TETSUSEI DAI HATSUDOTEI
(KUMANO MARU postwar)
IJA Landing Craft Depot Ship KUMANO MARU:
Tabular Record of Movement
© 2010-2011 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall
15 August 1944:
Innoshima. Laid down at Hitachi Shipbuilding as a Standard
Type M cargo ship. Requisitioned by the Army during construction, redesigned as
a landing craft transport, and designated a Type B landing ship.
28 January 1945:
Launched and named KUMANO MARU. Her funnel
is sited horizontally on the starboard side.
31 March 1945:
Completed. Fitted with a flying-off deck for her
planned complement of aircraft. Landing craft were to be launched in the same
manner as other IJA landing craft depot ships. 
15 August 1945: End of Hostilities with the Allied Powers:
Used as repatriation ship to transport former
Imperial troops to homeland.
Officially assigned to the Allied Repatriation Service.
Sold to Kawasaki Kisen K. K. Line and converted to a
conventional merchant ship.
Removed from the Army Ships List.
 The number of aircraft to be carried varied from 8 to 37
based on the type of aircraft and the number of landing craft stored in the
 According to one source, KUMANO MARU's hulk was allocated for use as
a breakwater at Hachijo Jima, but it is unclear if this happened.
-Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall