(Type C Escort by Takeshi Yuki scanned from "Color Paintings of Japanese Warships")

IJN Escort CD-19:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2007-2017 Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Revision 5

15 December 1943:
Tsurumi, Yokohama. Laid down at Nippon Kokan, K. K.’s shipyard.

28 February 1944:
Launched and numbered CD-19.

28 April 1944:
Completed and registered in the IJN.

24 May 1944:
CD-19 and CHIBURI depart Kure.

25 May 1944:
Both ships arrive at Moji.

29 May 1944:
At 0600, CD-19 departs Moji with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, kaibokan AWAJI, CHIBURI, minelayer TSUBAME and subchaser CH-60 escorting convoy HI-65 consisting of oilers SHIRETOKO, ITSUKUSHIMA, OMUROSAN, ZUIHO and TOHO MARUs, cargo liners ARIMASAN, MANILA, KASHII and TATSUWA MARUs and IJA landing craft depot ship SHINSHU MARU. Later, light minelayer TSUBAME departs Moji, then catches up with the convoy and joins the escort.

2 June 1944:
Bashi Strait, near Yasho Island. LtCdr (later Captain) Enrique D. Haskins' (USNA ’33) new USS GUITARRO (SS-363) torpedoes and sinks kaibokan AWAJI at 22-34N, 121-15E. Cdr Niki Kozo and 75 crew-members are KIA. CH-19 and CHIBURI rescue the survivors, but several die of their wounds.

LtCdr (later Captain) Albert L. Raborn's (USNA ’34) USS PICUDA (SS-382) fires two torpedoes at passenger-cargo ship ARIMASAN MARU that cause her to collide with IJA landing craft depot ship SHINSHU MARU's stern. This causes a depth-charge explosion that kills about 70 men and causes rudder damage. Passenger-cargo ship KASHII MARU takes SHINSHU MARU in tow. Liner ARIMASAN MARU is lightly damaged in the attack and heads for Keelung, Formosa with KASHII and SHINSHU MARUs. CHIBURI and CD-19 escorts the ships.

3 June 1944:
At 1200 HI-65 arrives at Keelung, Formosa.

4 June 1944:
Departs Keelung. Later that day at 0800, arrives at Takao, Formosa. KAIYO rejoins the convoy after brief stop at Saei (Tsoying) Formosa. Tanker JINEI MARU joins the convoy at sea. ARIMASAN, MANILA, KASHII, TATSUWA and SHINSHU MARUs are all detached for Manila. At 2000 the convoy departs Takao.

5 June 1944:
CD-19 is detached from the convoy to hunt an enemy submarine and then returns to Takao, arriving at 2015. Undertakes repairs.

10 June 1944:
At 1220 CD-19 departs Takao alone.

11 June 1944:
HI-65 arrives at Singapore. That same day at 0800 CD-19 arrives at Kirun. At 1800 departs Kirun.

13 June 1944:
At 1125 arrives at Takao.

16 June 1944:
At 1725 departs Takao to provide cover for inbound convoy HO-02. (It is unclear if the ship actually met the convoy)

17 June 1944:
At 1740 arrives back at Takao.

18 June 1944:
At 1430 CD-19 departs Takao with destroyer KURETAKE and auxiliary subchaser CHa-94 escorting convoy TAMA-21 consisting of SHIMPO, YAGI, TAMA, OYO, IKOMASAN and TOSHO MARUs. TOSHO MARU is towing a hyoteki cargo barge.

23 June 1944:
At 0800 arrives at Manila.

26 June 1944:
At 0600 departs Manila escorting convoy TAPA-09 consisting of TAMA, OYO and AZUCHISAN MARUs and three unidentified merchant ships escorted by destroyer KURETAKE, kaibokan CD-16 and CD-19 and subchasers CH-12, CH-35.

28 June 1944:
Arrives at Cebu. KURETAKE is detached.

30 June 1944:
At 1000, CD-19 departs Cebu, Philippines with kaibokan CD-6 and CD-16 and subchasers CH-12 and CH-35 escorting convoy SEPA-01/SEDA-01 consisting of TAMA, OYO and AZUCHISAN MARUs.

