(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-5:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2006-2016 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Revision 4

23 October 1943:
Tsurumi. Laid down at Nihon Kokan, K. K.’s shipyard.

15 January 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-5.

30 January 1944:
Reserve LtCdr (Cdr, posthumously) Kiriyama Katsuzo is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

19 March 1944:
CD-5 is commissioned and registered in the IJN. Attached to Kure Naval District. Reserve LtCdr Kiriyama Katsuzo is the Commanding Officer. Assigned to Kure Guard Force.

22 April 1944:
ADeparts Kure.

23 April 1944:
At 0600 arrives at Moji.

3 May 1944:
At 0445, CD-5 departs Moji for Singapore via Manila with escort carrier TAIYO, destroyers ASAGAO, HIBIKI and INAZUMA, kaibokan SADO, CD-7, CD-13, escorting convy HI-61 consisting of tankers AKANE, TATEKAWA, NICHIEI, AZUSA, JINEI, EIYO, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and ASANAGI MARUs, transport MIZUHO MARU and fleet oiler HAYASUI.

E 5 May 1944:
Kaibokan KURAHASHI meets the convoy.

7 May 1944:
ASAGAO is detached for Takao. Later JINEI MARU develops engine troubles and is detached for Takao with KURAHASHI as escort.

8 May 1944:
LtCdr (later Cdr) Victor B. McCrea's (USNA ’32) USS HOE (SS-258) attacks convoy HI-61. AKANE MARU suffers minor damage.

9 May 1944:
At 2055, HI-61 arrives at Manila. TATEKAWA, NICHIEI and AZUSA MARUs are detached.

12 May 1944:
At 0500 HI-61 departs Manila for Singapore.

17 May 1944:
At 2100 arrives at Singapore.

23 May 1944:
At 0700, CD-5 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier TAIYO and kaibokan KURAHASHI, SADO, CD-7 and CD-13 escorting convoy HI-62 consisting of transports KINUGASA, NOSHIRO, NISSHO, TAMATSU and TEIRITSU (ex-French LECONTE DE LISLE) MARUs and tankers OTORISAN, SARAWAK and NICHINAN MARUs.

28 May 1944:
CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 are detached to assist tanker SHIMPO MARU that has suffered an engine breakdown (it is uncclear if this ship was part of HI-62, she left Singapore on 24 May and arrived at Takao 1 June)

29 May 1944:
HI-62 arrives at Manila. IJA Landing craft depot ship TAMATSU MARU joins the convoy.

30 May 1944:
At 1200 CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 arrive at Manila.

1 June 1944:
At 0400, HI-62 departs Manila.

8 June 1944:
At 0200 arrives at Mutsure anchorage, later proceeds to Moji arriving at 0230.

9 June 1944:
At 0700 departs Moji and at 1830 arrives at Sasebo. Undergoes repairs.

18 June 1944:
At 1800 departs Sasebo.

19 June 1944:
At 0500 arrives at Mutsure.

20 June 1944:
At 1930, CD-5 departs Moji for Singapore with destroyers ASAGAO and KURETAKE and kaibokan KURAHASHI, HIRADO, CD-2 and CD-13, minelayer SHIRATAKA and submarine chaser CH-61 escorting convoy HI-67 consisting of transports MANJU, NANKAI, KINUGASA, ASAKA, ASAHISAN, GOKOKU and HAKOZAKI MARUs and oilers MIRI, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and SHINEI MARUs and NICHINAN MARU No. 2.

29 June 1944:
LtCdr Anton R. Gallaher's (USNA ’33) USS BANG (SS-385) torpedoes and damages MIRI and SARAWAK MARUs. Both tankers are hit in the bow, but each manages to proceed to Manila. During the action, CD-5 suffers some unspecified damage.

30 June 1944:
At 1900 the main convoy arrives at Manila.

3 July 1944:
At 0600, HI-67 departs Manila. CD-5 and ASAHISAN, GOKOKU, SARAWAK and MIRI MARUs are detached from the convoy at Manila. CD-5 undergoes repairs at Manila for the rest of the month.

