(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-8:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2007-2015 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 7

20 October 1943:
Nagasaki. Laid down at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ shipyard.

10 January 1944:
Reserve LtCdr Kawamoto Genzo is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

11 January 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-8.

29 February 1944:
CD-8 is commissioned and registered in the IJN. Attached to Sasebo Naval District. LtCdr Kawamoto is the Commanding Officer. Assigned to Kure Guard Force.

1-6 March 1944:
Works up in Saeki Bay while still based in Sasebo.

25 March 1944:
Assigned to the General Escort Command’s First Surface Escort Division.

1 April 1944:
CD-8 departs Moji with escort carrier KAIYO, kaibokan IKI, ETOFORU, CD-9 and torpedo boat SAGI escorting convoy HI-57 consisting of oilers ITSUKUSHIMA, OTOWASAN, RYOEI and OMUROSAN MARUs, IJA landing craft depot ships SHINSHU and MAYASAN MARUs and probably tankers SHINCHO and ZUIHO MARUs and an unidentified ship.

2 April 1944:
The convoy encounters extremely severe weather and returns to Moji.

3 April 1944:
At 0600, the unchanged convoy departs Moji.

7 April 1944:
At 1450, arrives at Takao.

8 April 1944:
At 1000, departs Takao.

9 April 1944:
CD-8 departs St Jacques with torpedo boat HATSUKARI and one unidentified maru auxiliary escorting convoy SATA-17 consisting of MANTAI MARU and two unidentified merchant ships. Near St Jacques, destroyer ASAGAO and subchaser CH-41 join the escort.

10 April 1944:
Arrives at Camranh Bay and merges with SATA-14 consisting of six unidentified merchant ships escorted by subchaser CH-19

11 April 1944:
Departs Camranh Bay.

18 April 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

20 April 1944:
Departs Keelung with old destroyer HASU, subchaser CH-8 and auxiliary subchaser TAKUNAN MARU No. 3 escorting convoy TAMO-17 consisting of TOTTORI, SUGIYAMA, KYOKUZAN, KENEI, TOKUSHIMA, HIROTA, IWATO and HIDA MARUs and sixteen unidentified merchant ships.

That same day, CD-8 is reassigned to the General Escort Command’s First Surface Escort Division.

27 April 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

1 May 1944:
CD-8 departs Moji with destroyer ASAGAO, kaibokan CD-1, CD-20 and auxiliary netlayer KAINAN MARU escorting convoy TE-05 consisting of YAMADORI, HIYORI, HIOKI, KOKUSEI, HIKACHI, NICHIWA, SHONAN MARUs and KYOEI MARU No.2.

7 May 1944:
Arrives at Keelung.

9 May 1944:
CD-8 departs Keelung.

13 May 1944:
YAMADORI MARU is detached for Hong Kong.

14 May 1944:
Arrives at Yulin.

19 May 1944:
CD-8 departs Yulin with kaibokan CD-1 and CD-20 and auxiliary netlayer KAINAN MARU escorting convoy HO-01 consisting of SHONAN MARU (5401 GRT) and five unidentified merchant ships.

24 May 1944:
At 1900, convoy MISHI-02 departs Miri for Singapore consisting of MEXICO, IMAHARU and IIDA MARUs and NANSHIN MARU No. 2 and NANSHIN MARU No. 6 escorted by minesweeper W-18 and auxiliary Minesweeper CHOUN MARU No. 7. Enroute, CD-8, CD-1, and CD-20 join the escort.

29 May 1944:
At 1252, arrives at Singapore.

3 June 1944:
At 1000, CD-8 departs Singapore for Moji with minelayer AOTAKA and kaibokan CD-1, CD-15 and CD-20 escorting bauxite convoy HO-02 consisting of NASUSAN, TAMAHOKO, TAINAN, KENNICHI, SHONAN, TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE), NICHIWA and HIOKI, HIYORI MARUs and KONAN MARU No. 1, tanker HONAN MARU and nine unidentified ships.

6 June 1944:
160 miles off Cape St. Jacques, Indochina. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) James W. Davis' (USNA ‘30) USS RATON (SS-270) attacks the convoy. At 2225, Davis torpedoes CD-15. She breaks in two and sinks S of Nishinotorishima Island at 08-57N, 109-17E. 104 crewmen are KIA. CD-8 and CD-20 rescue 34 survivors. The escorts counter-attack. RATON is damaged by depth charges, but remains on patrol.