1 July 1944:
TAMA MARU separates with CD-16, CD-6, CH-12 and CH-35 and heads for Palau. OYO and AZUCHISAN MARUs and CD-19 head for Davao.

E 2 July 1944:
Kaibokan MIKURA meets up and joins the convoy.

3 July 1944:
At 0730 arrives at Davao.

7 July 1944:
At 1000 departs Davao escorting convoy DAMA-01 consisting of unidentified merchant ships also escorted by kaibokan MIKURA, submarine chaser CH-48, torpedo boat HIYODORI, and minelayers KYOSAI and YURIJIMA.

9 July 1944:
At 1700 arrives at Cebu.

11 July 1944:
At 0700 departs Cebu still escorting DAMA-01.

13 July 1944:
At 1800 arrives at Manila.

25 July 1944:
CD-19 departs Manila with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, kaibokan SADO, CHIBURI, CD-7, CD-9 and CD-13 escorting the final leg of convoy HI-69 consisting of tankers OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, KUROSHIO, SERIA, TENEI and HAKKO MARUs and transports KACHIDOKI and KIMIKAWA MARUs.

31 July 1944:
At 1745, arrives at Singapore.

4 August 1944:
At 2100, CD-19 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, destroyer SHIMOTSUKI and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO and CD-13 and escorting convoy HI-70 consisting of MANJU, KINUGASA, ARIMASAN MARUs and oilers SERIA, KUROSHIO, HAKKO, OMUROSAN and OTOWASAN MARUs.

12 August 1944:
SADO is detached to hunt an enemy submarine. Later, she proceeds to Kirun separately.

15 August 1944:
HI-70 arrives at Moji at 1430. Soon after CD-19 departs Moji.

16 August 1944:
At 1130 arrives at Sasebo.

23 August 1944:
At 0900 CHIBURI and CD-19 depart Sasebo and at 1800 arrive at Miike.

24 August 1944:
At 0700 departs Miike.

25 August 1944:
At 0500 arrives at Moji. At 0630 CD-19 departs Moji for Singapore with escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-3, CD-21 and CD-27 escorting convoy HI-73 consisting of Army landing craft depot ship KIBITSU MARU, ex-armed merchant cruiser GOKOKU MARU, ex-seaplane tenders KAGU and SANUKI MARUs, tankers TOHO, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, TAIHO, FUJISAN, HAKKO, AMATO, TOA and KUROSHIO MARUs and fleet storeship IRAKO. Later that day, the convoy is joined briefly by transports MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs and tanker MANEI MARU that all depart the following day.

26 August 1944:
CD-1 and CD-13 joins the convoy. MANEI MARU remains at Kyushu because of engine problems. CD-1 and CD-3 are detached and head for Sasebo. At 0900, MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs are ordered away because of excessive smoke.

29 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. Departs that same day and arrives at Tsoying (near Takao).

1 September 1944:
Off Saei. The convoy splits. KIBITSU, GOKOKU and KAGU MARUs (and probably IRAKO) head for Manila. The remaining ships head for Singapore.

3 September 1944:
TOA MARU strikes a mine S of Saigon and is lightly damaged, but able to continue.

5 September 1944:
At 0954, arrives at Seletar, Singapore.

11 September 1944:
At 1100 CD-19 departs Seletar for Moji with Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo's (39) (former CO of KAGA and ComSubRon 7) 5th Guard Fleet's escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII (F) and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-13, CD-21 and CD-27 escorting convoy HI-74 consisting of tankers AZUSA, OTOWASAN, HARIMA, OMUROSAN and HAKKO MARUs.

16 September 1944:
At 2231, OMUROSAN MARU is hit by a torpedo fired by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA ’33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). KASHII fires a red flare signalling a submarine attack, but at 2334, 11,177-ton oiler AZUSA MARU is hit starboard side by two of a salvo of six bow torpedoes fired by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Eugene B. Fluckey's (USNA ’35) USS BARB (SS-220) at the overlapping targets. AZUSA MARU blows up and sinks with all hands (100 crewmen and passengers). UNYO is hit starboard side by the other three torpedoes in Fluckey's salvo; one in the stern in the steering compartment, the other in the engine room. UNYO settles aft.