3 August 1944:
At 1830 CD-5 departs Manila to rescue survivors from the shattered MI-11 convoy, that had just arrived in Manila.

4 August 1944:
At 1200 breaks off the survivor hunt.

5 August 1944:
At 1430 arrives at Manila.

8 August 1944:
At 0915 CD-5 and CD-6 depart Manila and sail to the mouth of Manila Bay on a submarine hunt. Both remain on patrol until MATA-26 leaves Manila the following day.

9 August 1944:
At 0200 CD-5 departs Manila with kaibokan CD-6, CD-9, CD-16, YASHIRO, MATSUWA and subchaser CH-58 escorting convoy MATA-26 consisting of TAKETSU (BUTSU), IKOMASAN, SHINEI, HINAGA, ASAKA, KACHOSAN, KENEI and ASAKA MARUs and 14 other unidentified merchant ships.

10 August 1944:
At 1029 SHINEI MARU is torpedoed and sunk off Cape Bolinao in 16-15N 119-45E by USS GUITARRO. Soon after Minesweepers W-38 and W-39 arrived to bolster the escort.

12 August 1944:
YASHIRO assists KACHOSAN MARU from the convoy.

14 August 1944:
In the eye of a major typhoon, the war-built tanker TAKETSU (BUTSU) MARU breaks up, although as a result of weather or a drifting mine is unclear. IKOMASAN and ASAKA MARUs are both stranded on islands in the Bashi Islands Group, North of Luzon. Both are later refloated.

17 August 1944:
At 2100 CD-5 arrives at Kirun with survivors of ASAKA MARU.

20 August 1944:
At 0600 CD-5 departs Keelung with kaibokan CD-6, CD-9 and CD-16, subchaser CH-58 and auxiliary gunboat CHOHAKUSAN MARU escorting convoy TAMO-23 consisting of HORAI (tanker), TETSUYO, SHINFUKU, NIKKO, MATSUMOTO, KIYOKAWA MARUs and TONAN MARU No. 2 and seven unidentified merchant ships.

22 August 1944:
South China Sea. At about 1900, LtCdr (later Admiral/CINCPACFLT) Bernard A. Clarey’s (USNA ’35) USS PINTADO (SS-387) picks up the convoy. After dark, Clarey moves past a nearby escort and into the center of the convoy. He fires two spreads of 10 torpedoes at TONAN MARU NO. 2 and gets at least two hits. Set ablaze, TONAN MARU No. 2 burns for about three hours, then sinks at 29-53N, 125-19E. Four crewmen are KIA.

26 August 1944:
At 1130 arrives at Moji. At 2000 CD-5 departs Moji alone.

27 August 1944:
At 0800 arrives at Sasebo.

30 August 1944:
CD-1, CD-3 and CD-5 depart Sasebo and arrives in the Terajima Straits.

31 August 1944:
At 0400, CD-5 departs the Terajima Strait, NW Kyushu with CD-1 and CD-3 escorting convoy MOTA-25 consisting of MIZUHO, KOKURYU and ARABIA MARUs.

3 September 1944:
At 1630, the convoy arrives at Kirun (Keelung), Formosa. At 1930 CD-5 departs port. CD-1 and CD-3 have departed an hour earlier.

4 September 1944:
At 1326 CD-1, CD-3 and CD-5 arrive at Takao.

5 September 1944:
At 1900, CD-5 with destroyers HATSUHARU and HIBIKI, kaibokan CD-3, CD-1, CD-7, torpedo-boat HIYODORI, subchaser CH-63 and auxiliary subchaser CHa-67 depart Takao for Manila escorting convoy TAMA-25 consisting of KOGYO, EIJI, MANSHU, EIMAN, ATSUTA, EKKAI, NANREI, ROZAN, EIMAN, TOYOOKA and HOKUSEN MARUs. Previously known as MOTA-23, this convoy was enroute to Takao before being diverted to Keelung. The convoy is carrying reinforcements, equipment and ammunition for the defense of the Philippine Islands.