11 June 1944:
Arrives at Manila. CD-8 detaches from the convoy.

24 June 1944:
At 0630 CD-8, CD-17 and ETOROFU departs Manila in convoy MATA-23 consisting of SAN PEDRO, MEDAN, KONSAN, RIKKO, KAMO, USSURI, NICHIZUI, TASMNIA, TOUN and DAITEN MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships.

25 June 1944:
At 0430 SAN PEDRO MARU is torpedoed by LtCdr Arthur E. Krapf’s (USNA ’34) USS JACK (SS-259) and sunk in position 16-09N 119-41E with the loss of 25 passengers, eight crewmen and two of her guard force. NICHIZUI MARU rescues the survivors.

26 June 1944:
The destroyer ASAGAO departs Manila with kaibokan CD-2, auxiliary subchaser TAKUNAN MARU No. 3 escorting convoy MATA-24 consisting of AKANE, AOBASAN, GENKAI, FUKUYO, MIIKESSAN and ATSUTA MARUs.

27 June 1944:
At 0517 in position 21-10N 120-31E MEDAN MARU is torpedoed and sunk by LtCdr Slade D. Cutter’s (USNA ’35) USS SEAHORSE (SS-304) with no survivors. CD-17 unsuccessfully searches for survivors. Later that day USS SEAHORSE attacks again and USSURI MARU is torpedoed in the bows and damaged. CD-8 is shortly after ordered to detach and join MATA-24.

28 June 1944:
At 2320, from within MATA-24 a submarine is sighted at 18-00N, 119-40E. ASAGAO and CD-2 probably were detached to hunt the submarine. CD-8 presumably joins the convoy at this time. It is presumed the convoy sheltered for a pewriod of time.

4 July 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

12 July 1944:
At 1445 CD-8 departs Takao with CD-14, patrol boat P-38, auxiliary patrol boat TAKUNAN MARU No. 3 and minesweeper W-18 escorting convoy MI-06 consisting of tankers ATAGO, TACHIBANA, TOKUWA, JUKO, RIKKO and ZUIHO MARUs, UNKAI MARU No. 5, YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 and OGURA MARU No. 2 and transports TSUYAMA, AKAGISAN, KANKYO, HIROTA, AOBASAN, GENKAI, IWATO and YAGI MARUs.

E 14 July 1944:
TEIKA MARU (ex French CAP VARELLA) joins the convoy from Kirun.

17 July 1944:
At 1450 arrives at Moji.

4 August 1944:
CD-8 departs Moji for Takao with kaibokan HIBURI, FUKUE, ETOROFU, CD-10, CD-25, CD-32 and CH-49, minelayer TAKASHIMA and gunboat UJI escorting convoy MOTA-22 consisting of KENJO, GASSAN, HAKUSAN, TEIKO, TERUKUNI, TACHIBANA, NANREI, GENKAI, TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE), HIOKI, MANSHU, SHIRANESAN, SHONAN, RAKUTO and KOSHIN MARUs and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2, DAIBOSHI MARU No. 6 and five other unidentified ships.

6 August 1944:
Off SW Kyushu. At 0411, LtCdr (later Admiral/CINCPACFLT) Bernard A. Clarey’s (USNA ‘34) USS PINTADO (SS-387) torpedoes and sinks SHONAN MARU at 30-53N, 129-45E. The ship was carrying elements of IJA's 25th Tank Regiment redeploying from Baotau, North China to Formosa, general cargo and four daihatsu barges. Two crew and 3 gunners are KIA.

8 August 1944:
CD-5, CD-6, CD-9 and CD-16 depart Manila with subchaser CH-58 and an unidentified warship escorting convoy MATA-26 consisting of TAKETSU (BUTSU), IKOMASAN, ASAKA MARUs and 18 other unidentified merchant hips.

9 August 1944:
At 1310, KOSHIN MARU's ammunition cargo explodes and the ship sinks at 26-10N, 124-15E. 28 crewmen are KIA.

10 August 1944:
Arrives at Keelung. TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA) and HIOKI MARUs are detached.

14 August 1944:
In the eye of a major typhoon, war built tanker TAKETSU (BUTSU) MARU breaks up, though whether a result of the weather or a drifting mine is unclear. IKOMASAN and ASAKA MARUs are both stranded on islands in the Bashi Island Group, North of Luzon. Both are later refloated.

17 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

22 August 1944:
At 1410, CD-8 departs Takao for Manila with torpedo boat HATO, kaibokan YASHIRO, CD-25, CD-32 and minesweepers W-38, W-39 escorting convoy TAMA-24 consisting of HIOKI, KOTOKU, TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE), RAKUTO, BATOPAHAT, GENKAI, YUKIKAWA and MANSHU MARUs and tankers TACHIBANA and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2.

25 August 1944:
CD-25 and GENKAI MARU are detached from the convoy and go to Pasaleng Bay to offload five MTB's from the deck of damaged HAKKO MARU No. 2 sheltering in the bay with destroyer YUNAGI. YUNAGI is detached and joins TAMA-24.

At 1024, Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Glynn R. Donaho's (USNA ‘29) USS PICUDA (SS-382) torpedoes and sinks KOTOKU MARU at 18-42N, 120-49E with the loss of 16 of her crew. At 1026, in the same position, Donaho torpedoes and sinks YUNAGI as the destroyer attempts a counter-attack. 32 sailors are KIA, the survivors including her CO, LtCdr Iwabuchi Goro (61), are rescued by CD-25. At 1325, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Louis D. McGregor's (USNA ‘30) USS REDFISH (SS-395) torpedoes and sinks BATOPAHAT MARU at 18-31N, 120-32E. The ship was carrying 480 troops, weapons and war supplies. 17 crewmen and an unknown number of passengers are KIA.

28 August 1944:
At 2100, arrives at Manila.

5 September 1944:
CD-8 departs Manila with kaibokan CD-25 and CD-32 escorting convoy MAMI-10 consisting of FUKUJU, TEIHOKU (Ex French PERSEE) and ZUIYO MARUs and four unidentified merchant ships

11 September 1944:
Arrives at Miri.

15 September 1944:
At 1500, CD-8 departs Miri for Manila with kaibokan CD-25, and CD-32 and sub-chaser CH-28 escorting convoy MIMA-11 consisting of fleet oiler KAMOI and TACHIBANA, URAL, YAMAMIZU No. 2, KYOKUHO, SHIKISAN, HOKKI, ZUIYO, TATSUHARU, TENSHIN, SHOEI, OMINE, KYOEI and IMAHARU MARUs (ex-Dutch De KLERK) and SHINSEI MARU No. 1 and KYOEI MARU No. 6. The convoy hugs the coast calling at various small anchorages.

27 September 1944:
At 0807, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Rueben T. Whitaker's USS FLASHER (USNA ‘34) (SS-249) torpedoes and sinks URAL MARU at 15-32N, 117-16E. 40 crewmen, five gunners and 144 passengers are KIA. Two hours later, LtCdr Donald G. Baer's LAPON (USNA ‘33) (SS-260) torpedoes and sinks HOKKI MARU at 15-50N, 117-41E with the loss of two crewmen.

28 September 1944:
At 1000, the convoy arrives at Santa Cruz.

1 October 1944:
At 0700, convoy MIMA-11 departs Santa Cruz. At 1100, LtCdr William C. Thompson's (USNA ‘35) USS CABRILLA (SS-288 )torpedoes and sinks ZUIYO MARU at 16-07N, 119-43E. 19 crewmen, two passengers and 45 survivors of URAL MARU are KIA. At 1155, Thompson torpedoes and sinks KYOKUHO MARU at 16-11N, 119-44E. The large auxiliary oiler was loaded with crude oil and carrying 112 troops. 66 crewmen, nine gunners and 43 soldiers are KIA.

2 October 1944:
Arrives at North San Feranando.

6 October 1944:
At 0618, CD-8 departs N San Fernando as part of escort of combined MATA-28 and MIMA-11 convoys consisting of KOHOKU, HOKUREI, BUNZAN, SHOEI, HOKUSEN, TERUKUNI, HISHIGATA and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8 with oilers KAMOI and TACHIBANA MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 escorted by kaibokan CD-25, CD-32, minesweeper W-20 and subchasers CH-28, CH-30, CH-33 and CH-41.

At about 0800, LtCdr Henry C. Stevenson's (USNA ‘30) USS ASPRO (SS-309) attacks the convoy. Stevenson fires three torpedoes by periscope at a tanker and claims one hit, but actually achieves no results. At 1530, CABRILLA torpedoes HOKUREI MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2. YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 sinks taking down 56 of her 58 crewmen. HOKUREI MARU is badly damaged and beached off Vigan. At 1830, the convoy retires to Lapoc Bay, Philippines.

7 October 1944:
At 0030, the rest of convoy departs except for TERUKUNI and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8. At 0600, TACHIBANA MARU and KAMOI accompanied by kaibokan CD-8 split off and forge ahead.

8 October 1944:
At 1630, the air raid warning for Takao is cancelled. At 1800, the convoy reverses course for Takao. At 2325, KOHOKU MARU is torpedoed and sunk in a night surface radar attack by LtCdr Victor B. McCrae's (USNA ‘32) USS HOE (SS-258). 41 crewmen, 15 gunners and 361 of 417 civilian passengers are KIA. Earlier that night, in a similar attack, McCrae allegedly also torpedoes and heavily damages CD-8.

9 October 1944:
At 0142, Cdr Alan B. Banister's (USNA ‘28) USS SAWFISH (SS-276) makes a night surface radar attack on TACHIBANA MARU. Banister fires 10 torpedoes and gets three hits that sink TACHIBANA MARU loaded with 8,616-tons of oil at 19-33N, 116-38E. CD-8 rescues survivors. 20 passengers are KIA. At 1600, convoy MATA-28 is diverted from Takao to Hong Kong.

E 15 October 1944:
CD-8 joins the escort of convoy HI-76 off Samah. The convoy at this point consists of tankers TENEI, TOHO and KUROSHIO MARUs escorted by escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan KANJU, KURAHASHI and CD-130.

18 October 1944:
CD-25 and CD-32 join the convoy off Samah.

22 October 1944:
CD-8 departs Mako for Moji escorting the remnants of convoy HI-76, now probably consisting of tanker TENEI MARU and possibly TEIHOKU MARU (ex French PERSEE) escorted by kaibokan YASHIRO, KANJU, KURAHASHI, CD-25, CD-130 and escort carrier SHINYO.

24 October 1944:
TENEI MARU has an engine breakdown and falls behind, but later rejoins the convoy.

26 October 1944:
SHINYO is detached to Kure. At 1130, the convoy arrives at Moji.

10 November 1944:
CD-8 departs Miike, Kyushu for Manila with kaibokan CD-9, CD-28, CD-54, auxiliary subchaser CHa-24 and an unidentified warship escorting convoy MOMA-07 consisting of KENJO, NARUO, GYOKUYO, JINYO, FUKUYO, TATSUAKI (TATSUSHO), MIHO, SHIROUMA (HAKUBA), WAYO and SHINFUKU MARUs and MINO MARU No. 1 and KONAN MARU No. 1.

11 November 1944:
Near Cape Ose Sea, Goto Archipelago. At 0906, Cdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Charles E. Loughlin’s (USNA ‘33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393) fires four torpedoes and hits MIHO MARU in the bow. Unable to keep up with the convoy, she heads for Sasebo. The escorts drop 55 depth-charges on USS QUEENFISH, but she remains undamaged.

12 November 1944:
248 miles SW of Nagasaki. At 0420, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral/MOH) Eugene B. Fluckey’s (USNA ‘35) USS BARB (SS-220) torpedoes NARUO and GYOKUYO MARUs at 31-30N 125-57E. NARUO MARU, hit by one or more torpedoes, blows up and sinks instantly. She was carrying 20,000 shells and army troops. These 470 passengers, 131 gunners and all 72 of the crew are killed.

GYOKUYO MARU is hit by a torpedo in the engine spaces. She goes dead in the water and begins to drift. Later, JINYO MARU attempts to tow the cripple, but the towline parts. The passengers are transfered to other ships. The escorts drop seven depth-charges on BARB and inflict slight damage.

