:
Surabaya. USS STEWART enters a 15,500-ton floating drydock for repairs, but the destroyer is not adequately supported and falls off the keel blocks onto her side when the dock is flooded. Her port propeller shaft is bent and she suffers further damage to her hull. That same day, USS STEWART’s crew leaves the port and authorities set off two 80-lb demolition charges, of which the one in USS STEWART’s sonar compartment caused most of the damage. Later, a Japanese bomb hits amidships further damaging USS STEWART. The drydock is scuttled with USS STEWART inside.

2 March 1942:
The port of Surabaya is evacuated.

February 1943:
The drydock and the hulk of USS STEWART are refloated by the newly-established No. 102 Repair Facility at Surabaya. Constructor Lt Fukui Shizuo participates in USS STEWART's restoration and refurbishment. Her American armament is replaced by two ex-Dutch Army 75-mm AA guns, two 12.7-mm AA guns and two 3rd Year Type 6.5-mm machine guns. Type 94 depth-charge thrower and Type 2 Mk. 2 rails, Type 93 sonar and 72 depth-charges (83 in overload condition) are carried as anti-submarine equipment. Her two forefunnels are trunked together.

15 June 1943:
Surabaya, Java. Ex-USS STEWART is designated patrol boat PB-102. Lt Mizutani Tamotsu is her prospective Commanding Officer.

September 1943:
The ship is thoroughly cleaned and fumigated prior to the arrival of the crew.

20 September 1943:
The repair is officially completed, but work continues. PB-102 is registered in the IJN. Lt Mizutani is CO. Lt (j. g.) Okubo Tsurayuki is XO.

26-27 September 1943:
Embarks fuel, fresh water and provisions.

28 September 1943:
Departs Surabaya for the first sea trial run, returning the next day.

11 October 1943:
Departs Surabaya for weapons trials at 0900, returns on that same day at 1755.

18 October 1943:
At 1452, PB-102 departs Surabaya for Balikpapan, Borneo escorting oilers KENYO and NICHIEI MARUs.

20 October 1943:
At 0900, arrives at Balikpapan. Embarks fuel and provisions. Departs at 1225, escorting GENYO and AZUMA MARUs to Truk. Enroute, a periscope is spotted. PB-102 conducts a depth-charge attack.

22 October 1943:
At 1649 arrives back at Balikpapan.

25 October 1943:
At 0630 departs Balikpapan escorting KENYO MARU but detaches and returns to port at 1742.

30 October 1943:
At 0725 departs Balikpapan escorting TARUSHIMA MARU to Macassar.

31 October 1943:
PB-102 is detached near Macassar.

1 November 1943:
At 1855 arrives back at Balikpapan.

4 November 1943:
At 7000, departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep.

5 November 1943:
Around 8000, at N01.30-E120.05 meets up wit auxiliary oiler AKEBONO MARU and starts escorting her.

6 November 1943:
At 0830, AKEBONO MARU arrives at Balikpapan and at 1134 PB-102 arrives at Balikpapan. At 1457 departs for Tarakan.

7 November 1943:
At 1000 arrives at Tarakan.

8 November 1943:
At 1000 departs Tarakan. At 1900 arrives on the sinking scene of tanker TANGO MARU (ex Dutch TALANG AKAR) and takes on board survivors from escort auxiliary submarine chaser CHa-41.

9 November 1943:
At 2050 arrives back at Balikpapan.

10 November 1943:
Departs Balikpapan, for Baru Bay on an anti submarine sweep.

11 November 1943:
At 0145, PB-102 is attacked by a submarine. She evades one torpedo at high speed and the second grazes her port propeller without exploding. At 1845 arrives back at Balikpapan. [1]

14 November 1943:
At 0000 departs Balikpapan escorting a convoy consisting of TANGO MARU (ex Dutch TOENJOEK) and SEITO MARU (ex British CHENGTU).

16 November 1943:
At 1350 arrives at Surabaya.

17-22 November 1943:
Surabaya. Drydocked at No. 1 Dry-dock in No. 103 Repair Facility in Surabaya, where a new propeller is cast and fitted.

4-13 December 1943:
Drydocked at No. 103 Repair Facility for starboard propeller calibration work.

15 December 1943:
At 1500 departs Surabaya escorting transport TANGO MARU (ex Dutch TOENDJOEK) bound for Laut Is.

17 December 1943:
Arrives at Kota Baru and hands over escort to auxiliary submarine chaser SHONAN MARU No.2. At 1715 PB-102 arrives at Balikpapan.

19 December 1943:
At 0600 departs Balikpapan escorting a convoy consisting of OMINE, OKUYO, HOKUSHIN and FUKUYO MARUs as far as the Aru Bank. Meets up with KIYOKAWA MARU inbound to Balikpapan and arrives back at Balikpapan at 1700.

20 December 1943:
At 0700 departs Balikpapan escorting a convoy consisting of SHINKOKU and SUITEN MARUs to Aru Bank. At 1710 arrives back at Balikpapan.