6 September 1944:
At 0230, KOGYO MARU develops engine troubles and turns back. At about 0423, EIJI MARU carrying units of the Kwantung Army's 8th. Infantry Division and 2nd Tank Division, strikes a mine at 22-19N, 120-30E. HIBIKI comes alongside to assist, but also strikes a mine that severely damages her bow. She returns to Takao. At about 0500, EIJI MARU is ordered abandoned. At 0800, there is another explosion and EIJI MARU sinks. 617 men are KIA. The convoy withdraws to nearby Tungchiang, arriving at 1738. EIMAN MARU suffers engine troubles and also returns to Takao.

7 September 1944:
At 2150 departs Tungchiang. The convoy reforms and adopts a zig zag formation.

8 September 1944:
At 0200 submarine chaser CH-41 meets up with convoy TAMA-25. At 0300 CD-28 joins. At 1100 W-20 meets up with TAMA-25.

9 September 1944:
43 miles NW of Calayan Island. At about 0315, TOYOOKA MARU is torpedoed by LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA ’33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). She sinks five minutes later at 19-45N, 120-55E. 1,036 soldiers and nine crewmen are killed. At 0319, MANSHU MARU is hit by a torpedo from USS QUEENFISH and sinks by the stern. She was carrying 1,492 men of the 42nd Infantry Regiment, plus her crew. 900 are killed. At 2120, the convoy seeks temporary shelter at Aparri. At 2250, the convoy departs hugging the coast.

10 September 1944:
At 1714 the convoy arrives at San Fernando. Meanwhile CD-28 proceeds to Lapoc Bay and is detached.

11 September 1944:
At 0553 departs San Fernando. Meanwhile at 0500 CH-41 has been detached. At 0654 W-20 is detached.

12 September 1944:
At 1930, convoy TAMA-25 anchors at Santa Cruz.

13 September 1944:
At 0640 the convoy departs Santa Cruz and at 1940, arrives in Subic Bay. It is learned the Americans have been attacking the Visayas in the Central Philippine Islands since 12 September.

14 September 1944:
At 0325, because of the danger of attacks in Manila, the convoy raises anchors and heads back north. At 1500, it arrives back at Santa Cruz. For the next two days the convoy remains on standby.

17 September 1944:
At 0655, the convoy departs. At 1850, it arrives again at Subic Bay.

18 September 1944:
At 0610, the convoy departs and arrives at Manila at 1610.

19 September 1944:
At 0800, CD-5 departs Manila for Cebu, Philippines with kaibokan SADO, CD-7, CD-1, CD-3, CD-7 and minelayer ENOSHIMA escorting convoy MATA-27 consisting of SURAKARUTA, YUKI, HOFUKU, SHICHIYO and NANSEI MARUs and OGURA MARU No. 1. That evening, the convoy arrives and anchors at Subic Bay.

21 September 1944:
Departs Subic Bay. At 1028, N of the Masinloc Sea, about 40 carrier-based aircraft of Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Marc A. Mitscher’s (USNA ’10) Task Force 38 attack the convoy and sink HOFUKU MARU. 11 crewmen and 150 passengers are KIA.

At 1056, a second raid begins. OGURA MARU No. 1 is bombed about 1130 and later abandoned. At 1515, a third raid by 40 aircraft begins. YUKI MARU with 42 crewmen KIA, SHICHIYO MARU with 12 crewmen KIA and NANSEI MARU with 17 crewmen and 12 gunners KIA, are bombed and set afire and later sink.

At 1634, a fourth raid begins. SURAKARUTA MARU is bombed and sunk. Only one crewman is KIA. At 1650, CD-5 is bombed and set afire. Later, she explodes and sinks at 15-30N, 119-50E. 17 crewmen are KIA. Reserve LtCdr Kiriyama is KIA and posthumously promoted Cdr.

25 May 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors' Note:
Thanks for assistance go to Dr. Higuchi Tatsuhiro of Japan, Mr. Matthew Jones of Missisippi, USA and Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page