(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-25:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2007-2018 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Revision 9

1 February 1944:
Tsurumi. Laid down at Nippon Kokan K. K.'s yard.

14 May 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-25.

8 June 1944:
Reserve LtCdr (Cdr, posthumously) Nakano Takehide is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

22 June 1944:
LtCdr Nakano assumes joint duty as CEO of CD-29.

2 July 1944:
Completed and registered in the IJN. Reserve LtCdr Nakano Takehide is the Commanding Officer. Attached as a Kure guard ship to the Kure defense squadron.

30 July 1944:
Assigned to the General Escort Command’s First Surface Escort Division.

4 August 1944:
At 1600 CD-25 departs Moji for Takao with kaibokan ETOROFU, HIBURI and CD-32 escorting convoy MOTA-22 consisting of KENJO, GASSAN, HAKUSAN, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA), TERUKUNI, TACHIBANA, NANREI, GENKAI, TEIHOKU (ex-French PERSEE), HIOKI, MANSHU, SHIRANESAN, SHONAN, RAKUTO and KOSHIN MARUs and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2, DAIBOSHI MARU No. 6 and five unidentified ships. Among other cargo, the convoy carries the IJA's 25th Tank Regiment redeploying from Baotau, North China to Formosa.

6 August 1944:
Off SW Kyushu. At 0411, LtCdr (later Admiral/CINCPACFLT) Bernard A. Clarey’s (USNA ’34) USS PINTADO (SS-387) torpedoes and sinks SHONAN MARU at 30-53N, 129-45E. Two crewmen and three gunners are KIA and four Daihatsu barges lost.

9 August 1944:
At 1310, KOSHIN MARU's cargo suddenly explodes and the ship sinks at 26-10N, 124-15E. 28 crewmen are KIA.

10 August 1944:
At 1600 arrives at Kirun (Keelung). GASSAN, HAKUSAN, KENJO, TEIKA (ex French CAP VARELLA) and HIOKI MARUs are detached.

11 August 1944:
At 0330 departs Keelung.

12 August 1944:
At 1430 arrives at Saei (Tsoying) near Takao.

14 August 1944:
MATA-26 is hit by a major typhoon, and war built tanker TAKETSU (BUTSU) MARU breaks up, though whether a result of the weather or a drifting mine is unclear. IKOMASAN and ASAKA MARUs are both stranded on islands in the Bashi Island Group, North of Luzon. Both are later refloated.

17 August 1944:
At 0800 CD-8, CD-25 and CD-32 depart Saei to Batan Island Group to provide escort cover during refloating operations.

18 August 1944:
At 1030 arrives at Basco, Batan Island.

19 August 1944:
Departs Basco with CD-8.

20 August 1944:
CD-25 arrives at Saei.

22 August 1944:
At 1410, CD-25 departs Takao for Manila with torpedo boat HATO, kaibokan YASHIRO, CD-8, CD-32 and minesweepers W-38, W-39 escorting convoy TAMA-24 consisting of HIDA, KOTOKU, TEIHOKU (ex-French PERSEE), RAKUTO, BATOPAHAT, GENKAI and MANSHU MARUs and tankers TACHIBANA and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 and an unidentified ship, probably YUKIKAWA MARU.

25 August 1944:
CD-25 and GENKAI MARU are detached from the convoy and go to Pasaleng Bay to offload five MTB's from the deck of damaged HAKKO MARU No. 2 sheltering in the bay with destroyer YUNAGI. YUNAGI is detached and joins TAMA-24.

At 1024, Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Glynn R. Donaho's (USNA ’27) USS PICUDA (SS-382) torpedoes and sinks KOTOKU MARU steaming in ballast, at 18-42N, 120-49E. 16 crewmen are KIA. At 1026, in the same position, Donaho torpedoes and sinks YUNAGI as the destroyer attempts a counter-attack. 32 sailors are KIA. At 1325, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Louis D. McGregor's (USNA ’30) USS REDFISH (SS-395) torpedoes and sinks BATOPAHAT MARU with 480 troops, weapons & war supplies, at 18-31N, 120-32E. 17 crewmen and an unknown number of passengers are KIA.

27 August 1944:
At 1630 arrives at Santa Cruz.

28 August 1944:
At 0930 departs Santa Cruz with CD-8 escorting GENKAI and MANSHU MARUs to Pasaleng Bay. Meanwhile at 2100, the main convoy arrives at Manila.