21 December 1943:
At 1900 departs Balikpapan and off Mangakalihat meets a convoy consisting of tankers FUJISAN, SHOYU MARUs and OGURA MARU No. 3 inward bound from Tarakan.

23 December 1943:
At 2000 arrives at Balikpapan.

26 December 1943:
At 0800 departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep and returns at 1800.

29 December 1943:
At 0800 PB-102 departs Balikpapan, Borneo for Truk via Palau escorting a convoy consisting of oilers AKEBONO, FUJISAN and SHINKOKU MARUs.

2 January 1944:
At 0700, PB-102 is detached from the convoy. At 130 degrees E longitude, PB-102 takes over escort duties of convoy consisting of oilers KYOKUTO and NICHIEI MARUs enroute from Truk to Surabaya.

5 January 1944:
At 0800 PB-102 arrives at Balikpapan. The convoy proceeds to Surabaya arriving the next day.

8 January 1944:
At 1700, PB-102 departs Balikpapan for Palau with destroyers SHIMAKAZE and HAYANAMI escorting the "KU" convoy consisting of oilers NIPPON, KENYO and KOKUYO MARUs. PB-102 provides escort only at the start of the journey.

12 January 1944:
At 3-38N 131-11E PB-102 is detached.

13 January 1944:
At 0940 arrives at Palau.

14 January 1944:
At 0550 departs Palau. At 1200, at 08-56N 134-30E, joins tanker NISSHO MARU that left Truk 10 January escorted by destroyer TANIKAZE and escorted the ship back to the NEI.

19 January 1944:
At 1200 arrives at Balikpapan.

20 January 1944:
At 0700 departs Balikpapan escorting KAGU MARU bound for Bintan Island. At 1740, after detaching from escort, arrives back at Balikpapan.

22 January 1944:
At 1315 departs Balikpapan escorting tanker OKIKAWA MARU and Naval tanker ASHIZURI.

25 January 1944:
At 1500 PB-102 arrives back at Balikpapan.

28 January 1944:
At 0600 departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep in the Macassar Straits.

2 February 1944:
At 0925 arrives back at Balikpapan.

6 February 1944:
At 2120 departs Balikpapan.

7 February 1944:
At 1900 arrives at Tarakan.

8 February 1944:
At 0800 departs Tarakan and at 1825 arrives at Bongao.

9 February 1944:
At 0653 departs Bongao on an anti submarine sweep.

10 February 1944:
At 1440 arrives back at Bongao.

11 February 1944:
At 0300 departs Bongao and at 1600 arrives at Tarakan.

13 February 1944:
At 1900 departs Tarakan.

16 February 1944:
At 1200 arrives at Zamboanga.

17 February 1944:
At 1750 departs Zamboanga.

21 February 1944:
At 1500 arrives at Balikpapan. Remains there for the rest of the month.

1 March 1944:
At 1000 departs Balikpapan escorting convoy O-102 consisting of NASUSAN and HAVRE MARUs.

3 March 1944:
Arrives at Tarakan.

5 March 1944:
At 1650 departs Balikpapan with PB-36 escorting convoy O-502 consisting of tanker NASUSAN MARU and cargo ship HAVRE MARU.

6 March 1944:
At 1800 HAVRE MARU and PB-102 separates from the convoy. At some point storeship ARASAKI joins the convoy.

7 March 1944:
At 1820 NASUSAN MARU and PB-36 arrives at Tarakan.

9 March 1944:
En route from Balikpapan to Palau, escorting ARASAKI and HAVRE MARU in convoy O-601. At 2336, attacked by a submarine. One torpedo passes 20 meters behind her stern, the second hits port side abaft the bridge, but does not explode.

12 March 1944:
At 1000 arrives at Palau.

14 March 1944:
At Palau. PB-102’s damage is inspected by divers from repair ship AKASHI.

15 March 1944:
At 0845 departs Palau escorting a convoy consisting of storeships ARASAKI and KITAKAMI MARU.

18 March 1944:
At 0855 arrives at Davao.

19 March 1944:
At 1200 departs Davao on an anti submarine sweep.

21 March 1944:
At 0830 arrives at Tarakan.

22 March 1944:
At 0745, PB-102 departs Tarakan with subchaser CH-4 escorting a convoy consisting of NASUSAN, SEITO, ANJO and SHONAN MARUs. At 2240, the convoy is attacked by a submarine. PB-102 evades two incoming torpedoes from the starboard side.

24 March 1944:
At 1150, arrives at Balikpapan.

25 March 1944:
At 0720 departs Balikpapan escorting tanker KYOKUTO MARU. At 1800 returns to Balikpapan.

29 March 1944:
At 1840 departs Balikpapan escorting tankers GENYO and KOKUYO MARUs together with destroyers HAYANAMI and HAMANAMI and kaibokan KANJU (the latter unconfirmed).

31 March 1944:
At 1020 arrives at unknown location Si-a-mi-ru.

1 April 1944:
At 0400 departs unknown location and soon after arrives at Balikpapan.

7 April 1944:
At 1215 departs Balikpapan on an anti submarine sweep.

9 April 1944:
At 1022 arrives at Tarakan and departs at 1755 escorting tanker NASUSAN MARU.

11 April 1944:
At 1654 arrives at Balikpapan.

13 April 1944:
At 0900, PB-102 departs Balikpapan for Zamboanga, Mindanao with auxiliary minesweeper Wa-106 escorting a convoy consisting of JAMBI and BUGEN (ex Philippine KOLAMBUGAN) MARUs.

15 April 1944:
At 0835, arrives at Tolitoli, NW Celebes.

16 April 1944:
At 0252, departs Tolitoli. Arrives at Tarakan, Borneo that same day.

17 April 1944:
At 0657, departs Tarakan.

19 April 1944:
At 0935 arrives at Zamboanga.

21 April 1944:
At 1200 departs Zamboanga and at 1755 arrives at Jolo.

22 April 1944:
At 0959 departs Jolo. At 1850 arrives at Bangao.

23 April 1944:
At 0635 departs Bangao.

24 April 1944:
At 0146 arrives at Tarakan and departs there at 1220.

27 April 1944:
At 1100 arrives at Manila.

30 April 1944:
Departs Manila when her No. 3 boiler develops trouble. Returns to Manila for boiler water tube replacement.

1 May 1944:
Repairs are completed. Departs Manila at 0400 escorting Take Convoy consisting of ADEN, TAJIMA, AMATSUSAN, YOZAN, TEIKAI, KAZUURA, BRAZIL and MITSUKI MARUs with escorts now consisting of PB-102 and PB-104, auxiliary netlyer KOREI MARU, submarine chaser CH-38, minelayer SHIRATAKA and destroyers FIJINAMI and SHIRATSUYU. Tanker JAMBI MARU apparently also joins for part of the way.

6 May 1944:
N Celebes Sea. About 0800, lookouts aboard LtCdr Charles H. Andrews’ (USNA ’30) USS GURNARD (SS-254) spot SHIRATAKA's coal-burning smoke at 19 miles. By 1400 (JST), Andrews completes an "end-around" and gains an attack position on convoy Take No. 1. At 1402, FUJINAMI discovers a submarine. Andrews sets up carefully and fires two three-torpedo salvos at the transports. TAJIMA, ADEN and AMATSUSAN (TENSHINZAN) MARUs are hit and the first two sink quickly. AMATSUSAN (TENSHINZAN) MARU is set on fire but remains afloat. TAJIMA MARU takes down 58 of 2701 troops, three crewmen and nine gunners. ADEN MARU takes down 499 troops, 12 crewmen and four gunners.

The escorts launch a heavy counterattack against USS GURNARD. Andrews evades 98 depth charges, after which the escorts break off their attack. USS GURNARD surfaces and finds one of the transports burning, but still afloat. About midnight, USS GURNARD shells the transport with her four-inch deck gun, but she still does not sink. Andrews then fires another torpedo that finally sinks AMATSUSAN (TENSHINZAN) MARU. 95 out of 212 soldiers on board are killed.

7 May 1944:
At 1059 arrives at Bangka.

8 May 1944:
At 0500 departs Bangka. At 1555, PB-102 sights an enemy periscope. She starts an anti submarine attack and drops 3 depth charges.

9 May 1944:
At 1824 arrives at Wasile Bay.

10 May 1944:
At 0904 departs Wasile Bay and at 1130 arrives at Kau Bay.

11 May 1944:
At 0652 departs Kau Bay and at 0816 arrives at Wasile Bay, Halmahera when No. 1 boiler tubes develop a severe leak.

13 May 1944:
At 0555 departs Wasile Bay, Halmahera to escort a Manila-bound convoy (Take return), when No. 4 boiler tubing breaks down.

At 0355, PB-102 departs Wasile Bay with minelayer SHIRATAKA, auxiliary netlayer KOREI MARU, subchaser CH-38 and patrol boat PB-104 escorting Take return convoy consisting of TEIKAI (ex German FULDA), MITSUKI, KAZUURA, BRAZIL MARUs, newly joined ATLAS MARU (and possibly YOZAN MARU).

14 May 1944:
Arrives at Lembeh Straits, Celebes. The damage to No. 4 boiler is repaired during an overnight stay.

15 May 1944:
No. 4 boiler tubing breaks down again, followed by No. 2 boiler breakdown the next day, when No. 4 is brought online.

17 May 1944:
Boilers Nos. 3 and 4 develop new leaks.

19 May 1944:
Nos. 3 and 4 boiler repairs are completed.

20 May 1944:
No. 2 boiler repairs are completed. At 2105, the convoy arrives at Manila.

21 May 1944:
At 1215 proceeds from Manila to Cavite arriving at 1320 for repairs to No. 3 boiler.

27 May 1944:
Repairs are completed. At 1606 departs Cavite for Manila Bay.

28 May 1944:
At 1300, PB-102 departs Manila with PB-104 (ex-Dutch Hr.Ms. VALK), destroyer TSUGA, subchaser CH-38 and auxiliary netlayer KOREI MARU escorting convoy H-27 consisting of SHINNO, KOHOKU, KOSEI, MURORAN, SHIROGANESAN, TAIYU, TEIYU (ex Italian CARIGNANO) and JUZAN MARUs and KOSHU MARU No. 1.

