(GOKOKU MARU by Ueda Kitachiro)

Tabular Record of Movement

© 1998-2014 Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp
Revision 12

31 July 1939:
Tama. Laid down at the Tama ship yard as a passenger-cargo vessel for the Osaka Shosen Kaisha (OSK) Line. [1]

2 April 1942:
Launched and named GOKOKU MARU. It is planned to use the ship on the Japan-Africa route with her two sister ships, AIKOKU and HOKOKU MARUs, but she never enters this service.

27 July 1942:
Requisitioned by the IJN.

10 August 1942:
Tama. Vessel is still incomplete, but begins conversion by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding to an armed merchant cruiser. Captain (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Mizuno Kokichi (37) is posted as her Chief Equipping Officer.

25 September 1942:
Completes conversion and is registered (commissioned) in the IJN in the Kure Naval District. Captain Mizuno assumes command.

1 October 1942:
Assigned directly to the Combined Fleet.

2 October 1942:

21 October 1942:
Departs Kure.

30 October 1942:
Arrives at Singapore. Assigned the dual responsibility as a resupply ship for SubRon 8 and a commerce raider.

2 December 1942:
Departs Singapore carrying the 6th Naval Air Group's engineers and communications station personnel and equipment accompanied by AMCs AIKOKU and KIYOSUMI MARUs and destroyer SHIOKAZE.

12 December 1942:
Arrives at Rabaul.

16 December 1942:
GOKOKU MARU is attached to Vice Admiral Mikawa Gunichi's Eighth Fleet. As a part of preparations for the capture of Madang, New Guinea, she embarks the 21st and 42nd Infantry Regiments, 58th Field AA Artillery Batallion, 6th Airfield Construction Unit, road construction and communications units; a total of 3,724 men.

Departs Rabaul for Madang in an Attack Force with light cruiser TENRYU, sister-ship AIKOKU MARU and destroyers ISONAMI, INAZUMA, SUZUKAZE and ARASHIO.

18 December 1942:
LtCdr Richard C. Lake in USS ALBACORE (SS-218) receives an "Ultra" message alerting him of the Attack Force's movements based on U.S. Navy codebreakers' decryption of Japanese radio traffic.

Off Madang. At 0732, the Attack Force is bombed unsuccessfully. The Attack Force lands two battalions of men under LtCol Hanawa of the 5th Division and an airfield construction unit.

At 1744, GOKOKU MARU is hit in the bow area by a bomb from Boeing B-17E "Flying Fortresses" of the 43rd Bomb Group, Fifth Air Force that starts a small fire.

At 1800, that same day, TENRYU departs Madang Roads with ARASHIO, SUZUKAZE, ISONAMI and INAZUMA. LtCdr Lake sets up on what he takes to be a transport escorted by a "destroyer." He fires three torpedoes at each. Lake's torpedoes miss the GOKOKU MARU, but TENRYU is hit in the stern and sinks. SUKUKAZE and ISONAMI unsuccessfully counterattack Lake's ALBACORE.

19 December 1942: Operation C (HEI-GO) - The Reinforcement of New Guinea:
Orders for Operation C (HEI-GO) are issued. The objective of this transport operation is to rush the 20th and 41st Army Division to Wewak. The operation consists of three separate operations, two of them divided into sub echelons sailing at different dates: The first operation HEI-ICHI GO (HEI-GO 1) is to land the main strength of the 20th Army Division consisting of 9,443 men, 82 vehicles, arms and 12,267 bundles of provisions at Wewak.

That same day, GOKOKU and KIYOZUMI MARUs depart Madang.

20 December 1942:
Departs Rabaul.

E 27 December 1942:
Torpedo boat HATO joins AIKOKU and KIYOZUMI MARUs at 28-50N, 134-17E. (It is unclear whether GOKOKU MARU had been detached.)

29 December 1942:
2 Off Fukajima HATO is detached. Later that day, AIKOKU and KIYOZUMI MARUs arrive at Kure.

2 January 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

10 January 1943:
Departs Kure. Later arrives at Fusan (Pusan), Korea.

12 January 1943:
At 1600, GOKOKU MARU departs Fusan for Palau carrying the 2nd Special Base Force and others.

17 January 1943:
Off Palau. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Hiram Cassedy's USS SEARAVEN (SS-196) fires three Mark 14 steam torpedoes at GOKOKU MARU at 07-52N, 134-02E. One torpedo hits, but it is a dud. At 1100, GOKOKU MARU arrives safely at Palau. She is organized into the 2nd transport echelon, but steams independently.

19 January 1943:
At 0800, departs Palau for Wewak, New Guinea.

21 January 1943:
At 1630, arrives at Wewak. Disembarks troops and at 0200 departs for Sasebo.

27 January 1943:
Arrives at Sasebo and departs thereafter for Tsingtao, China.

28 January 1943: Operation HINOE-GO-3 ("C-3") - The Reinforcement of New Guinea:
GOKOKU MARU arrives at Tsingtao. Later that day, she departs Tsingtao, in the 2nd echelon of transport group HINOE-GO No. 3 The 2nd echelon also consists of KIYOSUMI, AIKOKU MARUs escorted by destroyers ASAGUMO and SAMIDARE. The 2nd echelon carries elements of the IJA's 239th Infantry Regiment. GOKOKU MARU carries the 3rd Battalion, 239th Infantry Regiment. KIYOSUMI MARU carries the 2nd Battalion (less 7th and 8th Companies) and AIKOKU MARU carries HQ and the 1st Battalion. Aircraft from carrier ZUIHO provide air cover.

E 18 February 1943:
The 2nd echelon arrives at Palau. Refuels and replenishes.

19 February 1943:
At 1300, GOKOKU, KIYOSUMI and AIKOKU MARUs depart Palau.

At 1440 (I) LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Frank W. Fenno's's USS RUNNER (SS-275) sights the masts of freighters in Toagel Melungui Pass. At 1455 (I), Fenno fires his four stern torpedoes at destroyer SAMIDARE, but does not score a hit. At 1456 (I), Fenno fires one torpedo at a freighter. Immediately thereafter, a depth charge, dropped by an E13A1 "Jake" of the 902nd NAG based at Palau, explodes close to RUNNER. Fenno, nevertheless, fires two more torpedoes and claims a hit on the freighter, but it was not.

The single 250-kg dropped by the Jake knocks out both of RUNNER's periscopes, her sound gear and magnetic and gyro compasses. The damage forces Fenno to terminate the patrol and return to Pearl Harbor.

26 February 1943:
The 2nd echelon arrives at Wewak, New Guinea:. Later that day, GOKOKU MARU departs Wewak for Surabaya, Java.

28 February 1943:
Arrives at Surabaya.

5 March 1943:
Departs Surabaya on a transport run to Babo, New Guinea.

9 March 1943:
Arrives at Ambon, Moluccas.

10 March 1943:
Departs Ambon.

11 March 1943:
Arrives at Babo on the southern shore of Maccluer Gulf.

12 March 1943:
Departs Babo.

17 March 1943:
Arrives at Surabaya.

23 March 1943:
Departs Surabaya.

27 March 1943:
Arrives at Ambon.

28 March 1943:
Departs Ambon.

30 March 1943:
Arrives at Surabaya.

1 April 1943:
GOKOKU MARU is reassigned directly to the Combined Fleet.

4 May 1943:
Departs Surabaya.

7 April 1943:
Arrives at Ambon.

8 April 1943:
Departs Ambon.

9 April 1943:
Arrives at Babo.

10 April 1943:
Departs Babo.

15 April 1943:
Arrives at Surabaya.

17 April 1943:
Departs Surabaya.

20 April 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

6 May 1943:
Departs Singapore.

1 July 1943:
Departs Singapore.

3 July 1943:
Immediately prior to arrival at Saigon collides with HAKKO MARU. Later that day berths at No. 2 Customs Wharf at Saigon.

5 July 1943:
Departs Saigon.

7 July 1943:
Arrives at Sana.

9 July 1943:
Departs Sana.

11 July 1943:
Arrives at Mako and moors at No. 3 buoy.

12 July 1943:
Departs Mako.

15 July 1943:
East China Sea. Minelayer NUWAJIMA joins GOKOKU MARU as escort at 28-54N, 132-41E.

16 July 1943:
Off Okinoshima. NUWAJIMA is detached. GOKOKU MARU proceeds to Kure.

20 July 1943:
The collision damage to the port side bow of the ship is repaired and the ship departs Kure and arrives at Ujina the same day.

22 July 1943:
Departs Ujina and later that day arrives at Kure and moors at No. 5 buoy.

27 July 1943:
Departs Kure escorted by destroyer USHIO.

3 August 1943:
Arrives at Truk. Later, departs and arrives at Sukumo.

E 22 August 1943:
Departs Truk in convoy consisting of AMCs AIKOKU and GOKOKU MARUs escorted by destroyer USHIO, subchaser CH-28 and minesweeper W-33.

