IJN Subchaser CH-41:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2008-2018 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 14

15 February 1942:
Koyagi Island. Laid down at the Kawaminami yard.

26 October 1942:
Launched and numbered CH-41

31 January 1943:
Completed and registered in the Yokosuka Naval District and assigned to the Yokosuka Guard Force. Escorts convoys between Yokosuka and Kobe.

1 May 1943:
Reattached to the newly-established 52nd Base Force (Ominato) with the minelayer TOKIWA, CH-43 and others.

15 May 1943:
Escorts a convoy from the Tsugaru Straits to the Soya Straits.

17 May 1943:
Arrives at Wakkanai.

20 May 1943:
Departs Wakkanai and undertakes a submarine sweep off Motta Misaki and Okushiri Island.

22 May 1943:
Arrives at Otaru and later transfers to Ominato.

22 June 1943:
Departs Hakodate with auxiliary patrol boat MIYA MARU escorting convoy No. 2623 consisting of nine unidentified merchant ships.

31 July 1943:
At 1045 arrives at Ominato.

14 August 1943:
At 0720 departs Ominato. CH-43 departs at 0800.

6 September 1943:
Minesweepers W-23 and W-24, submarine chasers CH-41 and CH-43 and minelayer TOKIWA transfer to Mutsu Wan and undertakes training exercises.

11 September 1943:
All ships return to Ominato.

13 September 1943:
CH-41 departs Ominato and later that day arrives at Hakodate.

17 September 1943:
Shiriyasaki Sea, off Aomori Prefecture, NE Honshu. At 0735, floatplane No. 17, one of a detachment of Ominato Naval Air Group’s floatplanes dispatched to Cape Shiriya Zaki for anti-submarine patrols, spots a moving oil slick only two miles from Shiriya Zaki, bearing 320. The aircraft drops two depth charges and alerts Ominato Naval District HQ of the sighting. CH-41 and converted patrol boat MIYA MARU are dispatched to the area, the former from Hakodate, where they are directed to the target by the floatplane.

At 1010, MIYA MARU makes three depth charge attacks. At 1050, converted patrol boats HIGASHI-NIPPON MARU No. 2 and MIZUHO MARU arrive. After 1110, each vessel attacks the target, which is moving eastward. These attacks stop the target.

Later, minelayer ASHIZAKI arrives from Hakodate, followed by minelayer ISHIZAKI from Muroran. At 1340, ASHIZAKI makes a depth-charge attack and large quantities of oil is seen to float to the surface. At 1450, ISHIZAKI makes a follow-up attack. After each explosion the oil slick further extends. ISHIZAKI remains in the area, while the smaller vessels returned to Ohata port to replenish their supply of depth charges.

ASHIZAKI makes another attack with seven depth charges. Gushing oil is seen and her CO reports the sub as sunk. Nevertheless, at 1500, CH-41 makes a last attack before sundown, then returns to Hachinohe harbor. [1]

