(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-7:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2006-2016 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 4

23 October 1943:
Tsurumi. Laid down at Nihon Kokan, K. K.’s shipyard.

18 January 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-7.

30 January 1944:
Reserve Lt (later LtCdr) Shimada Suetsugu (former CO of the converted gunboat SHOSEI MARU) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

10 March 1944:
Completed and registered in the IJN. Attached to Kure Naval District. Assigned to 11th Surface Escort Division. Reserve Lt Shimada Suetsugu is the Commanding Officer.

28 April 1944:
At 1620 departs Tsurumi.

30 April 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

3 May 1944:
At 0445, CD-7 departs Moji for Singapore via Manila with escort carrier TAIYO, destroyers ASAGAO, HIBIKI and INAZUMA, kaibokan KURAHASHI, SADO, CD-5, CD-13 escorting convy HI-61 consisting of empty tankers AKANE, TATEKAWA, NICHIEI, AZUSA, JINEI, EIYO, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and ASANAGI MARUs, transport MIZUHO MARU and fleet oiler HAYASUI.

E 5 May 1944:
Kaibokan KURAHASHI meets the convoy.

7 May 1944:
ASAGAO is detached for Takao. Later JINEI MARU develops engine troubles and is detached for Takao with KURAHASHI as escort.

8 May 1944:
LtCdr (later Cdr) Victor B. McCrea's (USNA ’32) USS HOE (SS-258) attacks convoy HI-61. AKANE MARU suffers minor damage.

9 May 1944:
At 2055, HI-61 arrives at Manila. TATEKAWA, NICHIEI and AZUSA MARUs are detached.

12 May 1944:
HI-61 departs Manila for Singapore.

19 May 1944:
At 0800 after detaching to hunt a submarine CD-7 arrives at Singapore.

23 May 1944:
At 0700, CD-7 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier TAIYO and kaibokan KURAHASHI, SADO, CD-5 and CD-13 escorting convoy HI-62 consisting of transports KINUGASA, NOSHIRO, NISSHO, TAMATSU and TEIRITSU (ex-French LECONTE De LISLE) MARUs and tankers OTORISAN, SARAWAK and NICHINAN MARUs.

28 May 1944:
CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 are detached to assist tanker SHIMPO MARU that has suffered an engine breakdown (it is uncclear if this ship was part of HI-62, she left Singapore on 24 May and arrived at Takao 1 June)

29 May 1944:
HI-62 arrives at Manila. IJA Landing craft depot ship TAMATSU MARU joins the convoy.

30 May 1944:
At 1200 CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 arrive at Manila.

1 June 1944:
At 0400, HI-62 departs Manila.

3 June 1944:
At 1800 CD-7 detaches from HI-62 and at 2200 joins escort carrier KAIYO at sea off Saei as escort to convoy HI-65 consisting of fleet tanker SHIRETOKO, KASHII, TATSUWA and MANILA MARUs and tankers ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, JINEI, ZUIHO and TOHO MARU with light cruiser KASHII, kaibokan CHIBURI and CD-11, subchasers CH-19 and CH-60 and minelayer TSUBAME.

4 June 1944:
At 2000 the convoy departs from off Saei. Later, convoy HI-65 splits. Only ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, ZUIHO and TOHO MARUs are left in the Singapore-bound contingent. CD-7, KAIYO, KASHII, CD-11, CHIBURI remain with the Singapore contingent. The rest of the convoy heads to Manila.

11 June 1944:
At 1350, arrives at Singapore.

17 June 1944:
At 0400, CD-7 departs Singapore with light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI and CD-11 escorting fast convoy HI-66 consisting of transport/cargo liners SANUKI, HOKKAI and AWA MARUs and tanker OMUROSAN MARU. The convoy hugs the continental coast avoiding deep water as much as possible.

26 June 1944:
At 1300, arrives at Moji.

27 June 1944:
At 1800 arrives at Kure.

13 July 1944:
At 1600, CD-7 departs Mutsure for Manila with Rear Admiral Sato Tsutomu (40) (former ComSubRon 1) Eighth Escort Convoy Command’s escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO, and CD-17 escorting convoy HI-69 consisting of escort carriers KAIYO and TAIYO each loaded with aircraft, KIMIKAWA, AKI, ASAMA, SAIGON, HAKKO, KACHIDOKI (ex American PRESIDENT HARRISON), MANKO MARUs and possibly MANJU MARU and tankers KOEI, OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, KUROSHIO, HARIMA, SERIA, TENEI MARUs.

16 July 1944:
N of Taiwan. After a magnetic detector-equipped Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" from TAIYO detects the presence of a submarine, CD-7 and SADO attack it with depth charges. After the attack, traces of oil are sighted.