E 23 August 1943:
CH-28 is detached from the convoy and returns to Truk.

E 28 August 1943:
Auxiliary minesweepers TAKUNAN MARU No. 3 and TAKUNAN MARU No. 8 join the convoy at 27-50N, 136-00E

E 30 August 1943:
Auxiliary minesweepers AOI MARU and YACHIYO MARU join the convoy at 30-50N, 135-20E

E 31 August 1943: Minesweeper W-33 joins the convoy at 32-12N, 133-55E.

1 September 1943:
Arrives at Sukumo and departs later that day with only USHIO as escort.

2 September 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

16 September 1943:
Departs Kure.

18 September 1943:
Arrives at Shanghai.

20 September 1943:
GOKOKU MARU departs Shanghai in convoy "Tei No. 2" (T2-GO Transportation Strategy) also consisting of sub tender HEIAN MARU, transport KIYOSUMI MARU and seaplane tender AKITSUSHIMA escorted by destroyers HIBIKI, MAKINAMI and YAMAGUMO.

The convoy carries 5,940 men of the IJA’s 17th Division’s headquarters staff, 53rd infantry regiment, 54th Regiment, 3rd Battalion, 1st Battalion, 23rd Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Company, 17th Engineers, 17th Tank Regiment, a car platoon and the division’s Communication Station, 650 vehicles and 6,000 cubic meters of supplies. GOKOKU MARU carries 1,850 men.

KIYOSUMI MARU carries 1,300 men of the 17th Division’s 53rd Infantry Regiment including the regimental commander and 170 vehicles and 2,800 cubic meters of supplies.

HEIAN MARU embarks the CO of the 17th Infantry Division, 1,900 of his men, lead engineer troops and 240 wheeled vehicles. She also carries 900 cubic meters of supplies and a cargo of torpedoes. AKITSUSHIMA carries 500 men including the brigade commander, 10 vehicles and 400 cubic meters of supplies. Destroyers HIBIKI, MAKINAMI and YAMAGUMO each carry 130 men.

E 23 September 1943:
Arrives at Woosung.

24 September 1943:
Departs Woosung and later that day arrives at Ta Chen Shan.

25 September 1943:
Departs Ta Chen Shan.

1 October 1943:
Rerated a transport assigned to the Kure Naval District.

2 October 1943:
The convoy arrives at Truk Atoll. HEIAN MARU unloads torpedoes.

The majoity of the Combined Fleet is lying at anchor including BatDiv 1's YAMATO, MUSASHI and NAGATO, BatDiv 2's FUSO and BatDiv 3's KONGO and HARUNA, CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU, ZUIKAKU and ZUIHO, CruDiv 5's MYOKO and HAGURO, CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA and TONE, light cruisers AGANO, NOSHIRO and destroyers. Vice Admiral Kurita Takao leads the second section with his Advance Force: CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO, MAYA and CHOKAI.

Convoy Tei No. 2 departs Truk that evening.

3 October 1943:
An enemy patrol bomber appears, but dense clouds make an attack on the convoy impossible.

5 October 1943:
At 1000, arrives at Rabaul and berths at No. 5 Pier

6 October 1943:
IWATE MARU supplies the ship with 50 tons freshwater. Later that day departs Rabaul.

9 October 1943:
Arrives at Truk.

11 October 1943:
Departs Truk.

18 October 1943:
Arrives off Woosung and later that day shifts to Shanghai and moors at Woosung Railway Pier.

21 October 1943:
GOKOKU MARU departs Shanghai as the second echelon of convoy "Tei No. 4" (T4-GO Transportation Strategy) also consisting of troop transport KIYOSUMI MARU escorted by light cruisers NAKA and ISUZU and destroyer YAMAGUMO.

GOKOKU MARU carries 1,759 men iof the IJA's 17th Divisionncluding a section of division headquarters, 81st Infantry main force, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Field artillery 17th Engineer Regiment headquarters and 3rd Engineer Company and 1st Field Hospital main force.

KIYOSUMI MARU carries 1,342 men of the IJA's 17th Division including two companies, 81st Infantry 3rd Battalion (minus 8th Company), 23rd Field Artillery Equipment platoon and 17th Engineer Regiment.