17 September 1944:
At 0142 UNYO radioes "Torpedo attack, two torpedoes, damage sustained." Sinking was not expected. However, the sea conditions worsened, pounding hard at the fantail, and collapsing the emergency reinforcements to the bulkheads. By 0730, UNYO is listing heavily to starboard, and the order is given to abandon ship. At 0755, she sinks by the stern at 19-10N, 116-35E. (Radio notice at 0805 gives slight variant of 19-08N, 116-36E.") More than 900 crewmen and passengers are lost including her CO, Captain (Rear Admiral posthumously) Kimura Kozo (Ikuzo) (49) as are 48 aircraft, including a cargo of 36 Imperial Army planes UNYO was carrying back to Japan for overhaul and repairs. CHIBURI and CD-27 rescue 55 officers and 706 men.

18 September 1944:
At 1800 arrives at Takao.

19 September 1944:
At 1200 departs Takao.

23 September 1944:
At 1700, arrives at Moji. Soon after CD-19 transfers to Sasebo.

28 September 1944:
At 1400 departs Sasebo.

29 September 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

1 October 1944:
At 0800, CD-19 departs Moji with kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-21 and CD-27 escorting convoy HI-77 consisting of transports MANJU (ex-SANTOS), KINUGASA, ORYOKU MARUs, oilers OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, ARITA, ITSUKUSHIMA, AKANE, TAIHO and KAIHO MARUs, German U-boat supply ship QUITO and two unidentified ships. Arrives at Arikawa Bay that same day.

2 October 1944:
At 0712 departs Arikawa Bay for Singapore.

5 October 1944:
ORYOKU MARU is detached for Kirun. The rest of HI-77 arrives at Takao. Before departing later that day, kaibokan ETOROFU and SHONAN join the escort.

6 October 1944:
About 1410, LtCdr (later Captain) James B. Grady's (USNA ’33) USS WHALE (SS-239) fires five torpedoes at AKANE MARU. They all hit and the 10,000-ton oiler capsizes and sinks. 63 crewmen and 747 Army Management Branch Cadets and Railway Officials are KIA. Kaibokan CD-21 rescues her survivors and searches for the attacking submarine. At 1547, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles W. Wilkins' (USNA ’24)USS SEAHORSE (SS-304) dives and begins an approach on the frigate from 16,900 yards. At 1757, Wilkins, now at 700 yards, fires a full bow spread of six torpedoes. One hits CD-21 that breaks in half and takes down 170 men including all survivors of AKANE MARU.

7 October 1944:
W of Manila. A wolf pack known as the “Holtz Cats”, consisting of LtCdr (later Captain) Arnold H. Holtz’s (USNA ’31) USS BAYA (SS-318), LtCdr Henry D. Sturr’s (USNA ’33) USS BECUNA and LtCdr Francis W. Scanland, Jr’s (USNA ’34) USS HAWKBILL (SS-366) heads through the South China Sea towards Fremantle, Australia.

USS BAYA intercepts a contact report from USS WHALE (SS-239) further north that a convoy escorted by two aircraft carriers and destroyers traveling at 14 knots is heading through USS BAYA's patrol area. Cdr Holtz alerts the USS HAWKBILL and USS BECUNA.

At 1900, USS BECUNA makes radar contact with the northbound convoy. A few minutes later, Scanland’s HAWKBILL sights the convoy. At 2149, USS HAWKBILL fires six torpedoes at a large freighter, but they all miss. Scanland then evades an escort.

Soon after attack on convoy HI-77 begins, MANJU MARU charges a submarine and drops depth charges, an act of bravery the convoy commander later cites.

At 2200, KINUGASA MARU carrying 1,000 port service workers, is hit by one or more torpedoes by either USS BAYA or USS HAWKBILL. Abandon Ship is ordered soon thereafter. MANJU MARU drops depth charges to prevent further attack.[1]

At 2224, USS HAWKBILL, running on the surface, attacks the same large freighter. Scanland fires three more torpedoes. This time two hit and cause a huge explosion. KINUGASA MARU was loaded with ammunition. The entire area is bathed in light. A mushroom of white and yellow flame rises hundreds of feet in the air. [2]

Holtz’s USS BAYA also fires torpedoes at KINUGASA MARU and claims two hits. [3]

At 2227, KINUGASA MARU sinks at 14-30 N, 115-446E. Ten passengers and 33 crewmen are killed.

12 October 1944:
At 1500, the remainder of HI-77 arrives at Singapore.

16 October 1944:
Keio University, Yokohama. From the Combined Fleet's headquarters, Chief of Staff Vice Admiral Kusaka Ryunosuke (41)(former CO of AKAGI) releases a dispatch that assigns CD-19, minelayer YURISHIMA, kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-27 and minesweeper W-34 with oiler ITSUKUSHIMA MARU to Vice Admiral Kurita Takeo's (38)(former CO of KONGO) First Striking Force's 1st Supply Force with oilers NICHEI, YUHO, OMUROSAN, RYOEI and BANEI MARUs. Later, IJA oilers HAKKO and NIPPO MARUs are also assigned to Kurita's force.

17 October 1944:
Vice Admiral Kurita orders CHIBURI and CD-19 to proceed to Brunei Bay, Borneo with ITSUKUSHIMA and BANEI MARUs. Later, he also orders minelayer YURISHIMA and CD-27 to proceed to Brunei with NIPPO and OMUROSAN MARUs.

19 October 1944:
Departs Singapore.

22 October 1944:
Arrives at Brunei. At 0800, Kurita's Striking Force steams for Leyte Gulf via the Sibuyan Sea and San Bernardino Strait. Kurita orders Vice Admiral Nishimura Shoji's (39)(former CO of HARUNA) BatDiv 2, cruiser MOGAMI and four destroyers to sortie through Surigao Strait to Leyte Gulf to envelop the U.S. invasion forces. Vice Admiral Shima Kiyohide's (39)(former CO of OI) Fifth Fleet from the Pescadores is also to sortie through Surigao Strait to Leyte Gulf.

24 October 1944:
Brunei. ITSUKUSHIMA MARU loads 13,000-tons of oil. CD-19 departs with kaibokan CHIBURI and CD-27 escorting oiler NIPPO MARU to refuel Shima's force.

25 October 1944:
Operation "SHO-I-GO" (Victory) The Battle of Leyte Gulf:
In the course of battle, Kurita loses super-battleship MUSASHI, cruisers ATAGO, MAYA, CHOKAI, CHIKUMA and SUZUYA with KUMANO and TAKAO damaged severely. Several destroyers are also lost and damaged. Nishimura loses old battleships FUSO and YAMASHIRO and cruiser MOGAMI. Shima arrives behind Nishimura's force and wisely reverses course away from certain destruction.

31 October 1944:
At 0630 HAKKO, MANEI and YUHO MARUs and storeship HAYASAKI depart Brunei escorted by kaibokan CHIBURI and CD-19, submarine chaser CH-34 and destroyer SHIGURE. At 1930 the ships arrive at Miri.

8 November 1944:
Off Mindoro, Philippines. CD-19, destroyer SHIGURE and kaibokan CHIBURI are escorting a convoy consisting of tanker MANEI MARU and possibly others. The convoy is attacked by a wolfpack of Cdr (later KIA) Thomas B. Oakley, Jr’s (USNA ’34) USS GROWLER (SS-215)(F), LtCdr Frank E. Haylor's (USNA ’36) USS HAKE (SS-256) and LtCdr (later Cdr) Francis A. Greenup's (USNA ’36) USS HARDHEAD (SS-365). During the action, at about 0400, USS HARDHEAD sinks MANEI MARU loaded with 7,000-tons of crude oil, at 13-30N, 119-25E. 36 crewmen are KIA. The escorts launch a heavy depth charge counter-attack and possibly sink USS GROWLER that goes MIA after this attack.

15 November 1944:
CD-19 departs Manila with CHIBURI escorting fleet oiler YUHO MARU, loaded with avgas. The convoy stops several times en route south.

E 23 November 1944:
CD-17, from Saigon, joins the escort of the convoy, probably in the area of the Palawan Passage.

