(KUROSHIO MARU by Ueda Kihachiro)

Tabular Record of Movement

© 2011-2018 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall.
Revision 11

21 January 1938:
Aioi. Laid down by Harima Zosen as peacetime 10, 383-ton tanker for Nakagai Kaiun K.K., Tokyo.

8 December 1938:
Launched and named KUROSHIO MARU.

28 February 1939:

In service transporting oil and petroleum products from the United States W coast to Japan.

15 August 1941:
Requisitioned by the IJN.

22 August 1941:
Undergoes conversion at Tama Zosen shipyard.

5 September 1941:
Registered as an auxiliary oil transport in the Sasebo Naval District under internal order No. 1025. Her home port is Sasebo. Captain Takagi Banjiro (39) (former CO of SHIRETOKO) is appointed Supervisor. (Remained in command until 7 April 1942.)

17 October 1941:
Completes conversion. Later, attached to the Combined Fleet.

30 November 1941:
Departs Sasebo.

5 December 1941:
At 1120 KUROSHIO MARU and Storeship NANKAI arrive at Sana, Hainan Island.

6 December 1941:
At 0905 KUROSHIO MARU departs Sana.

7 December 1941:
Arrives and departs Camranh Bay.

8 December 1941:
Arrives at Pulau Condore Island, Indochina on replenishment duty.

11 December 1941:
Departs Puolo Condore.

13 December 1941:
Arrives at Camranh Bay.

14 December 1941:
Departs Mako.

28 December 1941:
Arrives at Mako.

5 January 1942:
Departs Mako.

10 January 1942:
At 0130 arrives at Davao and remains there the rest of the month.

15 January 1942:
At Davao transfers 1080 tons fuel oil to cruiser NACHI and 1165 tons fuel oil to cruiser HAGURO.

18 January 1942:
Transfers 87 tons fuel oil to destroyer IKAZUCHI. Provides stores and bunkers to oiler NARUTO. At 1440 provides bunkers to dedstroyer ARASHIO while NARUTO provides destroyer stores.

10 February 1942:
At 1000 departs Davao.

16 February 1942:
At 1500 Arrives at Sasebo.

22 February 1942:
At 0900 departs Sasebo.

25 February 1942:
At 2000 arrives at Kobe then proceeds to Kawasaki shipbuilding, Kobe. Undergoes refit.

20 March 1942:
Removed from the Navy’s list under internal order No. 481. Departs Kobe that same day. Later enters dock at Harima Zosen.

1 May 1942:
De-requisitioned by the IJN and released to her owners.

23 May 1942:
Requisitioned by the IJA as Army Auxiliary tanker No. 951. Later enters dock at Harima Zosen.

September 1942:
Employed on feeder service for IJA between Singapore and Sumatra.

8 September 1942:
At 1200 departs Moji in convoy No. 160 consisting of KISO, TOKYO, NAGARA, KUROSHIO, CHOKO, YURI, BOKO (ex British SAGRES) and NIKKYU MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyers WAKATAKE and SANAE. The convoy splits into two parts after departure, the first part containing KISO MARU.

10 September 1942:
In collision while in convoy and sinks ZUIUN MARU (no details- possible 1939 built 242 gross ton unit).

11 September 1942:
At 1500 the first part escorted by WAKATAKE arrives at Takao.

12 September 1942:
AT 1700 the second part escorted by SANAE arrives at Takao.

18 December 1942:
Departs Saeki in the “L” convoy (Transportation Movement No. 8) also consisting of tanker KYODO MARUs and cargo ship TOUN MARU escorted initially by auxiliary minesweeper OI MARU to 29N.

10 January 1943:
Arrives at Rabaul.

25 January 1943:
Departs St Jacques in convoy No.553 also consisting of tanker NASUSAN MARU and one unidentified merchant ship without escort.

28 January 1943:
Arrives Singapore.

10 February 1943:
Departs Singapore in a convoy also consisting of tanker OMUROSAN MARU and possibly others with unknown escort. En route KUROSHIO MARU detaches for Tenshin (Tientsin).

24 February 1943:
At 1300 departs Dairen at 17 knots for Singapore. Possibly diverted to Palembang en route.

5 March 1943:
At anchor at Palembang.

7 March 1943:
At 1500, departs Palembang.

9 March 1943:
At 1300, arrives at Singapore.

19 March 1943:
At 1800, arrives at Palembang probably from Singapore accompanied by tanker KIKUSUI MARU.

9 April 1943:
Departs Moji in convoy with liners KACHIDOKI MARU (ex American PRESIDENT HARRISON) and TEIA MARU (ex French ARAMIS) with unknown escort.