ISUZU carries 471 troops of the IJA's 17th Division. NAKA carries 485 troops.

East China Sea. That same day, Captain (later Vice Admiral) Charles B. "Swede" Momsen's (USNA ’19) Task Group 17.14's USS CERO (SS-225), GRAYBACK (SS-208) and SHAD (SS-235) receive an "Ultra" message from the codebreakers at Pearl alerting them of the transit of the troop convoy through their patrol area.

23 October 1943:
East China Sea. At 2320, LtCdr (later Captain) Edgar J. MacGregor's (USNA ’30) USS SHAD picks up two targets on her SJ radar at 15,000 yards. It takes MacGregor two hours to gain an attack position. At 0145, when the convoy is at 11,000 yards, he submerges to radar depth. At 0212, at 28-40N, 124-10E, MacGregor begins firing his torpedoes at ISUZU, NAKA and the fast troop transports. He fires ten torpedoes from shallow water, then is forced to head for deeper water to evade a depth-charge counter-attack. Although MacGregor claims damaging both light cruisers, neither is hit.

28 October 1943:
Arrives at Truk.

1 November 1943:
Departs Truk.

3 November 1943:
GOKOKU MARU and destroyer URAKAZE are bombed by USAAF B-24s while en route to Rabaul. GOKOKU MARU is not damaged.

4 November 1943:
At 1020, arrives at Rabaul.

5 November 1943:
Departs Rabaul to seek refuge in safe anchorage during USAAF attack. Later returns to Rabaul.

6 November 1943:
Departs Rabaul.

9 November 1943:
Arrives at Truk.

18 November 1943:
Departs Truk.

25 November 1943:
Arrives at Kure.

26 November 1943:
Kure Navy Yard. Begins repairs and modifications of equipment to increase her carrying capability.

19 December 1943:
Completes repairs and modifications.

20 December 1943:

23 December 1943:
Departs Kure.

24 December 1943:
Arrives at Tsukumi.

25 December 1943:
Departs Tsukumi. While at sea observes the sinking of the small ship DAIKAMI MARU (no details available) and rescues 2 survivors.

26 December 1943:
Arrives at Yura.

27 December 1943:
Departs Yura. SE of Honshu. That evening, LtCdr Charles H. Andrews' USS GURNARD's (SS-254) SJ radar picks up a single large merchant with ten escorts. Andrews makes several attempts to pierce the escort's screen and finally succeeds. At 2350, he fires his last four torpedoes and scores two hits at 34-23N, 138-24E. GOKOKU MARU goes dead in the water, but 15 minutes later begins to limp slowly away. [2]

28 December 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka. At 1043, USN codebreakers intercept a message from the CO of GOKOKU MARU that says: “Arrived Yokuska at 1043. Because of damage from torpedo attack (31 hold ---- from deck to waterline) cannot ----.”

Later, transfers to Yokohama for repairs.

3 February 1944:
Transfers from Yokosuka to Yokohama.

18 February 1944:
Docked at Asano Dockyard for repairs.

22 May 1944:
Undocked and berthed at nearby Chuo Choyo Wharf.

2 June 1944:
Transfers from Yokohama to Yokosuka and moors at No. 11 Buoy.

5 June 1944:
Transfers from Yokosuka to Yokohama and moors at No. 9 wharf.

12 June 1944:
Repairs are completed. Departs Yokohama. Later that day arrives at Tateyama.

13 June 1944:
Departs Tateyama and later that bay arrives at Owase Bay.

14 June 1944:
Departs Owase Bay and later that day arrives at Hiroshima Wan.

15 June 1944:
Departs Hiroshima Bay and shortly afterwards arrives at Kure.

19 June 1944:
Departs Kure and later that day arrives off Mutsure.

20 June 1944:
Departs Moji at 1930 in convoy HI-67 for Singapore. HI-67 consists of transports GOKOKU, MANJU, NANKAI, KINUGASA, ASAKA, ASAHISAN and HAKOZAKI MARUs and oilers MIRI, OTORISAN, NICHINAN No. 2, SARAWAK and SHINEI MARUs escorted by minelayer SHIRATAKA, submarine chaser CH-61, destroyers ASAGAO and KURETAKE and kaibokan HIRADO, KURAHASHI and CD-5 and 13.

E 26 June 1944:
CD-2 and destroyer ASAGAO join convoy HI-67.