At about 0620, LtCdr Robert H. Caldwell’s (USNA ‘36) USS PETO (SS-265) torpedoes TATSUAKI MARU at 31-46N, 125-40E. One strikes No. 2 hold, a huge explosion occurs. She lists over, then explodes. The ship is carrying 18 corps of Naval Volunteers and a total of 125 of them as well as 20 gunners and 65 crewmen are killed. JINYO MARU rushes to the area from where the attack came and drops depth-charges.

13 November 1944:
At 0950, arrives at the Shushan (Chusan) Islands, E of Shanghai.

14 November 1944:
155 miles E of Shanghai. About midnight, LtCdr Gordon W. Underwood’s (USNA ‘32) USS SPADEFISH (SS-411) fires five torpedoes by radar bearings at GYOKUYO MARU being towed by CD-8 towards Shanghai. Hit by several torpedoes, GYOKUYO MARU sinks at 31-04N, 125-58E. Casualties are unknown, but most passengers and crew had been taken off before the sinking.

19 November 1944:
At 1200, the convoy arrives at Takao and is dissolved.

23 November 1944:
At 1530, CD-8 departs Takao for Manila with destroyer KURETAKE, kaibokan CD-1, CD-3, CD-28, CD-54, subchasers CH-17, CH-18, CH-37 and CH-38 escorting convoy TAMA-32A consisting of AKAGISAN, HAGIKAWA, SORACHI, JINYO, NICHIYO, SHOEI, WAYO, MINO, SHIROUMA and SHONAN MARUs and BANSHU MARU No. 63 and SS No. 6 (KIDOTEI). Anchors along the coast soon after leaving.

24 November 1944:
At 0400, departs Formosan coast.

25 November 1944:
At 2200, arrives at Musa Bay, Fuga Island.

27 November 1944:
At 0400, departs Musa Bay. At 1645, arrives at Lapoc Bay.

28 November 1944:
At 0600, departs Lapoc Bay. At 1800, arrives at N San Fernando.

29 November 1944:
At 0600, departs N San Fernando.

30 November 1944:
At 0500, arrives at Manila.

8 December 1944:
Departs St Jacques in convoy MI-26 consisting of two unidentified merchant ships escorted by kaibokan CD-33, CD-8, CD-52 and CD-61 and auxiliary gunboat HUASHAN (KAZAN) MARU.

9 December 1944:
At 1922 arrives at Camranh Bay.

10 December 1944:
Reassigned to the General Escort Command’s First Escort Fleet.

11 December 1944:
At 0803 departs Camranh Bay and at 1754 arrives at Ban Lon.

12 December 1944:
At 0605 departs Ban Long and at 1820 arrives at Qui Sande Bay.

13 December 1944:
At 0830 departs Qui Sande Bay.

15 December 1944:
At 2332 arrives at Yulin.

18 December 1944:
At 1737 departs Yulin.

23 December 1944:
At 1708 arrives at Saei, Formoa.

24 December 1944:
At 0151 departs Saei.

28 December 1944:
At 0921 arrives Ssu Chiao Shan and departs from there at 1815.

1 January 1945:
At 1800 arrives at Futaoi Jima near Moji.

5 January 1945:
Reassigned to 22nd Surface Escort Division with CD-32, CD-52 and CD-66.

12 January 1945:
Returns to Japan.

24 January 1945:
CD-8 departs Moji for Singapore with kaibokan CD-32 and CD-52 escorting convoy HI-89 consisting of NICHINAN MARU, and TATEKAWA MARU No. 2 and fleet oiler HARIO.

25 January 1945:
At 0100, the convoy anchors in Gako Bay, southern Korea.

26 January 1945:
At 0700, the convoy departs Gako Bay.

28 January 1945:
At 0800, arrives at Nayo, China coast and departs at midnight.

30 January 1945:
At about 0050, the convoy is attacked by a large bomber, but it does no damage to the convoy. During the evening the convoy arrives at Hunghai Bay (NE of Hong Kong).

31 January 1945:
At 0300, departs Hunghai Bay.

1 February 1945:
At 1900, the convoy arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island.

2 February 1945:
At 1700, departs Yulin.

7 February 1945:
At 2000, HARIO develops engine trouble. HARIO and CD-8 are detached.

8 February 1945:
At 1530, the convoy arrives at Singapore. HARIO and CD-8 arrive about that time or somewhat later.

15 February 1945:
At 0100, CD-8 departs Singapore for Moji, Japan with kaibokan CD-32 and CD-52 escorting convoy HI-90 consisting of EIYO and NICHINAN MARUs.