19 September 1943:
Departs Hachinohe escorting a convoy to Hakodate.

20 September 1943:
Arrives at Hakodate.

21 September 1943:
Departs Hakodate escorting a convoy to Hachinohe.

23 September 1943:
Arrives at Hachinohe.

25 September 1943:
Departs Hachinohe escorting a convoy to Muroran.

26 September 1943:
Arrives at Muroran.

27 September 1943:
Departs Muroran on an anti submarine patrol and then escorts a convoy.

2 October 1943:
Arrives at Hachinohe.

3 October 1943:
Departs Hachinohe.

7 October 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka and enters drydock.

16 October 1943:
Departs Yokosuka on an anti submarine patrol.

20 October 1943:
At 1400, departs Ominato escorting RYUA MARU.

21 October 1943:
At 1500, arrives at Odomari. Later that day transfers to Otaru.

22 October 1943:
Departs Otaru escorting a convoy and then undertakes an anti submarine sweep.

26 October 1943:
Arrives at Wakkanai.

30 October 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep.

1 November 1943:
Arrives back a Wakkanai and immediately departs escorting NAGATA MARU to Ominato.

3 November 1943:
Arrives at Ominato.

9 November 1943:
Departs Ominato and anchors in Sendai Wan.

10 November 1943:
Departs Sendai Wan on an anti submarine sweep.

11 November 1943:
Arrives at Otaru.

13 November 1943:
Departs Otaru escorting AWAJI MARU to Wakkanai.

14 November 1943:
Arrives at Wakkanai.

15 November 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep.

17 November 1943:
Returns to Wakkanai.

21 November 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep.

23 November 1943:
Arrives at Wakkanai.

25 November 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep en route to Ominato.

26 November 1943:
Arrives at Ominato.

1 December 1943:
The minelayer TOKIWA, submarine chasers CH-41 and CH-43 and and minesweepers W-23 and W-24 undertake training exercises at sea.

4 December 1943:
All transfer to Mutsu Wan and undertake further training.

6 December 1943:
CH-41 and CH-43 arrive back at Ominato.

9 December 1943:
CH-41 departs Ominato.

10 December 1943:
Arrives at Otaru.

12 December 1943:
Departs Otaru on an anti submarine sweep.

13 December 1943:
Arrives at Wakkanai.

14 December 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep.

15 December 1943:
Arrives back at Wakkanai.

16 December 1943:
Departs Wakkanai on an anti submarine sweep.

19 December 1943:
Arrives at Ominato.

20 December 1943:
Departs Ominato for Sasebo via Maizuru, escorting minelayer ex armored cruiser TOKIWA.

29 December 1943:
Departs Sasebo on an anti submarine sweep.

January 1944:
Reassigned to the Southwest Area Fleet’s 1st Southern Expeditionary Fleet’s 11th Special Base Force at Saigon, Indochina.

19 January 1944:
Departs Yokohama on a convoy escort mission.

22 January 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

23 January 1944:
At 1000 CH-41 departs Moji with subchaser CH-43 escorting convoy No. 131 consisting of TOTTORI, NORFOLK, ARABIA, AKAGISAN, USSURI, HAWAII, CHOJO MARUs and two unidentified merchant ships. Later that day tanker TONAN MARU No. 2 joins from Sasebo.

28 January 1944:
At 2400 arrives at Takao.

31 January 1944:
CH-41 departs Takao for Cap St Jacques, Indochina with subchaser CH-43 and auxiliary gunboat HUASHAN (KAZAN) MARU escorting convoy No. 357 consisting of TSUKUBA, ANKO, TOTTORI, NORFOLK, ARABIA, AKAGISAN, USSURI, HAWAII MARUs, TONAN MARU No. 2 and four unidentified merchant ships.

4 February 1944:
Arrives at Nha Trang.

5 February 1944:
Departs Nha Trang.

E 7 February 1944:
Arrives at St Jacques.

8 February 1944:
CH-41 arrives back at Camranh Bay.

9 February 1944:
Southern Indochina. At about noon, while TONAN MARU No. 2 is enroute to Nagasaki, LtCdr (later Cdr) Thomas W. Hogan’s (USNA ’31) USS BONEFISH (SS-223) torpedoes and damages her at 11-30N, 109-08E. Hogan claims four hits out of five torpedoes he fires.

Later that day, USN codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message that reads: "Order to Subchasers No. 21, 41, and 43 to attack the submarine that attacked TONAN MARU No. 2."

CH-41 and CH-43 both depart Camranh Bay later that day on an anti submarine hunt.

11 February 1944:
Both CH-41 and CH-43 arrive at Saigon.

15 February 1944:
CH-41 and CH-43 depart Saigon. CH-41 is escorting convoy SATA-04 consisting of SHOZUI, BIZEN, HAVRE MARUs and five unidentified merchant ships.

