(Type C (Class I)(odd-numbered) Escort)

IJN Escort CD-13:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2007-2017 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall
Revision 7

18 November 1943:
Tsurumi. Laid down at Nippon Kokan's shipyard as kaibokan No. 2407.

25 January 1944:
Renumbered CD-13.

9 February 1944:

20 February 1944:
Reserve Lt (Cdr, posthumously) Iizuka Tomokichi (former CO of the auxiliary gunboat CHOAN MARU No. 2) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer of CD-13, CD-17 and CD-19.

31 March 1944:
Reserve Lt Kondo Genichi (former navigating officer of TAKASAKI) is appointed Chief Equipping Officer.

3 April 1944:
Completed and commissioned in the IJN. Attached to Yokosuka Naval District. Assigned to Kure Guard Force. Reserve Lt (later LtCdr) Kondo Genichi is the CO.

1 May 1944:
At 1300 departs Kure.

2 May 1944:
At 0600 arrives at Moji.

3 May 1944:
At 0400 departs Moji with escort carrier TAIYO, destroyers ASAGAO, HIBIKI and INAZUMA, kaibokan SADO, CD-5, CD-7, CD-13, escorting convoy HI-61, consisting of tankers AKANE, TATEKAWA, NICHIEI, AZUSA, JINEI, EIYO, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and ASANAGI MARUs, transport MIZUHO MARU and fleet oiler HAYASUI.

7 May 1944:
JINEI MARU develops engine troubles and is detached for Takao with KURAHASHI and CD-13. ASAGAO, detached earlier that day, steams on ahead, arriving at Takao the same day.

8 May 1944:
At 1530 the ships arrive at Takao. At 1830 CD-13 joins convoy MI-03 and departs Takao en route to Manila. The convoy consists of DAITEN, DAIRIN, ATAGO, ZUIYO, KOTOKU, SHUNTEN, CHIYODA, SHOHEI, NIKKO, ETAJIMA, DAIJUN, TOUN, SHINNO, TAISEI, RYUKA and KENWA MARUs, OGURA MARU No. 2, UNKAI MARU No. 5, EIYO MARU No. 2, SHINSEI MARU No. 1 with destroyer SHIOKAZE, torpedo boat HATO, kaibokan KURAHASHI (partway only), CD-1 (partway only), subchaser CH-37 (partway only) and auxiliary gunboat PEKING MARU as escorts.

10 May 1944:
At 15.38N 119.32E off entrance to Manila Bay Cdr (later Rear Admiral) James C. Dempsey's (USNA '31) USS COD launches a series of attacks and sinks KARUKAYA with the loss of 73 crewmen KIA (including 60 missing) and then SHOHEI MARU, the latter with the loss of six crewmen and 38 others. The rest of the convoy arrives at Manila later that day and KURAHASHI and CD-13 are detached to hunt the submarine.

11 May 1944:
At 0300 arrives at Manila.

12 May 1944:
At 0500 CD-13 and KURAHASHI departs Manila for Singapore with escort carrier TAIYO, destroyers ASAGAO, HIBIKI and INAZUMA, kaibokans SADO, CD-5 and CD-7 escorting convoy HI-61, consisting of empty tankers AKANE, TATEKAWA, NICHIEI, AZUSA, EIYO, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and ASANAGI MARUs, transport MIZUHO and fleet oiler HAYASUI.

18 May 1944:
At 1830 arrives at Singapore.

23 May 1944:
At 0700, CD-13 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier TAIYO and kaibokan KURAHASHI, SADO, CD-5 and CD-7 escorting convoy HI-62, consisting of transports KINUGASA, NOSHIRO, NISSHO and TEIRITSU (ex-French LECONTE DE LISLE) MARUs and tankers OTORISAN, SARAWAK and NICHINAN (5175 gt) MARUs. (NICHINAN MARU may be error for tanker NICHINAN MARU No. 2)

28 May 1944:
CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 are detached to assist tanker SHIMPO MARU that has suffered an engine breakdown (it is unclear if this ship was part of HI-62, she left Singapore on 24 May and arrived at Takao 1 June)