19 February 1945:
At 2200, the convoy anchors at Ca Na, southern Indo-China.

20 February 1945:
At 0800, departs Ca Na. At 0902, LtCdr Ralph H. Lockwood's (USNA ‘38) USS GUAVINA (SS-362) torpedoes EIYO MARU. Three torpedoes hit the starboard side in the vicinity of her engine room. She floods and starts to sink by the stern. At about 0930, fires break out forward as crude oil loosed into the sea catches on fire. At 1300, EIYO MARU sinks engulfed in flames at 11-55N, 109-20E, 12 miles NE of Cape Paderan light house. 20 soldiers, 27 passengers and 33 of her crew are KIA. USS GUAVINA endures a counter-attack of ninety-eight depth-charges and incurs some damage.

NICHINAN MARU, carrying 7000 tons of aviation gasoline, quickly turns about and heads back to the Ca Na anchorage. A short while later, she sets out again. At 1324, torpedo tracks are seen coming at her from starboard and she evades them. The submarine, LtCdr William H. Hazzard's (USNA ‘35) USS BLENNY (SS-324) had fired six torpedoes without getting any hits. CD-8, CD-32 and CD-52 counter-attack and drop forty-one depth-charges that cause some damage to USS BLENNY. At 1920, the convoy anchors in Van Phong Bay, Indochina.

21 February 1945:
At 0950, departs Van Phong Bay. At 1900, arrives at Quinhon Bay.

22 February 1945:
At 0715, departs Quinhon Bay.

23 February 1945:
Gulf of Tonkin. At about 1950. there is a B-24 "Liberator" heavy-bomber raid, but no damage is incurred. At 2340, the convoy arrives at a Hainan Island anchorage.

24 February 1945:
At 2330, the convoy arrives at a deep anchorage at Hainan Island.

25 February 1945:
At 0730, departs Hainan.

28 February 1945:
At 0900, the convoy arrived at the Shushan (Chusan) Island anchorage.

1 March 1945:
At 2100, departs Shushan Island.

3 March 1945:
At 1734, arrives at Kyosai Island.

4 March 1945:
At 0400, departs Kyosai Island and arrives safely at Moji at 1430.

22 March 1945:
CD-8 departs Moji with kaibokan UKURU, DAIO, CD-33 and CD-55 and auxiliary subchaser CHa- 27 in the Hosho Maru convoy consisting of tanker HOSHO MARU.

25 March 1945:
Reserve Lt. (later LtCdr) Jinpei Jinsaku (former CO of CH-51) is appointed CO.

E 2 April 1945:
Arrives at Yulin.

14 April 1945: Operation "AS-3" - Anti-submarine sweeps in Tsushima Strait and Yellow Sea:
Off Chusan Archipelago. Magnetic Anomoly Detector (MAD) equipped Aichi E13A1 "Jake” and Kyushu Q1W1 "Lorna” patrol planes from the Chusan Detachment of the 951st NAG detect an Allied submarine and attack it with depth-charges. CD-8 and kaibokan OKINAWA and CD-32 are dispatched to the area and conduct several attacks between 1530 and 1558. OKINAWA makes a sonar contact with the damaged submarine and chases it for the next two hours until the contact is lost. A widening oil slick is sighted. It is possible that Cdr John F. Walling's (USNA ‘35) USS SNOOK (SS-279) is lost in these attacks. [5]

25 April 1945:
At 1430, CD-8 departs Shishiyosan, E of Shanghai, for Moji with kaibokan CD-32 and CD-52 escorting convoy SHIMO-01 consisting of KINSEN and KIYOKAWA MARUs.

E 28 April 1945:
Tsushima Strait. CD-34 joins the escort of convoy SHIMO-01.

