(FUTAMI in 1933)

IJN River Gunboat FUTAMI:
Tabular Record of Movement

©2010 Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp

11 September 1928:
A projected new patrol river gunboat is named FUTAMI.

25 June 1929:
Osaka. Laid down at Fujinagata Zosenshso.

20 November 1929:

30 November 1929:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Hori Yugoro (41) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer (CEO).

28 February 1930:
Completed. LtCdr Hori is the Commanding Officer.

LtCdr Hori successfully cruises from Japan to the Yangtze River, China.

1 June 1931:
Yangtze River. In IJN service as a gunboat.

20 August 1931:
An unknown officer is posted CO.

18 September 1931: The "Mukden Incident":
Liutiaohu, about 25 miles from Mukden (now Shenyang), the capital of Manchuria. Japanese soldiers detonate an explosive on the Japanese-owned Southern Manchurian Railway. Chinese soldiers retaliate with gunfire. The Japanese Kwantung Army reinforces their troops and settles the conflict. The Japanese continue N to Mukden, attack the city and win control the next day. The “Mukden Incident” is the beginning of the Pacific War.

January 1932:
Shanghai. Conducts patrols in the Yangtze River.

20 May 1932:
Cdr Furuki Hiyakuzo (41)(former CO of SATSUKI) is appointed CO.

14 June 1933:
Strands on a rock not listed on a Yangtze waterways map.

August 1933:
Refloated. Undergoes repairs at Shanghai.

15 November 1933:
Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Onishi Shinzo (42) (former XO of JINTSU) is appointed CO.

15 November 1934:
Captain Kon Yasushi (47) is appointed CO.

10 October 1935:
Captain Kuranaga Tuneki (46) (former CO of WAKATAKE) is appointed CO.

11 March 1936:
Captain Arita Mitsugu (44) (former CO of KARUKAYA) is appointed CO.

7 July 1937: The Marco Polo Bridge (The"First China Incident") Incident:
Hun River, Lukuokiao (Peking), China. Japanese troops at the bridge fire blank cartridges during night maneuvers. Chinese troops fire back. Later, the Japanese discover a soldier missing. They demand entry to the Peking (Beijing) suburb of Wanping to look for him, but the Chinese refuse. The Japanese shell the city and an undeclared war on China begins.

July 1937:
Japanese residents in the Yangtze River area are guarded by Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Tanimoto Umataro’s (35) 11th Gunboat Division composed of flagship minelayer YAEYAMA, river gunboats FUTAMI, HOZU and KOTAKA and a detachment of 292 troops of the Shanghai Special Naval Landing Unit, all based at Hankow.

12 November 1937:
Shanghai is captured.

15 November 1937:
Captain Sawa Isao (47) is appointed CO.

January 1939:
Captain Mizoguchi Yasumaro (51) is appointed CO. FUTAMI is temporarily attached to the China Area Fleet’s First China Expeditionary Fleet’s 11th Squadron.

February-May 1939: Operation “T” – Campaign to Occupy Nanchang:
FUTAMI and sister HIRA comprise the Advanced Unit of Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Goga Keijiro’s (38) force in riverine operations in support of the successful seizure of Nanchang, the capital of Kiangsi Province.

15 November 1940:
LtCdr Mizoguchi is promoted Cdr.

10 September 1941:
Cdr Okumura Saburo (50) is appointed CO.

December 1941:
Attached to the China Area Fleet’s First China Expeditionary Fleet.

1 August 1942:
LtCdr Kanei Keiichi (55) is appointed CO.

20 August 1943:
Attached to the China Area Fleet’s Yangtze Area Special Base Force.

1 May 1944:
Lt Cdr Kanei is promoted Cdr.

October 1944:
FUTAMI and sister ship ATAMI are attached to the Shinpen Corps gunboat fleet under command of the China Area Fleet.

February 1945:
Cdr Sakamoto Akira is appointed CO.

15 August 1945:
Shanghai. Notice of the termination of the war is received.

30 September 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

FUTAMI is ceded to the Republic of China as a war reparation. Renamed YUNG AN.

Afer the Chinese civil war, surrendered to Chinese Communists and renamed by the People’s Liberation Navy.

Author's Notes:
Thanks go to Matthew Jones for help in identifying COs.

-Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp

Back to Gunboat Page