KOKAI HOKAN!

KAIHO MARU Class Auxiliary Gunboats

(TSURUGISAKI, later KAIHO MARU, prewar)

This class consists of KAIHO MARU only, completed in 17 as TSURUGISAKI for the IJN as a small naval tanker. The ship was a very arly diesel powered tanker. Removed from the Navy list in 33, sold in 35 to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and used thereafter as a fishery control ship. Renamed KAIHO MARU in 36, she was registered again by the IJN, converted to an auxiliary gunboat in Jan 45 and sunk by an American submarine in Apr 45.

Builder and Year Completed: Kure Navy Yard
1917
Gross tonnage: 1,091-tons
Dimensions: 215.2' (Lpp) x 30.8' x 18,0'
Propulsion: two Burmeister & Wain 4-stroke, double acting diesel engines , 2 shafts, 950 s.h.p.
Speed: 11 knots cruising, unknown max.
Armament: - As completed: Two 8cm/40 deck guns.
- Additional armament 1939:
Two Type 92s 7,7mm MGs.
- Additional armament 1943:
One 8cm/40 deck gun, one 12 mm/62 "HI" Type,
Two Type 92s 7,7mm MGs, 4 DCs, one hydrophone.