1 June 1944:
Departs Jolo. Boilers Nos. 3 and 4 break down, but are repaired during the next two days.

3 June 1944:
At 2044, arrives at Bangka anchorage, NE Celebes. Attempts boiler repairs.

4 June 1944:
At 0555, departs Bangka, but has to return because of a new boiler breakdown.

7 June 1944:
At 0544, PB-102 departs Bangka with old destroyer TSUGA, PB-104 and CH-38 escorting a convoy H-27 consisting of KEIAN, KOHOKU, MURORAN, SHINNO and SHIROGANESAN, TAIYU, TEIYU (ex Italian CARIGNANO) and JUZAN MARUs and KOSHU MARU No. 1.

8 June 1944:
At 1606, the convoy arrives at Wasile, Halmahera.

11 June 1944:
At 1614 PB-102 and PB-104 depart Kau Bay, Halmahera with old destroyer TSUGA, subchasers CH-21 and CH-38, auxiliary netlayer KOREI MARU and auxiliary gunboat KAZAN MARU escorting convoy M-22 consisting of AKAGISAN, KOAN, SORACHI, SHIROGANESAN, YOZAN and TAIYU MARUs and YOSHIDA MARU No. 3.

12 June 1944:
TSUGA and CH-38 are detached for Davao.

14 June 1944:
At 1003, LtCdr Willard R. Laughon's (USNA ’33) USS RASHER (SS-269) torpedoes and sinks KOAN MARU at 04-33N, 122-23E. One ship's gunner and 13 crewmen are killed. The ship’s Captain remained on the bridge as the ship sank and the fore-post mast pulled him below the surface.

15 June 1944:
At 0304 arrives at Jolo.

17 June 1944:
At 0807 departs Jolo for Manila.

20 June 1944:
At 0925, arrives at Manila. At 1447 proceeds from Manila to Cavite.

27 June to 3 July 1944:
Cavite. Drydocked for repairs. Her galley and depth-charge magazine are rebuilt and sonar repaired.

31 July 1944:
All works are completed. Embarks ammunition and provisions.

22 August 1944:
Departs Cavite for compass calibration trials, then proceeds to Manila arriving at 1143.

23 August 1944:
Cdr Samuel D. Dealey’s (USNA ’30) USS HARDER (SS-257) and LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Chester W. Nimitz' (USNA ’36) USS HADDO (SS-255) are trailing 1TL tanker NIYO MARU, a straggler from convoy TAMA-24A from Takao to Manila, that is towing old destroyer ASAKAZE towards Dasol Bay. About 0700. USS HADDO torpedoes and sinks ASAKAZE at 16-6N, 119-44 E. Nimitz' USS HADDO, out of torpedoes, is detached and heads for Biak. NIYO MARU radios Manila of her situation. That evening, headquarters, Third Expeditonary Fleet dispatches CD-22 and PB-102 to intercept her. At 1757, they both depart Manila. PB-102, steaming at 13 knots, first finds NIYO MARU. CD-22 joins them later. During the sortie, PB-102's No. 4 boiler breaks down again and is repaired after eight hours.

24 August 1944:
At 0630, as USS HARDER and LtCdr Frank E. Haylor’s (USNA ’36) USS HAKE (SS-256) close Dasol Bay, Haylor makes out a three-stack ship and a smaller one coming out of the bay. Haylor consults his ONI 41-42 naval-intelligence warship recognition booklet. He incorrectly identifies three-stack PB-102 as old Thai destroyer PHRA RUANG and also misidentifies kaibokan CD-22 as a minesweeper. The ships turn and seem to be coming in for a depth-charge run. As they come out of the harbor, the crews of PB-102 and CD-22 see the submarines' two periscopes. PB-102's captain turns about and heads back into Dasol Bay, but CD-22 comes straight on. [2]

LtCdr Haylor does not like the setup, so USS HAKE breaks off, but USS HARDER continues in towards the bay. While PB-102 is escorting NIYO MARU, CD-22 suddenly comes under a torpedo attack. Cdr Dealey fires three torpedoes at CD-22 in a down-the-throat attack, but misses. Two torpedoes pass off CD-22's port side and one off her starboard side. After evading the torpedoes, CD-22 detects USS HARDER with her Type 3 sonar. At 0728, CD-22 commences a a series of depth charge runs with her Type 94 DC throwers with each charge set to detonate deeper than the last. The fifth salvo sinks USS HARDER with all hands. A large amount of oil, pieces of cork and wood surface thereafter. CD-22 soon departs the area to catch up with PB-102 and NIYO MARU. At 1948, all three arrive at Manila. [3]

24 August 1944:
No. 2 boiler breaks down and is repaired in five hours.

27 August 1944:
At 0900 departs Manila and at 1548 arrives at Subic Bay.

28 August 1944:
At 0600 departs Subic Bay.

29 August 1944:
PB-102 joins kaibokan ETOROFU, SHIMUSHU, SHONAN, CD-7 and CD-28 and subchaser CH-41 and escorting convoy MAMO-02 that departed Manila on 27 August consisting of KASHII, NISSHO and NOTO MARUs and IJA landing craft depot ship MAYASAN MARU.