18 April 1943:
At 1355, arrives at Palembang.

21 April 1943:
At 1000, departs Palembang.

22 April 1943:
At 1600, arrives at Singapore.

25 April 1943:
At 0900 departs Singapore for Moji.

4 May 1943:
ETA at Moji.

Ownership transfers to Towa Kisen K.K.

15 June 1943:
Departs Sasebo in convoy TA-504 also consisting of NIKKAKU, TIENTSIN (TENSHIN) MARUs and YAMAMIZU MARU No.3 with minelayer HIRASHIMA as sole escort.

18 June 1943:
Arrives at Takao.

21 June 1943:
At 0900 due to depart Takao in Z Convoy also consisting of Naval oilers ASHIZURI and SUNOSAKI escorted by the old destroyer WAKATAKE for St Jacques.

4 July 1943:
Departs Singapore in convoy No. 615 consisting of KUROSHIO, KINUGASA, KIRISHIMA, OMUROSAN, TEIKO (ex French D'ARTAGNAN), KACHIDOKI (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON), AKI and MIIKE MARUs escorted by an unknown warship.

5 July 1943:
Arrives at Miri, Borneo.

6 July 1943:
Arrives at St Jacques, Indochina.

7 July 1943:
Departs St Jacques in J Convoy consisting of KUROSHIO, KINUGASA, KIRISHIMA, KACHIDOKI, AKI, MIIKE, and TEIKO MARUs escorted by old destroyer WAKATAKE.

Est 10 July 1943:
TEIKO MARU is detached for Manila (arrives 11 July).

11 July 1943:
Arrives at Mako; departs later that day and arrives at Takao (some records show arrival 12 July).

13 July 1943:
Departs Mako in M convoy also consisting of KINUGASA, KIRISHIMA, OMUROSAN, TEIKO, KACHIDOKI (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON), AKI and MIIKE MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by patrol boat PB-2.

16 July 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

17 July 1943:
Arrives at Ujina. Later docked for repairs by Hitachi Zosen.

25 July 1943:
Departs Moji in convoy No. 180 also consisting of TATSUHARU MARU and tankers JAMBIand NICHINAN (5175 gt) MARUs escorted by the patrol boat PB-2.

30 July 1943:
Arrives at Takao.

1 August 1943:
Departs Takao in Rin Toku convoy also consisting of NICHINAN MARU (5175 gt) and TATSUHARU MARU with unknown escort.

7 August 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

26 August 1943:
Departs Takao in convoy No.296 also consisting of ARIMASAN, AWA, KYOKUYO MARUs and three unidentified merchant ships escorted by the destroyer KURETAKE.

31 August 1943:
Arrives at Moji.

27 December 1943:
Departs Osaka.

28 December 1943:
Arrives at Iwakuni. Loads 12 aircraft on board. Later that day departs Iwakuni.

29 December 1943:
Arrives at Moji. Loads troops and military cargo.

31 December 1943:
At 0600, KUROSHIO MARU departs Moji in convoy HI-29 also consisting of (ex cargo) OKIGAWA MARU, cargo passenger ships KACHIDOKI (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON) and ASOSAN MARUs escorted by kaibokan SADO. That same day, ASHIZURI and sister oiler SHIOYA depart Sasebo and join the convoy.

4 January 1944:
At 1600, convoy HI-29 arrives at Takao. OKIGAWA MARU, ASHIZURI and SHIOYA are detached. Tanker GOYO MARU joins the convoy.

6 January 1944:
At 1315, oilers ASHIZURI, SHIOYA and OKIKAWA MARU depart Takao in the Rinji (special) M convoy escorted by kaibokan SADO and patrol boat PB-36. This convoy accompanies convoy HI-29 to Manila.

9 January 1944:
At 1530, convoy HI-29 arrives at Manila. The Rinji M convoy is detached.

10 January 1944:
Departs Manila.

16 January 1944:
Arrives at Singapore. Loads amphibious troops and military cargo, and 16,000 cubic liters of crude oil.

25 January 1944:
At 0730, KUROSHIO MARU departs Singapore for Moji in convoy HI-32 also consisting of tankers TATEKAWA, OMUROSAN, ITSUKUSHIMA, and GENYO MARUs and cargo-passenger ships HOKUROKU and KINUGASA MARUs escorted by escort carrier CHITOSE and destroyer YUKIKAZE.