29 April 1945:
At 0720, CD-32 is detached from the convoy. At 1430, the convoy arrives at Moji.

15 August 1945:
CD-8’s crew receives notification of the termination of war.

5 October 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

12 October 1945:
Departs Sasebo on her first repatriation voyage.

19 October 1945:
Arrives at Manila. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that same day.

21 October 1945:
Arrives at Davao. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that same day.

23 October 1945:
Arrives at Tacloban. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

28 October 1945:
Departs Tacloban.

3 November 1945:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

17 November 1945:
Undergoes repairs at Mukaijima.

24 November 1945:
Repairs are completed.

26 November 1945:
Departs Kure.

1 December 1945:
Formally assigned to the Allied Repatriation Service. [6]

4 December 1945:
Arrives at Manila. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

6 December 1945:
Departs Manila.

12 December 1945:
Arrives at Otaka. Disembarks troops and passengers.

15 December 1945-20 January 1946:
At Kure undergoing repairs.

23 January 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

26 January 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

28 January 1946:
Departs Kirun.

30 January 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

1 February 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

3 February 1946:
Arrives at Miyako Shima. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that same day.

4 February 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

7 February 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

10 February 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

12 February 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

14 February 1946:
Departs Kirun.

15 February 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

17 February 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

20 February 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

22 February 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

26 February 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

28 February 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

2 March 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

11 March 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

13 March 1946:
Arrives at Kirun. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

14 March 1946:
Departs Kirun.

19 March 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

22 March 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

24 March 1946:
Arrives at Kirun and departs later that day.

27 March 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

1 April 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

3 April 1946:
Arrives at Kwaren (Hua Lien). Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

4 April 1946:
Departs Kwaren.

6 April 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

9 April 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

12 April 1946:
Arrives at Kwaren. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later that day.

14 April 1946 :
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

29 April 1946 - 20 May 1946:
Under repair at Mitsubishi Wakamatsu.

24 May 1946:
Departs Sasebo.

26 May 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

28 May 1946:
Departs Shanghai.

30 May 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

2 June 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

3 June 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

4 June 1946:
Departs Shanghai.

6 June 1946:
Arrives at Kagoshima. Disembarks troops and passengers.

19 June 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

21 June 1946:
Arrives at Shanghai. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated.

22 June 1946:
Departs Shanghai.

25 June 1946:
Arrives at Sasebo. Disembarks troops and passengers.

22 July 1946:
Departs Kagoshima.

23 July 1946:
Arrives at Naze. Embarks troops and passengers to be repatriated and departs later the same day.

26 July 1946:
Arrives at Sasebo. Disembarks troops and passengers.

16 July 1947:
Ceded to the United Kingdom as a war reparation. Scrapped.

Authors' Notes:
[1] TAMAHOKO MARU reportedly carried 722 American and Allied POWs, of which 560 were lost.

[2] NASUSAN and KENNICHI MARUs had engines aft and were probably mistaken for tankers.

[3] Some sources say KENNICHI and TAINAN MARUs collided and sank during the attack.

[4] The fact that CD-8 continues in service strongly suggests the ship was not damaged in this attack.

[5] The cause of the loss of USS SNOOK, or even its sinking location, have never been officially determined.

[6] Allied occupation forces were responsible for the return of six million Japanese military personnel and civilians from Japan's defunct far-flung Empire. In addition, there were over a million Korean and about 40,000 Chinese prisoners and conscript laborers and approximately 7,000 Formosans and 15,000 Ryukyu Islanders to be repatriated.

Some Allied and many former IJN warships, from aircraft carriers to kaibokan, were used to facilitate the enormous repatriation effort. Japanese vessels and crews were used to the fullest extent possible to conserve Allied manpower and accelerate demobilization. Each ex-IJN ship first had to be demilitarized; guns removed or, in the case of large warships, barrels severed, ammunition landed, and radar and catapults removed, if fitted. Repatriation of the Chinese on Japanese ships began early in October from Hakata, but U.S. guard detachments had to be placed on many ships to prevent disorder because the Japanese crews could not control the returnees.

Japanese-run repatriation centers were established at Kagoshima, Hario near Sasebo, and Hakata near Fukuoka. Other reception centers were established and operated at Maizuru, Shimonoseki, Sasebo, Senzaki, Kure, Uraga, Yokohama, Moji and Hakodate. Allied line and medical personnel supervised the centers. Incoming Japanese were sprayed with DDT, examined and inoculated for typhus and smallpox, provided with food, and transported to his final destination in Japan.

Thanks go to Dr. Higuchi Tatsuhiro of Japan, Mr. Matthew Jones of Missisippi, USA and Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page