16 February 1944:
The convoys arrives at Camranh Bay.

17 February 1944:
The convoy departs Camranh Bay.

21 February 1944:
CH-41 that at some point has detached from SATA-04 arrives back at Camranh Bay.

22 February 1944:
Departs Camranh Bay and later returns to port.

23 February 1944:
Aware of enemy submarine activity in area ahead of the convoy, at 1730, convoy HI-43 then consisting of MANEI MARU, EIYO MARU No. 2 and OSE with kaibokan TSUSHIMA as escort sails towards Camranh Bay. CH-41 arrives as an additional escort for the convoy.

25 February 1944:
HI-43 arrives at Camranh Bay.

27 February 1944:
CH-41 departs Camranh Bay on an anti submarine sweep.

29 February 1944:
At 0900, CH-41 arrives back at Camranh Bay and detaches from HI-43.

1 March 1944:
CH-21, CH-41 and CH-43 depart Camranh Bay (CH-21 and CH-41) and Saigon (CH-43) escorting combined convoy SATA-06 and SATA-07 from Camranh Bay consisting of MANKO, KENZUI, SAINEI, KOAN MARUs, UNKAI MARU No. 12, and seven unidentified merchant ships.

3 March 1944:
The convoy with all three escorts arrive at Van Phong Bay.

4 March 1944:
The convoy with all three escorts depart Van Phong Bay.

6 March 1944:
Convoy TASA-08 departs Takao for Cap St Jacques, Indochina via Yulin, China auxiliary gunboat PEKING MARU escorting convoy TASA-08 consisting of NICHIREI, LONDON, ISHIKARI, CHEFOO, SAINAN, SHINGU and TOYOKUNI MARUs and one unidentified merchant ship. That same day SATA-06/SATA-07 arrives at Yulin.

7 March 1944:
SATA-06/07 depart Yulin. At an unspecified time and place the convoy meets up with southbound convoy TASA-08 and the three submarine chasers take over escort of this convoy.

8 March 1944:
SE of Hong Kong. At 1455, LtCdr (later Cdr) Lowell T. Stone’s (USNA ’29) USS LAPON (SS-260) torpedoes and damages TOYOKUNI MARU in TASA-08. The ship is carrying 2473 tons of general cargo and Army materials. She loses power and goes dead in the water. NICHIREI MARU takes her in tow.

9 March 1944:
At 0150, while NICHIREI MARU is still towing TOYOKUNI MARU, USS LAPON torpedoes NICHIREI MARU. LtCdr Stone also torpedoes and hits TOYOKUNI MARU again. She floods and sinks. 15 crewmen are KIA. At about 0500, NICHIREI MARU sinks. Six escort troopers and 46 crewmen are killed. CH-21 and the other escorts, including an aircraft, counterattack, but fail to damage USS LAPON.

10 March 1944:
Arrives at Qui Nhon, Indochina.

12 March 1944:
Departs Qui Nhon.

14 March 1944:
Arrives at St Jacques (Saigon).

17 March 1944:
Arrives at Saigon.

22 March 1944:
CH-21 and CH-41 depart Saigon and later that day arrive at St Jacques.

23 March 1944:
CH-41 and CH-21 depart St Jacques escorting convoy SATA-12 consisting of HAWAII, YOSHU, NORFOLK, ARABIA, RYOFU MARUs and KOTO MARU No. 2 GO. The convoy also sailed with convoy SAMA-03 consisting of DAKAR, UGO and MIYAURA MARUs for Manila. These ships detach at some point en route.

27 March 1944:
Arrives at Manila. Both escorts are detached from the convoy.

1 April 1944:
CH-21 and CH-41 depart Manila escorting convoy MASA-02 consisting of unidentified merchant ships.

3 April 1944 :
Destroyer ASAGAO departs Takao escorting convoy TASA-16 consisting of PACIFIC, RYUKO, YULIN, NIKKIN (or HIGANE), CHIHAYA, SHINEI, SHOKEI and ANKO MARUs.

5 April 1944:
CH-41 is detached and arrives at Camranh Bay.

7 April 1944:
CH-41 departs Camranh Bay and meets up with incoming TASA-16 convoy.

9 April 1944:
Near St Jacques, CH-41 and ASAGAO are detached and join the escort of convoy SATA-17 that departs St Jacques that day consisting of MANTAI MARU and two unidentified merchant ships escorted by kaibokan CD-8, torpedo boat HATSUKARI and one unidentified auxiliary.