E 28 January 1944:
Kaibokan MIYAKE joins the convoy from Manila.

1 February 1944:
A patrol plane from the CHITOSE spots a small drifting boat ahead of the convoy, about 60 nm east of Okinawa. MIYAKE is detached to investigate. When closing it becomes clear that the small boat is actually a landing barge with more than 100 survivors from the TARUSHIMA MARU 4865gt. MIYAKE takes over 54 survivors, followed by YUKIKAZE which takes over the remaining 57 survivors.

4 February 1944:
CHITOSE is detached for Sasebo. At 1100, convoy HI-32 arrives at Moji. KUROSHIO MARU takes on fresh water before departing.

5 February 1944:
Arrives at Omishima. Discharges 16,000 cubic liters crude oil and 3000 cubic liters of fuel oil.

7 February 1944:
Departs Omishima.

8 February 1944:
Arrives at Iwakuni. Loads 3,000 cubic liters of fuel oil and 10 aircraft.

11 February 1944:
Departs Iwakuni for Moji.

16 February 1944:
At 0600, KUROSHIO MARU departs Moji for Singapore in convoy HI-45 also consisting of tankers TATEKAWA and ITSUKUSHIMA MARUs, cargo liner ARIMASAN MARU, troop OMUROSAN, IJA landing craft depot ship TAMATSU MARU and an unidentified ship escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE.

20 February 1944:
Destroyer SHIOKAZE is detached.

21 February 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU suffers engine trouble and is detached for Takao, Formosa.

28 February 1944:
Departs Takao in convoy HI-47 consisting of AMATSU, OMINESAN, NOSHIRO, OTOWASAN, KYOKUHO, KUROSHIO, OKIGAWA MARUs and three other unidentified ships escorted by Kaibokan ETOROFU, SADO and IKI.

4 March 1944:
OMINESAN MARU is torpedoed and sunk by LtCdr (later Cdr) Charles M. Henderson’s (USNA ’34) USS BLUEFISH in 05-29N, 108-46E. 46 crewmen are KIA.

5 March 1944:
Arrives at Singapore. Takes on amphibious troops and military cargo, and 16,500 cubic liters of crude oil.

11 March 1944:
At 0730, KUROSHIO MARU departs Singapore for Moji in convoy HI-48 also consisting of tankers OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, TATEKAWA, ITSUKUSHIMA, SEIYO and NICHIEI MARUs, transport/cargo liners AWA, SANUKI, TEIA (ex-French liner ARAMIS) and HOKUROKU MARUs and two unidentified ships escorted by kaibokan MIYAKE, SHIMUSHU and IKI.

14 March 1944:
Gulf of Thailand. SANUKI MARU is damaged by a mine or torpedo. The damage causes her to drop out of the convoy on the coast. At 1700, ETOROFU arrives at Van Phong Bay, French Indochina.

15 March 1944:
At 1100, departs Van Phong Bay. KUROSHIO MARU suffers an engine breakdown and stops at St Jacques.

20 March 1944:
Departs St Jacques in convoy HI-50 also consisting of MANEI, EIHO, MEDAN, OKIGAWA, SANUKI, USSURI, SHOHEI MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships escorted by kaibokan SADO and destroyer SHIOKAZE.

24 March 1944:
At 1900 arrives at Manila.

27 March 1944:
At 1400 departs Manila.

30 March 1944:
At 1030 arrives at Takao. Takes on water.

1 April 1944:
At 1600 departs Takao.

2 April 1944:
At 1700 arrives at Mako.

4 April 1944:
At 1600 departs Mako as part of convoy HI-50 consisting of MANEI, EIHO, OKIGAWA, KUROSHIO MARUs and seven unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyer SHIOKAZE and Kaibokan SADO.

Est 5 April 1944:
At a position north of Formosa ORYOKU MARU joins the convoy.

8 April 1944:
At 1010 arrives at Moji and later that day arrives at Iwakuni (Marifu refinery). Discharges 16,500 cubic liters of crude oil.