29 May 1944:
HI-62 arrives at Manila. IJA Landing craft depot ship TAMATSU MARU joins the convoy.

30 May 1944:
At 1200 CD-5, CD-7 and CD-13 arrive at Manila.

1 June 1944:
At 0400, HI-62 departs Manila.

8 June 1944:
At 0200 arrives at Mutsure anchorage, later proceeds to Moji, arriving at 0230.

9 June 1944:
At 0700 departs Moji and at 1900 arrives at Sasebo. Undergoes repairs.

19 June 1944:
Arrives at Mutsure.

20 June 1944:
At 1930, CD-13 departs Moji for Singapore with destroyers ASAGAO and KURETAKE and kaibokan KURAHASHI, HIRADO, CD-2 and CD-5, minelayer SHIRATAKA and subchaser CH-61 escorting convoy HI-67, consisting of transports MANJU, NANKAI, KINUGASA, ASAKA, ASAHISAN, GOKOKU and HAKOZAKI MARUs and oilers MIRI, OTORISAN, SARAWAK and SHINEI MARUs and NICHINAN MARU No. 2.

At about 1510, LtCdr Anton R. Gallaher's (USNA '33) USS BANG (SS-385) attacks convoy HI-67 at 17-13N, 118-18E. Gallaher fires a spread of five torpedoes. Tankers MIRI and SARAWAK MARUs are each hit in the bow by a torpedo and damaged, but both are able to proceed. CD-5 also suffers unspecified damage during the action.

30 June 1944:
At 0700 ASAGAO and CD-2 depart Manila to join convoy HI-67. At 1900 the convoy arrives at Manila. ASAGAO and KURETAKE, CD-2 and CD-5, destroyers ASAGAO and KURETAKE and MIRI and SARAWAK MARUs are detached.

3 July 1944:
At 0600, CD-13 departs Manila for Singapore with kaibokan HIRADO, KURAHASHI and CD-5 and minelayer SHIRATAKA and subchaser CH-61 escorting convoy HI-67, now consisting of transports ASAKA, ASAHISAN MANJU, HAKOZAKI, KINUGASA and NANKAI MARUs and oilers OTORISAN and SHINEI MARUs and NICHINAN MARU No. 2.

9 July 1944:
Arrives at Singapore at 1640.

14 July 1944:
At 0730, CD-13, departs Singapore for Moji via Manila with minelayer SHIRATAKA and kaibokan KURAHASHI, HIRADO, CD-20 and CD-28, escorting convoy HI-68, consisting of transports KIYOKAWA and MANILA MARUs and tankers TOA, SHIMPO, NICHINAN No. 2, TOHO and OTORISAN MARUs. SHIMPO MARU is detached en route at Takao.

20 July 1944:
At 1300, arrives at Manila. SHIRATAKA had detached en route.

25 July 1944:
CD-13 departs Manila with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, kaibokan SADO, CHIBURI, CD-7, CD-9 and CD-19, escorting the final leg of convoy HI-69 consisting of tankers OTOWASAN, OMUROSAN, SERIA, KUROSHIO, TENEI, HAKKO MARUs and transports KACHIDOKI (ex-American PRESIDENT HARRISON) and KIMIKAWA MARUs.

31 July 1944:
At 1745, arrives at Singapore.

4 August 1944:
At 2100, CD-13 departs Singapore for Moji with escort carrier SHINYO, light cruiser KASHII, destroyer SHIMOTSUKI and kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO and CD-19, escorting convoy HI-70, consisting of MANJU, KINUGASA, ARIMASAN MARUs and oilers SERIA, KUROSHIO, HAKKO, OMUROSAN and OTOWASAN MARUs.

12 August 1944:
NE of Taiwan. CD-13 and SADO are briefly detached to chase a submarine spotted by a MAD-equipped Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" from the escort carrier SHINYO. Later SADO proceeds to Kirun separately. CD-13 is joined by auxiliary minesweeper AOI MARU and auxiliary patrol boat NITTO MARU No. 22.