29 June 1944:
Near dawn, LtCdr Anton W. Gallaher's USS BANG (SS-385) picks up convoy HI-67. Gallaher makes a long "end-around" in daylight. At about 1500, he fires all ten torpedoes in his bow and stern tubes at three ships. He damages MIRI and SARAWAK MARUs. Both oilers are hit in the bow, but each manages to proceed to Manila.

30 June 1944:
The main convoy arrives at Manila. GOKOKU, SARAWAK and MIRI MARUs are detached.

6 July 1944:
Departs Manila.

7 July 1944:
Near Davao GOKOKU MARU bunkers minesweeper W-28.

9 July 1944:
Near Davao. 1450, LtCdr (later Captain) Bladen D. Claggett's USS DACE (SS-247) fires six Mark 14 torpedoes at GOKOKU MARU at 06-18N, 126-13E. Two hit, but are duds. GOKOKU MARU returns fire and drops two depth charges. Later that day arrives at Davao.

10 July 1944:
At Davao GOKOKU MARU bunkers minesweeper W-28.

13 July 1944:
Hold No. 3 cargo catches fire but extinguished two hours later.

19 July 1944:
Departs Davao.

20 July 1944:
A further submarine attack takes place and a single depth charge is dropped. Later that day arrives at Zamboanga.

21 July 1944:
Shifts to an unnamed nearby anchorage.

23 July 1944:
Departs Zamboanga area and later that day arrives at Manila,

25 July 1944:
Departs Manila with escort carrier KAIYO and transport ASAMA MARU in convoy MAMO-01 escorted by destroyers AKIKAZE, HATSUSHIMO and TSUGA and minesweeper W-28.

27 July 1944:
The convoy arrives at Takao at 1400 and departs later that day.

31 July 1944:
The convoy departs Takao.

3 August 1944:
Anchors off Mutsure Jima.

4 August 1944:
Transfers from Mutsure Jima to nearby Moji. Then departs Moji and arrives at nearby Hesaki.

5 August 1944:
Departs Hesaki and returns to Moji and moors at No.9 Buoy. Later enters the port.

6 August 1944:
Departs Moji and later that day arrives at Kure and moors at No. 16 Buoy.

10 August 1944:
Arrives at Kure.

13 August 1944:
Departs Kure.

18 August 1944:
Arrives at Kure.

21 August 1944:
Departs Kure and later that day arrives at Hesaki.

22 August 1944:
Departs Hesaki, presumably near midnight.

23 August 1944:
Arrives at Moji. Transit time from Hesaki to Moji is about 1 hour. Later that day departs Moji and arrives off Mutsure.

25 August 1944:
At 0630, departs Moji after arriving earlier that day from the Mutsure anchorage. GOKOKU MARU is part of fast convoy HI-73 consisting of IJA landing ship KIBITSU MARU, ex-seaplane tenders SANUKI and KAGU MARUs, tankers TOHO, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, TAIHO, FUJISAN, HAKKO, AMATO, TOA and KUROSHIO MARUs and fleet storeship IRAKO escorted by escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII, kaibokan CHIBURI CD-13, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27. Later that day, the convoy is joined briefly by transports MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs and tanker MANEI MARU that all depart the following day.

26 August 1944:
At 0900, MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs are ordered to detach because of excessive smoke. MANEI MARU remains at Kyushu because of engine problems.

29 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. Departs that same day and arrives at Tsoying (near Takao).

30 August 1944:
Off Saei. The convoy splits. GOKOKU, KIBITSU and KAGU MARUs (and probably IRAKO) head for Manila. The remaining ships head for Singapore.

10 September 1944:
Departs Manila in fleet convoy MAMO-03 for Moji with KAGU and KIBITSU MARUs escorted by minesweeper W-21 and kaibokan CD-10 and CD-20.

11 September 1944:
S China Sea. 100 miles NE of the Paracel Islands. Convoy MAMO-03 joins fleet convoy HI-72 that departed Singapore on 6 September for Moji. HI-72 includes the ASAKA, NANKAI, KIMIKAWA , RAKUYO, ZUIHO , KIBITSU and KACHIDOKI MARUs (ex-PRESIDENT HARRISON). HI-72 carries oil, drummed aviation gasoline, bauxite, mercury and rubber. RAKUYO MARU also carries 1,317 Allied POWs and KACHIDOKI MARU carries another 950 POWs. Destroyer SHIKANAMI and kaibokan MIKURA and KURAHASHI are in the escort.