10 April 1944:
SATA-17 arrives at Camranh Bay and merges with convoy SATA-14 consisting of six unidentified merchant ships escorted by subchaser CH-19.

11 April 1944:
Departs Camranh Bay.

13 April 1944:
CH-41 returns to Camranh Bay.

18 April 1944:
The convoy arrives at Takao.

23 April 1944:
CH-41 departs Camranh Bay.

24 April 1944:
CH-41 arrives at Saigon.

1 May 1944:
CH-41 and CH-43 depart Saigon briefly, before returning to port later that day.

6 May 1944:
CH-41 and CH-43 depart Saigon escorting a convoy consisting of NORWAY, TEIYU (ex Italian CARIGNANO) and MURORAN MARUs.

7 May 1943:
At 1300 departs St Jacques.

13 May 1944:
Arrives at Manila.

17 May 1944:
CH-41 and CH-43 depart Manila escorting a convoy consisting of WALES, BIZEN and TOYO MARUs.

20 May 1944:
Arrives at Victoria, Labuan Island.

22 May 1944:
At 0600, departs Victoria.

23 May 1944:
At about 2300, LtCdr (later Cdr) Lowell T. Stone's (USNA ’29) USS LAPON (SS-260) torpedoes and sinks WALES MARU at 07-20N, 109-03E. At the time the ship was carrying Unit 234 of Independent Flight Corps of 1000 men and 50 of them as well as 13 crewmen are killed.

24 May 1944:
At 0244, USS LAPON torpedoes and sinks BIZEN MARU at 07-30N, 109-08E. Three guards and 22 crewmen are killed

25 May 1944:
Arrives at St Jacques.

28 May 1944:
CH-41 and CH-43 depart St Jacques and later arrives at Saigon.

31 May 1944:
Departs Saigon and transfers to the Philippines.

3 June 1944:
Submarine chasers CH-41 and CH-46,and kaibokan CD-3 depart Manila escorting convoy H-28 consisting of GENKAI, ATSUTA, HINODE, TSUKUBASAN, KANKYO, YUKI and PACIFIC MARUs.

5 June 1944:
At 0900 off Cebu, minesweeper W-28 meets up with the convoy.

13 June 1944:
At 1200 arrives at Kau.

16 June 1944:
At 0600 submarine chasers CH-41 and CH-46, minesweeper W-5 and kaibokan CD-3 depart Kau for Manila escorting joint convoy M-23 and M-24 consisting of GENKAI, ATSUTA, HINODE, TSUKUBASAN, BELGIUM, TEIYU (Ex Italian CARIGNANO), MURORAN, KANKYO, YUKI and PACIFIC MARUs.

21 June 1944:
At 0700 minesweeper W-28 departs Manila to meet up with M-23 and M-24 convoy which it escorts part way.

17 June 1944:
Arrives at Menado where W-5 and the M-23 section of three ships (including YUKI MARU) are detached.

2 July 1944:
Departs Manila with CH-46 and patrol boat PB-104 escorting convoy H-31 consisting of TOSHO, ASAHISAN, SHINKOKU and MINO MARUs. TOSHO MARU is towing the hyoteki (midget sub) HA-58.

11 July 1944:
Arrives at Bitung, Celebes.

13 July 1944:
At 0600 departs Bitung.

14 July 1944:
Arrives off Kau Bay. Because of reports of enemy minelaying the ships wait at the northern entrance to the bay. As TOSHO MARU slows to anchor HA-58 comes to the surface and is sighted by a patrolling aircraft that mistakes the midget submarine for an enemy submarine and attacks it with bombs, inflicting minor damage. At 1330 the ships arrive at Kau.

15 July 1944:
At 0500 departs Kau with CH-46 and Patrol Boat PB-104 escorting convoy M-27 consisting of HAVRE, SHIRAHAMA, RYOCHI MARUs and possibly others.