18 July 1944:
Near Takao, Formosa. About 0600, LtCdr John J. Flachsenhar's (USNA ’35) USS ROCK (SS-274) fires four torpedoes at HARIMA MARU, but misses. Cdr Alan Banister's (USNA ’28) USS SAWFISH (USS 276) then fires nine torpedoes at the convoy. HARIMA MARU is hit by a single torpedo, but remains able to steam.

At 1055, LtCdr Roger M. Keithy's (USNA ’35) USS TILEFISH (SS-307) torpedoes and heavily damages CD-17. The convoy continues to Manila without stopping at Takao as originally planned (less MANKO MARU detached the day before and damaged HARIMA MARU and CD-17 that put into Takao). At 2317, HAKKO MARU is swamped by huge wave that washes a barge overboard, kills one man instantly and washes five other men overboard. They are not recovered.

20 July 1944:
Arrives at Manila at 2100. KAIYO and TAIYO begin unloading aircraft.

25 July 1944:
At 0530, CD-7 departs Manila for Singapore with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan SADO, CHIBURI, CD-9, CD-13 and CD-17 escorting convoy HI-69 that consists of KIMIKAWA, HAKKO, OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, KUROSHIO, SERIA, KACHIDOKI (ex American PRESIDENT HARRISON) and TENEI MARUs.

31 July 1944:
At 1745, arrives at Singapore.

8 August 1944:
At 0800 CD-7 and destroyers HAMAKAZE and ISOKAZE depart Singapore escorting convoy SHIMI-08 consisting of NANSEI (ex British PLEIODON), JINEI, UGA and NORFOLK MARUs and eight unidentified merchant ships.

14 August 1944:
At 1230 arrives at Miri.

16 August 1944:
At 0700, CD-7 departs Miri with kaibokan SHIMUSHU, CD-28, likely CD-16 and subchasers CH-30, CH-33 and CH-41 escorting convoy MI-12 consisting of NORFOLK, UGA, KINRYU, JINEI, GYOKUYO or possibly OYO, JUNGEN GO and GYOSAN MARUs and unknown KAITO MARU and tankers ZUIYO, TAKETOYO, SEISHIN and NANSEI MARUs.

17 August 1944:
GYOSAN MARU is detached.

18 August 1944:
At 1352, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) William T. Kinsella's (USNA ’34) USS RAY (SS-271) torpedoes and sinks NANSEI MARU at 08-39N, 116-39E. 12 Gunners and 17 crewmen are killed. The convoy is ordered to seek shelter.

20 August 1944:
At 1930, arrives at Paluan Bay, NW Mindoro.

21 August 1944:
At 0556, departs Paluan Bay. Soon after, CD-28 attacks an enemy submarine contact. At 0720, a wolfpack consisting of USS GUITARRO (SS-363), USS HADDO (SS-255), USS HARDER (SS-257), USS RAY (SS-271) and USS MUSKALLUNGE (SS-262) make the first of a series of successful attacks. Kinsella's USS RAY torpedoes and sinks TAKETOYO MARU carrying a cargo of drummed oil and gasoline at 13-23N 120-19E. 13 crewmen are KIA.

At 0730, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Chester W. Nimitz, Jr's (USNA ’36) USS HADDO (SS-255) torpedoes and sinks NORFOLK MARU. One Gunner and 16 crewmen are KIA. At 0800, Nimitz also torpedoes and sinks KINRYU MARU carrying a cargo of bauxite. 65 of soldiers and three crewmen are KIA. At 0825, LtCdr (later Captain) Enrique D. Haskin's (USNA ’33) USS GUITARRO (SS- 363) torpedoes and sinks UGA MARU at 13-27N, 120-17E. 16 of the passengers, two ship’s gunners and 29 crewmen are killed.

22 August 1944:
At 2200, arrives at Manila.

27 August 1944:
At 0900, CD-7 departs Manila with kaibokan SHIMUSHU, ETOROFU, SHONAN, CD-22 and CD-28, subchaser CH-41 and patrol boat P-102 (ex-USS STEWART, DD-224) escorting convoy MAMO-02 consisting of KASHI, MAYASAN, NISSHO and NOTO MARUs. At 1548, anchors in Subic Bay.