31 August 1944:
At 0800, arrives at Takao. Destroyers WAKABA and HATSUSHIMO join the escort and PB-102, CD-7, CD-28 and subchaser CH-41 are detached. That night Takao harbor is raided by US torpedo planes. PB-102 fires 47 rounds from 75-mm guns, 678 rounds from 12.7-mm machine guns and 410 rounds from 7.7-mm machine guns.

1 September 1944:
Further air raid on Takao. PB-102 fires back with her AA guns.

3 September 1944:
At 0700 departs Takao escorting KYUKO, SAIHO and an unidentified merchant ship (possibly TATSUSHO MARU).

4 September 1944:
At 1240 arrives at Kirun.

5 September 1944:
At 0920 PB-102 departs Kirun (Keelung) for Moji with patrol boat PB-104 and subchaser CH-21 escorting convoy TAMO-25 consisting of SAIHO, MITSUKI, ATLAS, KOKKA, HENGSHAN, MEIRYU, TATSUSHO and TATSUTAMA MARUs. KOKKA MARU runs aground shortly after leaving Keelung. Later, she is refloated and returns to Keelung.

10 September 1944:
At 1952 arrives at Moji. Immediately after arriving, departs Moji.

11 September 1944:
At 1550 PB-102 proceeds to Kure.

19 September 1944:
At 1200 proceeds from Kure to Muko Jima arriving at 1730.

20-28 September 1944:
Muko Jima. Docked in No. 3 Drydock. Three Type 96 25-mm AA guns (1x2, 1x1), one Type 81 and one Type 94 depth-charge thrower, a new Type 93 sonar and a radar detector are installed.

September 1944:
Muko Jima, near Kure. Undergoes repairs and modification. The trunked forefunnel is retained, but all stacks are lowered and extra ballast added to reduce her center of gravity. She is fitted with a light tripod foremast to which an air search radar is added. A surface search radar is fitted on top of the bridge. Her ex-Dutch armament is replaced with Japanese 80-mm (3.1-inch) AA guns fore and aft. 12 more Type 96 25-mm AA guns are also fitted. One of her damaged boilers is repaired so that three of her four boilers are operable. PB-102 can now make 26 knots. She carries 72 depth charges.

28 September 1944:
At 1113 departs Muko Jima and at 1552 arrives at Kure.

3 October 1944:
At 0800 departs Kure.

4 October 1944:
At 0846 arrives at Moji.

8 October 1944:
At 0946 departs Moji.

9 October 1944:
At 1346 arrives at Miike.

15 October 1944:
At 1316 departs Miike and at 1912 arrives at Tachibana Wan.

16 October 1944:
At 0235 departs Tachibana Wan and at 0814 arrives at Sasebo.

18 October 1944:
At 0700, patrol boat PB-38 (ex-DD YOMOGI) departs Imari Bay near Sasebo via Cape St. Jacques, Indo-China for Miri with kaibokan CD-14, CD-20 CD-34, CD-39 and CD-46 escorting convoy MI-23 consisting of EBARA, MUNAKATA, HIKACHI (NISSHO), MATSUMOTO, KOSHIN, EININ, RITSUEI, YAMASONO, ENREKI, SHOEI, HIROTA, UNSEN, YOKAI and SHIROTAE MARUs, survey ship HAKUSA and YUZAN MARU No. 2. At 0952 PB-102 departs Sasebo and at 1721 meets up with the convoy.

20 October 1944:
Anchors in a bay off South Korea.

22 October 1944:
At the Shushan anchorage, E of Shanghai.

23 October 1944:
At 0715 departs Shushan anchorage.

24 October 1944:
75 miles ENE of Foochow, China. At 1000, PB-102 and patrol boat PB-38 are detached for Takao escorting HIROTA, UNSEN and YOKAI MARUs.

25 October 1944:
At 1640 arrives at Saei, Formosa.

26 October 1944:
At 1245 departs Saei to assist convoy MOMA-05 en route from Moji to Manila.

27 October 1944:
Arrives at Mako, Pescadores.

29 October 1944:
At 1523, USN codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message from minesweeper W-38 that reads: "Minesweeper No. 38 and Patrol Boat No. 102, now escorting the damaged vessel DAIHAKU MARU will leave San Fernando about the 1st -----.”

The ships later arrive at Lapoc Bay.

30 October 1944:
At 0530 departs Lapoc Bay and at 1517 arrives at San Fernando. DAIHAKU MARU is beached.

31 October 1944:
At 0040 departs San Fernando. At 1300 arrives at Camiguin and departs at 1600.

1 November 1944:
At 1519 arrives at Takao. At 1721 departs Takao and at 1825 arrives at Saei.

2 November 1944:
At 0914 departs Saei and at 1027 arrives back at Takao.

3 November 1944:
At 1500 departs Takao to assist ATLAS MARU in convoy MOMA-06 that has been torpedoed and is drifting.

6 November 1944:
At 1200 PB-102 meets up with convoy HO-04 sailing from Takao en route to Hong Kong also escorted by PB-38 consisting of nine unidentified merchant ships. At 2400, for unknown reasons, the convoy turns back to Takao.