16 July 1944:
At 0100 arrives at Bitung.

21 July 1944:
Departs Bitung for Manila.

2 August 1944:
CH-19 depart Saigon escorting convoy SAMA-10 consisting of SHIROGANESAN, CHINZEI MARUs and one unidentified merchant ship.

4 August 1944:
CH-41 departs Manila

E 5 August 1944:
CH-41 meets up with SAMA-10.

6 August 1944:
At 0312, LtCdr (later Captain) Henry G. Munson's (USNA ’32) USS RASHER (SS-269) torpedoes and sinks SHIROGANESAN MARU at 14-10N, 117-02E. She was loaded with 500 tons of ammunition and 5,720 tons of rice. Because of bad weather no boats could be launched. 22 crewmen, 14 gunners and 15 passengers are KIA.

7 August 1944:
CH-41 and the convoy arrives at Manila. Later that day, CH-41 departs Manila with kaibokan SHIMUSHU, CD-22 (or CD-26) and minesweeper W-28 escorting convoy MI-11 consisting of TEIRITSU (ex-French Liner LECONTE DE LISLE), MISAKI, SHICHIYO, MIHO, HACHIJIN, AYAYUKI, AYAKUMO, ENOSHIMA and TAKETOYO MARUs.

12 August 1944:
Arrives at Miri.

16 August 1944:
At 0700, CH-41 departs Miri with kaibokan SHIMUSHU, CD-7, CD-16 and CD-28 and subchasers CH-30 and CH-33 escorting convoy MI-12 consisting of TAKETOYO, NORFOLK, UGA, JINEI, KINRYU, GYOKUYO (OYO), JUNGEN GO and GYOSAN MARUs and unknown KAITO MARU and tankers TAKETOYO, TAIEI, SEISHIN and NANSEI MARUs.

18 August 1944:
At 1352, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) William T. Kinsella's (USNA ’34) USS RAY (SS-271) torpedoes and sinks NANSEI MARU (ex-British PLEIODON) at 08-39N, 116-39E. Three Gunners and 23 crewmen are killed. The convoy is ordered to seek shelter.

20 August 1944:
At 1930, arrives at Paluan Bay, NW Mindoro.

21 August 1944:
At 0556, departs Paluan Bay. Soon after, kaibokan CD-28 attacks an enemy submarine contact. At 0720, a wolfpack consisting of USS GUITARRO, USS HADDO, USS HARDER, USS RAY and USS MUSKALLUNGE make the first of a series of successful attacks. TAKETOYO MARU carrying a cargo of drummed oil and gasoline is torpedoed and sunk at 13-23N 120-19E. 13 crewmen are KIA.

At 0730, NORFOLK MARU is torpedoed and sunk by USS HADDO in the same position. One Gunner and 16 crewmen are KIA. At 0800, KINRYU MARU carrying a cargo of bauxite is torpedoed and sunk. 65 of soldiers and three crewmen are KIA. At 0825, UGA MARU is torpedoed and sunk, both at 13-27N 120-17E. 96 of the passengers, two ship’s gunners and 29 crewmen on UGA MARU are killed.

22 August 1944:
At 2200, arrives at Manila.

25 August 1944:
CH-41 departs Manila.

26 August 1944:
CH-41 returns to Manila.

27 August 1944:
At 0900, CH-41 departs Manila with kaikoban SHIMUSHU, ETOROFU, SHONAN, CD-7 and CD-28 and patrol boat PB-102 (ex-USS STEWART, DD-224) escorting convoy MAMO-02 consisting of KASHI, NISSHO and NOTO MARUs and IJA landing craft depot ship MAYASAN MARU. At 1548, anchors in Subic Bay.