28 August 1944:
At 0600, departs Subic Bay.

30 August 1944:
At 1830 arrives at Takao. CD-7, CD-28, subchaser CH-41 and patrol boat P-102 are detached.

3 September 1944:
Reserve LtCdr Yokota Tokujiro (former navigating officer of ODOMARI) is appointed Commanding Officer.

5 September 1944:
At 1900, CD-7 with destroyers HATSUHARU and HIBIKI, kaibokan CD-1, CD-3, CD-5, torpedo-boat HIYODORI, minesweeper W-20, subchaser CH-63 and auxiliary subchaser CHa-67 depart Takao for Manila escorting convoy TAMA-25 consisting of KOGYO, EIJI, MANSHU, EIMAN, ATSUTA, EKKAI, NANREI, ROZAN, TERUKUNI, TOYOOKA and HOKUSEN MARUs. Previously known as MOTA-23, this convoy was enroute to Takao before being diverted to Keelung. The convoy is carrying reinforcements, equipment and ammunition for the defense of the Philippine Islands.

6 September 1944:
At 0230, KOGYO MARU develops engine troubles and turns back. At about 0423, EIJI MARU carrying units of the Kwantung Army's 8th. Infantry Division and 2nd Tank Division, strikes a mine at 22-19N, 120-30E. HIBIKI comes alongside to assist, but also strikes a mine that severely damages her bow. She returns to Takao. At about 0500, EIJI MARU is ordered abandoned. At 0800, there is another explosion and EIJI MARU sinks. The ship was carrying a party of 2345 soldiers together with a full load of boxes of ammunition. 611 troops and 6 crewmen were killed, a total of 617 KIA. The convoy withdraws to nearby Tungchiang, arriving at 1738. EIMAN MARU suffers engine troubles and also returns to Takao, probably escorted by CH-63.

7 September 1944:
At 2150 departs Tungchiang. The convoy reforms and adopts a zig zag formation.

8 September 1944:
At 0200 submarine chaser CH-41 meets up with convoy TAMA-25. At 0300 CD-28 joins. At 1100 W-20 meets up with TAMA-25.

9 September 1944:
43 miles NW of Calayan Island. At about 0315, TOYOOKA MARU is torpedoed by LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA ’33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). She sinks five minutes later at 19-45N, 120-55E. 1,036 soldiers and nine crewmen are killed. At 0319, MANSHU MARU is hit by a torpedo from USS QUEENFISH and sinks by the stern. She was carrying 1,492 men of the 42nd Infantry Regiment, plus her crew. 900 are killed. At 2120, the convoy seeks temporary shelter at Aparri. At 2250, the convoy departs hugging the coast.

10 September 1944:
At 1714 the convoy arrives at San Fernando. Meanwhile CD-28 proceeds to Lapoc Bay and is detached.

11 September 1944:
At 0553 departs San Fernando. Meanwhile at 0500 CH-41 is detached. At 0654 W-20 is detached.

12 September 1944:
At 1930, the convoy anchors at Santa Cruz.

13 September 1944:
At 0640 the convoy departs Santa Cruz and at 1940, arrives in Subic Bay. It is learned the Americans have been attacking the Visayas in the Central Philippine Islands since 12 September.

14 September 1944:
At 0325, because of the danger of attacks in Manila, the convoy raises anchors and heads back north. At 1500, it arrives back at Santa Cruz. For the next two days the convoy remains on standby.

17 September 1944:
At 0655, the convoy departs. At 1850, it arrives again at Subic Bay.

18 September 1944:
At 0610, the convoy departs and arrives at Manila at 1610.

19 September 1944:
At 0800, CD-7 departs Manila for Cebu, Philippines with kaibokan SADO, CD-1, CD-3, CD-5 and minelayer ENOSHIMA escorting convoy MATA-27 consisting of SURAKARUTA, YUKI, HOFUKU, SHICHIYO and NANSEI MARUs and OGURA MARU No. 1. That evening, the convoy arrives and anchors at Subic Bay.

21 September 1944:
Departs Subic Bay. At 1028, N of the Masinloc Sea, about 40 carrier-based aircraft of Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Marc A. Mitscher’s (USNA ’10) Task Force 38 attack the convoy and sink HOFUKU MARU. 11 crewmen and 150 passengers are KIA. At 1056, a second raid begins. OGURA MARU No. 1 is bombed about 1130 and later abandoned. 5 crewmen are KIA. At 1515, a third raid by 40 aircraft begins. YUKI MARU with 42 crewmen KIA, SHICHIYO MARU with 12 crewmen KIA and NANSEI MARU with 17 crewmen and 12 gunners KIA, are bombed and set afire and later sink. At 1634, a fourth raid begins. SURAKARUTA MARU is bombed and sunk. Only one crewman is KIA. At 1650, CD-5 is bombed and set afire and later explodes and sinks at 15-30N, 119-50E.

At 1900 the surviving escort ships arrive at Santa Cruz.