15 August 1944:
HI-70 arrives at Moji at 1430.

16 August 1944:
CD-13 departs Moji and arrives at Sasebo.

21 August 1944:
At 1300 departs Sasebo and at 1900 arrives at Imari Wan.

24 August 1944:
At 1143 departs Imari Wan and at 1800 arrives at Arikawa Wan.

25 August 1944:
At 0630 convoy HI-73 departs Moji for Singapore with escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-3, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27 as escorts and consisting of IJA landing craft depot ship KIBITSU MARU, ex-armed merchant cruiser GOKOKU MARU, ex-seaplane tenders KAGU and SANUKI MARUs, tankers TOHO, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, TAIHO, FUJISAN, HAKKO, AMATO, TOA and KUROSHIO MARUs and fleet storeship IRAKO. Later that day, the convoy is joined briefly by transports MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs and tanker MANEI MARU that all depart the following day.

26 August 1944:
CD-1 and CD-13 joins the convoy. MANEI MARU remains at Kyushu because of engine problems. CD-1 and CD-3 are detached and head for Sasebo. At 0900, MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs are ordered away because of excessive smoke.

29 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. Departs that same day and arrives at Tsoying (near Takao). FUJISAN and TAIHO MARUs remain behind.

30 August 1944:
KUROSHIO MARU is detached with engine problems and arrives back at Takao later that day.

1 September 1944:
Off Saei. The convoy splits. KIBITSU, GOKOKU and KAGU MARUs (and probably IRAKO) head for Manila. The remaining ships head for Singapore.

3 September 1944:
TOA MARU strikes a mine S of Saigon and is lightly damaged, but able to continue.

5 September 1944:
At 0954, arrives at Seletar, Singapore.

11 September 1944:
At 1100 CD-13 departs Seletar for Moji with Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo's (39)(former CO of KAGA and ComSubRon 7) 5th Guard Fleet's escort carrier UNYO, light cruiser KASHII (F) and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27, escorting convoy HI-74, consisting of tankers AZUSA, OTOWASAN, HARIMA, OMUROSAN and HAKKO MARUs.

16 September 1944:
At 2231, OMUROSAN MARU is hit by a torpedo fired by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA '33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). KASHII fires a red flare signalling a submarine attack, but at 2334, 11,177-ton oiler AZUSA MARU is hit starboard side by two of a salvo of six bow torpedoes fired by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Eugene B. Fluckey's (USNA '35) USS BARB (SS-220) at the overlapping targets. AZUSA MARU blows up and sinks with all hands. (100 crewmen and passengers KIA). UNYO is hit on the starboard side by the other three torpedoes in Fluckey's salvo; one in the stern in the steering compartment, the other in the engine room. UNYO settles aft.

17 September 1944:
By 0730, UNYO is listing heavily to starboard, and the order is given to abandon ship. At 0755, UNYO sinks by the stern at 19-10N, 116-35E. More than 900 crewmen and passengers are lost as are 48 aircraft, including a cargo of 36 Imperial Army planes UNYO was carrying back to Japan for overhaul and repairs. CHIBURI and CD-27 rescue 55 officers and 706 men.

23 September 1944:
At 1700, arrives at Moji. At 2200 CD-13 departs.

24 September 1944:
At 1240 arrives at Sasebo.

30 September 1944:
At 0400 departs Sasebo and at 1600 arrives at Moji.

4 October 1944:
At 1532 departs Moji with Rear Admiral Matsuyama Mitsuharuís (former CO of KITAKAMI) 7th Convoy Escort Groupís kaibokan SHIMUSHU (F), OKINAWA and CD-11, escorting convoy MOMA-04, consisting of transports NOTO, KINKA, KASHII MARUs and IJA landing craft depot ship TAKATSU (KOZU) MARU.

6 October 1944:
At 1600 arrives at Woosung. The ships load the IJAís 1st Division's main body of about 10,000 men plus equipment.