26 November 1944:
Off Miri, Sarawak. LtCdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) David B. Bell's (USNA ’37) USS PARGO (SS-264) torpedoes YUHO MARU loaded with avgas, at 04-55N, 114-06E. 26 crewmen are KIA. All three kaibokan counterattack the submarine with depth charges, causing moderate damage. CHIBURI takes YUHO MARU in tow to Miri, but the oiler sinks inside the port on 2 December.

10 December 1944:
At 1600 Oiler NICHIEI MARU departs Singapore escorted by kaibokan CD-19.

12 December 1944:
NICHIEI MARU arrives at Lingga Anchorage. CD-19 returns to Singapore. At 1600, CD-19 departs Singapore with kaibokan ETOROFU, SHONAN, KUME and CD-9 escorting convoy HI-82 consisting of tankers OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, ARITA, PALEMBANG and HASHIDATE MARUs.

17 December 1944:
Arrives at Camranh Bay.

19 December 1944:
Departs Camranh Bay.

21 December 1944:
CD-19 detaches from convoy and departs St Jacques escorting oiler NICHIEI MARU.

22 December 1944:
Arrives at Camranh Bay. Meanwhile at 0550, OTOWASAN (63 crewmen, 56 troops and one passenger KIA), OMUROSAN (two crewmen KIA) and ARITA (57 crewmen KIA) MARUs are all torpedoed by LtCdr (later Captain-Ret) George W. Grider's (USNA ’36) USS FLASHER (SS-249). All three burst into flames and sink at 15-02N, 109-08E.

24 December 1944:
At 0900, the surviving ships arrive at Takao. CD-9 is detached. CD-19 arrives at Saigon.

26 December 1944:
Departs Saigon with kaibokan CD-17 escorting oiler NICHIEI MARU.

29 December 1944:
Arrives at Singapore. Undergoes repairs.

4 January 1945:
CD-19, CD-17 and CHIBURI are reassigned to SW Area Fleet with their division.

5 January 1945:
CD-19, CD-17 and CHIBURI depart Singapore to provide distant cover for NICHIEI MARU that departed Singapore for Moji on 3 January carrying 13,000 tons of oil. They all rendezvouse and the kaibokan take up the escort.

6 January 1945:
Gulf of Thailand, 60 miles NE of Kota Bharu, Malaya. LtCdr (later Cdr) Thomas L. Wogan’s (USNA ’30) USS BESUGO (SS-321), patrolling the mouth of the Gulf, picks up a target on SJ radar. In a night surface attack, LtCdr Wogan fires six torpedoes; three strike home and sink NICHIEI MARU loaded with 13,000-tons of heavy oil and carrying 205 passengers, at 06-57N, 102-57E. 41 crewmen including her CO, Captain Okano Ikkan (36) and 30 troops are KIA. CD-19, CD-17 and CHIBURI rescue the survivors. Okano is promoted Rear Admiral, posthumously.

10 January 1945:
CD-19, CD-17 and CHIBURI land NICHIEI MARU's survivors at Cap St. Jacques.

12 January 1945:
Off Cape St. Jacques. Aircraft of Vice Admiral (Admiral posthumously) John S. McCain, Sr’s Task Force 38 attack shipping, airfields and other shore installations in the Saigon area. Planes from USS LEXINGTON (CV-16), USS HANCOCK (CV-19) and USS HORNET (CV-12) sink kaibokan CD-19 (casualties unknown), CHIBURI (88 sailors KIA) and CD-17 (159 hands, including 12 officers KIA) at 10-20N, 107-50E.

10 March 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors' Note:
[1] The time of the torpedoing of KINUGASA MARU is based on Japanese records and varies from American records; however, the early abandonment of the ship better explains the low number of lives lost.

[2] Most sources, including Japanese sources, credit USS HAWKBILL and USS BAYA with sinking KINUGASA MARU W of Balintang Channel, NNW of Luzon at 19-40N, 118-05E.

[3] USS BAYA claimed two hits at 2233 - six minutes after USS HAWKBILL reported KINUGASA MARU sank.

Thanks to Mr. Gilbert Casse of France

-Bob Hackett and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page