7 November 1944:
At 0831 arrives at Saei. Later departs and at 1419 arrives at Takao.

9 November 1944:
At 0700 departs Takao to undertake a sweep to assist inbound cruiser AOBA and returns soon after.

10 November 1944:
At 0652 departs Takao escorting convoy TAMA-31B consisting of MANJU MARU, and LSTs T-159 and four other unidentifieds also escorted by patrol boat PB-38, minesweeper W-38, submarine chaser CH-43, auxiliary submarine chasers CHa-74, CHa-83, SHOWA MARU No. 2 and auxiliary patrol boat KOCHI MARU. MANJU MARU is carrying elements of Lt Yamazaki’s 7th Shinyo Squadron.

11 November 1944:
At 1612 arrives off Saei.

13 November 1944:
At 0129 departs Saei. At 2326 arrives off Haikow.

15 November 1944:
At 1743 departs Haikow.

16 November 1944:
SHOWA MARU No. 2 and KOCHI MARU are detached. At 1428 arrives at Sabtang Island.

17 November 1944:
At 0628 departs Sabtang Island.

18 November 1944:
At 0006 arrives at Musa Bay and departs there at 0629. At 1623 arrives at Currimao.

19 November 1944:
At 0157 departs Currimao. At 0440 arrives at Santiago and later departs. At 1820 arrives back at Currimao.

20 November 1944:
At 1057 departs Currimao. At 1550 arrives at San Fernando and departs at 1821.

21 November 1944:
At 1524 arrives at Manila.

23 November 1944:
At 0952, PB-102 departs Manila for Takao with patrol boat PB-38 and subchaser CH-33 escorting convoy MATA-34 consisting only of MANJU MARU.

24 November 1944:
Luzon Strait, 100 miles N of Cape Engano. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral/COMSUBPAC) John H. Maurer’s (USNA ’35) submerged USS ATULE (SS-403) sights a transport and three escorts heading NW toward Sabtang Island. At dark, Maurer surfaces and sets course so as to intercept the transport shortly after midnight.

25 November 1944:
At about 0125, as USS ATULE is setting up on the transport, one of the escorts also moves into periscope view. Maurer fires his six bow tubes at the overlapping targets, then turns the boat about and fires his two stern tubes. USS ATULE scores two hits on each target. PB-38 disintegrates. MANJU MARU is hit aft in hold No. 5 and goes dead in the water. At about 0516, MANJU MARU sinks by the stern at 20-14N, 121-40 E. About 700 of the 1300 military passengers on board (including many survivors of the battleship MUSASHI) are lost as well as 24 crewmen.

26 November 1944:
At 1011 arrives at Saei.

27 November 1944:
At 1448 departs Saei and at 1533 arrives at Takao.

30 November 1944:
Takao. At 2032 PB-102 and MIRI MARU join convoy HI-83 that arrives at 0600 from Moji. Three ships are detached from the convoy for Manila.

1 December 1944:
At 0317 PB-102 departs Saei and off Takao for Singapore meets up with kaibokan CD-35, CD-63, CD-64 and CD-207 escorting HI-83 now consisting of tankers KYOKUUN, SEISHIN, HARIMA, TOA, EISHO and MIRI MARUs. Escort carrier KAIYO also joins the convoy from Saei.

3 December 1944:
At 0535, MIRI MARU opens fire at a surfaced submarine and drives it under. At about 0600, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Frank W. Fenno’s (USNA ’25) USS PAMPANITO (SS-383) torpedoes and damages SEISHIN MARU.

At 0607, LtCdr (later Cdr) William N. Deragon's (USNA ’34) USS PIPEFISH (SS-388) torpedoes and hits CD-64 under the bridge. She catches fire, breaks in two and sinks. CD-63 races down the torpedoes' tracks and drops 28 depth-charges, but USS PIPEFISH evades them. The convoy breaks up and each ship independently retreats towards Hainan Island.

5 December 1944:
At about 1000, PB-102 discovers previously torpedoed SEISHIN MARU that ran aground. At 1630, MIRI MARU takes SEISHIN MARU under tow.

6 December 1944:
At 1200, the three ships arrive at Brandon Bay, Indochina. At 1730, PB-102 and MIRI MARU depart.

7 December 1944:
At 1300, PB-102 and MIRI MARU arrive at Yulin, Hainan Island and rejoin convoy HI-83.

8 December 1944:
At 1700 departs Yulin with the convoy.

9 December 1944:
At 2040 HI-83 arrives at Quinhon, French Indochina.

10 December 1944:
At 0558 the convoy departs Quinhon.

13 December 1944:
At 1848 HI-83 arrives at Seletar Naval Base, Singapore.

18 December 1944:
At 0826 departs Singapore and later meets up with fast tankers RYOEI MARU and AMATO MARU (from TASA-18) escorted by minelayer NIIZAKI in convoy SASHI-38.