10 October 1944:
At 0900 SHIMUSHU, CD-11 and CD-13 departs Woosung and at 1700 arrives at Ssu Chiao Shan.

12 October 1944:
At 0700, the main convoy departs Woosung, E of Shanghai, for Manila, via Ssu Chiao Shan.

13 October 1944:
ASAMA MARU carrying 5,000 troops joins the convoy off Shushan (Chusan or todays Zhoushan) Island.

15 October 1944:
CD-11 and CD-13 departs Ssu Chiao Shan.

16 October 1944:
At 1100 arrives at Woosung.

17 October 1944:
At 0700 CD-11 and CD-13 depart Woosung and later that day arrive back at Ssu Chiao Shan.

19 October 1944:
Shushan Islands (Ssu Chiao Shan). ASAMA MARU, carrying 5,000 troops, escorted by kaibokan OKINAWA arrives from Shanghai and joins convoy MOMA-04.

20 October 1944:
At 0230, convoy MOMA-04 departs the Ssu Chiao Shan (Shushan Islands).

22 October 1944:
At 1900 arrives at Sabtang.

23 October 1944:
At 0300 departs Sabtang and at 1820 arrives at Cabugao Bay.

24 October 1944:
At 0700 departs Cabugao Bay and at 1730 arrives at Lapoc Bay.

25 October 1944:
At 0330 departs Lapoc Bay and at 2351 arrives in Lingayen Gulf.

26 October 1944:
At 0600 departs Lingayen Gulf. At 2315, the convoy arrives at Manila.

31 October 1944: Operation TA No. 2:
Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Kimura Masatomi's (41) SHIMUSHU (F) departs Manila with kaibokan CD-13, CD-11 and OKINAWA, escorting transports NOTO, KINKA, KASHII MARUs and IJA landing craft depot ship TAKATSU (KOZU) MARU.

2 November 1944:
Early in the morning at 0645 the convoy is attacked by P-38 "Lightning" fighter-bombers. OKINAWA claims shooting down one. During the attack all kaibokan stream kites loaded with explosives as an AA measure, the first time this weapon is used in action. In the afternoon, the convoy is attacked by two dozen B-24 "Liberator" heavy bombers. NOTO MARU, mostly unloaded, suffers a near miss by a 500-lb bomb that causes her to flood and sink. Aboard was the Army's 66th Specially Established Machine Cannon Unit with its twelve Type 98 20mm. Three crewmen, one gunner, 30 troops and 50 other passengers are KIA. At 1730 the ships depart Ormoc.

4 November 1944:
At 0445 the convoy arrives back in Manila.

8 November 1944:
At 1030, TAKATSU MARU, KINKA MARU and KASHII MARU, carrying 10,000 men of the 26th Infantry Division and 3,500 tons of munitions, depart Manila into typhoon seas escorted by Rear Admiral Matsuyama's kaibokan OKINAWA and Admiral Kimura's destroyer screen of KASUMI (F), USHIO, AKISHIMO, ASASHIMO, NAGANAMI and WAKATSUKI. All proceed under the cover of the storm to Ormoc Bay, Luzon.

9 November 1944:
From 1659-1810 the ships are attacked by 4 B-25s and 20 P-38s. In the evening at 1825, the convoy arrives Ormoc Bay.

10 November 1944:
SHIMUSHU and DesDiv 31's ASASHIMO and NAGANAMI stand by as KINKA MARU unloads material. About 1000, 30 B-25s hit and sink TAKATSU (KOZU) MARU with all hands. She was with Army's 72nd Specially Established Machine Cannon Unit with its twelve Type 96 25mms. 104 crewmen and 243 troops are KIA. KASHII MARU is hit several times and explodes after the survivors abandon ship. She was carrying 1200 troops including Army's 68th Specially Established Machine Cannon Unit with its twelve Type 98 20mm and equipment. Three crewmen and 16 troops are KIA. CD-13 is damaged by near-misses. Two CD-13 sailors are wounded in strafing attacks. CD-11 is set afire and beached. Later, she is scuttled by CD-13 at 10-51N, 124-32E. SHIMUSHU claims a B-25. N of Cebu. That same day, the convoy is attacked by P-38 fighter-bombers. AKISHIMO's bow is blown off.