28 August 1944:
At 0600, departs Subic Bay.

30 August 1944:
At 1900 arrives at Takao. CH-41, patrol boat PB-102 and kaibokan CD-7 and CD-28 are detached.

31 August 1944:
At 1200 W-20 and CH-41, departs Takao escorting tanker RIKKO MARU. CH-41 breaks off on a submarine hunt.

1 September 1944:
At 1910 ceases the hunt and makes for Mako.

2 September 1944:
At 1130 arrives at Mako.

4 September 1944:
CH-41 departs Mako, and joins destroyers SHIOKAZE and KURETAKE, kaibokan CD-18 and minelayer YURISHIMA that have departed Moji for Miri, Borneo escorting 15-ship convoy MI-17 with minesweepers W-17, W-20 and W-41 consisting of tanker SHIMOTSU MARUs and cargo ships BAIKAL, AMAHI, DAITEN, NORWAY, ARAOSAN, NICHIZUI, HOKUREI, SHUYO MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8 and likely YOZAN MARU and two unidentified ships.

6 September 1944:
At 1500, arrives at Aparri, Luzon. W-17, W-20 and W-41 are detached as well as NORWAY, AMAHI, HOKUREI, BAIKAL, DAITEN, ARAOSAN and likely YOZAN and SHUYO MARUs. At 2300 CH-41 departs port.

7 September 1944:
At 1100 commences a submarine sweep with W-17.

8 September 1944:
At 0200 CH-41 and W-17 meet up with convoy TAMA-25 with destroyers HATSUHARU and HIBIKI, kaibokan CD-1, CD-3, CD-5, CD-7, torpedo-boat HIYODORI, minesweeper W-20, subchaser CH-63 and auxiliary subchaser CHa-67 that have departed Takao for Manila with the convoy consisting of KOGYO, MANSHU, ATSUTA, EKKAI, NANREI, ROZAN, EIMAN, TOYOOKA and HOKUSEN MARUs. Previously known as MOTA-23, this convoy was enroute to Takao before being diverted to Keelung. The convoy is carrying reinforcements, equipment and ammunition for the defense of the Philippine Islands.

9 September 1944:
43 miles NW of Calayan Island. At about 0315, TOYOOKA MARU is torpedoed by LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA ’33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). She sinks five minutes later at 19-45N, 120-55E. 1,036 soldiers and nine crewmen are killed. At 0319, MANSHU MARU is hit by a torpedo from USS QUEENFISH and sinks by the stern. She was carrying 1,492 men of the 42nd Infantry Regiment, plus her crew. 900 are killed. At 2120, the convoy seeks temporary shelter at Aparri. At 2250, the convoy departs hugging the coast.

10 September 1944:
At 1714 the convoy arrives at San Fernando.

11 September 1944:
At 0400 CH-41 and W-17 are detached on a submarine hunt.

12 September 1944:
At 1200 arrives at Takao.

14 September 1944:
At 1200 departs Takao with W-17 on an escort mission to Basco, Batan Island. At 1800 arrives at Tuan Pi, southern Formosa.

15 September 1944:
At 0630 departs Tuan Pi and at 1600 arrives at Basco. Departs at 1820.

16 September 1944:
At 1200 arrives at Takao.

18 September 1944:
At 0630, CH-41 departs Takao for Manila with CH-20 and CH-63 and minesweepers W-17 and W-20 escorting convoy TAMA-26 consisting of MIZUHO, SHIRANESAN, EIMAN, ARABIA, TOSHIKAWA, HOTEN, TSINGTAO, AWAJI and NICHINAN (1945 grt) MARUs and TOYO MARU No. 3. At 1745 arrives at Tapan Lieh, southern Formosa.

19 September 1944:
At 0900 departs Tapan Lieh. At 2130 arrives at Sabtang Channel and temporarily anchors.

20 September 1944:
At 0300 departs Sabtang Channel and at 2000 arrives at Musa, Fuga Island.

21 September 1944:
At 0300, the convoy departs Musa Bay. HOTEN MARU has engine trouble and remains at Musa Bay. At 0700, a Japanese aircraft flies to a position forward of the convoy from which it dive-bombs a submarine. At 0705, Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Glynn R. Donaho's (USNA ’27) USS PICUDA (SS-382) torpedoes and sinks AWAJI MARU with 600 passengers and 500-tons of ammunition aboard, at 18-43N, 120-53E. 284 passengers, 3 escort troops and 40 crewmen, a total of 327 people are killed. NICHINAN MARU rescues survivors. At 0835, Cdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Louis D. McGregor's (USNA ’30) USS REDFISH (SS-395) torpedoes and sinks MIZUHO MARU at 18-37N, 120-41E. 1,313 passengers three gunners and 81 crewmen of the 5,415 persons she was carrying are lost with her. W-17 counterattacks while the other vessels pick up survivors. Motorized sailboats BANGI and SAROMAGE rescue 268 survivors. At 2215, the convoy arrives at Lapoc Bay.