12 April 1944:
Departs Iwakuni (Marifu).

14 April 1944:
Arrives at Omishima. Loads 3500 cubic liters of fuel oil.

15 April 1944:
Departs Omishima and later that day arrives at Iwakuni. Loads 3500 cubic liters of fuel oil.

18 April 1944:
Departs Iwakuni and arrives at Kobe.

19 April 1944:
Enters dock at Kawasaki Heavy Industries and undergoes boiler repairs.

9 July 1944:
Repairs are completed. Undocked. Departs Kobe and arrives at Iwakuni.

10 July 1944:
Loads 10 aircraft and 300 tons of aircraft spares.

12 July 1944:
Departs Iwakuni and arrives at Moji.

July 1944:
Loads 3,000 drums and embarks 483 IJA soldiers.

13 July 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU departs Moji for Singapore in convoy HI-69 also consisting of escort carriers KAIYO and TAIYO each loaded with aircraft, KIMIKAWA, AKI, ASAMA, SAIGON, HAKKO, KACHIDOKI (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON), MANKO MARUs and possibly MANJU MARU and tankers KOEI, OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, HARIMA, SERIA, TENEI MARUs escorted by escort carriers TAIYO and KAIYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO, CD-7 and CD-17. TAIYO and KAIYO are loaded with aircraft for Luzon. SHINYO conducts air patrols.

17 July 1944:
MANKO MARU is detached.

18 July 1944:
Near Takao, Formosa. About 0600, LtCdr (later Cdr) John J. Flachsenhar's (USNA '35) USS ROCK (SS-274) fires four torpedoes at HARIMA MARU, but misses. Cdr Alan Banister's (USNA ’28) USS SAWFISH (USS 276) then torpedoes and damages HARIMA MARU, but she remains able to steam. At 1055, LtCdr Roger M. Keithy's (USNA ’35) USS TILEFISH (SS-307) torpedoes and heavily damages CD-17. HARIMA MARU and CD-17 put into Takao, but the convoy continues to Manila without stopping there as originally planned.

20 July 1944:
Arrives at Manila at 2100. KAIYO and TAIYO begin unloading aircraft.

25 July 1944:
At 0530, KUROSHIO MARU departs Manila for Singapore in HI-69 now also consisting of KIMIKAWA, HAKKO, OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, SERIA, KACHIDOKI (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON) and TENEI MARUs escorted by escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO, CD-7, CD-9, CD-13 and CD-17.

TAIYO is detached and heads for Saei, Formosa. KAIYO is detached and departs for Takao the next day with convoy MAMO-1.

31 July 1944:
Arrives at Singapore. Loads 14,590 cubic liters of fuel oil.

4 August 1944:
At 2100, KUROSHIO MARU departs Singapore for Moji in convoy HI-70 also consisting of MANJU, KINUGASA, ARIMASAN MARUs and oilers SERIA, HAKKO, OMUROSAN and OTOWASAN MARUs escorted by escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, destroyer SHIMOTSUKI and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO, CD-13 and CD-19.

12 August 1944:
SADO is detached to hunt an enemy submarine. Later, she proceeds to Keelung (Kirun) separately.

15 August 1944:
At 1430, convoy HI-70 arrives at Moji. Discharges cargo.

19 August 1944:
Departs Moji.

20 August 1944:
Arrives at Iwakuni. Loads 8 aircraft and military equipment. That same day, departs Iwakuni and arrives at Ujina. Loads water.

21 August 1944:
Departs Ujina.

22 August 1944:
Arrives at Moji. Loads 250 tons of cement and 380 passengers.

25 August 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU departs Moji for Singapore in convoy HI-73 also consisting of IJA landing craft depot ship KIBITSU MARU, ex-armed merchant cruiser GOKOKU MARU, ex-seaplane tenders KAGU and SANUKI MARUs, tankers TOHO, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, TAIHO, FUJISAN, HAKKO, AMATO, TOA and KUROSHIO MARUs and fleet storeship IRAKO escorted by escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-1, CD-13, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27. KUROSHIO MARU carries 47 passengers.

Later that day, the convoy is joined briefly by transports MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs and tanker MANEI MARU.

26 August 1944:
At 0900, MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs are ordered away because of excessive smoke. MANEI MARU remains at Kyushu because of engine problems.

30 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. KUROSHIO MARU is probably detached, perhaps with engine trouble.

14 September 1944:
At Takao. KUROSHIO, FUJISAN (1944) and TAIHO MARUs, torpedo boat HIYODORI and kaibokan CD-28 join convoy HI-75 that departed Moji on 8 September.