29 August 1944:
At 0200 arrives Pasaleng Bay.

30 August 1944:
At 0130 departs Pasaleng Bay with CD-8 and at 1900 arrives at Port San Pio Quinto.

31 August 1944:
At 0630 departs Port San Pio Quinto and at 1900 arrives at Santa Cruz still escorting the ships.

2 September 1944:
At 2040 arrives at Manila Bay.

3 September 1944:
At 0800 arrives at Manila.

5 September 1944:
At 1200 CD-25 departs Manila for Miri, Borneo with kaibokan CD-8 and CD-32 escorting convoy MAMI-10 consisting of FUKUJU, TEIHOKU (Ex French PERSEE) TACHIBANA and ZUIYO MARUs, YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 and two unidentified merchant ships.

7 September 1944:
At 2300 arrives at Eran Bay, Palawan.

8 September 1944:
At 0700 departs Eran Bay. At 1600 anchors in 08-22N 117-08E.

9 September 1944:
At 0500 departs anchorage point.

11 September 1944:
At 1100 arrives at Miri.

15 September 1944:
At 1500, CD-25 departs Miri for Manila, Philippines with kaibokan, CD-8 and CD-32 and submarine chaser CH-28 escorting convoy MIMA-11 consisting of fleet oiler KAMOI and TACHIBANA, URAL, YAMAMIZU No. 2, KYOKUHO, SHIKISAN, HOKKI, ZUIYO, TATSUHARU, TENSHIN, SHINSEI No. 1, SHOEI (2764 gt), OMINE, KYOEI and IMAHARA (IMAJI) MARUs and KYOEI MARU No. 6. The convoy hugs the coast calling at various small anchorages.

16 September 1944:
At 1800 arrives at Kimanis Bay.

17 September 1944:
At 0600 departs Kimanis Bay and at 1830 arrives at White Rocks Bay.

18 September 1944:
At 0100 departs White Rocks Bay and at 1800 arrives at Eran Bay.

19 September 1944:
At 0100 departs Eran Bay.

22 September 1944:
Arrives at Bacuit Bay.

25 September 1944:
At 0845 the convoy now consisting of TACHIBANA, URAL, KYOKUHO, HOKKI, OMINE, ZUIYO MARUs, YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 and likely SHOEI MARU (2764 gt) departs Bacuit Bay.

27 September 1944:
At 0807, LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Reuben T. Whitaker's (USNA ’35) USS FLASHER (SS-249) torpedoes and sinks URAL MARU at 15-32N, 117-16E. 144 passengers, five gunners and 40 out of 189 crew are killed. Two hours later, LtCdr Donald G. Baer's USS LAPON (SS-260) torpedoes and sinks HOKKI MARU at 15-50N, 117-41E. Two crewmen are killed.

28 September 1944:
At 1000, the convoy arrives at Santa Cruz.

30 September 1944:
At 0710 the convoy departs Santa Cruz.

1 October 1944:
At 0700, departs Santa Cruz. At 1100, LtCdr William C. Thompson's (USNA ’34) USS CABRILLA (SS-288) torpedoes and sinks ZUIYO MARU at 16-07N, 119-43E. 45 survivors of URAL MARU, two Gunners and 19 crewmen are KIA. At 1155, USS CABRILLA also torpedoes and sinks KYOKUHO MARU loaded with crude oil, at 16-11N, 119-44E. 43 of the 112 troops on board, nine watchmen and 66 crewmen are KIA.

2 October 1944:
Arrives at North San Feranando. At 1925 CD-25 departs San Fernando.

3 October 1944:
At 0900 CD-25 and CD-32 joins briefly with MI-19 convoy. At 1500 the convoy arrives at Lapoc.

4 October 1944:
At 0600 CD-25 and CD-32 detach from the convoy and at 1730 arrives at San Fernando.

5 October 1944:
At 0630 departs San Fernando and at 1800 arrives at Santa Cruz.

6 October 1944:
At 0610, CD-25 and CD-32 departs Santa Cruz and at 1500 north of San Fernando meets up with kaibokan CD-8, and minesweeper W-20 as part of escort of combined MATA-28 and MIMA-11 convoys consisting of oilers KAMOI and TACHIBANA MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 with KOHOKU, HOKUREI, BUNZAN, SHOEI (2764 gt), HOKUSEN, TERUKUNI, HISHIGATA and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8 escorted by subchasers CH-28, CH-30, CH-33 and CH-41.