Sibuyan Sea. That same day, transport CELEBES MARU runs hard aground on a reef. Subchaser CH-46 is detached to guard CELEBES MARU. Admiral Kimura directs Admiral Matsuyama to carry CELEBES MARU's troops to Ormoc in CD-13 and SHIMUSHU.

11 November 1944:
At 2315 CD-13 arrives back at Manila.

12 November 1944:
CD-13 and SHIMUSHU reach the location of CELEBES MARU at 1630, but they cannot carry out Admiral Kimura's orders to land the troops at Ormoc and return to Manila.

14 November 1944:
At 0200, CD-13 departs Manila for Labuan, Brunei Bay with kaibokan OKINAWA and SHIMUSHU.

17 November 1944:
At 1642 the three kaibokan arrive at Brunei Bay.

18 November 1944:
From 1337-1515 the three kaibokan move to Victoria Harbour, Labuan Island.

19 November 1944:
At 0145, three B-24 make a radar-controlled bombing attack against shipping off Labuan. OKINAWA sustains a near miss. Fuel from Nos. 7 and 9 fuel tanks is leaking into forward part of depth charge magazine, 64 rivets inside engine room are loosened causing oil leakage and an oil pressure pump is damaged. At 0558, CD-13 departs Labuan for Manila with damaged kaibokan OKINAWA and SHIMUSHU, escorting convoy No. 4118, consisting of DOWA and GYOSAN MARUs.

20 November 1944:
At 1210, damaged OKINAWA is detached and proceeds independently toward Singapore.

21 November 1944:
At 1844, in bad weather, LtCdr Richard E. Nichol's (USNA '35) USS BASHAW (SS-241) torpedoes GYOSAN MARU (ex-British HOSANG), but she does not sink. 21 crewmen are KIA. Later, the flaming wreck drifts ashore at Dangerous Ground where it is torpedoed by LtCdr James E. Steven's (USNA '30) USS FLOUNDER (SS-251) and sinks.

22 November 1944:
At 1947, LtCdr Carl Tiedeman's (USNA '33) USS GUAVINA (SS-362) torpedoes and sinks anchored DOWA MARU with the loss of 19 of her crew, at 10-18N, 114-15E. The convoy is dissolved at this point.

26 November 1944:
At 0830 arrives at Manila.

4 December 1944:
At 1155 departs Manila.

5 December 1944:
At 1355 anchors at Lapoc Bay, but departs there at 1715.

7 December 1944:
At 1142 arrives at Takao.

9 December 1944:
At 1731, CD-13 departs Takao with CD-31 escorting convoy TAMO-31 consisting of transport SANUKI MARU and oiler NICHINAN MARU (5175 gt).

15 December 1944:
At 1640, anchors at Kyokin To, Chosen (Korea) coast.

16 December 1944:
At 0545, departs Kyokin To. At 1905, anchors at Karatsu Bay.

17 December 1944:
At 1335, arrives at Moji.

18 December 1944:
At 0751 departs Moji and at 1845 arrives at Sasebo.

19 December 1944:
At 0835 docked for maintenance and repairs.

25 December 1944:
At 1000 undocked.

28 December 1944:
At 1807 departs Sasebo.

29 December 1944:
At 0717 arrives at Moji.

30 December 1944:
At 1623 departs Moji and at 1730 anchors off Mutsure.

31 December 1944:
At 0820, CD-13 departs Moji for Singapore with kaibokan MIKURA, KURAHASHI and YASHIRO, destroyers SHIGURE, HATAKAZE and DesDiv17ís HAMAKAZE and ISOKAZE, escorting convoy HI-87, consisting of fleet oiler KAMOI and tankers TENEI, KAIHO, KUROSHIO, MATSUSHIMA, MITSUSHIMA, MIRI, MUNAKATA and SARAWAK MARUs and passenger-cargo vessel TATSUWA MARU. Light carrier RYUHO provides air cover.