At 1630, the convoy departs Takao for Singapore now also consisting of oilers NICHIEI, RYOEI, YUHO, TOHO (1944 built), SERIA, AMATO and MANEI MARUs, passenger liner ASAMA MARU and cargo-passenger SAIGON MARU escorted by escort carrier SHINYO, flying boat tender AKITSUSHIMA, DesDiv 30’s YUZUKI and UZUKI and kaibokan KANJU, MIYAKE and MANJU. Soon after departure, AMATO MARU, and at 1900, YUHO MARU, develop engine problems and are detached.

16 September 1944:
At 2330, KANJU, suffering rudder problems, collides with SERIA MARU, but there is little damage.

17 September 1944:
At 1000, AKITSUSHIMA and SAIGON MARU are detached and head for Manila escorted by YUZUKI and UZUKI. Enroute, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Rueben T. Whitaker's (USNA ’34) USS FLASHER (SS-249) torpedoes and sinks SAIGON MARU. SAIGON MARU carrying 700 mines and 100 depth charges. Six crewmen are KIA.

18 September 1944:
At 1040, kaibokan KURAHASHI joins the escort.

19 September 1944:
At 1500, AMATO MARU rejoins the convoy.

20 September 1944:
During the day, NICHIEI, KUROSHIO, TAIHO and FUJISAN MARUs and carrier SHINYO all suffer engine or rudder problems, but the convoy remains intact.

22 September 1944:
At 1300, arrives at Singapore.

September 1944:
Loads 12,000 tons of oil, materials and troops.

2 October 1944:
At 1700, KUROSHIO MARU departs Singapore for Moji in convoy HI-76 also consisting of oilers NICHIEI, NICHINAN (5175 gt), RYOEI, FUJISAN, SERIA, TARAKAN and TOHO MARUs, ex-seaplane tender KIMIKAWA MARU and cargo ship TEIHOKU (ex-French PERSEE) MARU escorted by escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan DAITO, KANJU, MANJU, MIYAKE, KURAHASHI, CD-9 and CD-28 and torpedo boat HIYODORI.

8 October 1944:
South China Sea. At 0100, LtCdr Henry D. Sturr’s (USNA ’33) USS BECUNA (SS-319) torpedoes and damages KIMIKAWA MARU at 14-12N, 115-53E. KIMIKAWA MARU is hit by two torpedoes, but remains navigable. She is detached from the convoy and heads for Manila escorted by HIYODORI and CD-28.

10 October 1944:
After receiving reports of an American task force striking Okinawa, convoy HI-76 diverts to Samah, Hainan Island.

11 October 1944:
At 1500, arrives at Samah.

16 October 1944:
At 0745, departs Samah.

17 October 1944:
RYOEI MARU, MANJU and MIYAKE are detached and head for Mako.

18 October 1944:
At 0800, the convoy is ordered to Samah to rendezvous with CD-25 and CD-32. Later, HI-76 completes the rendezvous. Oilers NICHIEI, NICHINAN (5175 gt) and FUJISAN MARUs are ordered to remain at Samah. Later, NICHEI MARU is ordered to Coron in support of Operation “SHO-GO No. 1”.

At 1700, HI-76 departs Samah now consisting of KUROSHIO, TENEI, and TOHO MARUs escorted by escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan KANJU, CD-8 and CD-32.

19 October 1944:
Stops at Mako. The convoy is on stand-by and also on the 20th.

21 October 1944:
Departs Mako for Moji.

22 October 1944:
SHINYO is detached for Kure unescorted. At 1200, KUROSHIO, TOHO MARUs and CD-32 are also detached.

31 October 1944:
Takao. Joins convoy HI-79 bound for Singapore consisting of transports ARIMASAN MARUs and oilers TENEI, RYOEI and MATSUSHIMA MARUs escorts by light cruiser KASHI, with Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo (39), CINC, 5th Escort Group embarked, kaibokan NOMI and minesweeper W-21 and minelayer NIIZAKI.

9 November 1944:
HI-79 arrives at Singapore.

11 November 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU is at Singapore when an air raid takes place.

November 1944:
Loads 11,500 tons of crude oil and 2,000 tons of machine oil.