At about 0800, LtCdr Henry C. Stevenson's (USNA ’30) USS ASPRO (SS-309) attacks the convoy. Stevenson fires three torpedoes by periscope at a tanker and claims one hit, but actually achieves no results. At 1530, LtCdr Thompson's USS CABRILLA torpedoes HOKUREI MARU and YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2. HOKUREI MARU is badly damaged and beached off Vigan. Five passengers and four crewmen are killed in the torpedo attack. YAMAMIZU MARU No. 2 sinks with the loss of 56 crewmen. Only two survivors are rescued. At 1830, the convoy retires to Lapoc Bay, Philippines.

7 October 1944:
At 0030, the rest of convoy departs for Yulin, Hainan Island, except for TERUKUNI and OMINE MARUs and SHINYO MARU No. 8. At 0600, TACHIBANA MARU and KAMOI are detached accompanied by kaibokan CD-8 and probably subchaser CH-28.

8 October 1944:
At 2325, LtCdr (later Cdr) Victor B. McCrea's (USNA ’32) USS HOE (SS-258) torpedoes and sinks KOHOKU MARU at 18-31N, 116-00E. 361 passengers, ten guards, five watchmen and 41 crewmen are KIA – a total of 417 men killed. CD-25 and CH-41 launch an immediate depth charge attack while CD-32 and W-20 shepherd the convoy away from the area.

9 October 1944:
Air raids on Takao are imminent, so at 1600 the convoy is ordered to Hong Kong.

11 October 1944:
At 1013. the convoy arrives Hong Kong.

14 October 1944:
CD-25 and CD-32 departs Hong Kong.

18 October 1944:
At 1100 arrive and Yulin and departs at 1700. Off Samah, Hainan Island. CD-25 and kaibokan CD-32 join the escort of convoy HI-76 consisting of oilers KUROSHIO, TENEI, NICHIEI, TARAKAN and TOHO (1944) MARUs and cargo ship TEIHOKU (ex-French PERSEE) MARU escorted by escort carrier SHINYO and kaibokan DAITO, KANJU, KURAHASHI, CD-28 and torpedo boat HIYODORI.

20 October 1944:
CD-25 and KURAHASHI are detached to escort oiler NICHIEI MARU to Coron Bay, Philippines. The escort CO advises the ships to make for Ulugan Bay, Palawan, Philippines because Coron is within the range of American land-based aircraft.

22 October 1944:
Arrives at Ulugan Bay, Palawan.

24 October 1944:
Departs Ulugan for Coron.

26 October 1944:
At 1500 arrives at Takao. Departs later that day

29 October 1944:
Arrives at Takao.

30 October 1944:
At 0710 CD-25 departs Takao with destroyers HASU, TSUGA, kaibokan DAITO and cable ship TSURUSHIMA escorting convoy TAMO-27 consisting of TEIKA (ex-Vichy French CAP VARELLA), UNZEN, DAIKO MARUs, tanker EIYO MARU and six unidentified merchant ships.

31 October 1944:
At 0600 the convoy departs Kirun.

5 November 1944:
At 2100 arrives at Moji. CD-25 immediately departs for Sasebo.

6 November 1944:
At 0915 arrives at Sasebo. Undergoes repairs.

24 November 1944:
At 0700 departs Sasebo and at 1600 arrives at Moji.

25 November 1944:
At 2000, CD-25 departs Moji with escort carrier KAIYO, destroyers KAMIKAZE and YUZUKI and kaibokan CD-35, CD-63, CD-64 and CD-207 escorting convoy HI-83 consisting of transport/cargo liners SANUKI, TEIHOKU (ex French PERSEE), ORYOKU and NISSHO MARUs (bound for Manila except for TEIHOKU MARU), and tankers AKASHI (bound for Takao only), KYOKUUN, SEISHIN, HARIMA, TOA and EISHO MARUs for Singapore.

30 November 1944:
At 0600, arrives at Takao. AKASHI and TEIHOKU MARUs are detached together with the Manila contingent. KAIYO stops at nearby Saei.

1 December 1944:
Convoy HI-83 departs Takao for Singapore. MIRI MARU joins the convoy and patrol boat P-102 (ex-USS STEWART, DD-224) joins the escort.

3 December 1944:
Arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island.

8 December 1944:
Departs Yulin with the convoy.

9 December 1944:
Arrives at Quinhon, French Indochina.

13 December 1944:
HI-83 arrives at Seletar Naval Base, Singapore.

10 December 1944:
Reassigned to the General Escort Command’s First Escort Fleet.

13 December 1944:
At 2135, LtCdr John M. Hyde's (USNA ’34) USS BERGALL (SS-320) fires six torpedoes at heavy cruiser MYOKO that is enroute from Singapore to Camranh Bay escorted by destroyer USHIO. One torpedo hits MYOKO and she goes dead in the water at 8-10N, 105-31E. USHIO tows her towards Singapore.

In the next few days, auxiliary subchasers KAIKO MARU and TATEBE MARU and two minesweepers of the 21st Special Base Force arrive. TATEBE MARU commences towing MYOKO. Later, Vice Admiral Hashimoto Shintaro (41) departs Singapore in HAGURO to tow MYOKO back to port. Meanwhile, destroyers KASUMI and HATSUSHIMO arrive from Indochina and commence towing operations.

20 December 1944:
CD-25 arrives with kaibokan CD-35, OKINAWA and CHIBURI and replace KASUMI that is detached for Saigon.

25 December 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

26 December 1944:
At 1158, patrol boat PB-102 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier KAIYO, minelayer NIIZAKI, kaibokan OKINAWA, CD-207, CD-25 and CD-63 escorting convoy HI-84 consisting of transport AWA MARU, oilers AKASHI, TOA, RYOEI and MIRI MARUs, transport IKUTAGAWA MARU and two unidentified ships. AWA MARU carries about 525 British, American and Australian POWs.

29 December 1944:
At 1157, HI-84 arrives at Cape St. Jacques (near Saigon) and departs at 1625 the same day. AKASHI and IKUTAGAWA MARUs remain behind. CD-27 and CD-34 join the convoy at this point.

30 December 1944:
South China Sea. HI-84 passes CarDiv 4's hybrid battleship/carriers ISE and HYUGA, cruisers OYODO and ASHIGARA, DesDiv 2's ASASHIMO and DesDiv 18's KASUMI that are enroute south from Camranh Bay. Later that day at 1157, HI-84 arrives at Binhoang Bay, Indochina.

31 December 1944:
At 0745, HI-84 departs Binhoang Bay. Soon after departure, LtCdr Otis R. Cole's (USNA ’36) USS DACE (SS-247) fires three torpedoes at KAIYO, but gets no hits. There is no counterattack, as the convoy seems unaware of the attack. At 1804, HI-84 arrives at Quinhon, Indochina.

1 January 1945:
At 0057 departs Quinhon.

2 January 1945:
At 0105 arrives at Tourane.

3 January 1945:
At 0755 departs Tourane. Later S of Hainan Island. MIRI MARU strikes a mine and her engine room floods. She is left behind, but manages to reach Hong Kong.

4 January 1945:
Arrives at Waglan Island (also known as Rugged Rock, now Wang Lang Island/Henglan Dao) near Hong Kong, China.

5 January 1945:
At 1840, convoy HI-84 arrives at the Hong Kong area and departs Waglan Island at 1937.

9 January 1945:
At 1120 arrives at Chusan Retto, E of Shanghai.

10 January 1945:
At 0720 departs Chusan Retto.

13 January 1945:
At 1725, arrives at Moji. Later that day CD-25 departs Moji.

14 January 1945:
Arrives at Kure. Undergoes repairs.

20 January 1945:
Reassigned to the Seventh Fleet’s 103rd Escort Squadron based at the Tsushima Straits.

24 January 1945:
Departs Kure.

25 January 1945:
Arrives at Moji.

26 January 1945:
At 0800. departs Moji in convoy HI-91 consisting of tankers TOJO and EIYO MARUs and transports SANUKI and KITSURIN MARUs escorted by kaibokan KUME, SHONAN, CD-25, CD-53 and destroyers NOKAZE and KAMIKAZE.

28 January 1945:
At 0240, LtCdr (later Captain) Gordon W. Underwood's (USNA ’32) USS SPADEFISH (SS-411) torpedoes and sinks SANUKI MARU carrying 52 Type 1 explosive motorboats (EMBs) and 167 men of the 43rd Shinyo Squadron, as well as 26 Type 5 EMBs and 183 men of the 101st Shinyo Squadron, at 33-50N, 122-55E. All 78 EMBs and all of the 43rd Shinyo Squadron's men are lost as are all but 20 men of the 101st Shinyo Squadron. At 0313, USS SPADEFISH torpedoes and sinks KUME with 89 sailors KIA. KAMIKAZE rescues survivors from both ships and is detached to Chinkai to land them.