21 December 1944:
At 1300 the convoy arrives at Singapore but PB-102 is detached before arrival.

23 December 1944:
At 1001 PB-102 arrives back at Singapore.

25 December 1944:
At 0851 departs Singapore but returns at 1332.

26 December 1944:
At 1158, PB-102 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier KAIYO, minelayer NIIZAKI, kaibokan OKINAWA, CD-25, CD-207 and CD-63 escorting convoy HI-84 consisting of transports IKUTAGAWA and AWA MARUs, oilers AKASHI, TOA, RYOEI and MIRI MARUs and two unidentified ships. AWA MARU carries about 525 British, American and Australian POWs.

29 December 1944:
At 1157, HI-84 arrives at Cape St. Jacques (near Saigon) and departs at 1625 the same day. AKASHI and IKUTAGAWA MARUs remain behind. CD-27 and CD-34 join the convoy at this point.

30 December 1944:
South China Sea. HI-84 passes CarDiv 4's hybrid battleship/carriers ISE and HYUGA, cruisers OYODO and ASHIGARA, DesDiv 2's ASASHIMO and DesDiv 18's KASUMI that are enroute south from Camranh Bay. Later that day at 1157, HI-84 arrives at Binhoang Bay, Indochina.

31 December 1944:
At 0745, HI-84 departs Binhoang Bay. Soon after departure, LtCdr Otis R. Cole's (USNA ’36) USS DACE (SS-247) fires three torpedoes at KAIYO, but gets no hits. There is no counterattack, as the convoy seems unaware of the attack. At 1804, HI-84 arrives at Quinhon, Indochina.

1 January 1945:
At 0057 departs Quinhon.

2 January 1945:
At 0105 arrives at Tourane.

3 January 1945:
At 0755 departs Tourane. Later S of Hainan Island. MIRI MARU strikes a mine and her engine room floods. She is left behind, but manages to reach Hong Kong.

5 January 1945:
At 1840, convoy HI-84 arrives at the Hong Kong area and departs at 1937.

9 January 1945:
At 1120 arrives at Chusan Retto, E of Shanghai.

10 January 1945:
At 0720 departs Chusan Retto.

13 January 1945:
At 1725, arrives at Moji.

14 January 1945:
In the morning at 0820, departs Moji for Kure. Arrives there at 1518.

14 January-13 March 1945:
Kure. Undergoes repair and refit. All boiler water tubes are replaced by new ones (14,253 in all). Other machinery items are also replaced. Both 75-mm guns are replaced by 3rd Year Type 76-mm AA guns. Six Type 96 25-mm AA guns (3 x 2) are added. One 60-cm searchlight of Dutch origin is landed.

9 to 24 February 1945:
Drydocked in No. 4 Drydock for hull repairs, Type 3 sonar and Type 99 hydrophone installation. Both Type 93 sonars are removed.

13 to 20 February 1945:
All stacks are lowered by 650 mm. A light tripod foremast is fitted. Type 22 surface radar is fitted to the bridge and Type 13 air-search radar to the new foremast.

14 March 1945:
Departs Kure for Sasebo, stopping at Moji later that day at 1200.

17 March 1945:
At 1500 departs Moji for Sasebo.

18 March 1945:
At 1630 arrives at Sasebo.

6 April 1945:
Departs Sasebo for Fukue escorting KASHIMA and SEIGA MARUs, arriving on the same day at 1704.

7 April 1945:
At 2203 departs Fukue for Kure.

10 April 1945:
Departs Kure for Surabaya, carrying maximum load of 25-mm AA ammunition.

11 April 1945:
Receives a new order to join a convoy enroute to Chejudo (former Quelpart) Island. Later, PB-102 is redirected to Shanghai.

12 April 1945:
Arrives at Ssu Chiao Shan (Sijiao island), Chusan (Zhoushan) archipelago, E of Shanghai. Conducts ASW exercises until 25 April.

26 April 1945:
Coast of China. At 0800, departs Sijiao island for Moji with destroyer ASAGAO, kaibokan SAKITO, YASHIRO, UKU, CD-26 and CD-41, minesweeper W-29 and subchaser CH-20 escorting convoy SHIMO-03 consisting of KASHIMA, BANSHU, ABUKUMAGAWA, SHINTON and TAIKYU MARUs and NANRYU MARU No. 9.

27 April 1945:
Yellow Sea. Off Moppo (Mopko), S Korea. PB-102 is detached from SHIMO-03 for an anti-submarine sweep. At 0849, 1048 and 2228 she engages PBY "Catalina“ flying boats shadowing the convoy. [4]

At 2234, PB-102's sonar operator picks up a suspicious contact. PB-102 and UKU are detached from SHIMO-03 to investigate. They are attacked by two PBYs at low level. PB-102's gunners shoot one down during the first pass. The other PBY retires, after dropping her bombs and strafing the decks of PB-102 and UKU at 34-52N, 124-23E.

PB-102's hull is peppered by bomb fragments, opening about 100 holes. Her Type 22 surface-search radar antenna is also damaged and a rudder cable severed. At 2300, the helmless ship is attacked by another flying boat, followed by a new attack at 2307.