24 September 1944:
At 1030, CH-41 and W-17 arrive at Lapoc. Departs at 1858.

26 September 1944:
At 1645, arrives at North San Fernando.

29 September 1944:
At 0700 departs North San Fernando.

30 September 1944:
Arrives at Santa Cruz.

1 October 1944:
At 2056, TAMA-26 arrives at Manila.

4 October 1944:
At 0300 CH-41 departs Manila with minesweepers W-20 and W-41 escorting MATA-28 convoy consisting of KOHOKU, HOKUREI, BUNZAN, SHOEI (2764 gt), HOKUSEN, TERUKUNI, HISHIGATA (ex Panamanian BISAYAS) MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8. At 1900 arrives at Santa Cruz.

5 October 1944:
At 0600 departs Santa Cruz and at 1800 arrives at San Fernando.

6 October 1944:
At 0618, CH-41, CH-28, CH-30 and CH-33 depart N San Fernando with kaibokan CD-8, CD-32 and CD-25, and minesweeper W-20 escorting combined MATA-28 and MIMA-11 convoys consisting of KOHOKU, HOKUREI, BUNZAN, SHOEI (2764 gt), HOKUSEN, TERUKUNI, HISHIGATA (ex Panamanian BISAYAS) and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8 with oilers KAMOI and TACHIBANA MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2.

At about 0800, LtCdr Henry C. Stevenson's (USNA ’30) USS ASPRO (SS-309) attacks the convoy. Stevenson fires three torpedoes by periscope at a tanker and claims one hit, but actually achieves no results. At 1530, LtCdr William C. Thompson's (USNA ’35) USS CABRILLA (SS-288) torpedoes HOKUREI MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2. YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 sinks with the loss of 56 crewmen. HOKUREI MARU is badly damaged and beached off Vigan. Five passengers and four crewmen are killed in the torpedo attack. At 1830, the convoy retires to Lapoc Bay, Philippines.

7 October 1944:
At 0030, the rest of convoy departs for Yulin, Hainan Island, except for TERUKUNI and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8. At 0600, TACHIBANA MARU and KAMOI accompanied by kaibokan CD-8 are detached.

8 October 1944:
At 2325, LtCdr (later Cdr) Victor B. McCrea's (USNA ’32) USS HOE (SS-258) torpedoes and sinks KOHOKU MARU at 18-31N, 116-00E. At the time the ship was carrying 518 Japanese being repatriated as well as 610 m3 of war supplies. 361 passengers, 10 armed guards, 5 watchmen and 41 crewmen are killed– a total of 417 men KIA. CH-41 and CD-25 launch an immediate depth charge attack while CD-32 and W-20 shepherd the convoy away from the area.

9 October 1944:
Air raids on Takao are imminent, so at 1600 the convoy is ordered to Hong Kong.

11 October 1944:
At 1013, the convoy without stopping arrives at Hong Kong.

27 October 1944:
At 1958 CH-41 departs Hong Kong with CH-30, CH-33 and minesweeper W-20 escorting convoy HOMA-01 consisting of HAMBURG, YASUKUNI, EIWA, KANSHU (ex British KANCHOW) and SHINETSU MARUs and NISSHO MARU No. 18.

30 October 1944:
At 1358 arrives at Takao.

1 November 1944:
At 1800, CH-41 departs Takao for Manila with old destroyer KURETAKE, kaibokan CD-7, CD-1 and CD-3, mineweeper W-27 and fleet supply ship KURASAKI escorting convoy MOMA-06 consists of HAMBURG, TOTTORI, EIWA, ATLAS, DAITOKU, SHINSHO, KAKOGAWA, SEKIHO and SEIWA MARUs and tankers SHIMOTSU and ASOKAWA MARUs.