3 January 1945:
At 0900 because of expected air raids on Formosa the convoy anchors in the Chusan Island Group.

4 January 1945:
At 1140 RYUHO and SHIGURE are detached to Ssu Chiao Shan.

5 January 1945:
At 0500 the convoy departs the Chusan Island Group. At 1100 RYUHO and SHIGURE rejoin the convoy.

7 January 1945:
East China Sea. The convoy is sighted by "Loughlin's Loopers" submarine wolf pack consisting of Cdr (later Rear Admiral/MOH) Eugene R. Fluckey's (USNA '35) USS BARB (SS-220) and LtCdr (later Cdr) Evan T. Shepard's (USNA '35) USS PICUDA (SS-382), later joined by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. Loughlin's (USNA '33) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393).

At 0905, in high seas, Shepard's USS PICUDA heavily damages MUNAKATA MARU in the bow. She is assisted by KURAHASHI, then proceeds separately to Kirun (Keelung). The convoy anchors at Shinchiku roadstead, Formosa. At 1300, the convoy is sighted by the wolfpack and tracked. RYUHO and SHIGURE are detached from the convoy and proceed to Kirun. At 1830, in dense fog, the convoy anchors temporarily on the W Formosan coast. The ships then split up and enter Takao's port at different times. MITSUSHIMA MARU suffers an engine breakdown and is detached to Takao escorted by HATAKAZE.

8 January 1945:
At 1200, CD-13, MIKURA, YASHIRO, KAMOI and KAIHO MARU enter Takao Port.

9 January 1945:
Vice Admiral (Admiral posthumously) John S. McCain's (USNA '06) (former CO of RANGER, CV-4) Task Force 38 aircraft attack shipping off Takao At 1200, 17 Grumman TBM "Avengers" and F6F "Hellcats" attack and sink 10,239-ton war-built tanker KAIHO MARU carrying 680 troops of the 30th Shipping Engineer Regiment as well as boy airmen and soldiers, many of whom were 15-16 years old. 324 soldiers and 14 crewmen are KIA. The survivors swim ashore. The attacks that follow heavily damage KUROSHIO MARU and damage CD-13 and kaibokan YASHIRO and MIYAKE.

10 January 1945:
At 1700, the reformed convoy departs Takao for Mako. It now consists of KAMOI, SARAWAK, MATSUSHIMA, MITSUSHIMA and HASHIDATE MARUs escorted by CD-13 with kaibokan CD-41, CD-60 and CD-205, KURAHASHI, KANJU, NOMI, SHINNAN, YASHIRO and MIYAKE and destroyer SHIGURE that rejoins from Kirun. RYUHO and DesDiv 17's HAMAKAZE and ISOKAZE detach from HI-87 and depart for Japan.

12 January 1945:
The convoy receives a radio report that Kirun is under air attack and the ships are ordered to head for Hong Kong, not Mako.

13 January 1945:
At 1100, convoy HI-87 enters Hong Kong.

15 January 1945:
At 0915, there is an air attack on Hong Kong. Over the next two days, all of HI-87's merchant ships except SARAWAK MARU suffer varying degrees of battle damage.

17 January 1945:
At 1930, CD-13 departs Hong Kong for Singapore with destroyer SHIGURE, kaibokan KANJU and MIYAKE escorting tanker SARAWAK MARU to Singapore as convoy HI-87A.

19 January 1945:
At 2000, arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island.

20 January 1945:
SARAWAK MARU embarks 440 IJA troops. At 1856, convoy HI-87A departs Yulin.

24 January 1945:
Gulf of Siam, 160 miles E of Khota Bharu, Malaya. At 0709, LtCdr (later Cdr) William L. Kitch's (USNA '38) USS BLACKFIN (SS-322) torpedoes SHIGURE at 06-N, 103-48 E. She sinks in 10 minutes with 37 sailors KIA. KANJU and MIYAKE rescue 270 survivors. Shortly thereafter, USS BLACKFIN launches a second attack and torpedoes and damages SARAWAK MARU at 05-59N, 103-48E. CD-13 and MIYAKE assist the damaged ship. At 2100 the ships briefly anchor off Kuantan.