12 September 1944:
At 0200, HIRADO is torpedoed by Cdr Thomas B. Oakey’s GROWLER (SS-215). The frigate blows up and sinks. Rear Admiral Kajioka, victor of Wake Island, now CO of the 6th Escort Convoy Command is killed. He is promoted Vice Admiral, posthumously.

At 0500, the RAKUYO MARU is torpedoed by LtCdr (later Vice Admiral) Eli T. Reich's USS SEALION and hit in the No. 1 hold and engine room. RAKUYO MARU takes down 1,159 POWs. About the same time, SEALION also torpedoes NANKAI MARU. She is hit in Hold Nos. 3 and 6 and sinks about 0800. [2]

240 miles south of Hong Kong. Just before 0700, SHIKANAMI is torpedoed by GROWLER and sinks at 18-16 N, 114-40 E. Eight officers and 120 men rescued by MIKURA. At 2300, KACHIDOKI MARU is hit by USS PAMPANITO (SS-383) and sinks. More than 400 POWs perish. [3]

15 September 1944:
The remainder of the convoy arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island.

16 September 1944:
Departs Yulin.

20 September 1944:
Formosa Strait. The convoy is attacked by USAAF Consolidated B-24 "Liberator" bombers. GOKOKU MARU is hit in the stern. The bomb damages her hull and port propeller shaft. KAGU, ASAKA and SHINSHO MARUs are also damaged in the bombing attack. GOKOKU MARU is towed to Mako, Pescadores.

21 September 1944:
At 1950, USN codebreakers intercept a message from GOKOKU MARU that says “Arrived at Takao at 1430, 21 September.”

25 September 1944:
Arrives at Kure. Undergoes temporary repairs.

29 September 1944:
Departs Kure for Kirun Naval Base, near Keelung, Formosa for repairs to her hull.

7 November 1944:
At 0700, departs Kirun for Sasebo with the destroyer HIBIKI. GOKOKU MARU carries 400 Formosan volunteers for the Navy, 600 tons of sugar and 300 tons of aluminum ingots.

9 November 1944:
At 1400, GOKOKU MARU is joined by an unidentified kaibokan and at 1800 by another unidentified kaibokan.

Off Goto Retto. At 2200, heavy seas so slow the kaibokans that GOKOKU MARU is forced to abandon them. Captain Mizuno increases speed to 15 knots on his starboard propeller and heads for the Sasebo Channel.

10 November 1944:
At 0245, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Eugene B. Fluckey's USS BARB (SS-220) picks up GOKOKU MARU on her SJ radar.

At 0334, Fluckey fires three MK-18 electric torpedoes at GOKOKU MARU. The first hits aft of the funnel and the second hits forward of the bridge. GOKOKU MARU's port engine room is destroyed. The ship floods, her engines stop, she loses all power and takes on a 30 degree list to port.

Fluckey notices that GOKOKU MARU is not sinking, but heading very slowly towards shore. Captain Mizuno is attemping to beach his ship. Fluckey fires another electric torpedo, but it circles and misses.

Seven miles off Koshiki Jima, E Kyushu. BARB submerges. LtCdr Fluckey closes to 1,400 yards. At 0410, he fires a final torpedo and scores another hit. This time, GOKOKU MARU sinks by the stern at 33-31N, 129-19E.

The number of survivors is unknown, but 326 crew and passengers are KIA including Captain Mizuno. He is promoted Rear Admiral, posthumously. [4]

10 January 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors’ Note:
[1] The Tama yard is later renamed Mitsui Engineering Tama yard.

[2] Another report places the attack at 34-23N, 138-24E.

[3] The Japanese rescue some of the POWs from these two ships. All are transferred to KIBITSU MARU and taken to Japan. The American submarines later return to rescue a number of British and Australian POWs.

[4] Other Japanese sources places losses at 60 (or 61) crew and 939 passengers.

Special thanks for assistance go to Mssrs. Peter Cundall of Australia and Jean-Francois Masson of Canada. Thanks go to John Whitman of the USA for info on CNO intercepts of Japanese messages.

Thanks go to Toda Gengoro of Japan for information in Revision 5. Thanks go to the late Luke Rufatto of Italy and Erich Muethaler of Germany for info in Rev 6. Thanks also go to Peter Cundall for info in Rev 9 and the late John Whitman for info in Rev 11.

-Thanks also go to and Fontessa-san of Japan for info in Rev 12 about Operation C (HEI-GO) .

- Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp.

Back to Auxiliary Cruisers Page