17 November 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU departs Singapore in convoy HI-80 also consisting of tankers TENEI, MATSUSHIMA, RYOEI, MUNEKATA, ARIMASAN, NICHINAN (5175 gt) and KAIHO MARUs and transport ARIMASAN MARU escorted by light cruiser KASHII (F), with Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo (39), CINC, 5th Escort Group embarked, kaibokan MANJU, NOMI, KASADO, MIYAKE, UKURU, CD-17, CD-23 and CD-51 and minelayer NIIZAKI.

20 November 1944:
At 1240, CD-17 is detached for Saigon. Shortly after NICHINAN MARU (5175 gt) detaches off Van Phong Bay.

27 November 1944:
At 0930, RYOEI and ARIMASAN MARUs escorted by NIIZAKI are detached for Takao.

4 December 1944:
HI-80 arrives at Sasebo and later at Moji.

7 December 1944:
Departs Moji.

11 December 1944:
Arrives at Kobe and later that day at Hikoshima, Hiroshima.

12 December 1944:
Enters dock at Kawasaki Heavy Industries for engine repairs.

26 December 1944:

27 December 1944:
Departs Kobe.

31 December 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU departs Moji in convoy HI-87 on the first part of its route via Formosa to Hong Kong and Singapore also consisting of fleet oiler KAMOI, with the convoy commander aboard, and oilers TENEI, KAIHO, MATSUSHIMA, MITSUSHIMA, MIRI, MUNAKATA and SARAWAK MARUs and passenger-cargoman TATSUWA MARU escorted by destroyers YUKIKAZE, SHIGURE, HATAKAZE and DesDiv17’s HAMAKAZE and ISOKAZE and kaibokan MIKURA, YASHIRO, KURAHASHI and CD-13. Light carrier RYUHO provides air cover. YUKIKAZE soon suffers a burst steam pipe and has to return to the Inland Sea.

3 January 1945:
At 0900, the convoy anchors temporarily in the Chusan Islands group because of the threat of air attacks on Formosa.

5 January 1945:
At 0500, convoy HI-87 departs the Chusan Islands anchorage.

7 January 1945:
East China Sea. The convoy is sighted by a wolf pack consisting of Cdr (later Rear Admiral/MOH) Eugene B. Fluckey's (USNA '35) USS BARB (SS-220) and LtCdr (later Cdr) Evan T. Shepard's (USNA '35)PICUDA (SS-382), later joined by Cdr (later Rear Admiral- Ret) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA '33) QUEENFISH (SS-393). At 0905, in heavy seas, PICUDA torpedoes and heavily damages MUNAKATA MARU’s bow. She proceeds separately to Kirun (Keelung). At 1300, RYUHO and SHIGURE are also detached and proceed to Kirun. The convoy anchors at Shinchiku Roadstead, Formosa. HAMAKAZE collides with KAIHO MARU. The destroyer is detached with ISOKAZE as escort to Mako, Pescadores for emergency repairs. At 1830, in dense fog, the convoy anchors temporarily on the W Formosan coast. The ships split up and enter Takao’s port at different times.

8 January 1945:
At 1200, KAMOI arrives with KAIHO MARU and escorts MIKURA, YASHIRO and kaibokan CD-13. Then KAIHO MARU experiences an engine breakdown. The ships anchor temporarily outside Takao’s port.

9 January 1945:
Vice Admiral John S. McCain’s Task Force 38 attacks shipping off Formosa. TF 38 planes sink KUROSHIO MARU at 22-00N, 120-05E in Takao harbor. 10 crewmen are KIA. The planes also sink tanker KAIHO MARU and cargo ship FUKUYAMA MARU.

1 May 1945:
Removed from the Army List.

Salvaged and repaired.

Taken to Hong Kong for permanent repairs. Renamed YUNG HAO and put in service for China Tanker Co Ltd, registered in Shanghai, but later transferred to Taiwan.

Compulsorily purchased by The Admiralty London as a Royal Navy Fleet Auxiliary. Renamed SURF PILOT. The Admiralty believed the owners were a front company for Communist Chinese and the ship was initially seized. Later compensation was paid.

May 1951:
Commissioned in the RN as a tender based at Singapore. Later laid up.

March 1960:
Stricken from fleet and sunk as a target in 02-33N 104-40E. Sank in relatively shallow water accessible to Scuba divers and today a popular dive-site. The ship's identity was only confirmed in late 2011.

Thanks to Gilbert Casse of France, Sander Kingsepp of Estonia and Matthew Jones of Ohio, USA. Thanks also to reader John O'Keefe of CO, USA.

- Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall.

Back to the Oilers Page