28 April 1945:
At 1032, 1224 and 1715, PB-102 engages aircraft attempting to attack the convoy. A total of nine sailors and one passenger are killed in air attacks. Thirty sailors are wounded. The dead are buried at sea. Later that day, arrives at Moji.

1 May 1945:
Reassigned to the Kure Navy District. At 1905 anchors off Yuya Wan with minesweeper W-29 and tanker NANRYU MARU No. 9.

2 May 1945:
At 0610 the ships depart Yuya Wan and at 1201 arrive at Moji.

3 May 1945:
At 0800 departs Moji and at 1557 arrives at Kure. Roll call is conducted the next day. Makeshift repairs at Kure Navy Yard continue until mid-May.

17 May 1945:
PB-102 is appointed flagship of the Kure Guard Unit. At 0730, Rear Admiral Kiyota Takahiko (42) (former CO of NACHI), CO of the Kure Guard Unit, transfers his staff to PB-102. [5]

20-28 May 1945:
Type 13 air-search radar is replaced.

2 June 1945:
Two torpedo drop collars are fitted.

11 June 1945:
At 0902 departs Kure for Saeki, carrying 134 pilots and ground crew members of the Saeki NAG. Arrives the same day at 1541 and anchors at Onyu Jima pier at 1801.

21 June 1945:
At Saeki. Most of the crew is assigned to shore duties, digging air raid shelters.

Late July 1945:
LtCdr Mizutani is transferred to the HQ of Yokosuka Naval Base. [6]

15 August 1945:
At Saeki. Ordered to proceed to Kure.

Late August 1945:
Arrives at Hiro Bay E of Kure with a reduced crew. PB-102 is inspected by three US naval officers soon after her arrival. They find her in a rat-infested, decrepit condition. The Japanese are ordered to thoroughly clean, fumigate and paint the ship. The officers hoist the American flag over the reclaimed ship.

28 October 1945:
Taken over by a USN prize crew.

29 October 1945:
Kure. Vice Admiral (Admiral-Ret) Jesse B. Oldendorf (USNA ’09) (of Surigao Strait), COMSOWESTJAPFOR, reads the order recommissioning ex-USS STEWART in the United States Navy simply as "DD-224" since the name STEWART was reassigned to new destroyer escort USS STEWART (DE-238). LtCdr Harold H. Ellison is the Commanding Officer of DD-224.

2 November 1945:
Departs Kure for engine trials and develops 20 knots.

8 November 1945:
Departs Hiro Bay for Okinawa.

10 November 1945:
Arrives at Buckner Bay, Okinawa. Refuels.

11 November 1945:
Departs Okinawa for Guam with USS WESSON (DE-184).

17 November 1945:
Fuel pump problems cause DD-224 to be taken in tow by WESSON to Apra harbor, Guam.

10 December 1945:
Repairs are completed. Departs Guam for Eniwetok Island with SC-1036.

20 December 1945:
Arrives at Eniwetok under tow by tug ATR-20.

4 January 1946:
Departs Eniwetok for Kwajalein under tow by tug ATR-35.

8 January 1946:
Arrives at Kwajalein.

27 January 1946:
Departs Kwajalein for Pearl Harbor under tow by tugs ATR-86 and ATR-64.

18 February 1946:
Arrives at Pearl.

21 February1946:
Departs Pearl under tow by ATF-148.

5 March 1946:
Early in the morning, tug ATR-23 takes DD-224 under tow. At 1000, they arrive at San Francisco.

26 March 1946:
Towed to Oakland, CA.

17 April 1946:
Removed from the US Navy List.

23 May 1946:
Oakland. Decommissioned.

24 May 1946:
Off San Francisco. Sunk as a target ship by USN rocket firing F4U "Corsair" and F6F "Hellcat" fighters.

Authors' Note:
[1] The submarine may have been LtCdr (later Captain) Bladen D. Claggett's (USNA ’35) USS DACE (SS-247).

[2] Sources differ as to the identity of ships. Some accounts include PHRA RUANG, but Japanese accounts claim that it was PB-102 rather than PHRA RUANG. PB-102 escorted JINYO MARU to Dasol Bay, but took no part in the action against USS HARDER.

[3] Cdr Dealey, the "destroyer killer", is awarded the Medal of Honor, posthumously.

[4] The "PBYs" could have been Martin PBM "Mariners." The IJN tended to confuse both types and at that late date in the war the Mariner was more probable.

[5] According to the memoirs of Lt Yoshimi, PB-102 was designated flagship of the Eighth Special Attack Force, but this is not confirmed by any contemporary Japanese sources.

[6] On 23 August 1945, LtCdr Mizutani and 11 other members of the Meirokai nationalist society committed group suicide in front of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, protesting against Japan's surrender.

Thanks go to Dr. Higuchi Tatsuhiro of Japan and Allan Alsleben of Oregon. Thanks also go to John Whitman of the USA for info on CNO intercepts of Japanese messages and to Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall.

Back to Patrol Boat Page