25 January 1945:
At 0200 departs Kuantan.

26 January 1945:
At 0100 arrives at Singapore.

4 February 1945:
At 0800 CD-13 departs Singapore for Moji with kaibokan YAKU and CD-31 escorting convoy HI-88-D consisting of ENGEN, DAIGYO and HARUYASU MARUs.

5 February 1945:
A surfaced enemy submarine is sighted at 04-55N, 103-40E. At 0830, the convoy changes course.

6 February 1945:
At 0230, YAKU's lookouts sight a surfaced submarine and the convoy successfully evades. At 2157, Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Frank W. Fenno's (USNA '25) USS PAMPANITO (SS-383) fires six torpedoes and sinks ENGEN MARU loaded with fuel oil, crude rubber, copper, tungsten, antimony and zircon, at 06-31N, 106-12E. 29 crewmen, seven guards and eight passengers are KIA. DAIGYO MARU drops a few depth charges while YAKU searches unsuccessfully for the submarine. CD-31 rescues survivors and returns to Singapore.

7 February 1945:
At 0300, YAKU detects USS PAMPANITO off the port side. The convoy turns away. At 0454, a second submarine, LtCdr Ralph H. Lockwood's (USNA '38) USS GUAVINA (SS-362) fires six torpedoes at the convoy and sinks DAIGYO MARU carrying heavy oil, tin and rubber, at 06-58N, 106-08E. Five crewmen and three passengers are KIA. At about 0800, YAKU finds and rescues the survivors of DAIGYO MARU.

8 February 1945:
At 1820 the convoy makes port at Cape St. Jacques, Indochina where it is dissolved.

9 February 1945:
At 1000 CD-13 departs Saigon.

13 February 1945:
At 1430 arrives at Singapore.

16 February 1945:
At 2100, CD-13 departs Singapore with kaibokan YAKU and subchaser CH-57 escorting convoy HI-88-H consisting of HONAN MARU, oilers EISHO and NICHIYOKU MARUs.

22 February 1945:
At 1045, NICHIYOKU MARU loaded with naval fuel oil, is torpedoed and sunk by LtCdr Henry D. Sturr's (USNA '33) USS BECUNA (SS-319) at 11-30N 109-06E. 32 crewmen and 38 gunners are KIA. The escorts counterattack dropping 65 depth charges, but are unsuccessful. At 1900, the convoy seeks refuge in Nha Trang Bay, Indochina.

23 February 1945:
In the morning, departs Nha Trang Bay. At 1210, YAKU is torpedoed and sunk by LtCdr George H. Laird's (USNA '33) USS HAMMERHEAD (SS-364) at 12-44N, 109-29E. Her CO, LtCdr Mitsui Kiyoi, and 132 crewmen are KIA. CD-13 counterattacks the submarine, dropping 42 depth charges during a 4-hour chase. She continues the search for YAKU's survivors until 2225.

25 February 1945:
Convoy HI-88-G arrives at Tourane, Indochina and merges with convoy HI-88-H. The convoy now consists of HONAN MARU and oilers EISHO MARU, YAEI MARU No. 1 and TAKASAGO MARU No. 2 escorted by CD-13, CD-31 and subchasers CH-20 and CH-57. Later that day CD-31 departs on an anti-submarine sweep.

27 February 1945:
Early that morning CD-31 arrives at Tourane. At 0800, departs Tourane.

28 February 1945:
At 1600, arrives at Yulin, Hainan Island, China.

1 March 1945:
At 1100, departs Yulin. At 2300, the convoy is attacked by a single large bomber. At 2314, EISHO MARU is bombed and sunk at 18-32N, 108-16E. She was loaded with petroleum and carrying 99 passengers. Casualties are unknown.

2 March 1945:
Arrives at Linkao Bay, Hainan Island.

3 March 1945:
At 0115, while still in Linkao Bay preparing to leave, three aircraft attack. YAEI MARU No. 1 is bombed and sunk at 20-10N, 109-31E. 12 crewmen, one gunner and seven passengers are KIA. At 0730 departs port.