30 January 1945:
KITSURIN MARU is detached from the convoy and heads to Shanghai. Later, near Formosa, destroyer NOKAZE is also detached.

1 February 1945:
At 2150, arrives at Langyeh Wan, Hainan Island.

2 February 1945:
At 1500, departs Hainan Island.

3 February 1945:
At 1915, arrives Qui Sande anchorage, Indochina.

4 February 1945:
At 2100, departs Qui Sande anchorage.

8 February 1945:
At 1730, arrives Singapore.

18 February 1945:
At 1640, CD-82 departs Singapore for Moji with kaibokan SHONAN and CD-25 escorting convoy HI-92 consisting of oilers TOJO MARU and TATEKAWA MARU No. 2 escorted by kaibokan SHONAN and CD-25. At 2109, TOJO MARU strikes a mine and is damaged, but able to proceed.

21 February 1945:
At 2240, temporarily anchors in Camranh Bay.

22 February 1945:
At 1100, departs Camranh Bay. TATEKAWA MARU No. 2 hits a mine off Cape Padaran and sinks with unknown casualties. At 1505 the ships anchor off Padaran Bay.

23 February 1945:
At 1100 departs Padaran Bay.

25 February 1945:
S of Yulin, Hainan Island. At 0420, LtCdr Miles P. Refo’s USS HOE (SS-258) torpedoes and sinks SHONAN at 17-20N, 110-35E. TOJO MARU makes for Yulin while CD-25 counterattacks, dropping 20 depth charges. USS HOE evades and escapes undamaged. CD-25 rescues 9 sailors from SHONAN.

28 February 1945:
CD-25 arrives at Yulin and departs later this day.

2 March 1945:
At 1900, anchors off Swatow.

3 March 1945:
At 0800, departs Swatow.

5 March 1945:
At 1300, arrives Ssu Chiao Shan.

8 March 1945:
At 1430, departs Ssu Chiao Shan with CD-39 and submarine chaser CH-19 as additional escorts. (It is possible CD-82 joined at this time, earlier or perhaps not at all).

10 March 1945:
At 1700, arrives at Pusan.

11 March 1945:
At 0600 departs Pusan and at 1630, convoy HI-92 arrives at Moji.

12 March 1945:
At 0600 departs Moji.

13 March 1945:
Arrives at Sasebo. Undergoes repairs.

27 March 1945:
Completes repairs.

28 March 1945:
Attached to the Chinkai guard unit.

30 March 1945:
At 0730 departs Sasebo and arrives at Sakito Ko later this day. Later arrives at Chinkai.

2 April 1945:
At 0600 departs Chinkai.

3 April 1945:
At 1030 arrives at Hikin Do.

4 April 1945:
At 0615 departs Hikin Do on an anti submarine sweep.

8 April 1945:
At 1110 arrives back at Hikin Do and departs with kaibokan OKI at 1215 on another anti submarine sweep.

11 April 1945:
At 0825 arrives back at Hikin Do with kaibokan CD-215.

14 April 1945:
At 1630 departs Hikin Do escorting a convoy. It is possible the warship met MO-705 Part 2 at sea- see entry below.

25 April 1945:
At 1025 arrives briefly back at Hikin Do, before departing at 1700 with OKI, CD-219 and submarine chaser CH-21 escorting convoy MO-705 part 2 consisting of KOCHO, GYOSHI (ex Dutch REAEL), HENGSHAN, GAKUJO, KAIJUN and TOYU MARUs, YORO MARU No. 2 and tanker RYUEI MARU No. 3.

26 April 1945:
Arrives at Chinkai.

29 April 1945:
At 0950 departs Chinkai.

2 May 1945:
CD-25 is ordered to rescue survivors of MIYADAMA MARU that was bombed and sunk the previous day in the Yellow Sea. Meanwhile LtCdr Russell Kefauver’s (USNA ’33) USS SPRINGER (SS-414) sinks kaibokan OJIKA with all 226 crewmen.

3 May 1945:
Yellow Sea. CD-25 is proceeding to the scene of the sinking of OJIKA. At about 2300, Kefauver’s USS SPRINGER makes a night surface radar attack on CD-25. Kefauver fires six torpedoes and claims three hits on the small escort. CD-25 capsizes and sinks at 33-56N, 122-49E. All 175 hands are lost, including her CO, Reserve LtCdr Nakano Takehide.

25 May 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Thanks for assistance from Mr. Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page