22 September 1944:
At 0700 departs Santa Cruz. At 1900 arrives at San Fernando.

23 September 1944:
At 0700 departs San Fernando. At 1900 arrives at Lapoc Bay.

24 September 1944:
At 0700 departs Lapoc Bay and detaches from the other escorts. At 1650 CD-7 arrives at Takao.

27 September 1944:
At 1700, CD-7 departs Takao for Moji with kaibokan CD-1, CD-3, auxiliary patrol boat OSEI MARU and auxiliary gunboat CHOHAKUSAN MARU escorting convoy TAMO-26 that consists of NIKKO, SEISHIN, CLYDE, HAKUSAN, MATSUURA, TAIJO, GASSAN, YOKO and BIYO MARUs and SS No. 6 (kidotei).

28 September 1944:
At 1200, arrives at Keelung. Auxiliary patrol boat OSEI MARU is detached.

1 October 1944:
At 0730, departs Keelung.

6 October 1944:
At 1703 arrives at Moji. Soon after departs for Sasebo.

7 October 1944:
At 0730 arrives at Sasebo.

18 October 1944:
At 1507 departs Sasebo with CD-3 and CD-1.

19 October 1944:
At 0700 arrives at Moji.

22 October 1944:
At 1400, CD-7 departs Moji for Manila with kaibokan CD-1, CD-3 escorting convoy MOMA-06 that consists of GASSAN, ATLAS, DAITOKU, SHINSHO, KAKOGAWA, SEKIHO, TAIKEN, SEIWA, SHINFUKU and MIKAGE MARUs and an unidentified ship.

23 October 1944:
At about 0400, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) John E. Lee’s (USNA ’30) USS CROAKER (SS-246) torpedoes and damages GASSAN MARU. Later, she is towed to Saishu Island by SHINFUKU MARU where 3500 troops are put ashore.

24 October 1944:
At about 0400, USS CROAKER torpedoes and sinks MIKAGE MARU. 27 crewmen are KIA.

27 October 1944:
At 1600, arrives at Keelung. TAIKEN MARU is detached.

30 October 1944:
At 0700, departs at Keelung.

31 October 1944:
At 1600, arrives at Takao. The convoy is reorganized. Some ships from convoy MOTA-27 join MOMA-06. The reconstitued convoy consists of HAMBURG, tanker SHIMOTSU, ASOKAWA, TOTTORI, EIWA, ATLAS, DAITOKU, SHINSHO, KAKOGAWA, SEKIHO and SEIWA MARUs escorted by old destroyer KURETAKE, kaibokan CD-7, CD-1, CD-3, mineweeper W-27, subchaser CH-41 and fleet supply ship KURASAKI.

1 November 1944:
At 1800, the convoy departs Takao for Manila.

2 November 1944:
At 2305, LtCdr John B. Hess’s (USNA ’37) USS POMFRET (SS-391) torpedoes and damages ATLAS MARU. Two crewmen are KIA.

3 November 1944:
At 0435, Hess attacks ATLAS MARU again, but misses. At 0500, USS POMFRET also torpedoes and damages HAMBURG MARU. At 1850, one of the escorts scuttles her. At 2000 the convoy anchors at Sabtang Is.

4 November 1944:
About 1330, ATLAS MARU finally goes aground. Torpedo boat SAGI arrives from Takao and joins the escort.

6 November 1944:
At 0253 departs Sabtang Island with minesweepers W-17 and W-18 as additional escorts.

8 November 1944:
Off Cape Bolinao, Luzon. LtCdr Guy E. O'Neil, Jr’s (USNA ’37) USS GUNNEL (SS-253) torpedoes and sinks SAGI. The convoy later arrives at Santa Cruz, Philippines at 1730.

9 November 1944:
Warned of a typhoon in the area, the convoy departs the same day at 0630 and arrives at Manila Bay at 2238.

10 November 1944:
At 0925, convoy MOMA-06 arrives at Manila harbor.

12 November 1944:
At 1800, CD-7 departs Manila for Takao with destroyer KURETAKE and kaibokan CD-1 and CD-3 escorting convoy MATA-32 that consists of NANKING MARU, UNKAI MARU No. 5 and fleet supply ship KURASAKI.

14 November 1944:
Off Cape Bolinao, Philippines. At 2218, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) William T. Kinsella’s (USNA ’34) USS RAY (SS-271) torpedoes and sinks CD-7 with 165 crewmen lost at 17-46N, 117-57E. At 2225, LtCdr Maurice W. Shea’s (USNA ’37) USS RATON (SS-270) torpedoes and sinks UNKAI MARU No. 5. 43 crewmen are KIA.

10 January 1945:
Removed from the Navy List

Authors' Note:
Thanks go to Dr. Higuchi Tatsuhiro of Japan, Mr. Matthew Jones of Missisippi, USA and Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page