4 March 1945:
Arrives at Hsia Chuan Tao, near Hong Kong.

5 March 1945:
Departs Hsia Chuan Tao.

14 March 1945:
At 1950 arrives at Sunichi To (Saengu To), Chosen.

15 March 1945:
At 0500 departs Sunichi To.

17 March 1945:
At 0300, arrives at Mutsure and soon after transfers to Moji. At 1615 departs and later arrives at Iwai Shima.

18 March 1945:
Departs Iwai Shima and at 1230 arrives at Kure. Undergoes repairs.

5 May 1945:
At 1133, when navigating Kii Channel, CD-13 is attacked by aircraft. Her port-side diesel is disabled by a near miss and the escort goes dead in the water. Eleven sailors, including the gunnery officer, are killed; a total of 40, including the current CO, Reserve LtCdr Kondo Genichi, are wounded.

8 May 1945:
Reserve Lt Mizusawa Sadanori (former CO of W-41) is appointed the new CO.

2 June 1945:
At 1700, CD-13 departs Pusan, Korea with kaibokan OKI for Tsingtao, China escorting convoy FUTA-01, consisting of YAHIKO MARU.

3 June 1945:
At 1015, the convoy is attacked by aircraft, but does not sustain damage. At 1355, the convoy anchors at Kai Island, SW Korea. OKI is detached and returns to Pusan.

7 June 1945:
At 0925 arrives at Tsingtao.

11 June 1945:
At 1800 CD-13 departs Tsingtao with KUGA, escorting the Pusan-bound convoy TAFU-03.

14 June 1945:
Off the SW coast of Korea. The convoy is targeted by an Okinawa-based Consolidated PB4Y-2B "Privateer", which drops a radar-guided "Bat" glide bomb from the altitude of 13,000 ft. The bomb passes between CD-13 and KUGA, exploding shortly after striking the water.

Hindered by fog, the convoy makes an overnight stop off the Korean coast.

15 June 1945:
TAFU-03 arrives at Pusan.

16 June 1945:
At 0807 arrives at Chinkai.

23 June 1945:
At 0510 departs Chinkai and at 1951 arrives at Pusan.

24 June 1945:
Departs Pusan escorting KATORI MARU (890 gt). At 1130 KATORI MARU is detached for nearby port. At 1930, CD-13 departs Gainichiwan (Yongil Bay), Chosen (Korea) with kaibokan CD-2 and YASHIRO escorting convoy SEINAI-04, consisting of ENRYAKU, MATSUURA MARUs and tanker YAMANAMI MARU.

26 June 1945:
At 0758, arrives at Hagi.

27 June 1945:
At 1045, arrives Maizuru. The convoy is dissolved.

14 August 1945:
Off Kamicho Bight near Maizuru. At 1035, Cdr (later Rear Admiral-Ret) Bafford E. Lewellen's (USNA '31) USS TORSK (SS-423) launches experimental Mark 28 acoustic torpedoes that sink CD-47 at 35-42N, 134-36E. The kaibokan had been escorting a medium-size freighter. As the freighter enters the harbor half an hour later, USS TORSK unsuccessfully attempts to sink her.

Around noon, CD-13 arrives from Sakai harbor. Her sonar crew soon detects USS TORSK's presence. Lwellen submerges to 400 feet and launches two new Mark 27 "Cutie" acoustic torpedoes by sonar bearings. At 1225 the lookouts on CD-13 report two torpedo wakes and the escort attempts to avoid them. She receives one hit to the stern and develops a list to starboard. At 1235 the order to abandon ship is given. At 1255, CD-13 sinks at 35-41N, 134-35E. A total of 28 sailors are lost. USS TORSK is held down by enemy planes and patrol vessels for more than seven hours. Later she is credited with sinking the last Japanese warship sunk in World War II.

15 September 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors' Note:
[1] Landing craft depot ship TAKATSU MARU's name can also be rendered as KOZU MARU, KOTSU MARU or KOSHIN MARU.

Thanks go to Gilbert Casse of France.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Peter Cundall

Back to Escort Page