2 November 1944:
At 2305, LtCdr John B. Hess’s (USNA ’37) USS POMFRET (SS-391) torpedoes and damages ATLAS MARU carrying a deck cargo of Shinyo Explosive Motor Boats (EMBs) and 1,325 troops, many from the 2nd Tank Division’s 2nd Battalion, 2nd Mobile Infantry, and other passengers.

3 November 1944:
At 0435, Hess attacks ATLAS MARU again, but misses. At 0500, USS POMFRET also torpedoes and damages HAMBURG MARU. Three of the 415 troops carried onboard, a gunner and 18 crewmen are KIA. At 1850, one of the escorts scuttles her. At 2000 the convoy anchors at Sabtang Is.

4 November 1944:
About 1330, ATLAS MARU finally goes aground. The 13th Shinyo Squadron loses its 50 EMBs and 79 of its 187 men. Torpedo boat SAGI arrives from Takao and joins the escort.

6 November 1944:
At 0253 departs Sabtang Island with minesweepers W-17 and W-18 as additional escorts.

8 November 1944:
Off Cape Bolinao, Luzon. LtCdr Guy E. O'Neil, Jr’s (USNA ’37) USS GUNNEL (SS-253) torpedoes and sinks SAGI. The convoy later arrives at Santa Cruz, Philippines at 1730.

9 November 1944:
Warned of a typhoon in the area, the convoy departs the same day at 0630 and arrives at Manila Bay at 2238.

10 November 1944:
At 0925, convoy MOMA-06 arrives at Manila harbor.

13 November 1944:
At 2109 departs Manila escorting an unidentified convoy.

17 November 1944:
At 1719 arrives at Saigon.

20 November 1944:
At 1205, CH-41 departs St Jacques, Indochina with minesweepers W-18, W-17 and W-20 escorting convoy SATA-02 consisting of HIDA MARU.

21 November 1944:
At 2030, arrives at Camranh Bay, Indochina.

22 November 1944:
At 0725, departs Camranh Bay. At 1820, arrives Van Phong Bay.

23 November 1944:
At 0720, departs Van Phong Bay. At 1345, CH-41 is detached from the convoy and carries out an anti submarine sweep outside Camranh Bay for the next few days.

30 November 1944:
Arrives at Camranh Bay.

3 December 1944:
At 1114 CH-41, together with submarine chasers CH-34 departs St Jacques in convoy SASHI-35 believed to consist of the storeship NOZAKI, KATSUURA MARU and FUSHIMI MARU No. 2.

7 December 1944:
At 0945 arrives at Singapore.

11 December 1944:
CH-41 arrives back at Camranh Bay from where the vessel undertakes anti submarine patrols.

18 December 1944:
Departs Camranh Bay escorting a convoy.

24 December 1944:
Arrives at Saigon. Docked for repairs for all of January 1945.

8 February 1945:
Departs Saigon on transport mission.

10 February 1945:
Returns to Saigon.

17 February 1945:
Departs Saigon escorting small cargo ship TENSHA MARU No. 21 to Camranh Bay.

22 February 1945:
French Indochina. CH-41 is damaged by aircraft at 10-15N, 107-15E. Later that day arrives back at Saigon.

15 August 1945: End of Hostilities:
Singapore. CH-41’s crewmen are notified of the surrender of Japan.

11 July 1946:
S of Singapore. Scuttled at sea.[2]

10 August 1946:
Removed from the Navy List..

Authors' Notes:
[1] The attacks possibly sink LtCdr Willis M. Thomas' (USNA ’31) USS POMPANO (SS-181).

[2] According to a different source CH-41 was scuttled on 3 August 1946.

Thanks go to John Whitman for info on CNO intercepts of Japanese messages and to Mr. Gilbert Casse for general assistance.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall.

Back to Subchaser Page